Why I could personally never chose to be Catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Vatican II ended in 1965, which means you are relying on memories of memories. Prayer books are simply condensed Bibles used for daily use. You have had 47 years to unlearn everything. Protestants use the Bible differently, for private study while Catholics use the Bible in public liturgy. Nobody is wrong, but creating false dichotomies is typically Protestant.

No you are being ridiculous. They never read 2 different languages at the same time.

Our core doctrines can never change. That's something you will have to put up with every time you flip to a different church.

How could I forget 6 days a week of mass for 6 years????????? NO WAY!

The only bible I seen in all those years was the one on the alter..... and I never could read Latin so I do not know if it was really a bible.

I did not mean to languages at the same time......... The priest was speaking in Latin , and we were supposed to follow with our prayer
books which were in English...........,

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
The only bible I seen in all those years was the one on the alter

For the most part; the Bible is an easy read; but its application is not so
easy. Rome claims itself the only reliable guide for that.

CCC 85 . .The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God,
whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to
the living teaching office of the Church alone.

In my opinion, Catholics are better off not reading the Bible because there's
a risk they'll just end up confused if they do so on their own sans Church
oversight.

/

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because I was never told to have one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do not believe any of my class mates had one....... and try to follow the priest with our prayerbooks ?????
Since he was speaking in Latin and we were reading English , how could we keep up ?????????? were we slower or faster then the Latin......?

I know they have changed , since my girl friend is still going and is saved.... but back then I was not. And she went to another
church later in years..........so a different C. C. or maybe they finally caught up !
No - it's the SAME Church.
You're just running out of excuses.

If your parents didn't have a Bible in their home when you were in grade school - you should be claiming THEM and not the nuns at your school.
The teaching of faith begins in the HOME.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the most part; the Bible is an easy read; but its application is not so easy. Rome claims itself the only reliable guide for that.

CCC 85 . .The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the Church alone.

In my opinion, Catholics are better off not reading the Bible because there's a risk they'll just end up confused if they do so on their own sans Church oversight.
Not at ALL.
If anything reading Scripture shines light on the truth of the Catholic Church . . .

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - it's the SAME Church.
You're just running out of excuses.

If your parents didn't have a Bible in their home when you were in grade school - you should be claiming THEM and not the nuns at your school.
The teaching of faith begins in the HOME.

My parents came from Poland and or Germany.......... and did not speak English for years....
And the time just makes a difference things were so different back then...............

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
If anything reading Scripture shines light on the truth of the Catholic Church

The Jehovah's Witnesses make the very same claim for themselves; so do
the Baptists; and each accuses the other two of falsehood.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (a.k.a. CCC) is the final authority for
Rome's followers in all matters pertaining to faith and practice. In other
words: the CCC is Rome's interpretation of the Bible as per the paragraph
below.

CCC 85
"The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether
in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the
living teaching office of the Church alone."

Were you to ask around, I think you'd discover that quite a few Catholics are
honestly, and fully, persuaded that truth cannot be known apart from the
CCC; i.e. without the CCC, the Bible would be of little practical use to John Q
and Jane Doe pew warmer.

The Jehovah's Witnesses' situation is very similar; viz: the Bible would be
of little practical use to them too apart from the Watchtower Society's
publications.

/

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-

The Jehovah's Witnesses make the very same claim for themselves; so do
the Baptists; and each accuses the other two of falsehood.

Rome's followers in all matters pertaining to faith and practice. In other
words: the CCC is Rome's interpretation of the Bible as per the paragraph
below.

CCC 85
"The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether
in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the
living teaching office of the Church alone."

honestly, and fully, persuaded that truth cannot be known apart from the
CCC; i.e. without the CCC, the Bible would be of little practical use to John Q
and Jane Doe pew warmer.

of little practical use to them too apart from the Watchtower Society's
publications.

/

Are you sure you want outsiders to evaluate the doctrine of your church by looking towards your pew-warmers?

Last edited:
B

brakelite

Still pounding the same revisionist drum, eh brakelight? Leave it to you to attack unapproved apparitions. We ignore Medjugorje but you are out of touch with Catholic realities to know Medjugorje has been rejected. I don't see you attacking Protestant so-called "Bible prophecy" that floods the internet. I don't think you are very smart. Calling intercession "necromancy" is the epitome of prot ignorance. If Jesus' mother is dead, then so is her offspring.
Think hard about what that implies, if you can.
You must be a Baptist secessionist to be waving heretics like the Hussites, the Waldenses, or the Albigenses as if they were great heros. The Hussites wanted communion under both species, even though it was not practical, and they went to war with anyone who got in there way. At this time in history anybody you didn't like was a heretic. Hussite Wars - Wikipedia
The book by the Baptist historian McGoldrick that demolishes the above statements is titled Baptist Successionism: A Crucial Question in Baptist History (The American Theological Library Association and The Scarecrow Press, 1994). McGoldrick examines many groups claimed as "early Baptists" (or early Evangelicals who are "baptistic") such as the Montanists, Novatians, Paulicians, Bogomils, Albigenses, Waldenses and other groups and individuals. None of these groups were in fact "early Evangelicals" but were either explicitly Catholic in doctrine or grossly heretical (such as the later Albigenses who denied the Incarnation). Baptists originate in the early 17th century in Holland and England. So why do these groups claim to be early evangelicals? They all had a spirit of rebellion.

"Although no reputable Church historians have ever affirmed the belief that Baptists can trace their lineage through medieval and ancient sects ultimately to the New Testament, that point of view enjoys a large following nevertheless. It appears that scholars aware of this claim have deemed it unworthy of their attention, which may account for the persistence and popularity of Baptist successionism as a doctrine as well as an interpretation of church history. Aside from occasional articles and booklets that reject this teaching, no one has published a refutation in a systematic, documented format. The present work is an effort to supply this need so that Baptists may have a thorough analysis of successionism, together with a reliable account of their origins as a Protestant religious body." (McGoldrick, preface page iv)

"It is the purpose of this book to show that, although free church groups in ancient and medieval times sometimes promoted doctrines and practices agreeable to modern Baptists, when judged by standards now acknowledged as baptistic, not one of them merits recognition as a Baptist church. Baptists arose in the seventeenth century in Holland and England. They are Protestants, heirs of the Reformers." (ibid, page 2, emphasis mine)

The following is adapted from McGoldrick's chapter on the Waldenses of the 12th and 13th centuries which examines their origins and founder Peter Waldo, their explicit Catholic doctrines and beliefs, a short account of their history, and where they are today (hint: they did later become a Protestant sect, but were never "baptistic" in belief).

Based on your previous posts, I would say you are a Baptist Successionist, or Landmark Baptist.
When Baptists attempt to discover the origins of their tradition they are faced with a historical dilemma. The search for Baptists roots hits a dead end in the sixteenth century. Most acknowledge that Baptist tradition is a tributary flowing out of the Protestant Reformation, but others attempt to discover a line of historical continuity, of doctrine and practice, back to Jesus and even John the Baptist. These Baptists are commonly referred to “Baptist Successionists”. Such a historical continuity is a factual impossibility.
Such a historical continuity is a factual impossibility though the proponents continue aggressively promoting their theories. First, we will summarize the popular theory as espoused in the popular booklet The Trail of Blood and secondly, we will analyze their position historically. It is helpful to remember, according to W. Morgan Patterson, associate professor of church history at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, that the “Baptist historians”-those who are proponents of this view-”have been preachers and pastors first of all, and historians second” (Baptist Successionism, [Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 1980), 5.
http://www.catholic-convert.com/wp-content/uploads/Documents/TrailOfBlood.pdf
If Medugorje has been rejected, someone needs to email the countless thousands who still flock there to see the "light" and hear the messages....including the clerics.
As for the rest of your post. I am sure it is correct. Problem is I don't understand any of it...much less care. I am not a Baptist, much less a successionist. So unfortunately all your hard work and literary prowess has gone to waste. But nice attempt at diversion anyway.
What I do have is a fairly intelligent understanding of history. And yes, there were differences between the Albigenses and Waldenses, and the Paulicians etc certainly had there own unique perspectives. But what they ALL had in common, is that they refused to submit to the tyrannical demands of the papal order. They considered their religious liberty worth the risk of death at the hands of the state storm troopers answering to the orders of Rome. Blaming the state for the religious wars is a grand cop-out. Every king, queen, and state ruler had his or her personal priest in attendance at every decision making council, and refusal to cooperate inevitably ended up in excommunication for the individual ruler at best, or the whole nation at worst.
In the so called heretical sects you named above, no army attacked them without the consent, approval, and/or the explicit command of the local bishop. Their so-called crimes were religious crimes...and the religion was that which Rome demanded be the ONLY one in town. Their ONLY crime was that they thought and worshipped different than was approved by the papal power. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My parents came from Poland and or Germany.......... and did not speak English for years....
And the time just makes a difference things were so different back then...............
Same Bible - same Church.
People change their beliefs - Christ's Church doesn't.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jehovah's Witnesses make the very same claim for themselves; so do the Baptists; and each accuses the other two of falsehood.

Rome's followers in all matters pertaining to faith and practice. In other words: the CCC is Rome's interpretation of the Bible as per the paragraph below.

CCC 85
"The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the Church alone."

honestly, and fully, persuaded that truth cannot be known apart from the CCC; i.e. without the CCC, the Bible would be of little practical use to John Q and Jane Doe pew warmer.

of little practical use to them too apart from the Watchtower Society's publications.
You're blowing the same, tired old anti-Catholic horn about how "similar" the Church is to the JWs - but you are missing one important thing: The Jehovah's Witnesses only go back to the end of the 19th century being founded by Charles Taze Russell.

The Catholic Church, however, was founded by Jesus Christ around the year AD 33.
Oh, and the Catechism is completely derived and supported by Scripture. EVERY Paragraph contains at least 1 or more Scriptural references . . .

B

brakelite

Oh, and the Catechism is completely derived and supported by Scripture. EVERY Paragraph contains at least 1 or more Scriptural references . . .
I would be interested in the Cathechism's scriptural justification for the sacredness of Sunday.

B

brakelite

Nope - I don’t worship bread – any more than I would worship a tortilla.

I worship Jesus, who is present - body, blood, soul and divinity in the Eucharist.
I know that is what you believe, that the priest can create his Creator, but the reality is you are worshipping bread.

Have you ever studied history?
I didn’t think so......Can you provide documented proof for your claim??
I didn’t think so . . .
I think that is your major problem...not thinking.

YOU call people “dead” who are in the presence of Almighty God in Heaven – but they are MORE alive they YOU are because they have been given ETERNAL Life.
It isn't me that says people go to heaven as soon as they die...that's your church. The only reason I call people dead is because that is what the Bible says...the same Bible you have been claiming throughout this thread as being the same as what your church teaches. Yet this state of the dead argument is just one of many in which scripture reveals your church's error. Allow me to show you what the Bible actually teaches....
Most Christians it is admitted believe that a Christian goes to heaven as soon as he dies. This is because they believe the spirit, which scripture says returns to God, is the essential being of the person. That the spirit doesn't actually die, that it is immortal. And thus can hear prayers, relay them to God, see what is going on upon the earth, even visit the earth at times if appropriate. Thus folk believe that apparitions by Mary, saints, etc are real, their messages are from God, and those visited are therefore greatly blessed and themselves even granted sainthood on account of these visitations and the miracles that are often associated with these events.
Sadly, that is not what Jesus taught. Never did Jesus teach that anyone would go to heaven the moment they died. What Jesus taught was that people would remain in their graves until the time of resurrection. This is what Paul also taught.

John 6:
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day........
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.....
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 7:

23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

1 Corinthians 15:
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
1 Corinthians 15:

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1 Thess. 4:
13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, bread of life, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Same Bible - same Church.
People change their beliefs - Christ's Church doesn't.

My husband and I both went to the same church from when we were born till we got married !
And we never got a bible till we changed church's ! May be that was because the priest or nuns never told us to get one ??????????

But they did tell us to get a prayer book and rosary ........!

[[[[[[[[[I am telling you things were so much different back then........ ]]]]]]]]]]]]

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all - you can only seek absolution for sins you have committed (past tense).
You cannot ask for forgiveness for this sins you are going to commit in the future because you haven't yet done anything wrong. In other words - your future sins are NOT forgiven until you repent of them.

Jesus's death on the cross paid for the PENALTY for sin. That is REDEMPTION - not forgiveness.
We still need to confess and ask for forgiveness when we sin.

As to your comments on Purgatory above (in RED) - this illustrates what I have been saying to you from the beginning.
You abandoned the Church because of a complete ignorance of Catholic teaching. Purgatory isn't a "stop-over" before going to Hell. It is the Scripturelly prescribed cleansing before entering Heaven (1 Cor. 3:9-15).
What happens when you end up in limbo?

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is limbo ?????

I seen in my dictionary bared from heaven.......But do not see it in the
bible ? Were is that at?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would be interested in the Cathechism's scriptural justification for the sacredness of Sunday.
II. THE LORD'S DAY
This is the day which the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.103

The day of the Resurrection: the new creation
2174 Jesus rose from the dead "on the first day of the week."104 Because it is the "first day," the day of Christ's Resurrection recalls the first creation. Because it is the "eighth day" following the sabbath,105 it symbolizes the new creation ushered in by Christ's Resurrection. For Christians it has become the first of all days, the first of all feasts, the Lord's Day (he kuriake hemera, dies dominica) Sunday:

We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day [after the Jewish sabbath, but also the first day] when God, separating matter from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead.106

Sunday - fulfillment of the sabbath
2175 Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ's Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man's eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ:107

Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by him and by his death.108

2176 The celebration of Sunday observes the moral commandment inscribed by nature in the human heart to render to God an outward, visible, public, and regular worship "as a sign of his universal beneficence to all."109 Sunday worship fulfills the moral command of the Old Covenant, taking up its rhythm and spirit in the weekly celebration of the Creator and Redeemer of his people.

103 Ps 118:24.
104 Cf. Mt 28:1; Mk 16:2; Lk 24:1; Jn 20:1.
105 Cf. Mk 16:1; Mt 28:1.
106 St. Justin, I Apol. 67:pG 6,429 and 432.
107 Cf. 1 Cor 10:11.
108 St. Ignatius of Antioch, Ad Magn. 9,1:SCh 10,88.
109 St. Thomas Aquinas, STh II-II,122,4.

Acts 20:7, 1 Cor. 16:2, Col. 2:16, Rev. 1:10

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that is what you believe, that the priest can create his Creator, but the reality is you are worshipping bread.
And that's where your ignorance comes in.
The priest doesn't "create" the Eucharist. the bread is transubstantiated by the Holy Spirit. into the body, blood, soul and divinity of Crist.
I think that is your major problem...not thinking.
And YOUR problem is your complete failure to provide documented proof . . .
It isn't me that says people go to heaven as soon as they die...that's your church. The only reason I call people dead is because that is what the Bible says...the same Bible you have been claiming throughout this thread as being the same as what your church teaches. Yet this state of the dead argument is just one of many in which scripture reveals your church's error. Allow me to show you what the Bible actually teaches....
Most Christians it is admitted believe that a Christian goes to heaven as soon as he dies. This is because they believe the spirit, which scripture says returns to God, is the essential being of the person. That the spirit doesn't actually die, that it is immortal. And thus can hear prayers, relay them to God, see what is going on upon the earth, even visit the earth at times if appropriate. Thus folk believe that apparitions by Mary, saints, etc are real, their messages are from God, and those visited are therefore greatly blessed and themselves even granted sainthood on account of these visitations and the miracles that are often associated with these events.
Sadly, that is not what Jesus taught. Never did Jesus teach that anyone would go to heaven the moment they died. What Jesus taught was that people would remain in their graves until the time of resurrection. This is what Paul also taught.

John 6:
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day........
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.....
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 7:

23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

1 Corinthians 15:
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
1 Corinthians 15:

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1 Thess. 4:
13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, bread of life, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Sigh - more ignorance . . .

The Resurrection of the Dead is the resurrection of our BODIES. Our BODIES will become incorruptible like Jesus's resurrected, glorified body. As to what happens immediately after we die:
Heb. 9:27
And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment

Finally - you NEVER answered my question about the Transfiguration.
Was Moses "Dead" when he was speaking with Jesus??[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay - first of all, you claim to have been a Catholic at some time in your past - yet you ALSO claim that you do NOT know the lies I have exposed to be lies.

So - you agree with people here who say that:
The Catholic Church teaches us to "worship" Mary.
The Catholic Church killed "tens of millions of" people in the Inquisitions.
The Catholic Church was started in the 4th century by Constantine.
The Catholic Church teaches the "worship" of idols.
And the list goes on . . .

Now - if you have the "wealth of knowledge" about the Church as you claim to - and you do NOT condemns these statements as lies - then you are as guilty of lying as those who are spreading them. And, yes - you HAVE condemned my posts because I simply will not allow people to spread lies about the Body of Christ.

As to your claims about heretics and punishment - do you even know what a "heretic" is??
My guess is that you don't.

As to the "wicked addictions" that plague some Catholics - look in your OWN back yard before pointing fingers (Matt. 7:3-5).
Or, do I need to remind you about the Jim Bakkers and Ted Haggards and Jimmy Swaggarts of the world - along with MANY other Protestants whose lived have been laid waste by the very SAME addictions you accuse Catholics of.

Finally - your eschatology is severely flawed if you believe the things you do about the coming Tribulations.
There are many anti-Catholic scholars who have long-abandoned this tripe about the Church being the "Whore of Babylon", etc., because it simply doesn't line up with Scripture, despite their bias.
That's a pretty good list you got going.
Keep adding to it, there's a long way to go.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What happens when you end up in limbo?
When I read nonsense like this - I stop wondering why you left the Catholic Church.
It is adamantly clear that you left because of complete ignorance of the faith.

What is "Limbo"?
I can't wait to read your answer . . .