Why did God allow the devil to continue ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boaz

Jan 7, 2014
Why did not God killl satan in the very begining and save us this suffering ?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its simple but will do your head in. First off He told "us" to subdue the world. it is "us" who go handed it to the devil. Secondlt.
!. because of love
2. Free will,
3. And this litttle verse

Luk_7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

I hope you ask God He has all teh answers

B

brakelite

In answer to this first...

Boaz said:
therefore is there going to be a part three to this suffering all over again ?
Na 1:9 What do ye imagine against the LORD? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time. And in answer to this, things get somewhat complicated, but is bound up in a little known study called theodicy. The study of the vindication of God's purposes. It attempts to answer the question of why does bad things happen to good people...why does God allow evil to take place ...etc.

Boaz said:
Now some may wonder, why does God need to be vindicated. Well, He doesn't, but for our sake, He chooses to open Himself up to judgement in order that all may know His true justice in all His dealing with man. Hence the reason man is involved in judging angels. It is all about God being a loving Father and wanting us to know that we can trust Him. After all, that is what Jesus said eternal life is all about. "Knowing thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ who you did send". (John 17:3)
But the principle of why God didn't squelch Lucifer right from the get-go as a former poster said, begins with freedom of choice. In heaven, Lucifer's rebellion was a rebellion against the government of God, and through lies, slander, and deceit, he managed to convince a full third of the angelic host to side with him against God. This obviously did not happen overnight, and you can be sure that God knew what was going on, yet allowed it to continue to play itself out . Why? Because Lucifer's rebellion was not one that involved swords and guns and weapons...it was a war of ideas. Of principles involving God's right to rule, and His system of government. It was, as with all rebellions, one against the laws of the prevailing power. So whatever lies and injustices were involved in the charges that Lucifer was making against God, would very likely have been affirmed in the mind of all the angels if God had arbitrarily destroyed Lucifer at that time. Any doubts about God in the remaining /3, would have been confirmed. So destroying Lucife, or Satan, at that time would not have solved the problem. What God had to do, and what He has done and is still in the processing of doing, is to destroy the ideas that Lucifer planted in the minds and hears of men, because after having been turfed out from heaven, Satan continued his warfare here. And it has been extremely successful. The vast majority of mankind has the completely wrong idea about who God is, and His true character and nature. Even in the church, most have only a very vague conception as to the character of God....this was a major part of Jesus ministry...to reveal to mankind the love of the Father.
The trouble coming upon the world, the depth of evil that is even now beginning to develop, will, when fully matured, convince everyone that Satans ways...that is living in rejection to the laws of God as he successfully tempted Adam and Eve to do, is futile and is rebellion. Man will finally realize that God's laws are laws of love, kindness, and are not, nor ever have been. a burden or detrimental to the well-being of man. Then God's ways will be fully vindicated, and that knowledge and understanding among the redeemed, ill be all they need to choose never to sin or offend again.

Sure, many will not see things that way....it is somewhat complicated I know, but it is the best answer I can offer, and the only one that makes complete sense. At least to me. If you want to learn more, or get a more complete picture, google theodicy.

irondumpty

Aug 7, 2016
Boaz said:
Because the problem will not be solved.
With free will comes disobedience. To allow free will is to choose to let the consequences of choice reach its logical conclusion.

More angels would eventually sin if they don't see the penalty of sin in the rebel angels. If God did that to Adam and Eve and made more humans, free will would just cause the new ones to sin too

It is against Gods nature to create beings in His image without giving them free will

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think it's a question of grace and glory. Think about our own lives for a second. When God disciplines us, brings us through hardships and trials, he does so to bring us closer to him. The more we trust in him, look to him, worship him, the more joy we get, and the more glory is given to him. God is about his own Glory, and the more glory he gets, the more joy we have!
Now think about it on a cosmic scale. If God had created a perfect world and it had stayed that way, would he be glorified through that? Perhaps. But if, through free will, he is rebelled against, sinned against, and then sends his own son to suffer horribly to save and redeem...! How great is our God! The more grace he gives, the more we glorify him!
There are probably theological terms and ideas here that I just am too dull to get, but I believe it's sort of like a race: there is no glory if it's only one man running against himself. He's just taking a jog. But put in other competitors, and suddenly streaking across the finish line first becomes an incredible moment. If that makes any sense at all...!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Reactions: bbyrd009

bling

May 5, 2009
Satan serves a purpose in helping willing individuals fulfill their earthly objective.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
bling said:
Satan serves a purpose in helping willing individuals fulfill their earthly objective.
Satan in the Hebrew noun means "adversary" like what Peter was doing to the Lord in Matt 16:23.
I especially like how Jesus provides the definition of satan in his rebuke....His response to Peter is “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling-block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things”

ezekiel

Aug 14, 2013
Faith
Country
United States
Most are in locked down til the end of this world but all will be judged then. Satan has requested that some be left that they may bring judgement on Earth. God has granted this til the end. Satan the leader of the fallen ones knows he has just a short time.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Boaz said:

Because had He done that,He would had to kill the 1/3 of His children that followed satan ,goes back to understanding the first erath and heaven age..

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I honestly don't know, but I think it has something to do with free will, and possibly that the devil is a metaphor for the self, the ego. Jesus says to "deny yourself". He goes into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil and all the devil seems to do is say the exact same things our own egos tell us today. One of the noble truths of the Buddha is that the cause of suffering is desire; the desires of the self. Which seems to be quite similar to what Jesus is saying. Get rid of the self and the yoke becomes easy.

One of the more recent popular mythologies seems to spotlight this as well. Darwin's theory of Evolution tells us that "the survival of the fittest" or those who endure to the end will be saved, or reproduce successfully, or live forever etc. The fittest are those who make the smart decisions, the right choices while those who blunder through life making stupid decision aka sins end up suffering miserably and die out, go to hell etc.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the way some of you claim to know the character of God and claim to be biblical scholars really amaze me with your answers.

but knowing God who only knows Good and does good things allow an evil being to run rampant? how is a God who is love put you in a world with evil? do you really think so little of God that He would do it just because he felt like it? would you follow anyone who could promise you God things? i know people who can impart God's peace, God's joy, God's healing and ect. would you follow them instead of God if they could promise you these things? why wouldn't you want to follow people who can give you God's best without having to follow a God which lets you deceive yourself into believing what you wish to believe instead of telling the truth? You all claim God is all that is good and yet He sticks you with a killer. you all claim God is a God who heals but there are so many out there that are sick, crippled, diseased, and ect. why isn't everyone healed? is God selfish by only choosing certain people or is God is unable to heal a person because their sin is stronger than God's healing power? you say God is a God of victory but why is it so many are living in defeat? is sin too powerful for God to overcome?

here are your answers listed in your comments
1. God's love- God is a God of love thus as a loving God, He has to dish out holy and righteous punishment. if one sin is enough for the death penalty for us do you think God who is a God who never changes would let satan off on parole instead of giving him his just reward? #1 impossible
2. our love- our love or how much satan loved has nothing to do with it. as the bible teaches we are not saved by works alone. #2 impossible
3. free will- angels do have free will and according to enoch when they chose the wrong path they were sentenced to hell. so if God held them responsible then what happened to satan? it was not free will that let him go. #3 impossible
4. enticement to sin- since God is a God of Justice then to let satan go so he can cause more evil is wrong. for God is going to punish me for my sins then satan should of been punished for his crimes. #4 impossible
5. God needs to be vindicated for man's sake- this is funny. God needs to explain Himself to us :D . i would sure like to know what scriptural reference you found this in. #5 impossible
6. mercy- man had to sacrifice animals to cover their sins to receive mercy from God. why would a being already labelled for the lake of fire be given mercy?
7. for God's grace and glory- why would a God who only does what is right release a criminal so God can get glory? that is like saying we are going to release all our inmates on death row just so we can get more glory when we capture them again. #7 impossible
8. our nature to sin- isn't this why we were made new creatures in Christ so we can resist sin as Jesus did? if sin was in our nature then Christ should of sinned too somewhere within His lifetime. i think it is because we are still living according to the flesh and not the spirit. remember according to scripture we have the same nature as God so it is our nature to sin then it is God's nature too to sin. #8 impossible
9. satan is here for a reason- i agree with this reasoning but not for you reasons that you listed. i will explain below.
10. satan will bring judgment- i think we all know that it is Jesus who will judge us and not the devil. #10 impossible
11. God did not want to destroy His own children(satan)- God is going to send mankind who are not saved into the lake of fire. if God can send us there do you think a God of justice would not do the same to the devil and his followers? #11 impossible
12. survival of the finest- if this is true then why keep satan because Jesus has already put the devil under our feet. he is powerless. according to the bible we were made a little lower than God. the bible also tells us that the angels are jealous of us. this does not sound like we are inferior but superior to them. #12 impossible

-the answer that comes closest is God has a reason for letting him loose. now what could be the reason? God is just so it has to be a righteous and holy decision. so let us look at todays world and try and compare. when is it ok for criminals to be set free? they could be found innocent but i don't think satan fits in that category. they could of broken out of prison but i doubt satan could of gotten away from God. could they have gotten a pardon? i doubt it because God does not strike me as a God that lets murders, robbers, and ect loose in heaven to commit crimes so why would He do it by allowing them on earth? the last choice i can think of is an agreement. what if God promised lucifer things the same way God promised us through His Word. similar to a crook giving up testimony on their bosses in exchange for no prosecution from the law. so if God made an agreement with lucifer before he fell then God would be have to honor that agreement or break His Word and we all know that God never lies or breaks His Word. which also explains why satan and his angels are already judged for the lake of fire. satan is trying to take as many of us as possible with him. i believe this is revenge for what God has decided the fate of satan and his angels. the bible teaches that the lake of fire was for satan and his angels and not for us but because of how satan corrupted adam and eve and caused all the sin thereafter has put us in the same place as satan in the lake of fire which is why Jesus came to call us back to himself and those that listen will be able to avert their fate. otherwise their fates are already tied to that of satan.

God bless

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7angels

I doubt God would make any agreement or covenant with Lucifer. Especially since He knew what Lucifer was from the very beginning. (John 8:44) " Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him...."

God created Lucifer and allowed him to be in the Garden of Eden and allows him to exist to this day, because it fulfills His purpose. Just like He selected Judas Iscariot as one of the twelve. It fulfilled His purpose. (John 6:70) "Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?"

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands