Will unbelievers never be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand your context point.

But it would seem that you have yet to acknowledge that David crying out to God in the Psalms holds two completely different contexts, one regarding David alone, and another regarding Jesus. The point of which, is that context is not a hard and fast rule when it comes to scripture.
David writing down a prophetic prayer as inspired by God?

Context is a MUST when it comes to scripture

Again, to remove it from the hermeneutical process is to remove checks and balances.. I can pretty much make the bible say what I want it to say.

again, Romans 9 and fatalistic approach is proof of this

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unbeliever is pretty broad.
Yup. :D

The term is somewhat esoteric. In the context of the OP, it means not believing in Jesus as ones' Lord and Savior. Yet, as you pointed out, most humans do believe in something, like Abraham believing in God.

Abraham being saved undermines the universal claims many have made here. And this is what makes this a fascinating topic; there is Scripture to support both sides. Why do you suppose some cannot admit the evidence for the other side, e.g., the Abraham exception? (If there is an exception, then it is not universal. Simple logic.) The problem therefore, is not logical but psychological. People tend to be uncomfortable with ambiguity. One poster said if there is any contradiction, throw the whole thing out. Ouch! Not too much intellectual flexibility there.

In physics, there is such a thing as orientation. Things happen at discreet quanta; there is no continuum. Either you are on one quanta of subatomic orbital or another. F=ma is true, but not on a continuum in this context. Why is it inconceivable that such a dichotomy exists on the spiritual plane? When the stakes are so high, eternal stakes, I prefer to be judged for having more grace than less for I believe that is the heart of the God we serve. Humans condemn if beyond reasonable doubt. YHWH condemns when beyond all doubt. This, I believe drives 1 Tim 4:10, which includes unbelievers, by definition.

Why does this non-believer, Abraham, get a pass while others don't - other than Scripture says so about him? Just because Scripture is silent about others does not support a negative conclusion that so many seem passionate to reach. (Again, see OP on the application of converse statements.)

@APAK seemed to balk when I mentioned one kind of unbelievers, babies. If you find it convenient to categorize kinds of unbelievers, some good could come out of that. Still, the challenge of the OP is about the genus, the general or broad group. Will unbelievers never be saved?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand your context point.

But it would seem that you have yet to acknowledge that David crying out to God in the Psalms holds two completely different contexts, one regarding David alone, and another regarding Jesus. The point of which, is that context is not a hard and fast rule when it comes to scripture.
This really deserves its own thread. Every serious student of literature knows context is important. Common backpedaling tactics when one's doctrines are challenged include:
  1. Invoke "context" as if that automatically resolves the incongruity.
  2. Invoke mantra "Scripture does not contradict Scripture" - despite the evidence.
  3. Semantics. Gnostic and esoteric word meaning.
  4. There is a short hop, skip and jump from that to eisegesis.
It becomes so extreme the only conclusion is that IDOLATRY (of doctrine) is driving it. Otherwise, it seems to require too much humility to admit one cannot explain it. As if that is some kind of defeat.

I told my Pastor in an email that he gave one of the best sermons I ever heard. He was very grateful to get such an email. The sermon took all this burden off; we don't have to have all the answers! We believe Jesus is the son of God, the Lord and Savior of the world. We believe this because of our own experience - not unimpeachable knowledge of Scripture. And that is good enough! We don't have to have all the answers. Thank God.

EDIT: With APAK's help, I added #3 above.

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Again, to remove it from the hermeneutical process is to remove checks and balances.. I can pretty much make the bible say what I want it to say.

The term is somewhat esoteric. In the context of the OP, it means not believing in Jesus as ones' Lord and Savior. Yet, as you pointed out, most humans do believe in something, like Abraham believing in God.

Abraham being saved undermines the universal claims many have made here. And this is what makes this a fascinating topic; there is Scripture to support both sides. Why do you suppose some cannot admit the evidence for the other side, e.g., the Abraham exception? (If there is an exception, then it is not universal. Simple logic.) The problem therefore, is not logical but psychological. People tend to be uncomfortable with ambiguity. One poster said if there is any contradiction, throw the whole thing out. Ouch! Not too much intellectual flexibility there.

In physics, there is such a thing as orientation. Things happen at discreet quanta; there is no continuum. Either you are on one quanta of subatomic orbital or another. F=ma is true, but not on a continuum in this context. Why is it inconceivable that such a dichotomy exists on the spiritual plane? When the stakes are so high, eternal stakes, I prefer to be judged for having more grace than less for I believe that is the heart of the God we serve. Humans condemn if beyond reasonable doubt. YHWH condemns when beyond all doubt. This, I believe drives 1 Tim 4:10, which includes unbelievers, by definition.

Why does this non-believer, Abraham, get a pass while others don't - other than Scripture says so about him? Just because Scripture is silent about others does not support a negative conclusion that so many seem passionate to reach. (Again, see OP on the application of converse statements.)

@APAK seemed to balk when I mentioned one kind of unbelievers, babies. If you find it convenient to categorize kinds of unbelievers, some good could come out of that. Still, the challenge of the OP is about the genus, the general or broad group. Will unbelievers never be saved?
You are still trying to force a false argument, like forcing in a larger square object into a small circle. Now Wrangler stop exaggerating and making fibs about me. The inclusion of babies as you added into the mix of your OP later, and other innocence is for another discussion as I said and they are not ever called an unbeliever. I guess you might think so. One has to have a sound and mature mind to be considered an unbeliever. The definition of an unbeliever is not that ambiguous if you figure out the limits for its definition. It is nor really a broad term as used in scripture. Only if one gets too imaginative does it become confusing and then not a subject of real discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are still trying to force a false argument, like forcing in a larger square object into a small circle. Now Wrangler stop exaggerating and making fibs about me. The inclusion of babies as you added into the mix of your OP later, an other innocence is for another discussion as I said and they are not ever called an unbeliever. I guess you might think so. One has to have sound and mature mind to be considered an unbeliever. The definition of an unbeliever is not that ambiguous if you figure out the limits for its definition. It is nor really a broad term as used in scripture. Only if one gets too imaginative does it become confusing and then not a subject of real discussion.
You don’t get to dictate terms in this thread.

If you want to qualify the term ‘unbeliever’ to exclude ‘sound and mature’ minds, that’s on you. It still does not help with why the Abrahams of the world are saved despite not believing that Jesus is their lord and savior.

I predict another qualifier is on deck to maintain the narrative that some unbelievers are not saved - while many classes of unbelievers are saved - as I clarified the term to mean @Taken.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, with @APAK's help, we have thus far uncovered 3 classes of unbeleivers who are saved.
  1. Immature.
  2. Unsound mind.
  3. The Abraham's of the world, those who believe in God, even if not believing Jesus is the Lord and Savior.
Regarding #3, someone said such people just did not yet have the name revealed to them. Still, a class under consideration of salvation.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wrangler here's Romans Chapter 3 summary/commentary off the cuff...that lead me to promise you. I believe I caught the gist of it and it ties back into the previous two Chapters.

All unbelievers must possess the spirit of God via his Son in order to pass the judgement of God in their favor. Works of Godly favor are the result of this evidence of spiritual and divine condition, found within every human heart.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 3 – The faithfulness and righteousness of God and our faith in it​

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Romans Chapter 3 discusses the grace of YHWH given or made available to individuals to bring the gift of faith to them for his righteousness, under a law. Romans 4:15: “Where there is no law there is no transgression.”

In our fallen sinful state or not, we are always under a form of law of God for his creation, whether formally written and given, or not, prior to the OT, in the OT or during this NT age.

Today, believers in Christ are under his law, created by this same Father God especially to make us aware our sinful nature.

Both the OT and NT saints were righteous and justified by God through faith in the future reality or past knowledge of his Son; because first, the same grace of YHWH was given in the OT, as for today, available to all, although before the NT for different purposes and effects. It provided the same type of faith, to believe in Christ (I Peter 1:11 – in/on the spirit of Christ). The OT believers looked forward in faith to the Day, and the latter-day OT believers, to the past and the present, to his words, mission, joy, hope and love of Christ.

So, in Chapter three, Paul says the Israelites had one advantage over other people at one time. They were given the divine words and commands of God. And just because many did not believe, God’s words and advice through the prophets were still true, valid and in effect today and it was when first given to them. And then with all this divine influence of God they were still found to not be immune to sin of course. Divinity does not rub off on any man that way when the inside is corrupt.

And it’s foolish to think that God only is faithful in his purpose and word of his laws and to enforce them, only until men are found breaking them, in sin and who have lying hearts. His faithfulness to forgive and bring people back to good standing with him is always there, like a flung open wide door. His laws and judgements are never dependent on man’s ways and nature. Paul invokes Psalms 116:11-13. We can still cry out to the LORD for our salvation after we have sinned and found to be a liar in his eyes, as the law just convicted us from our hearts to repentance.

Today, as in ancient times, the laws of men degenerate into the judgement of these laws against only the many, those not of the few privileged who make and have power over these laws. And then men of these law(s) are not faithful to always forgive even under repentance and good deeds, as they are conceived of a corrupted heart that can only produce corrupt measures and intentions, or never good deeds.

That’s why God can only judge, he is the only faithful and righteous one over all mankind, ready to forgive sin if we are willing to believe in him and today, in his Son. God is the only super gold standard for judgement of man’s state. And we have no excuse for avoiding the judgement of God. We deserve it.

Paul says those under the law who are condemned by it should now know they can never keep the law of God. As it exposes how much, in quantity, and of quality, the types of sin we commit, without having the righteousness of God. It must eventually force us to realize that we deserve his anger as we have sinned not against ourselves, against God himself.

Finally, Paul states there is now true hope of salvation. God’s righteousness is now known through his Son. And this method and path to salvation does not rely on the ‘old’ law. Even though this law did point to God’s righteousness all along.

Faith in his Son is now the way and truth for all salvation of mankind.

When we place of faith not in ourselves, in his Son Yahshua, for salvation, God then provides us credit for his own righteousness by receiving Yahshua’s death payment for sin. It nullifies any good intentions or works of our own will to compensate for our sin. And we get the Son’s spirit within our own to grow into, into more of our lives. Such a deal by demonstrating true faith in our hearts, of the works of Christ for our salvation, planned and execution by his Father. who is God.

We are thus justified and possess the divine righteousness of God via his Son within us, able to now perform and demonstrate Godly holiness in our new walk to eternal life. Amen

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Okay…agree.

Why does this non-believer, Abraham, get a pass while others don't - other than Scripture says so about him?

Non-believer Abraham?
Not so…Abraham Believed IN God.

Gen 15:6
Gal 3:6
Rom 4:3
James 2:23

Now if you are debating “IF” Abraham believed IN JESUS…

Again Abraham Believed IN…Gods Word…
BEFORE Gods Word “was revealed to be Called”…
JESUS
Son of God

Gods Word, FROM the Beginning of manKIND, came forth out of Gods Mouth, into the Ears of men God CHOSE to Hear His Word…with a TASK, a SERVICE unto God, such men AGREED, to Repeat Gods Word to “other men”, and per their agreement, DID SO repeat Gods Word to other men.

God has MULTIPLE names and titles by which He is Called…
Eh…so do men.

Gods WORD has MULTIPLE names and titles by which He is Called…
Eh…so do men.

Anciently…Gods WORD (that came forth out of Gods Mouth….was callled:
“The Angel of the LORD”…(who appeared in the LIKENESS AS a man.)
“A morning Star”… that was present watching the Earth being established. (Which is obviously BEFORE mankind was created)
“The King of Salem”…”High Priest of God”….whom Abraham met, and delivered to the King (Abraham’s war booty), and received a Blessing from the King.
“The BRIGHT Morning Star”…( expressly differentiated from “A” Morning Star that fell from goodness, righteousness, holiness.)

WHAT was Abraham’s BLESSING?

Gods promise FULFILLED…and continuing (per the people that are born generation after generation Becoming MADE INCLUDED IN Abraham’s Promise.)
Gods promise… Gen 12:1-3
“‘I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.’”

AND…

Gal 3:
[14] That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
[15] Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
[16] Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Just because Scripture is silent about others does not support a negative conclusion that so many seem passionate to reach. (Again, see OP on the application of converse statements.)

Scripture is not silent, regarding Abraham, regarding those who BeCOME MADE ALIGNED with Abraham, Become MADE ALIGNED with the SAME SEED of God, which Abraham Received….
Gods SEED, IS CHRIST.
Gods POWER, IS CHRIST.
Abraham was BLESSED with Gods SEED and God POWER with Him and in Him.

And ANY MAN…who is OF the seed of Abraham IS ALSO Made Blessed with the SEED of God.

A man of Abrahams STOCK seed…meaning a blood descendent of Abraham…(who IS IN FAITH of God).
A man of Abrahams PROMISED seed…meaning a man receiving the SAME “seed of God…CHRIST”…is accounted to the SAME Promised LAND INHERITANCE, as Abraham, as a rightful Descendent of Abraham.

Jesus took upon himself the SEED of Abraham…thus entitled to occupy Abraham’s promised Land.

Faithful Stock Jews….are ONE group of Abrahams descendants.

Faithful Promised Gentiles….are ANOTHER group of Abrahams descendants.

Heb 2:
[16] For verily he (Jesus) took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Gal 3:
[27] For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
[28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
[29] And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

If you have accepted Christ the Lord Jesus’ offering of Baptism of the Holy Spirit…
you have received the SEED of God Within you. (AKA…OSAS).
If you have received the SEED of God Within you….by Declaration of God…you have taken upon you…(agreed to), be …
* a “son of God”…entitled to His promise of eternal LIFE with God.
* a “son of Abraham”…entitled to occupy his promised land.

(Did you know…Christ Jesus shall have an earthly Kingdom…with mortal men in their kingdoms…and Christ’s Kingdom with those having been MADE immortal and occupying their Promised LAND inheritance?
FOR 1,000 years….VOID of the roaming and evil and wicked influence and cunning trickery of Satan and his band of fallen angels ?)

[/QUOTE]

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, with @APAK's help, we have thus far uncovered 3 classes of unbeleivers who are saved.
  1. Immature.
  2. Unsound mind.
  3. The Abraham's of the world, those who believe in God, even if not believing Jesus is the Lord and Savior.
Regarding #3, someone said such people just did not yet have the name revealed to them. Still, a class under consideration of salvation.
Are you kidding me...this is down right ugly and very childish on your part and I never thought for a moment before this time you would react in this wretched egotistical way.

And again you lied with this post as well, as you intentionally left out the context as to why I suggested these three points you posted. Disappointed and revengeful children do what you ae doing here. What is wrong with you.....(rhetorical)

Well I wrote out Chapter 3 for you to convince you of your clear err that you admit is not there.

YOU alone have made three classes of unbelievers not I. And I will not explain it again for you. I would consider taking time out now to reflect on what you are trying to accomplish here. And is it worth it!!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. Immature.
  2. Unsound mind.

Belief or unbelief….is all about what an INDIVIDUALS HEART Believes on the DAY that individuals Body dies…

WHO absolutely knows that…?
* God
And
* the one who is dying.

The mentally ill…(so called by umpteen man devised medical terms)…irrelevant…
God does not search a mans MIND for his true belief…He searches the Hearts BelIef.

New born babies, little children, pre-teens, young adult, adults, elderly….any and all persons, regardless of age, gender, race (ISRAELITE or GENTILE)…God Knows LONG before the individual Knows….who does, will Believe IN their Heart, IN the Lord God Almighty….and who does not, will not Believe IN their Heart, IN the Lord God almighty….
AND
Has prepared place for EITHER…which FOREVER shall be WITH or WITHOUT the Lord God Almighty AND His true and faithful people.

Any person physically dying IN “Heartful Unbelief”… shall become LIFELESS and DESTROYED and FORGOTTEN.

Glory to God,
Taken

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Belief or unbelief….is all about what an INDIVIDUALS HEART Believes on the DAY that individuals Body dies…

WHO absolutely knows that…?
* God
And
* the one who is dying.

The mentally ill…(so called by umpteen man devised medical terms)…irrelevant…
God does not search a mans MIND for his true belief…He searches the Hearts BelIef.

New born babies, little children, pre-teens, young adult, adults, elderly….any and all persons, regardless of age, gender, race (ISRAELITE or GENTILE)…God Knows LONG before the individual Knows….who does, will Believe IN their Heart, IN the Lord God Almighty….and who does not, will not Believe IN their Heart, IN the Lord God almighty….
AND
Has prepared place for EITHER…which FOREVER shall be WITH or WITHOUT the Lord God Almighty AND His true and faithful people.

Any person physically dying IN “Heartful Unbelief”… shall become LIFELESS and DESTROYED and FORGOTTEN.

Glory to God,
Taken
The subject of who is an unbeliever is not even that complex Taken...,

Those of mature and sound mind, able to know God and his righteousness for salvation and lacking this righteousness of God within their heart, at whatever stage in their life they are experiencing, is an unbeliever. This is only one type according to scripture, and I agree of course.

I use only 'the righteousness of God' expression purposely, as this accounts for believers possessing it of the OT under the old law who knew of Christ and believed in God's word for him to appear in the future, as future prophecy. For man's salvation by his good graces. Abraham for example, and of a few others in each generation henceforth had this righteousness of God credited to them, and they were also justified by their faith in God and their actions in light of the savior's future appearance, as the promise of God.

Just saying...

Reactions: Taken

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Non-believer Abraham?
Not so…Abraham Believed IN God.

Gen 15:6
Gal 3:6
Rom 4:3
James 2:23

Now if you are debating “IF” Abraham believed IN JESUS…

Again Abraham Believed IN…Gods Word…
BEFORE Gods Word “was revealed to be Called”…
JESUS
Now, semantics are being invoked, word meanings have to be qualified to maintain the doctrine where the normal use of the word cannot stand.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you kidding me...this is down right ugly and very childish on your part and I never thought for a moment before this time you would react in this wretched egotistical way.

And again you lied with this post as well, as you intentionally left out the context as to why I suggested these three points you posted.
Relax, my friend. Our salvation is not at stake in these discussions. As Han Solo said, I must be hitting pretty close to the mark to get you all riled up like that. :eek:

The reason I left out why you suggested the 3 points is to summarize the conversation. Anyone can read your posts still where your reasons are detailed, right? WHAT does not necessarily need a WHY; there are 3 classses of unbelievers identified so far. Simple.

So, I'm not sure what is wretchedly egotistical, ugly or childish to summarize the WHAT without the WHY. With all these insults, maybe, look in the mirror? Moving past your ongoing Ad Homenim's, perhaps we can return to the Scriptures that support these 3 categories or reveal they are supported by logical derivation. (As a general rule, I abhor treating the Bible as a dictionary. It's not. Therefore, I suspect the support for the 3 categories of saved unbelievers is due to logical derivation. We'll see.)

1711646305445.png

1711646278535.png

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, semantics are being invoked, word meanings have to be qualified to maintain the doctrine where the normal use of the word cannot stand.

I have given my belief.
I have given Scripture.

Abraham believed Gods Word and it was accounted unto him as Righteous.

And Abraham Obeyed Gods Word and Abraham received blessings from God for his obedience.

The same that applied to Abraham applies to other men who believe and do as Abraham believed and did.

Not sure what point you are trying to prove…with Unbelievers?
What about them, regarding their SALVATION that “WAS” bought and paid for FOR THEM TO WILLINGLY TAKE.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Okay...you're not getting it.

David "wrote down a prophetic prayer as inspired by God" out of [out of] his own life context--which then establishes two completely different contexts to draw from. David's own life is one context, and what he prophesized of Jesus is another context. David suffered = one context. Jesus also suffered = another context. That is what the scriptures indicate.

But, again you have not acknowledged it.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This really deserves its own thread. Every serious student of literature knows context is important. Common backpedaling tactics when one's doctrines are challenged include:
  1. Invoke "context" as if that automatically resolves the incongruity.
  2. Invoke mantra "Scripture does not contradict Scripture" - despite the evidence.
  3. Semantics. Gnostic and esoteric word meaning.
  4. There is a short hop, skip and jump from that to eisegesis.
It becomes so extreme the only conclusion is that IDOLATRY (of doctrine) is driving it. Otherwise, it seems to require too much humility to admit one cannot explain it. As if that is some kind of defeat.

I told my Pastor in an email that he gave one of the best sermons I ever heard. He was very grateful to get such an email. The sermon took all this burden off; we don't have to have all the answers! We believe Jesus is the son of God, the Lord and Savior of the world. We believe this because of our own experience - not unimpeachable knowledge of Scripture. And that is good enough! We don't have to have all the answers. Thank God.

EDIT: With APAK's help, I added #3 above.

The reference to "context" came up in discussing this thread's topic, making it relevant. If context then is an issue, or even worse, a point of impasse, then clarifying biblical context is important.

I have made my case the biblical case established in the scriptures. I am ready to move on.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay...you're not getting it.

David "wrote down a prophetic prayer as inspired by God" out of [out of] his own life context--which then establishes two completely different contexts to draw from. David's own life is one context, and what he prophesized of Jesus is another context. David suffered = one context. Jesus also suffered = another context. That is what the scriptures indicate.

But, again you have not acknowledged it.
I will not acknowledge anything that says we do not have to use context to interpret the word.

Ps 22 is not david talking about his life. those things never happened about his life.. It is a prophetic psalm.

• Sad
Reactions: ScottA