Whosoever is born of God does not commit sin.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:7-9
7) Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8) He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9) Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Why do so many people interpret this passage to mean,

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit much sin . . .

Whosoever is born of God does not regularly commit sin . . .

Is that what it says?

upload_2021-2-11_15-31-33.png
"Sin not is doing".

Now, I know some people that point to the Present tense of "Is doing", and explain it as if it were a participle, continuing action.

Some call this "the habit of sin".

What which is born of God sins not. True? Or not true?

Of course it is true . . . but how is this so?

Much love!

Last edited:

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:7-9
7) Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8) He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9) Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Why do so many people interpret this passage to mean,

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit much sin . . .

Whosoever is born of God does not regularly commit sin . . .

Is that what it says?

View attachment 13299
"Sin not is doing".

Now, I know some people that point to the Present tense of "Is doing", and explain it as if it were a participle, continuing action.

Some call this "the habit of sin".

Much love!

Howdy marks,

The new creation, that is, the new birth does not sin... It can’t, because it is the life of Christ in one...

Christians still sin because they are not yet under the total control of that new life that was born in them at the time of salvation...

The more control that new life has in one to that degree can and will they walk in newness of life..

This is what my relationship with Christ has taught me...

Be blessed marks as He works all things in those that are His..

A fellow believer, Not me

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Howdy marks,

The new creation, that is, the new birth does not sin... It can’t, because it is the life of Christ in one...

Christians still sin because they are not yet under the total control of that new life that was born in them at the time of salvation...

The more control that new life has in one to that degree can and will they walk in newness of life..

This is what my relationship with Christ has taught me...

Be blessed marks as He works all things in those that are His..

A fellow believer, Not me
We've got good things inside just bustin' to come out!

Much love!

Reactions: Not me

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The context of his letter shows he isn't saying the born again person lives in sinless perfection. Nor is he referring to the believers legal declaration of sinlessness. The born again person does not live in a mindset and lifestyle of sin, like the unbeliever does.

Reactions: Wrangler

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of his letter shows he isn't saying the born again person lives in sinless perfection. Nor is he referring to the believers legal declaration of sinlessness. The born again person does not live in a mindset and lifestyle of sin, like the unbeliever does.
As far as I'm concerned, we need to be able to reconcile the context of the letter with the individual statements made, as well as maintaining harmony with the rest of Scripture, while not negating or changing the meaning of any words used.

That which is born of God does not sin. Another way to to communicate the same truth is to say, God does not give birth to things that sin. That which is born of God does not sin.

The new man is not the sinner.

If your theology leads you to verses where you have to say, It says that, but it really means something different, I'd question, does it REALLY mean something different? Or is does the theology need a little refining?

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as I'm concerned, we need to be able to reconcile the context of the letter with the individual statements made, as well as maintaining harmony with the rest of Scripture, while not negating or changing the meaning of any words used.

That which is born of God does not sin. Another way to to communicate the same truth is to say, God does not give birth to things that sin. That which is born of God does not sin.

The new man is not the sinner.

If your theology leads you to verses where you have to say, It says that, but it really means something different, I'd question, does it REALLY mean something different? Or is does the theology need a little refining?

Much love!
I'm just comparing what John says about the born again person with the person who is not born again. The context is outward, visible behavior. IOW, we know he's talking about actual behavior, not legal standing, or the inner man by contrasting the not doing of sin by the born again person with the doing of sin by the not born again person. He makes it a point that you know the born again person from the not born again person by if they live righteously or not. We can't see the inner man of the born again person, so we know he's not talking about that.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just comparing what John says about the born again person with the person who is not born again. The context is outward, visible behavior. IOW, we know he's talking about actual behavior, not legal standing, or the inner man by contrasting the not doing of sin by the born again person with the doing of sin by the not born again person. He makes it a point that you know the born again person from the not born again person by if they live righteously or not. We can't see the inner man of the born again person, so we know he's not talking about that.
We still need to understand, accept, and form our doctrine by the actual words written, and what they mean.

In this case it's a very simple and plain statement. Whatever is born of God does not sin. Period. If you want to reinterpret that statement to mean something other than what it says, that's your choice, but that is what you are doing.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just comparing what John says
In reality what you are doing is changing the meaning of a verse to make it fit better to what you understand about Christianity.

Much love!

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In reality what you are doing is changing the meaning of a verse to make it fit better to what you understand about Christianity.

Much lovde!
You show me using context that he's talking about the inner man, and I'll show you using context that he's talking about the outer doings of the man that are visible to everyone.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We still need to understand, accept, and form our doctrine by the actual words written, and what they mean.

In this case it's a very simple and plain statement. Whatever is born of God does not sin. Period. If you want to reinterpret that statement to mean something other than what it says, that's your choice, but that is what you are doing.

Much love!
You are interpreting it outside of, and in resistance to, the context of everything he's saying. You are the one who is not going by "the actual words written, and what they mean."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are interpreting it outside of, and in resistance to, the context of everything he's saying. You are the one who is not going by "the actual words written, and what they mean."
No . . . I'm pointing to what John wrote, and what those words mean.

It doesn't make sense to you, so your response to change the meanings of the words.

Hey, not every part of the Bible makes sense to me, but I'd like to think that I know better than to just re-write it to suit my doctrine. I think it's a lot more worthwhile do discover what may be incorrect in my doctrine should I find myself in conflict with the test.

Whosoever is born of God does not sin.
Simple statement. Accept or reject it.

Much love!