William Marrion Branham? I am not a Branhamite

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nov 8, 2007
Hello, I'm new to this board, but very interesting and always good to know that when people are online it's about the Lord. PRAISE HIM! Y'shua HaMashiach! Now just a simple question, what is the general consensus concerning the opinions on William Marrion Branham? Personally, as somewhat of a babe in learning his books and inspirational ministering, He's a very special man indeed. Some say the 7th Age Church Messenger of Revelation, some the promise of Malachi 4, which techically speaking was fulfilled with John the Baptist, but not in it's fullness. I've come to his message for about a month, I've known the two extremes of the Message of Brother Branham, and the Gray area. The ones who exalt brother Branham as Christ or somewhat like Christ, and the Ones who wholeheartedly reject his prophecies and messages.Then those in the gray areas, those who understand how special he is, What he means to todays churches. The influence he had, but not to be mistaken as a Christ or close to God. But just like the biblical Prophets, was just a mouth Piece of God, and nothing more.Of course there are controversies surrounding him and there are many discrepancies concerning his doctrines. Serpent Seed, Pre-Trib Rapture, anti-denomination, which many of his doctrines hold merit.Well basically what I'm asking for is, what are your feelings toward Brother Branham?

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
I just googled Branham to learn about him.....I can't say I approve of him at all if what the article said was true, especially if he advocates a rapture.I do agree that what happened in the Garden was the beginning of the "serpent seed," as the Bible clearly tells us that. If he is against denominations I will also agree with that.All in all, I wouldn't follow his teachings without strong Biblical support.........Whirlwind

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
I was baptized in 2006 after the Lord called me. I attended an apostolic church. I stayed in church for about a month after, stopped going though i was forever changed. God was on my mind everyday since. Before i hated Him and he's knows my heart.(thank you Lord for changing my heart) I'm 25 now and I never ran into another person since(in person) with the zeal that i had. And still haven't. I felt by myself for years. I always wanted to talk about the goodness of the Lord, and people would talk to me for a sec but not for long. I started looking for a church and everywhere i looked i noticed something. The first revelation that God gave me was that is word is true and errorless. I believed in Jesus turning water into wine, raising people from the dead, and all the other miracles He did but I couldn't find that going on anywhere. All i seen was people "having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof". I was "lost" and the devil was telling me to give up cause the Word wasn't true but I knew better bcuz of that revelation that He put in my heart. And let me mention my dad is a pastor of two churches and moderator over a union of churches.(however that goes) i even tried to talked to him but to no avail. I asked him a question about a scripture that I didn't understand,he'd explain what he felt like it meant, then closed mouth. No "my son is interested in the word so I encourage him, talk to him, give him some advice".
I was in the streets heavy and my dad was always tried to show me theres another(education)way but i wasn't listening. I can truly say the Lord taught me everything I know. Revelation and experience.
I started working in 2010 and I was was just hanging on by a thread. A guy at work gave me a card with Bro. Branham on it. He was like "he's a prophet". I was saying in my mind dont know what you talking about. I prayed on it and seek the Lord for truth on the matter. He never ever failed and William Branham is God last day messenger. You pray on it and you'll He'll reveal it to you also. When i finally attended the church my co-worker invited me to I knew I was home. The things the Lord was telling me those years corresponded to my pastors sermon. The holy spirit will speak if a man of God will move out of the way.
He will speak through the dry lips of clay. Most pastors preach from intellect. Not these message guys. And we all have flaws but if you will surrender to Jesus Christ He will use you.
Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever. Only believe

Brothertom

All for Jesus no matter the cost.
May 1, 2012
Bottom of Illinois
I have read every thing that I could get my hands on about Branham, for 20 years & considered the enigma that his life represented. I have visited his gravesight on the Branham Temple site; A 6ft. granite pyramid stating that WB was indeed one of the 7 messengers that God would send to the Earth, comparing himself with Elijah & Abraham.

This is a pretty clear site I believe....

"In May of 1946, William Marion Branham claims that an angel spoke to him and called him to serve the Lord. The angel appeared to Branham while he was baptizing people in the Ohio River and said to him, "As John the Baptist was sent for the forerunner of the first coming of Christ, you've got a ... Message that will bring forth the forerunning of the Second Coming of Christ" (Qtd. in Weaver 27). This divine calling, as Branham saw it, led him to begin an extremely influential ministry. The commission of the angel started Branham's miraculous healing ministry which would continue for more than a decade. Branham claimed that the angel stayed with him throughout his entire life and was sent from God to help him with his healing ministry.

Until the late 1950's Branham traveled around the country and around the world, preaching to thousands, performing healings and having visions. His healing ministry was one of the major forces in the Pentecostal revival of the time period. By the late 1950's however, Branham felt called to "restore the gospel" (Weaver, 108) and he began to develop doctrines which were highly controversial and unorthodox. These doctrines caused Branham's popularity to decline. Yet, despite popular attitude, a group of individuals began to follow Branham's teachings.

On December 18, 1965, Branham was involved in a head-on car collusion which proved to be fatal. Though he died on Christmas Eve, 1965, Branham's ministry survived through the efforts of his devoted followers. Convinced that Branham's controversial doctrines were the one way to get to heaven these followers created "the Message," a movement dedicated to the preservation of Branham's teachings.

During the final years of his life, Branham's message focused on eschatological issues. Interpreting Revelation chapters 1, 2, and 3, Branham preached that there were seven church ages throughout the history of Christianity. Each church age had a specific messenger who preached the "message of the hour;" if this message was not followed, salvation could not be obtained. The first messenger was Paul of Tarsus, the last was yet to be revealed. Branham concluded that the world was in the midst of the seventh and final church age and that soon a prophet would reveal the word of God. Although he made no outright claims, Branham felt that he was the messenger to the seventh church age, the age of Laodicea.

According to Branham, the age to which he was ministering to was corrupt and the only means of salvation for this age would be through a prophet, sent from God. Branham described several characteristics of this prophet, all which paralleled his life and beliefs. Followers of Branham came to believe that he was this prophet. Believers claim that Branham's prophetic calling can be seen through many facets of his life. The most important proof of Branham's validity was his visions. Branham claimed that he had received visions through the course of his lifetime; it was these visions which directed his ministry and directly influenced his doctrine. The Branhamites, followers of Branham, also hold that Branham's calling can also be seen through his "miraculous" healing ministry as well as through several pictures of Branham that depict Branham with a halo of light over his head and shoulder.

Acknowledging that William Branham is the prophet of the age, prompts believers to espouse numerous other beliefs most of which differ from mainstream religious beliefs. Branham claimed he received these beliefs, or "revelations," from God and that he was responsible for letting his church know these truths. Some of the controversial beliefs held by Branhamites include: anti-denominationalism, denial of eternal hell, predestination and the "serpent seed" doctrine. True followers believe every doctrine that Branham introduced because they believe that he was sent from God.

Branham preached that denominationalism was the "mark of the beast," an idea which is mentioned in Revelation. He was also leery of the Catholic Church claiming that the Church owned all the gold in the world and would someday take over the United States (Weaver 117). He felt that if one belonged to a denomination, his way to salvation would be blocked. This idea leads followers of William Branham to believe that to be truly saved, one cannot belong to a denomination. Believers claim that although those belonging to denominations may be sincere, they do not possess the full truth because they are not followers of William Branham.

One of Branham's more controversial doctrines denied eternal hell. According the Branham the unjust would be punished and tormented in hell. However, their punishment would not be eternal. Branham claimed that there is only one eternal life -- that which is granted to the faithful, the children of God. Branham also preached that those in hell cannot be tormented forever because that would mean they received eternal life. Branham also justified this by pointing out that the phrase eternal hell is never used in the Bible. The Bible only that they [the sinful] would burn forever and ever. He maintains that forever is a space of time, not an eternity. Thus, the sinful may be tormented for millions of years, but they will eventually be destroyed.

Branham's stance on salvation greatly differed from that of mainstream churches. He preached the doctrine of predestination which states that God knew all those who would be his children before they were born. Even though a man may be predestined for salvation or condemnation, his freedom to choose or not to choose salvation is not taken away. Predestination, according to Branham, simply means that God knew those who would be saved and those who wouldn't be saved because God is omniscient. Branham reassured his followers that God wants all of humanity to be with him in heaven. Predestination is not God choosing who would and who wouldn't be saved rather it is His foreknowledge of a man's choice.

The most controversial doctrine that William Branham taught is the "serpent seed" doctrine. Branham claimed that the fall of man in the Garden of Eden occurred after Eve had sexual intercourse with the serpent. The serpent was the missing link between man and ape and this allowed for the sexual interaction between it and Eve. Cain was the offspring of this interaction and thus carried the seed of Satan in him, the serpent's seed. The godly seed was carried on through Seth. The seed of Satan, present in Cain, was the cause of all civilization including the educational system and scientific development (Weaver, 113). It was the seduction of Eve by the serpent which started procreation through sexual intercourse as well as the presence of the seed of Satan in man.

Though Branham's doctrines are highly controversial and are a result of unorthodox interpretations of the Bible, his followers believe that these doctrines are the unaltered word of God. They maintain that the words of William Branham are infallible because he was a messenger from God, a prophet sent to save the world during its last days. Branham's eschatological message declares that the end of the world is at hand and that to be saved you must follow his teachings. His followers dot the globe; however, there is often disagreement as to the extent of Branham's identity with Christ (some claim that Branham is God in the flesh) and the interpretation of his teachings. Despite these differences, one thing is held in common, all followers of William Branham believe that he was a prophet, sent to this last age to save all of mankind from condemnation through strict obedience to his teachings.

Prepared by Elisabeth Lindeman
New Religious Movements student, Spring 1996

http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/williambranham1.html

He began to believe his own PR...& thought himself above all else, as the great End-time prophet. He was not, & his doctrine is very corrupted, & cultic. I believe he was called as a prophet, & I may be wrong, but not one of his prophesies have ever failed. Long before the atomic bomb was invented, Branham saw America pock marked, & barren, like the surface of the moon, & a woman in a blue dress....that he thought may have been President. [ Hilary?]...which means Nuclear Warfare has devastated us...I think it is possible.

He was not the only one that Satan has came in & deceived...Google Alexander Dowie, who suffered an early death...who healed thousands...but believed he was the Elijah/High Priest of the End-Times....almost exactly down WB's path. WB was used in real ways, but got seriously side-tracked....but does it mean he is lost? ... God looks on the entireity of a man's life, & may have spared him...We'll see if we too make it.

In Jeffersonville, Indiana, at his temple, [ built the dimensions of Noah's Ark..] the Branham faithful gather every Easter morn, to see if this is the day their Prophet will raise from the dead.....he hasn't yet....& I am not holding my breath.