Why do we use the screen names that we do?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No we can't you will have to ask Iforrest or Angelina...or maybe Heart2Soul can ...if she has the right forum 'permissions'.

How will we know who you are if you change it? Even when I was "ByGrace" I signed my posts Helen...you'll have to sign "Nancy" for us so we know it is you!! :D :D xx

Well, if I decided to ask about this, I would keep my pic up for a bit but...I most likely will not change it. just thought it would be fun :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, u cheater, ok then here is something not many people would know...

What is the tallest monument to Jesus in the world?

Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer) in Brasil is the most well known as he looks over Rio de Janeiro
At 30.1 meters it is huge, but its not the tallest...

Cristo de la Concordia (Christ of Peace) in Bolivia is the tallest statue of Christ at 34.2 meters

But what is the tallest monument to Christ???

Cristo Rei (Christ the King) in Portugal. The statue is 28 meters.

On top on the 82 meter pedestal it is the tallest monument to Christ on earth at 110 meters
People can take the elevator to the top of the pedestal at the feet of Christ

My parents are Portuguese and I've been there before so thats the deeper meaning to my stage name...:p;)
I also have had a Portuguese connection. My step-father, now deceased grew up in the Azores, a Portuguese island group in the Atlantic Ocean. His first language was Portuguese. We used to love to go to the Portuguese celebrations in California. The food was outstanding. My mother, an real Okie [Oklahoman] born in Wewoka with native American blood learned to prepare the incomparable Portuguese Supas, which was as good as the Portugees made it.

Reactions: Mayflower

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hahaha...sluggo-fitting @Willie T , :D Well, not anymore I'm sure but...you did have your day in (bar?) tussles, lol...if I remember correctly!
Yes, I did. The trouble it brought me is the reason I eventually got into teaching REBT. That therapy was used in the Anger Management classes it was "suggested" that I enroll in. (I was the only person there who had not been remanded there by a court.)

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I did. The trouble it brought me is the reason I eventually got into teaching REBT. That therapy was used in the Anger Management classes it was "suggested" that I enroll in. (I was the only person there who had not been remanded there by a court.)

God got you there either way. "suggested" huh? Strongly, I'm sure :D

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember when we had two Nancys on one forum and neither one of them was you. With two we had to be careful so as to not credit the wrong person with the right view or vice versa. Here at least you are the one and only Nancy. Thank you for blessing us with your presence.
I don't know, justbyfaith seems to be kind of a Nancy to me

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wow. Wonderful testimony!

Mine's based off Colossians 3:2-4. "Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For you are dead, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then you shall also appear with Him in glory." It's about humility, and of not desiring to be seen by men. My continual desire and prayer is that the Father so clothe me completely in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Fulness that it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives is me.

The avatar is also based on this. Angels are not visible to earthly eyes (normally, anyway). Easier said than done, of course, but that is my incessant prayer.

Since we're sharing, the avatar also conforms to a video that's always been something of an anthem for me. My desire and calling is to train and lead the army of God to war during the end-times, and encourage them to do greater things in Christ than they ever dreamed possible.

Stunts performed in this video always bring to my mind the verse that says, "they will march every one in his rows, and they shall not break their ranks." (Joel 2:7). I have seen the Blue Angels in person a few times, and admire them for their discipline, and the power to inspire.

I suppose that's more than what was asked for, but it's the full story behind my avatar and my site name.
Watching that video reminded me of an incident when I was surfing alone off the West coast of new Zealand 45 years ago.
Alone in the water, the swell a reasonable size but inconsistent. I was waiting out behind the break line sitting on my board minding my own business, a beautiful fine day with no wind, when a massive roar penetrated my reverie with such force I fell of my board, searching around for whatever monster was about to gobble me up. What I saw was two RNZAF Skyhawks flying about 20 feet above the water and no more than a hundred feet away. Close enough for me to discern the rivets in the metal, and two faces under helmets gazing at me as they flew past.
My heart was bouncing around like a rubber bungi cord and I couldn't surf again that day.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Watching that video reminded me of an incident when I was surfing alone off the West coast of new Zealand 45 years ago.
Alone in the water, the swell a reasonable size but inconsistent. I was waiting out behind the break line sitting on my board minding my own business, a beautiful fine day with no wind, when a massive roar penetrated my reverie with such force I fell of my board, searching around for whatever monster was about to gobble me up. What I saw was two RNZAF Skyhawks flying about 20 feet above the water and no more than a hundred feet away. Close enough for me to discern the rivets in the metal, and two faces under helmets gazing at me as they flew past.
My heart was bouncing around like a rubber bungi cord and I couldn't surf again that day.

Makes for a different day, LoL. I once worked at a Christian publishing company out by the airport where they would go through exercises a few days before the airshow, and I remember seeing them coming down out of the sky at me as I was walking into work.

Made for a different morning when you could hear that business going on overhead : )

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I also have had a Portuguese connection. My step-father, now deceased grew up in the Azores, a Portuguese island group in the Atlantic Ocean. His first language was Portuguese.

Ahh ok, i know os Açores. From there Captain João Fernandes Lavrador is said to have found a secret island which they called "terra nova do bacalhau" (newfoundland of codfish). Secret fishing grounds in the icy waters off Canada... Pre-Columbus

My parents are islanders as well, from Madeira. Beautiful holiday destination (when were humans)
There are heaps more Portuguese people in America, especially the east coast

We used to love to go to the Portuguese celebrations in California. The food was outstanding.

Portuguese people love festivals. There is a festa every week in Portugal somewhere.
Ah memories of a bygone era, when humans were social animals

My mother, an real Okie [Oklahoman] born in Wewoka with native American blood learned to prepare the incomparable Portuguese Supas, which was as good as the Portugees made it.

"Supas"... Maybe ur talking about sopas (soups). My mum has about a dozen different ones I think... MMM yum

Thinking about holidays and festivals as i wrote this made me sad

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh ok, i know os Açores. From there Captain João Fernandes Lavrador is said to have found a secret island which they called "terra nova do bacalhau" (newfoundland of codfish). Secret fishing grounds in the icy waters off Canada... Pre-Columbus

My parents are islanders as well, from Madeira. Beautiful holiday destination (when were humans)
There are heaps more Portuguese people in America, especially the east coast

Portuguese people love festivals. There is a festa every week in Portugal somewhere.
Ah memories of a bygone era, when humans were social animals

"Supas"... Maybe ur talking about sopas (soups). My mum has about a dozen different ones I think... MMM yum

Thinking about holidays and festivals as i wrote this made me sad
Well for me even before this isolationism, my wife and I were already minimal travelers. We loved to travel but our bodies often did not want to cooperate so we could enjoy it. This thing just took us another step into our isolationism.

I've never studied Portuguese and my step-father normally did not speak it in our home unless we had visitors. He had an aunt and uncle who lived up the street in our small California town. His uncle, the "old man"[that is what everyone including his wife called him] had a small vineyard on the hillside behind his house and away from the town. Every year he would make his own red wine, which he shared with anyone who came calling. Perhaps weekly we would go to their home to play dominos or cards. I never learned the card game but sometimes as I grew a little older I was allowed to play dominos with the adults. All of the adults would drink his wine... often to excess.

Once in a while they would give me a small glass of the wine. It was a bit strong, but I would drink it and learned to like it, but they would never allow me to have a second glass. For the old man's sake they would speak a lot of Portuguese. He spoke a poor form of English but he seldom spoke with me anyway. His English was hard to understand. I do remember that he seemed liked an old grouch, but at the same time harmless. He remember him giving me a fig from one of his trees, but when I wanted to ride his bicycle type grindstone [for sharpening metal tools] he would holler at me to get off... that it was not a toy. I would wait to do it again until he was not in sight.

He was a sad old man. No one seemed to like him although I never saw him do anything worse that yell at me for getting on his "bicycle". Everyone among the adults which included sometimes one or more of his 4 sons would be griping at him, speaking at him like he was a little kid. I know he did not like it, but that is how it was. I remember when I was close to being a teenager, my parents told me he had committed suicide with his shotgun. He had always fired off his shotgun at midnight on New Years Eve, but that last time he fired it, it was not New Years. I still remember him clearly. He and his wife were my God parents in the Catholic Church. He never attended mass and she seldom did.

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well for me even before this isolationism, my wife and I were already minimal travelers. We loved to travel but our bodies often did not want to cooperate so we could enjoy it. This thing just took us another step into our isolationism.

I've never studied Portuguese and my step-father normally did not speak it in our home unless we had visitors. He had an aunt and uncle who lived up the street in our small California. His uncle, the "old man"[that is what everyone including his wife called him] had a small vineyard on the hillside behind his house and away from the town. Every year he would make his own red wine, which he shared with anyone who came calling. Perhaps weekly we would go to their home to play dominos or cards. I never learned the card game but sometimes as I grew a little older I was allowed to play dominos with the adults. All of the adults would drink his wine... often to excess.

Once in a while they would give me a small glass of the wine. It was a bit strong, but I would drink it and learn to like it, but they would never allow me to have a second glass. For the old man's sake they would speak a lot of Portuguese. He spoke a poor form of English but he seldom spoke with me anyway. His English was hard to understand. I do remember that he seemed liked an old grouch, but at the same time harmless. He remember him giving me a fig from one of his trees, but when I wanted to ride his bicycle type grindstone [for sharpening metal tools] he would holler at me to get off... that it was not a toy. I would wait to do it again until he was not in sight.

He was a sad old man. No one seemed to like him although I never saw him do anything worse that yell at me for getting on his "bicycle". Everyone among the adults which included sometimes one or more of his 4 sons would griping at him, speaking at him like he was a little kid. I know he did not like it, but that is how it was. I remember when I was close to being a teenager, my parents
they told me he had committed suicide with his shotgun. He had always fired off his shotgun at midnight on New Years Eve, but that last time he fired it, it was not New Years. I still remember him clearly. He and his wife were wife were my God parents in the Catholic Church. He never attended mass and she seldom did.

Oh what a sad ending. A lot of this mans character falls in line with the stereotypical Portuguese person of the time.
But there are a few things that aren't, the elders are usually like Santa Clause, very cheerful.
Portuguese people have a deep Catholic history as well so not going to church and committing suicide is surprising

Reactions: Mayflower

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh what a sad ending. A lot of this mans character falls in line with the stereotypical Portuguese person of the time.
But there are a few things that aren't, the elders are usually like Santa Clause, very cheerful.
Portuguese people have a deep Catholic history as well so not going to church and committing suicide is surprising
Oh I believe the suicide was caused by his loneliness and the fact no one had anything good to say to him or about him. He scarcely knew anyone who was not Portuguese as his English was so bad. His wife did not help the situation.

Our little town of about 1,000 was primarily Catholic with only one Protestant church. The Catholic church was well attended by a great number of Mexican Americans, Filipinos and Portuguese with a small handful of Anglo Saxon types.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can we change our screen names? I know Helen did. Mine is of course, boring ole Nancy..lol. But, I would like to and have been wanting to change it for some time now.

I sent a message to admin requesting that my name be changed to my full name, but didn't get a response.

This is the only forum with which I didn't use my full name, along with FB address. Notwithstanding, anyone who wants to publish their full name or FB address can do so in message footnotes.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, if I decided to ask about this, I would keep my pic up for a bit but...I most likely will not change it. just thought it would be fun :)

So tell us some of the names that you would choose to use, and why? Fun :)

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, I had joined a site awhile back but, I never felt compelled to return. That name was Adonai4me. Another was "Surrendered", "Pressing on" They come and go :)
xo

How fun,...we should all change our avatar name then let the others guess who we used to be! LOL