Why Do You Believe....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This question is an open-ended question specifically pertaining to the reasons believers give credibility to the religious text their faith is built on. Why do you believe the compilation of writings that we call the Bible is what it claims to be?
Because I was baptized as a child and have the Holy Spirit to be with me. Which is Jesus' spirit often felt such that I know him and that he lives. So the bible is true.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Because I was baptized as a child and have the Holy Spirit to be with me. Which is Jesus' spirit often felt such that I know him and that he lives. So the bible is true.
For clarity's sake is it right to understand that you can affirm that the Bible writings are true and of God because an unseen force or power (Holy Breath) has made it known to you?

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For clarity's sake is it right to understand that you can affirm that the Bible writings are true and of God because an unseen force or power (Holy Breath) has made it known to you?
I've come to know God thru the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-25). A person must be baptized and prayed over for that experience. They must take the leap of hope that it's all real.

The holy spirit force and power has been seen by many, Luke 3:22

"And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What we sometimes lose sight of is the fact that when we don't believe what God says, we are accusing Him of lying.
I think there is a middle ground where our incredulty exposes our weakness.

"I believe, help my unbelief!"

God sees our heart, so He knows.

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't take much to explain the 70 weeks.... Where they started... Where they finished... And the waypoint at the 62 week mark. An explanation of history and the application to the scripture. View attachment 18337
Like your chart shows, history of Israel is a pre-requisite. When I came to the Lord, I had absolutely zero knowledge of the history of Israel because I was ignorant of the Scriptures as a whole being completely unchurched/untaught.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will all be held accountable for what we choose, and God's not going to be playing the games people play here. It's going to be real, and true, and absolute.

Much love!
Yes many were caught with their pants down during God's first judgment (Flood) and many more will be caught in the same manner during God's coming judgment. It's a pity as he has put forth His Lightning Rod that we need not be struck.

Reactions: marks

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not quite. The issue is ACTUALLY whether or not the Bible IS God's Word. My contention is that it is NOT and I am asking those who assert that it is to back that assertion with facts.
Let me ask you, as an agnostic, what is your hope beyond death and the grave? What facts would you have to affirm your hope.
The Christian’s hope is in Jesus who rose from the dead. Where, or in ‘who’ is your hope?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A lack of specifics and definitive declarations in prophetic passages makes it difficulty to use many as foundational pillars.
I disagree. Some prophecies are incredibly specific, but there is a spiritual power determined that none should understand them, and view them correctly. Error, human reasoning, imagination, and deception all play a role in the current confusion. But over 20 years ago I found a sound definitive and perfectly acceptable hermeneutic in understanding prophecy, and it's the most fun study there is. It's exciting, informative, encouraging, faith affirming, and interesting.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Let me ask you, as an agnostic, what is your hope beyond death and the grave? What facts would you have to affirm your hope.
The Christian’s hope is in Jesus who rose from the dead. Where, or in ‘who’ is your hope?
I personally have no expectation for what's beyond death as I view death as the end of life where my conscious existence ceases. That places more emphasis on the significance of this life, my only life.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes many were caught with their pants down during God's first judgment (Flood) and many more will be caught in the same manner during God's coming judgment. It's a pity as he has put forth His Lightning Rod that we need not be struck.
I heard a good quote on the radio this morning . . .

We are more flawed than we care to admit, and more loved than we dare to dream. We all need Jesus!

Much love!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally have no expectation for what's beyond death as I view death as the end of life where my conscious existence ceases. That places more emphasis on the significance of this life, my only life.
How do you know life ends at death? How do you know conscious existence ends as well?
At least we have Someone who has died and rose again from the dead but says differently.
Have you died and experienced what it is like?

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
How do you know life ends at death?
Death is by definition the cessation of life, so there's that....
How do you know conscious existence ends as well?
I don't know. However, with death being the END of life and there being no evidence that conscious life continues after brain death, then it follows that conscious existence is fully tied to one's physical life and therefore ends simultaneously with it.
At least we have Someone who has died and rose again from the dead but says differently.
Not exactly. There is no writing from such a person that has been brain dead and is now alive and even if that happened, how could we test to see whether they were telling the truth?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, with death being the END of life and there being no evidence that conscious life continues after brain death, then it follows that conscious existence is fully tied to one's physical life and therefore ends simultaneously with it.
That's circular reasoning. Consciousness ends at death of the body therefore consciousness is fully tied to the body therefore consciousness ends at death of the body therefore . . .

Much love!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
That's circular reasoning. Consciousness ends at death of the body therefore consciousness is fully tied to the body therefore consciousness ends at death of the body therefore . . .
Accept it's not as we can point to a beginning period where consciousness begins for each individual. The lack of consciousness prior to conception, birth, and development illustrates the fact that consciousness is in fact finite and begins due to a traced biological process. If it begins as such, evidently the end of the biological life process would also mark the end of that entity's conscious existence. There is little to no reason or evidence to postulate otherwise.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Accept it's not as we can point to a beginning period where consciousness begins for each individual. The lack of consciousness prior to conception, birth, and development illustrates the fact that consciousness is in fact finite and begins due to a traced biological process. If it begins as such, evidently the end of the biological life process would also mark the end of that entity's conscious existence. There is little to no reason or evidence to postulate otherwise.
You've just said you cannot say when consciousness appears. How can you say when or if it disappears?

Your non-awareness of the timing of the origin of consciousness is not evidence of the nature of that consciousness.

But if someone died, and returned, and told you about it, would you believe it?

Much love!

Reactions: prism

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
You've just said you cannot say when consciousness appears. How can you say when or if it disappears?

Your non-awareness of the timing of the origin of consciousness is not evidence of the nature of that consciousness.
Huh? I just SPECIFIED a period of existence from whence consciousness begins. Everything we know about consciousness ties it to a biological life form's life.
But if someone died, and returned, and told you about it, would you believe it?
If, big if.
If someone that was dead were to return, I'd definitely give ear to what they say. Too bad that scenario has not proven to be realistic in the real world.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Huh? I just SPECIFIED a period of existence from whence consciousness begins. Everything we know about consciousness ties it to a biological life form's life.

If, big if.
IF consciousness ends in the same way that you think - think - it begins.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too bad that scenario has not proven to be realistic in the real world.
What's your standard of evidence? How many historical figures do you think were real? Abraham Lincoln? Ghengis Khan? Plato? Aristophanes? Jesus Christ?

Much love!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“Contrary to popular Christian opinion, atheism is not the worst thing in the world.
Bad religion is.
The reason is obvious: many people in our world either serve God as fear-driven slaves or hate God as if He were a cruel monster, in both cases due to the way false religion has misrepresented God.
The Bible speaks directly about bad religion in general and bad Christianity in particular.
The second angel’s message (Revelation14:8) brings relief and liberation from all anti-love images of God that counterfeit religion has pushed on the world and calls upon each of us to come out of the confusion into the illuminating truth of God’s glory as revealed in Christ.
And yet, Babylon isn’t merely that big bad religious and political system out there, rather it is in all of us.
Paul urged us to recognize that “the carnal mind is enmity against God” (Romans 8:7), which is an indictment that includes all of us.
The great protester himself, Martin Luther, insightfully observed, “I am more afraid of my own heart than of the pope and all his cardinals. I have within me the great pope, Self.”
The papacy is simply a corporate manifestation of the universal human inclination to exalt self in the place of God, to justify self rather than rest in God’s justifying grace, and to control our fellow human beings by coercion tactics rather than grant liberty of conscience.
A pertinent question could be asked of those who are either agnostic or atheist... Please describe the God you don't believe in. And subsequent to that... What kind of God would you like to believe in?