World Cup - anyone watching the matches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone is watching the World Cup.
England and the USA will be playing on friday.
Today we were playing Iran , the final score was 6-2 , I missed every goal as I was working and seemed to be in the wrong place all the time. The residents had it on in the lounges and some of their rooms ……I would go and check on the match every so often, each time another goal had been scored just prior to me getting there.
I am not working Friday , I know which team I will be cheering for…….sorry USA ,it’s not you !!!
let the battle for goals commence ! !

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Today we were playing Iran , the final score was 6-2 , I missed every goal as I was working and seemed to be in the wrong place all the time. The residents had it on in the lounges and some of their rooms ……I would go and check on the match every so often, each time another goal had been scored just prior to me getting there.
I am not working Friday , I know which team I will be cheering for…….sorry USA ,it’s not you !!!
Ray has been watching England v Iran and Wales v USA. When I heard the Welsh team singing the anthem it made me shiver as my Welsh mum used to sing it.

Reactions: Rita

Angel Faith

Nov 17, 2022
Left Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I watch on and off. Not a soccer fan but do hope USA wins. It's years since we were at the cup. What a blessing to take the victory.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I watch on and off. Not a soccer fan but do hope USA wins. It's years since we were at the cup. What a blessing to take the victory.
It will be interesting to see who eventually goes through, obviously being from this side of the pond, I want it to be England and Wales ……..I am not a massive football fan, but do get into the Euros and World Cup. This is the first cup since my dad passed in august, he was a massive football fan, but for some weird reason he was very negative toward the English team. It’s going to be strange watching it without him speaking up against them and supporting the team they were playing.

• Sad
Reactions: Angel Faith

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ray has been watching England v Iran and Wales v USA. When I heard the Welsh team singing the anthem it made me shiver as my Welsh mum used to sing it.
It’s their first World Cup since the 1950’s ………so I will be cheering them on as well.

Reactions: Pearl

Angel Faith

Nov 17, 2022
Left Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It will be interesting to see who eventually goes through, obviously being from this side of the pond, I want it to be England and Wales ……..I am not a massive football fan, but do get into the Euros and World Cup. This is the first cup since my dad passed in august, he was a massive football fan, but for some weird reason he was very negative toward the English team. It’s going to be strange watching it without him speaking up against them and supporting the team they were playing.
Aww, my deepest sympathies for your loss.
I am sure it is hard for you adjusting to life without him.

There's no losers really when a team qualifies for the WC.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Aww, my deepest sympathies for your loss.
I am sure it is hard for you adjusting to life without him.

There's no losers really when a team qualifies for the WC.
Thank you ……..
It is an achievement , but nothing can beat actually winning the tournament.

Reactions: Angel Faith

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone is watching the World Cup...

Not me, I'd rather watch an exciting episode of The Waltons- "Granma knits a shawl for the county fair and Olivia bakes a cake".
Hmm sounds good..:)

PS- I was more interested in football in my younger days and had a trial for Leicester City F.C. in 1969 when I was 21, it was our team of triallists versus another team of triallists and we won 4-2.
I - ahem- hit the back of the net twice and went home to wait for the manager to call round with the expected signing-up papers.
52 years later i'm still waiting..

jeffweeder

Jul 6, 2007
South Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Rita
Huge England fan here. They were terrific today, beautiful to watch.
I am a massive Leeds fan since late 60's early 70's. Dropship will remember how awesome they were then.

Will be watching USA game with interest as 2 of their players play for Leeds, one being the captain. England 3-1. Both to go through in the group. USA to edge out Wales on goal difference.

Reactions: Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about this earlier today. What a waste of time and money. And then to go to Qatar of all places!
I agree about going to Quatar, but FIFA were bribed to accept their bid over ten years ago.
I guess, for me and England, it’s kind of engrained within our culture. It’s also a time when family get together for a few hours and have a laugh while the game is on.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How did the rainbow arm band work out? Did they wear it?
They backed out of wearing them because they would be imposed with yellow cards during the matches if they did, but they did take the knee before the game started, and Iran didn’t sing along with their national anthem but remained silent. ( This was in support of anti government protesters in their country )

Reactions: Gottservant

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rita
Huge England fan here. They were terrific today, beautiful to watch.
I am a massive Leeds fan since late 60's early 70's. Dropship will remember how awesome they were then.

Will be watching USA game with interest as 2 of their players play for Leeds, one being the captain. England 3-1. Both to go through in the group. USA to edge out Wales on goal difference.
I was gutted that I missed all the goals !!lol
So is that your prediction for Friday and the group. I was going to go 3 -1 as well as we often have goal predictions before we watch the game. …not sure about the USA going through yet.

Yes, I remember Leeds being one of the top clubs. My twin brother supported Man City at the time.

Reactions: jeffweeder

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not me, I'd rather watch an exciting episode of The Waltons- "Granma knits a shawl for the county fair and Olivia bakes a cake".
Hmm sounds good..:)

PS- I was more interested in football in my younger days and had a trial for Leicester City F.C. in 1969 when I was 21, it was our team of triallists versus another team of triallists and we won 4-2.
I - ahem- hit the back of the net twice and went home to wait for the manager to call round with the expected signing-up papers.
52 years later i'm still waiting..
That’s a long wait……! ( so sorry you never got the call )
Lol re ‘ The Walton’s ‘ ……I must admit some of Englands matches in the passed have been like watching paint dry. I only watch England and Wales, if they go out I tend to lose interest unless an under dog team come through and beat the bigger countries.

Reactions: Dropship

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Yeah but they began to slide when manager Revie left to be England manager, the Leeds board then appointed Brian Clough as manager but it was a disaster because the players and fans didn't like Clough because he'd criticised the Leeds team in the past, so the board panicked and sacked him early.
Maybe if they'd kept him on, they'd have won the European Cup..:)

Reactions: jeffweeder