Who managed to quit smoking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you quit smoking?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, not yet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Never started to smoke

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not see a true child of God actually wanting to disobey Him, permissible or not. It's like an oxymoron to me, lol.
Nancy, it is a surety that only those who do not know God or those who pretend to know him are full of slippery language and justifications for their sin. They dress their rebellion in seductive language as the serpent did with Eve. They invent ways which trap the unsuspecting. They have left the straight path if ever they were on it and followed the way of Balaam.

Reactions: brakelite and Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nancy, it is a surety that only those who do not know God or those who pretend to know him are full of slippery language and justifications for their sin. They dress their rebellion in seductive language as the serpent did with Eve. They invent ways which trap the unsuspecting. They have left the straight path if ever they were on it and followed the way of Balaam.
On the specific subject of the thread, C H Spurgeon happened to come to a different conclusion.

Reactions: Helen

elijahgeneration

Feb 6, 2015
Faith
Christian
I have not been a smoker, nut my sister used to smoke a lot. She stopped overnight! Some people can do that, others not. It's very individual. So people should never start in the first place haha.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have not been a smoker, nut my sister used to smoke a lot. She stopped overnight! Some people can do that, others not. It's very individual. So people should never start in the first place haha.
Glad you managed to avoid it; and glad your sister managed to quit! (do you remember how many years it was before she eventually quit?)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Agreed. We call them pew warmers, going through the motions and always looking for loopholes, they sear their consciences and their hearts are not in a right relationship with the Lord. It's just that in my own mind, I find it inconceivable that a true child of God would even consider sinning, instead of learning to hate sin as He does.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excuse me; I don't smoke. It's @stunnedbygrace who is the smoker and she has indicated that she has a clear conscience; so who made either you or me lords over her conscience?
What is sin for one....if we are going to criticize other Christians who smoke, then you would have to include anyone who eats food not healthy, does not exercise their bodies. Nicotine is horribly addictive and those satanic tobacco companies started to even add more nicotine when they were trying for the new generation in the 70's so as to hook them fast and strong. It took me many years to kick that habit out of my life. We are still human and we are far from perfect, our sister I am sure, would not be smoking around who would be tempted to re-start that habit and in so doing would be placing a stumbling block before them. Just my take ♥

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What we sow in the flesh so shall we reap! what we sow in the Spirit so shall we reap! Know you not, that the body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. Our physical body will not enter the Kingdom, only a Glorified Body, Cleansed and Purified!
You see I think that eating Pork is against Gods will!!!!! Maybe I am right and Maybe I am wrong, will eating Pork keep you from entering the Kingdom???????????????? It might get you there sooner, ??????????????? What about drinking? In the old Testament God Said, when you come up to the Feast, bring all your Tithe, and buy what you desire, even Strong Drink, is it sin! We need to leave what we think to God's scale of Judgement. Is it what we eat or drink that God judge's, or is it OUR HEART'S!!!!!?????

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Glad you managed to avoid it; and glad your sister managed to quit! (do you remember how many years it was before she eventually quit?)

My own father quit over night. So did my husbands father.
But that was decades ago.
I happen to believe that it is true what they say...and addictive stuff is added to the Tobacco and has been for years...that is why it's almost impossible to quit.
It all comes down to money as usual. Addiction is the name of the game. "Back then" they could take it or leave it...plus it was not so deadly. Posted last year....they add stuff ...
US Tobacco Companies Tell the Truth About Addictive Products

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After I Posted #24, it came to my little mind that we are going to be Judged Independently, so what I do will not be reckoned to anyone else! We are responsible for Our Own Action's, So with our God Given Right's, also carries Our God Given Responsibility's!

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
After I Posted #24, it came to my little mind that we are going to be Judged Independently, so what I do will not be reckoned to anyone else! We are responsible for Our Own Action's, So with our God Given Right's, also carries Our God Given Responsibility's!

Agree...which takes us back to personal hearing. And obeying what we hear in the ear...not what someone else tells us that God told them.

Reactions: Truth and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed...we will be riding NO ONES coattails!! We will stand with Jesus or alone.

Reactions: Truth and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, God is always looking at the heart of people. According to what is in the heart when the person starts smoking or stops smoking or makes an effort to stop will God judge. What is clearly sin to one person may not be so clearly sin for another who apparently makes the same choice with seemingly the same effort.