why an alar?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you give me an example of technology being revealed from heaven? I can't think of one.

Hope you don't mind if I wade in on this! When Moses began to build the Tabernacle in the wilderness, God gave men the Knowledge to work the gold into the designs Moses was shown by God on the Mountain, these were not simple designs. So if God gave men the wisdom to do such work, where do you think the Knowledge for Technology come's from, IMO all wisdom come's from God! Just a thought to consider!!

Reactions: Helen and Armadillo

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"We read here that the stripes were specifically “white” – “and (Jacob) peeled white stripes in (the rods).” The Hebrew word for “white” used here is “laban.” This should strike you as being unique, insomuch that it is the identical Hebrew word as his father-in-law’s name for whom he was laboring – Laban." http://www.remnantbride.com/pdffiles/the_rod.pdf

I have herd that before, most people have not, great stuff !!

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"
The smoothness of Jacob is denoted with the word חלק (halaq), and comes from yet another root-twin, namely חלק(halaq). Root חלק (halaq), from which our word supposedly comes, means to be smooth or slippery. This word is sometimes used to denote slippery stones or bald mountains but most often to denote flattery and slander. The other root, חלק (halaq), denotes sharing, dividing or apportion, mostly of plots of land.

There are at least two instances in which HAW suggests that a derived word was placed under the wrong root. In many translations Hosea 10:2 speaks of a 'divided' heart but probably better would be a 'slippery' heart. And in 1 Samuel 23:28 occurs the name Sela-hammahlekoth, and the question is whether this denotes a place called Slippery Rock (yes says BDB; probably not, says HAW) or Rock Of Divisions, as some others have it, or Rock Of Escapes (after an Akkadian root meaning to escape)..." Hair in the Bible - word study

alla sudden we are dancing around the meaning of "altar" here very closely i guess

Reactions: Helen

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you don't mind if I wade in on this! When Moses began to build the Tabernacle in the wilderness, God gave men the Knowledge to work the gold into the designs Moses was shown by God on the Mountain, these were not simple designs. So if God gave men the wisdom to do such work, where do you think the Knowledge for Technology come's from, IMO all wisdom come's from God! Just a thought to consider!!
That wasn't the kind of thing I was thinking about. God inspired Bezalel and the other craftsmen to make the Tabernacle and its furnishings to the correct design. But He didn't teach them how to work gold, spin yarn, cut gemstones, weave cloth, etc. They already knew how to do these things.
On another level, you're right, all our wisdom and knowledge come ultimately from God. But we had to use our own God-given brains to invent the wheel, the loom, the plough, the computer, etc. They didn't come to us by special revelation.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They didn't come to us by special revelation.

Or maybe they did!!
At the very least "the skill" was a gift ref the Tabernacle...they already had the skill when they were called upon to work the Gold.

Reactions: pia

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That wasn't the kind of thing I was thinking about. God inspired Bezalel and the other craftsmen to make the Tabernacle and its furnishings to the correct design. But He didn't teach them how to work gold, spin yarn, cut gemstones, weave cloth, etc. They already knew how to do these things.
On another level, you're right, all our wisdom and knowledge come ultimately from God. But we had to use our own God-given brains to invent the wheel, the loom, the plough, the computer, etc. They didn't come to us by special revelation.

Yes! I do agree, Jules Vern wrote about atomic submarine's and underwater breathing tank's in the 1800's, so the Imagination of man does bring about Invention! But consider the atom bomb, the end of the world is to be by fire, and what a fire an atom bomb will make, so was this an invention of man or knowledge given by God or both. I do declare! that nuk's will be a factor in the end. No doubt about it!

Last edited:

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
e an example of technology being revealed from heaven
I have heard many writers, musicians and inventors talk about, how something suddenly just popped into their heads , as a whole, and other times they would say :" I saw it in a dream"........ That is why I think it came through a type of revelation ..

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
They "offered" their offerings "unto the LORD", right?
yes, and it is put in such a way that one can assume an altar, but there is no external altar, right. So find the altar in the story and the point kind of clarifies imo. Remember how you thought life was going to be, and how you thought adults would deal with problems when you were a little kid? But then you mature, and learn how the "world really is" right. So, soon after your Adam and Eve experience, your Cain kills your Abel; you kill your shepherd and begin plowing your own ground (trusting in your own way).

prolly other reflections in there, but note how this is the only illustration of sacrificing that mentions the sacrificer's pursuit or job or whatever, and the only one that has no altar. (H)Abel (Vanity, Breath)("vanity of vanities; all is vanity," comes from the same word), the other Abel (Stream or Brook, Meadow, Mourning) in Scripture adds more (where Joab kills his cousin Amasa). Cain (Spear, Smith, Acquisition), and the other Cains add more to that. It's a revised Romulus and Remus, by many informed accounts.

Sethites were big on tents and music (Cain's area) and Kenites are Cain (post Noah)
most of this ripped from here, where the other authoritative etymologies are discussed also
The amazing name Abel: meaning and etymology
The amazing name Cain: meaning and etymology

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

you are wrong about Bezaleel

Exo 31:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah: 3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, 4 To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, 5 And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship.

so you don't know what your are talking about there, and technically to know is to receive revelation. without revelation one doesn't know.

in Daniel the Lord speak of the time when knowledge will be increased and men will travel to and fro or something to that effect.

today even military supremacy is intelligence (information) and mobility. not to mention what would take two years or more to cross the now US before trains were established now is done in three hours. all human history before the trains it would have taken two years or more. the sudden change is not a coincidence or some greatness of mankind. creation is designed to fulfill the will of its Creator according to His Judgements.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact of the matter is simply that Scripture just doesn't tell us.
Kind of like the way Scripture doesn't give us instructions on how to Baptize.
He left that up to His Church to give the instructions.

Not everything is spelled out in Scripture.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a question about Altars:
Since Protestants don't believe that there is any need for an altar anymore - why do you guys have "Altar Calls"?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a question about Altars:
Since Protestants don't believe that there is any need for an altar anymore - why do you guys have "Altar Calls"?

or maybe its a alter call to change or cause to change in character or composition, typically in a significant way. many protestant services use that call for repentance of people that are already born again, but you should take note that there is no altar of sacrifice in most of, if not all protestant churches. and nobody is sacrificing wafers calling it the presence of Christ, labeling it as a Holy Sacrifice. which is contrary to the fact that the sacrifice has been done already little less than 2000 yr.'s ago.

anyway the subject is, why an altar? why don't you talk about that.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or maybe its a alter call to change or cause to change in character or composition, typically in a significant way. many protestant services use that call for repentance of people that are already born again, but you should take note that there is no altar of sacrifice in most of, if not all protestant churches. and nobody is sacrificing wafers calling it the presence of Christ, labeling it as a Holy Sacrifice. which is contrary to the fact that the sacrifice has been done already little less than 2000 yr.'s ago.

anyway the subject is, why an altar? why don't you talk about that.
Thank you for that roundabout dodging of my question.
As for Christ's Sacrifice - it's ETERNAL (Rev. 13:8).

As for why an altar for offering sacrifice - ask God.
NOT everything is spelled out explicitly in Scripture . . .

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have been horribly misinformed regarding Sola Scriptura. Observe:

6. The whole counsel of God, concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture; unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit, or traditions of men. Nevertheless, we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word, and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the Church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed. 1689 London Baptist Confession - The Holy Scripture

So much for your strawman complaint. The notion that "everything is spelled out in Scripture" has never been a part of Sola Scriptura. It does however guard The Faith against Rome's abuse, i.e. creating doctrine out of whole cloth that contradicts or attempts to supersede God-breathed Scripture.

Reactions: Truth

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have been horribly misinformed regarding Sola Scriptura. Observe:

6. The whole counsel of God, concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture; unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit, or traditions of men. Nevertheless, we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word, and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the Church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed. 1689 London Baptist Confession - The Holy Scripture

So much for your strawman complaint. The notion that "everything is spelled out in Scripture" has never been a part of Sola Scriptura. It does however guard The Faith against Rome's abuse, i.e. creating doctrine out of whole cloth that contradicts or attempts to supersede God-breathed Scripture.

I am not a learned person, but I do have a grip on comprehension, and I do believe that My Wife and I have been lead of the Spirit into Truth's that are avoided by most Churches today! After reading your response, it was a refreshing statement which I am grateful for. when I was introduced to our Savior, I had no clue what an alter call was, but when it was given, Praise God I went forward, and received the GIFT of Salvation, I accepted the Sacrifice, rely not knowing what I was doing! So I guess that in the Catholic Church nobody just walk's in who have no understanding about God, so there is no [alter call] to ask anyone if they would like to partake of the Gift that is for anyone to accept.
I know there is no alter there, but when we accept our Savior, in essence we present ourselves as a living Sacrifice, and the Alter is our Heart! Thanks for your response.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you look into what John the Baptist was doing, and realized that what He was doing you might come to a conclusion that what we call baptize was nothing new to the Hebrew's in His day, for they sent out priest's to ask John why he was baptizing and who he was! The Hebrew people would Mikva> or Baptize before interring the Temple, there were many pool's for this cleansing, not only on the Temple Mount, but all around Jerusalem. Baptiste and or Mikva was an act of immersion in water to wash away sin when confessed and a cleansing from defilement before interring the Temple. There are many examples in the Scripture's in the Law about washing before interring the Camp and or Temple! and Yes I will!!!!!!

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not a learned person, but I do have a grip on comprehension, and I do believe that My Wife and I have been lead of the Spirit into Truth's that are avoided by most Churches today! After reading your response, it was a refreshing statement which I am grateful for. when I was introduced to our Savior, I had no clue what an alter call was, but when it was given, Praise God I went forward, and received the GIFT of Salvation, I accepted the Sacrifice, rely not knowing what I was doing! So I guess that in the Catholic Church nobody just walk's in who have no understanding about God, so there is no [alter call] to ask anyone if they would like to partake of the Gift that is for anyone to accept.
I know there is no alter there, but when we accept our Savior, in essence we present ourselves as a living Sacrifice, and the Alter is our Heart! Thanks for your response.

Thanks for your testimony. I love to hear how the Holy Spirit works in the lives of the heirs of salvation. It's a beautiful thing to behold.