Why do people worry about sins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Why do people worry about sins?

If a person does NOT have faith, trust and confidence in the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross then his/her sins are counted against them.

If a person has faith, trust, and confidence in the shed blood of Jesus on the cross then that person’s sins are not counted against him/her.

There is no reason for a child of God to worry about their sins of the flesh. They were paid for on the cross. But the others that do not believe this, IMHO, their sins of the flesh remain unforgiving until they do.

It is all about Jesus, His work on the cross. But the religious seem to think that is not enough.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Does unaddressed sin in your life grieve the Holy Spirit? Yes.
Does unaddressed sin in your life put a barrier between you and God? Yes
Does unaddressed sin in your life offend God? Yes
Does unaddressed sin in your life interfere with hearing God's message/calling/communication? Yes
Does unaddressed sin in your life make it more difficult to walk in the way God calls you to? Yes
Can unaddressed sin in your life ruin your witness to other Christians and the unsaved? Yes
Can unaddressed sin lead to other unaddressed sin and a falling away from Jesus? Yes
Are others hurt by your unaddressed sins of the flesh? Yes
Does God call you to do everything possible, including resisting the devil so he will flee you? Yes
Will God completely forgive you and restore you if you turn away from sin? Yes
Will God let you into heaven if you have chronic unaddressed sin that you did not seek forgiveness for before you died? Are you kidding?

The blood of Jesus will wash your sins away.....unless you aren't serious about getting rid of those sins.

Otherwise, why would he have told the woman he kept from being stoned, "Go and sin no more..."

Reactions: Rach1370

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:--Hebrews 12:14

You have indicated that you can make yourself holy. That is the same old "WORKS" theology. Man must complete the work of salvation by his/her works.

Accourding to the scriptures I read, I am no longer under the law of sin and death. I am free.

IMHO, those that think they can make themselves holy by their works are insulting Jesus' work on the cross.

Galatians 3:1-3
Justification by Faith (cf. Romans 4)
1 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified?
2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?
NKJV

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Otherwise, why would he have told the woman he kept from being stoned, "Go and sin no more..."

At the time the women was under the Jewish law of Moses

Does unaddressed sin in your life grieve the Holy Spirit? My sins of the flesh have been addressed by Jesus' blood
Does unadressed sin in your life put a barrier between you and God?[ No, because they have been addressed by Jesus
[Does unaddressed sin in your life interfere with hearing God's message/calling/communication? No, I am not under the law of sin.
Does unaddressed sin in your life make it more difficult to walk in the way God calls you to? No
Can unaddressed sin in your life ruin your witness to other Christians and the unsaved? If my witness is about me and how good I am then my witness is false.
Can unaddressed sin lead to other unaddressed sin and a falling away from Jesus? Not for the child of God born by the Holy Spirit
Are others hurt by your unaddressed sins of the flesh? No
Does God call you to do everything possible, including resisting the devil so he will flee you? The only thing that frees us from sins of the flesh is our faith in Jesus' work on the cross
Will God completely forgive you and restore you if you do not turn away from sin? That is the social moral gospel idea. There is no way a man/women can not commit sins of the flesh.
Will God let you into heaven if you have chronic unaddressed sin that you did not seek forgiveness for before you died?

1 Corinthians 6:11
11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
NKJV
A done deal.

The blood of Jesus will wash your sins away.....unless you aren't serious about getting rid of those sins. I was, and am, serious about the Gospel of Grace.

Romans 7:1-6
Freed from the Law 7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?
2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.
4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another — to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
NKJV

I am dead to the law but religious man wants to place me back under it. I refuse.

Romans 7:22-25
22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
NKJV

The religious see verse 24 as God stopping a person from commiting sins of the flesh. But they ignore the last words of verse 25

The replies reveal those that have faith that Jesus' blood pays for their sins and those that do not.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
[15] For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. [16] Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. [17] So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. [18] For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. [19] For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. [20] Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
(Romans 7:15-20 ESV)

Despite the wonderful gift that Christ died to give us, we still sin. Sin is such a grievous act against God that He sent His Son to suffer and die for it. While we have the promise that we will not be judged for it, or by it at the end, judged instead through the work and blood of Christ, do you really think that the sin we still do just doesn't matter to God any more?

[8] If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [10] If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
(1 John 1:8-10 ESV)

Yes we will be forgiven our sins, but we need to REPENT! That's not a one time deal, it's an ongoing process...daily putting to death that nature and asking for strength and forgiveness.
Do you really want to stand before the throne at the end and tell the Father that all the times you spoke harshly to your friends, every bad thought, every selfish action you did after you were redeemed was justified? That they didn't matter and that you had a right to act as you choose, that you believed in the power of Jesus' sacrifice...but you sure didn't respect it. Because if we continue to wilfully sin without repentance, then we are not respecting what Jesus did for us.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
You have indicated that you can make yourself holy. That is the same old "WORKS" theology. Man must complete the work of salvation by his/her works.

Accourding to the scriptures I read, I am no longer under the law of sin and death. I am free.

IMHO, those that think they can make themselves holy by their works are insulting Jesus' work on the cross.

1 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified?
2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?
NKJV

No one is totally free. where is your yoke.
The yoke is the easy way.
We are as in the Spirit.
The Devil must be free to run loose then as well as his sin has been payed for to. hey!
No ones works does jack it's only the work of Christ in us as all the rest does not cut it.

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
No one is totally free. where is your yoke.
The yoke is the easy way.
We are as in the Spirit.
The Devil must be free to run loose then as well as his sin has been payed for to. hey!
No ones works does jack it's only the work of Christ in us as all the rest does not cut it.

I have to wonder is there is some semantical understandings. Perhaps the OP of RichardBurger has not articulated his point clearly.

Who is really saying that we can make it to heaven on our own steam? I know it is not me, and I am a Catholic.

Coming from a non-denominational upbringing, I can understand some of the point of RicharBurger. I hope to at least restate it in my own words, please correct me RichardBurger if my summary is not to your liking.

The whole point of Richardburger rests in the three qualifications of either having or NOT having the three qualities: Faith, trust, and confidence. Now since the Scripture's meaning of "faith" is the same as "trust" in "pistis" as is demonstrated in James 1.3, 6. πίστις, -εως, ἡ
faith, trust.
I am inclined to assume that Richardburger's "faith" is one of belief in a tenet or a credal statement (credal simply meaning "I believe" as the Nicene and Apostles Creed starts off). So if you "believe" that Christ's work on the cross atones for your sins completely, then that is one aspect. James says even "devils believe" and tremble, so a verbal assent to a belief can not be enough. The second quality is "trust" and this speaks of a relational quality and not a statement of belief. Once could say that a climber trusts his gear to support him should he slip and fall, but with Christ's work it is not a trust in an inanimate set of beliefs or tools. I would have to think that the trust one has is like a trapese artist who trusts their partner to hold onto their hands as they are doing death defying feats. We have to "trust" Christ as we let go of the rope and extend in mid-air that He will catch us as he promises. If Christ did not die and was raised, all is for nothing. The third is "confidence." I'd have to say the distinction seems that all these words are synonomous. How is one to have trust but no confidence? Perhaps this is similiar to fear and courage. As some soldiers relate under pressure and certain death their fears, they got up and did it anyways. I am thinking therefore that "confidence" is more a motivational factor to carry out that trust despite one's faith being assaulted by doubt and one's trust tested.

To me this is the difference, someone is seeing the glass half full and the other is seeing glass half empty. Two different perspective, but one reality.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

If a person does NOT have faith, trust and confidence in the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross then his/her sins are counted against them.

If a person has faith, trust, and confidence in the shed blood of Jesus on the cross then that person’s sins are not counted against him/her.

There is no reason for a child of God to worry about their sins of the flesh. They were paid for on the cross. But the others that do not believe this, IMHO, their sins of the flesh remain unforgiving until they do.

It is all about Jesus, His work on the cross. But the religious seem to think that is not enough.

Hi Richard!
Your OP seems to indicate that it only takes faith, trust and confidence in the shed blood of Jesus on the cross for sins, not to be counted against them...Forgive me if I have this incorrect....but knowing these things are not enough...The bible says we must confess them and not just have knowledge of these things. Sins remain unforgiven if we do not confess them before the Lord.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Blessings!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

(Matthew 5:27-30) “You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina

NKJV
I am sorry you feel that way. But I do not believe that it is by works that you enter the kingdom for that is false. I believe that with the Holy Spirit in your life He will lead you to doing good works and living a holy and righteous life. Not saying that you will be perfect but saying if you do not strive to live right what is the use of you gaining salvation if you are doing the same things you did in your life of sin. Your works should be an evidence, testimony, and fruit of the Holy Spirit and salvation of Jesus Christ that you say that you have. Holy works will not get you into heaven but a holy life in the inside is what God demands!

Even as [in His love] He chose us [actually picked us out for Himself as His own] in Christ before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy (consecrated and set apart for Him) and blameless in His sight, even above reproach, before Him in love. Ephesians 1: 4

That He might present the church to Himself in glorious splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such things [that she might be holy and faultless]. Ephesians 5: 27

But as the One Who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all your conduct and manner of living. 1 Peter 1: 15

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.-Romans 12:1

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
I am sorry you feel that way. But I do not believe that it is by works that you enter the kingdom for that is false. I believe that with the Holy Spirit in your life He will lead you to doing good works and living a holy and righteous life. Not saying that you will be perfect but saying if you do not strive to live right what is the use of you gaining salvation if you are doing the same things you did in your life of sin. Your works should be an evidence, testimony, and fruit of the Holy Spirit and salvation of Jesus Christ that you say that you have. Holy works will not get you into heaven but a holy life in the inside is what God demands!

Even as [in His love] He chose us [actually picked us out for Himself as His own] in Christ before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy (consecrated and set apart for Him) and blameless in His sight, even above reproach, before Him in love. Ephesians 1: 4

That He might present the church to Himself in glorious splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such things [that she might be holy and faultless]. Ephesians 5: 27

But as the One Who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all your conduct and manner of living. 1 Peter 1: 15

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.-Romans 12:1

The religious idea that we can become good "in the flesh" is false. God does not save the flesh. It will go to the grave. It is the spirit that God saves. There is not one soul on this earth that does not sin. REligious people look at the sins of others and not their own.

The thing that made me write the OP is a statement made in a Sunday School setting. The person said "they hoped they were good enough to go to heaven". Their hope was in their being "good enough." It was clear to me that they did not belief that Jesus' work on the cross was enough. Their faith was not in Jesus but in themselves.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The thing that made me write the OP is a statement made in a Sunday School setting. The person said "they hoped they were good enough to go to heaven". Their hope was in their being "good enough." It was clear to me that they did not belief that Jesus' work on the cross was enough. Their faith was not in Jesus but in themselves

Thank you for clarifying your OP...:) you are right, no-one can be good enough to qualify for heaven through works but by faith in Jesus our redeemer.

Blessings!!!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matt 25: 41-46

Did not feed.
Did not give drink.
Did not visit.
Did not clothe.

They are being condemned for all eternity for what they did not DO. Sure SOUNDS like Jesus expects "WORKS."

At the time the women was under the Jewish law of Moses

-- So, when Jesus told her to go and sin no more, it was only because she was under Jewish law?
Meaning that if she became a Christian after Jesus died for her sins, she would not have to worry about continuing to commit that sin because she has a default "forgiven" status whether she choses to stop sinning or not?

The blood of Jesus will wash your sins away.....unless you aren't serious about getting rid of those sins. I was, and am, serious about the Gospel of Grace.

-- Good for you. But my understanding was that this thread wasn't about you.

Simple fact: If a Christian allows a sin to contiue in their lives, not addressing it as God requires, they can indeed die in their sin.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
The religious idea that we can become good "in the flesh" is false. God does not save the flesh. It will go to the grave. It is the spirit that God saves. There is not one soul on this earth that does not sin. REligious people look at the sins of others and not their own.

The thing that made me write the OP is a statement made in a Sunday School setting. The person said "they hoped they were good enough to go to heaven". Their hope was in their being "good enough." It was clear to me that they did not belief that Jesus' work on the cross was enough. Their faith was not in Jesus but in themselves.

I am sorry that you are so upset with me. I just believe for myself that we need t live holy lives. Its not something that works can do it is an inside job. The word of God clearly states that sin will not enter the kingdom of God and that holiness is required! Your works don't get you into Heaven but your works show forth what you store up in your heart and who you believe in. Why are you so against living holy and against people who strive to live holy? i did not insult anyone about their sin I sin every day! But I strive to live holy for God! What scriptures can you find that says that God does not want his people to live holy?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
(1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

(1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
(1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

(1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

Which does not imply that if someone commits a sin he is of the devil. It is talking about those who live sinful lives.

1 John 1:9-10 (ESV)
[sup]9 [/sup]If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [sup]10 [/sup]If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

Which does not imply that if someone commits a sin he is of the devil. It is talking about those who live sinful lives.

1 John 1:9-10 (ESV)
[sup]9 [/sup]If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [sup]10 [/sup]If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies. Anyone who disregards the Law of Moses is ruthlessly put to death on the word of two witnesses or three; and you may be sure that anyone who tramples on the Son of God, and who treats the blood of the covenant which sanctified him as if it were not holy, and who insults the Spirit of grace, will be condemned to a far severer punishment. We are all aware who it was that said: Vengeance is mine; I will vindicate his people. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

(1 John 3: 5 - 6) “ Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him.”

You all believe the Bible is the Word of God, yet the Word tells us that those who sin have never known God. How can one be saved if he or she has never known God?