Why I could personally never chose to be Catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Grace -
What is it about Mary that you object to?

Oh just the amount of honour that is given to her...above Abraham ( the father of faith) Moses, David, Paul, or any of the others.
I just haven't seen where we are told to put her above everyone else.
She had a calling and a duty to do, and she did it well....as did all the others.

I was only seven when I was sent away for a few months for health reasons by our doctor.
I was sent to a seas-side town ( in England) to convalesce and hopefully get stronger. ( we lived in London)
It was a Catholic Home run by nun's. Myself and another girl were the only two non-catholics. A scary huge grey building. About 30 kids in all.

I just remember having to pray prayers to 'Blessed Mary'.
Even at seven I couldn't understand why. I had always been taught to pray to God or Jesus. The nuns were kind , ...except one.
The wearing of black scared me a bit through.

That's all.....

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all - calm down.
You were wrong about the Catholic Church and the KJV - so own up to it and stop ranting.

The Catholic Church indeed has a problem with ANY publication that calls itself "The Bible" and jettisons Seven Books from it.
The Church wil always have a problem with this.

Finally - as to your fairy tale about when the Catholic Church began - you are conflating the Roman Empire with the Catholic Church.
Two different entities, my historically-bankrupt friend. The Catholic Church of today is the SAME Catholic Church that Ignatius of Antioch wrote about in his Letter to the Smyrnaeans, circa AD 107.

nope you have the problem, I'm familiar with catholic culture and thinking also, of which your thinking over and over again proves to be some kind of enraged fanatical crap and maybe you should be banded from saying you are a catholic. if I was an authority in that church I'd throw your beeb out. some priests I've talked to even said so much as the KJV should be read. that doesn't mean Catholics should adopt KJV but there's nothing wrong with it if you have no need for what was excluded. and no one is keeping anyone from looking into that ether those exclusion were a result of catholic miss use in the eye of protestant views, so argue with them.

if one wants to make sure they get it all and the mainstream of it all the Jerusalem Bible seems to cover it. I do believe the Nun (I don't remember her name) who started EWTN channel recommended it, not the "new Jerusalem bible" the "Jerusalem bible".

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I see. So, it's simply a matter of you not wanting to be humiliated by the fact that you cannot address the following verses in your attack on Church Authority . . .
Of course your church has authority over you, you gave them that authority, just as those who are in Christ, give Him authority over them, you are either a citizen of heaven by Christ or a citizen of the catholic church by your pope, one cannot serve two masters. you chose yours we choose Him, Jesus that is. you serve your church its rules its laws its doctrines its traditions, we serve Christ and the laws and doctrines of heaven. Ao look, no bold, no colours no highlights no big letters, because I dont have to shout, teh truth, which you love to drown out.

God bless and have a lovely day.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No serious student of scripture uses this verse to defend the man made doctrine of sola scriptura.

It is because most Bible students read and critique scriptures like it is an ordinary book, instead of a Holy Book containing God’s words that must be obeyed!

Revelation 22:18-19 is not only an ominous warning to the world that if we add or take away from the book of this prophecy, He will add the plagues (judgments) written in this book (Bible) to those that obey not. Likewise, if we take away from the prophecy of this book, He will take away any man’s part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city. (Paraphrased)

Furthermore, Revelation 22 teaches that Jesus is the God of the Bible for He alone is the only person that has the power to add the plagues and take away man’s part from the book of life and holy city.

Therefore, on these two passages, God has declared there is no further revelation coming from Him in any form, and by this declaration, all that He wanted to convey to the human race has been written in this book called the Bible.

Anything and everything we want to know about the things of God has been written for us in the Bible. By definition, this makes the “Bible alone”….sola Scriptura!!!

To God Be The Glory

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Therefore, on these two passages, God has declared there is no further revelation coming from Him in any form, and by this declaration, all that He wanted to convey to the human race has been written in this book called the Bible.
nope that is a lie, He sent His Spirit to men to teach them, but He is rejected by many.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nope that is a lie, He sent His Spirit to men to teach them, but He is rejected by many.
If it were only the ones who had never known anything about God... but the worst ones are usually, or always, those who have had a taste of the real thing... those who turned away from instead of turning toward God.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is because most Bible students read and critique scriptures like it is an ordinary book, instead of a Holy Book containing God’s words that must be obeyed!

Revelation 22:18-19 is not only an ominous warning to the world that if we add or take away from the book of this prophecy, He will add the plagues (judgments) written in this book (Bible) to those that obey not. Likewise, if we take away from the prophecy of this book, He will take away any man’s part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city. (Paraphrased)

Furthermore, Revelation 22 teaches that Jesus is the God of the Bible for He alone is the only person that has the power to add the plagues and take away man’s part from the book of life and holy city.

Anything and everything we want to know about the things of God has been written for us in the Bible. By definition, this makes the “Bible alone”….sola Scriptura!!!

To God Be The Glory

You mean, instead of reading it like tea leaves? Acknowledging reality does not mean rejecting the inspiration of the Book of Revelation. You obviously did not read past the first few words of my post before you restated your belief following a sad generalization regarding biblical scholarship.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
.QUOTE=""ByGrace", post: 376709, member: 4427"]Oh just the amount of honour that is given to her...above Abraham ( the father of faith) Moses, David, Paul, or any of the others.
I just haven't seen where we are told to put her above everyone else.
She had a calling and a duty to do, and she did it well....as did all the others.

I was only seven when I was sent away for a few months for health reasons by our doctor.
I was sent to a seas-side town ( in England) to convalesce and hopefully get stronger. ( we lived in London)
It was a Catholic Home run by nun's. Myself and another girl were the only two non-catholics. A scary huge grey building. About 30 kids in all.

I just remember having to pray prayers to 'Blessed Mary'.
Even at seven I couldn't understand why. I had always been taught to pray to God or Jesus. The nuns were kind , ...except one.
The wearing of black scared me a bit through.

That's all.....[/QUOTE]

of course the mother of God who was before Abraham and the real and actual father of our faith deserves more honour than Abraham or any other other than God imho - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
If it were only the ones who had never known anything about God... but the worst ones are usually, or always, those who have had a taste of the real thing... those who turned away from instead of turning toward God.

how wrong does one have to be - He sent and sends the Holy Spirit to His Church and His church to us - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
of course the mother of God who was before Abraham and the real and actual father of our faith deserves more honour than Abraham or any other other than God imho - twinc

Oh come on twinc...that is the first time I have ever heard that Mary was " before Abraham" ..... pleeease!!!:rolleyes:

Reactions: bbyrd009

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

Anything and everything we want to know about the things of God has been written for us in the Bible. By definition, this makes the “Bible alone”….sola Scriptura!!! life, and out of the holy city. (Paraphrased)d everything we want to know about the things of God has been written for us in the Bible. By definition, this makes the “Bible alone”….sola Scriptura!!!

To God Be The Glory

this is a later day Protestant addition for the bible does not claim 'sola scripture' - fact exactly the opposite is claimed - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Oh come on twinc...that is the first time I have ever heard that Mary was " before Abraham" ..... pleeease!!!:rolleyes:

don't blame me that you keep hearing or seeing what is not really there - twinc - pleeeease

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He sent and sends the Holy Spirit to His Church and His church to us - twinc
gee willikas no wonder Christianity is teh mess it is in, when no one follows after Christ, it is no wonder He has so few sheep and why so few will be at His wedding.

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

but than of course if you donr have His Spirit than you need men...

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

but keep being a blind man following after teh blind, that ditch has plenty of space

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Twinc - you are not teaching Catholic ideas about Mary

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you for that verbose and painfully-obvious rant about the Authority of Scripture.

I never stated that Scripture had "NO" Authority. It absolutely does.
I said PROVE to me that it is our SOLE Authority - and you couldn't do that.

As to your above statement in RED - this is a false and misleading position because the Church doesn't "overrule" the Bible and has never even tried to do so. It is in perfect harmony with Scripture.

If I may just toss out a thought about this...?
It seems to me that your claim here about scripture not being the sole authority is an argument from silence. Does scripture need to state that it is the only writings from God? Do we need to have the obvious conclusions pointed out that there is no man (aside from Christ, the Word of God), who is perfect, and therefore infallible? How do we therefore trust in something or someone (church or head of church) that is clearly not perfect? Wouldn't that lead to an obvious conclusion that if ideas, announcements, authorities, disciplines, etc, did not line up with scripture, it could not be 100% guaranteed to come from God?

If, as 2 Tim 3:16-17 says, that all scripture is God-breathed and is useful for 'every good work', and that, like the Bereans in Acts 17:11, we are to search scripture to see if what we are told and taught is true, then are we not seeing in scripture itself that it is there, to the Word, that we must turn? Too often we see that both 'spirits' (1 John 4:1) and false teachers, both from ignorance and evil intentions, seek to lead us astray. If we can not rest in fallen mankind, then we can only trust in God's word.

I believe, that in cases such as this, the Catholic Church perhaps must show how church tradition and the Pope can be viewed as perfect. And I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just honestly laying down an alternative opinion, as we all have the right to bear. If you say that we can trust in men in general (church) and the Pope, show me how they are without sin. I know my bible is the word of God...I don't know that what comes from the Pope's mouth is...after all, he was picked by man.

Reactions: Butterfly

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how wrong does one have to be - He sent and sends the Holy Spirit to His Church and His church to us - twinc
We are His Church!

However, when a person hungry and thirsty for righteousness heard and/or saw the witness of a man filled with the Holy Spirit, we might say that it was a part of the Church sent by God to him to fill that need [ Matt 5:6 ]. Now, also we, being a part of the Church, may be sent to others who are hungry and thirsty that they also may be filled.

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems to be a basic misunderstanding there, ya
Oh yes! It is what you have spoken here as Neheshtan, I believe. There was power invested in a look at the bronze snake on the pole at that particular time and that particular place, but people made it into their own tower of Babel... their own way to the heaven where God dwells, but it was not. For the particular instance it was but they couldn't see the forest for the trees. Of course there is no one like that around here...

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009