Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already made clear the point for which I opened this topic: the expression I AM is not biblical, nor does it matter to God who uses it, much less to Jesus, who never spoke of something like that. It is a fanciful invention of some speculators who like to imagine things and invent wacky ideas to impress others about their supposed "enlightenment".

1) It is not the translation of any Hebrew expression that has been used in relation to God. Probably an expression from Jewish mysticism or some agnostic sect of the past.

2) The Christians of the first century were completely unaware of that supposed way of calling God, and much less would it be something with which they would identify Jesus Christ.

3) When using the LXX, they read in a very different way the text that the inventors of that phrase use to give it some sense that they imagine it has, since in Greek it is a different expression.

4) That phrase was not even known to Tyndale, in his translation that he made into English of the text of Exodus, since he translated it in the future tense, as the Hebrew phrase is correctly translated. So the inventor of this supposed way of calling God, who didn't even know Hebrew to do something like that, lived not even before the sixteenth century.

The conclusion is that the one who uses that phrase is only following the game of an inventor, a human being, who wanted to associate Jesus with God and believed that inventing such an imaginary idea could give him some result... And yes, it did give him results with people who don't study, but kindly I share some timely information to help them understand the reality on this matter.

You are welcome.

Reactions: APAK and Wrangler

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I already said: I already made my point. Whoever is new to the topic, he can read behind some good points. I am not the kind of person who like to repeat and repeat and repeat the same when it is already clear.

This is my last post in the topic. Hopefully some interested persons can make some use of the information I gave to them.

Thanks for your attention.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the inventor of this supposed way of calling God, who didn't even know Hebrew to do something like that, lived not even before the sixteenth century.

The conclusion is that the one who uses that phrase is only following the game of an inventor, a human being, who wanted to associate Jesus with God and believed that inventing such an imaginary idea could give him some result... And yes, it did give him results with people who don't study, but kindly I share some timely information to help them understand the reality on this matter.

You are welcome.

Great analysis!

The more I study, the more I find the idolatry of the trinity compensates with emotional and psychological investment for a complete lack of explicit Biblical teaching.

In the last month, the psychological investment has been shown numerous times in identifying as "the Father" who Scripture explicitly states to be God - in his unitarian nature. Ex. Whose voice was it who said 'this is my son in whom I am well pleased?' The answer is God, for Jesus is not called the son of the father. The answer is God - in his unitarian nature.

The apoplectic repeating of 'the word was with God' and devotion to Ex 3:14's I am, in abject denial of Ex 3:15, where God explicitly identifies his name to be known for all generations, is further telling of this psychological investment in the idolatry of the trinity.

Reactions: APAK

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
names-of-god-i-am-yhwh1.jpg

So what is the Hebrew word in your picture in English maam?

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His name isn't God either....He IS God but that is not His name. So how do you reconcile calling Him God when that is not His name....and then challenge the English interpretation of I Am as incorrect?
You are factually and scripturally wrong. "God" is a name. It is one of His many names. The people who usually claim that "God" isn't a name consistently fail to read Exo. 6:3 where He outright tells Moses that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob knew Him as "God Almighty". Other passages show people referring to Him as "Eternal God", "the Eternal of hosts", "the Eternal", "Lord Eternal", "Most High", or "Most High God".

Eph. 3:14-15 solidifies everything i have stated as fact where it plainly teaches that Christian are named after God and carry His name, just like a human child carries the very name of their father:

"For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,"

There is simply no disputing the fact that "God" is a name, as the 3rd Commandment expressly forbid anyone from misusing or dishonoring it:

“You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

In light of what all of those passages clearly prove, it makes no logical sense whatsoever to argue or claim that "God" is just a title.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are factually and scripturally wrong. "God" is a name. It is one of His many names. The people who usually claim that "God" isn't a name consistently fail to read Exo. 6:3 where He outright tells Moses that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob knew Him as "God Almighty". Other passages show people referring to Him as "Eternal God", "the Eternal of hosts", "the Eternal", "Lord Eternal", "Most High", or "Most High God".

Eph. 3:14-15 solidifies everything i have stated as fact where it plainly teaches that Christian are named after God and carry His name, just like a human child carries the very name of their father:

There is simply no disputing the fact that "God" is a name, as the 3rd Commandment expressly forbid anyone from misusing or dishonoring it:

In light of what all of those passages clearly prove, it makes no logical sense whatsoever to argue or claim that "God" is just a title.
I disagree with your interpretation and understanding of scripture...

1st commandment: Thou shall not worship any other gods before me.
3rd commandment: Thou shall not take "the name" of the Lord God in vein.

What name? The name of the Lord God....and He has more than one name but many call Him YHWH, Jehovah.....well here is a link to one web source.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I Am The Lord that is My Name" In the beginning of my journey, The Lord had a faithful servant deliver to me a birthday card. And on this card was a picture of a beautiful place, full of spruce trees. When I look out my window today, I see exactly what was in that picture, that back then, I did not know existed. And the card was signed, "I AM".
Isaiah 42 vs 8

Reactions: Heart2Soul

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His name is not I am. What you are identifying is eisegesis.
From your preferred translation:

The Voice

Eternal One: 14 I AM WHO I AM.[a] This is what you should tell the people of Israel: “I AM has sent me to rescue you “

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Sir, we both realize that God is a spirit but Jesus is not only the Son of GOD but He is also what He says He is throughout the scriptures.
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 1:18 - No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father,he hath declared him.
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 3:16 - For God so-loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 3:18 - He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. —— God only has one begotten Son

Reactions: WalterandDebbie