Windows 10?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

nhaas

Oct 3, 2015
Fresno, Ca
so how many people have switch to windows 10? I didnt like windows 8(1) so I am still on windows 7 - ultimate. Still using MCE.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't like any windows OS at this household. It's either Android, Linux or Mac OS's. Although I will admit that Mac dropped the ball lately with iOS9 which is out of character for them. But I can believe those kinds of shinanigans with windows all the time, incompatibilites, slow-ups and malware which the others don't have problems with anywhere near the degree Microsoft has. As far as windows 10 goes, it's the same ugly lady so-to-speak with different make-up on hoping she's pretty. As long as it has that dreaded registry, which it does, nothing has changed just like politics.

Tech Support

Tech Support
Aug 17, 2015
nhaas said:
so how many people have switch to windows 10? I didnt like windows 8(1) so I am still on windows 7 - ultimate. Still using MCE.
I was using Windows 7 Ultimate also and decided to try out Windows 10. I have tried all versions of Windows since Windows first came out. I actually started in the DOS days. In any event, Windows 7 was my favorite O/S of all time and I liked it better than XP. I like Windows 10 and it is much better than Window 8 in my opinion. Since it is free for only a year, I would wait until around the 11th month and then install it. They will have most of the major bugs out of the way by then. Although, I haven't really seen that many bugs yet. Eventually as with all O/S they will stop updates for Windows 7 and then you are subject to vulnerabilities. If you install Windows 10, there is an option to go back to Windows 7 with a click of a button, but they only give you 30 days for that.

You can also use VLC for your media player.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I had Windows Vista 8.1 and took the free upgrade to Windows 10.. I noticed little to no difference, but kind of wish I had just stayed put with Window 8.

Jan 11, 2016
Have they fixed the bugs with windows 10 yet?

I downloaded it but after that couldn't play videos? Then reverted back to windows 7 and works fine again. That was months ago.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Veni_Creator_Spiritus said:
Have they fixed the bugs with windows 10 yet?

I downloaded it but after that couldn't play videos? Then reverted back to windows 7 and works fine again. That was months ago.
It is ALWAYS best to do a clean install of ANY operating system. Yes they constantly update it and I have had no major problems with viewing videos. You may want to use VLC if there are videos you are having problems viewing. I would also recommend using IE and not their new Edge browser.

Jan 11, 2016
StanJ said:
It is ALWAYS best to do a clean install of ANY operating system. Yes they constantly update it and I have had no major problems with viewing videos. You may want to use VLC if there are videos you are having problems viewing. I would also recommend using IE and not their new Edge browser.
I'm not big on computer stuff, by clean install what do you mean? Doesn't Windows 10 uninstall the previous operating system prior to installing itself?

And the videos that wouldn't play were like on facebook or other sites. you know, short clips. Youtube worked but that was the only one

Thanks

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm not big on computer stuff, by clean install what do you mean? Doesn't Windows 10 uninstall the previous operating system prior to installing itself?
And the videos that wouldn't play were like on facebook or other sites. you know, short clips. Youtube worked but that was the only one

Thanks
No, it upgrades certain Windows components, but not previous bad or corrupted software, which can continue to plague your systems integrity. It's always best to backup your data and then do a clean install of the operating system. Then you can install all of the software that you had on there before.
Facebook settings are controlled in Facebook, but also a good reason to make a clean install as programs are compiled for the version of the operating system they're made for. Windows 7 or 8 programs will not necessarily work properly on a Windows 10 operating system. The operating system should always be the base installation on any system to which you add the compatible software on top of.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks
No, as I said, it upgrades only what is needed. This is the difference between upgrade and fresh install. Windows does the upgrade option so users don't have to backup their data. With a fresh install the user have to backup all the data they want to save because a fresh install doesn't save the data. That would be things like your document files your music files your video files and so on. If you do a fresh install all of that is overwritten by the operating system. If you do an upgrade all windows does is upgrade parts of the system that need to be upgraded. Not all new iterations of Windows are totally new, they only upgrade certain code to bring it up to the present. Not all code is new, and not all parts of the operating system are new on upgrades.

Video playback is controlled IN the Facebook settings, not in Windows. Youtube is also in the site but only plays in the site.

Chilehead

Feb 13, 2016
Stockbridge, GA
Haven't upgraded yet. My current PC uses Win7, my last one used XP. My wife's PC uses Win8.1. I can't stand Win8.1, but she likes it. My understanding is that the Win10 GUI is a blend of Win7 and Win8.1. I have also read that Win10 has some negative stability issues. I think I am going to stay with Win7 till all support ends. For all the techies here, please comment on these points whether true/untrue. Not that it matters, but Windows 2000 was Microsoft's best OS IMHO.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Chilehead said:
Haven't upgraded yet. My current PC uses Win7, my last one used XP. My wife's PC uses Win8.1. I can't stand Win8.1, but she likes it. My understanding is that the Win10 GUI is a blend of Win7 and Win8.1. I have also read that Win10 has some negative stability issues. I think I am going to stay with Win7 till all support ends. For all the techies here, please comment on these points whether true/untrue. Not that it matters, but Windows 2000 was Microsoft's best OS IMHO.
In my opinion the problem with new Windows installation is always that they are installed on top of old ones. My preference has always been to do a fresh installation of the newest OS and then reinstall all the programs you want. There is an app or program from windows that will tell you if your PC is ready to receive Windows 10 or not, and you should be able to download it from the Windows Store. If you have more than one hard drive then backup all your data to the second drive that the operating system is not installed on. Then you can install the new OS on the main drive. I wouldn't be too concerned about all the negative comments you hear about Windows 10. I've heard the same comments over the years about every single MS OS and they've all turned out to be quite over reactive. I always live by the old adage by the old adage 'garbage in garbage out'.
If you have any problems PM me and I'll try to help you out.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It seems that every other release of windows is bad, excluding the server releases that have always been good because they don't include useless stuff. Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, ??Windows 10??

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
It seems that every other release of windows is bad, excluding the server releases that have always been good because they don't include useless stuff. Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, ??Windows 10??
Yes, seems, but in actuality they are no worse than the server releases. The issue behind the differences is that server releases are installed by people who know what they're doing whereas updates or upgrades on PCs are installed by the users, and we know just how little most users know. I have never had a serious problem with any OS since 1994, because I was taught by professional IT people how to properly install the OS'.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
StanJ said:
Yes, seems, but in actuality they are no worse than the server releases. The issue behind the differences is that server releases are installed by people who know what they're doing whereas updates or upgrades on PCs are installed by the users, and we know just how little most users know. I have never had a serious problem with any OS since 1994, because I was taught by professional IT people how to properly install the OS'.
I'm one of them pc users that knows nothing about upgrading are anything else pertaining to computers. I went from 7 to 10 and it
​has been a nightmare. No sound, and the security isn't compatible, which is, Kaspersky. How do I clean it and redo the windows 10?

Chilehead

Feb 13, 2016
Stockbridge, GA
StanJ said:
If you have any problems PM me and I'll try to help you out.
Thanks, Stan. According to Microsoft, extended support for Win7 is through the year 2020. I have till this summer before Microsoft stops offering Win10 for free, and think it wise to wait a bit longer till they work out a few more bugs. My PC also uses Ubuntu, but that's another story completely.