World Cup - anyone watching the matches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
England are a bit unpredictable ( lol ) they can either be on good form and play well against the big teams or they can play really badly and be beat by the teams they should beat easily. I love it when they play Germany , but France I simply don’t like.
Japan beat Germany and Saudi Arabia beat argentina and Italy didn’t even make it in , so there have already been some surprises !
I actually want Iran to get through because of the courage they showed with their protest xx
The men's team have a lot to live up to this year since their female counterparts won the women's world cup.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The men's team have a lot to live up to this year since their female counterparts won the women's world cup.
Yes I know, although it was the Euros it is still something to live up to xx

Reactions: Pearl

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up playing soccer. 8 years of my life. I wasn't really any good at it though. It would be nice to watch the world cup, but it would have to wait till it comes out on youtube for me.

Reactions: Rita

Angel Faith

Nov 17, 2022
Left Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For others who may not know about the meaning of the rainbow armband.

World Cup teams abandon rainbow armband after learning of consequences

The European soccer teams that were planning to wear rainbow armbands during the World Cup have decided against the decision.

The Royal Dutch Futbol Association, which had spearheaded the movement, said FIFA told them a player wearing the OneLove armband would receive a yellow card.

The OneLove armbands were to be worn by the team captains of the Dutch, England, Wales, Belgium, Switzerland and Denmark.

The OneLove campaign is meant to show solidarity with all people across the globe. The rainbow lettering is commonly seen as a nod to the LGBTQ community.

Qatar, which is hosting the World Cup, has faced criticism for human rights abuses.

The Royal Dutch Futbol Association said it was willing to pay a possible fine for the captain to wear an armband. It was critical of FIFA for alerting them of the decision a day before their game and threatening to punish the players.

"This goes against the spirit of our sport that connects millions of people," the association said.

The Royal Dutch Futbol Association added it would take a "critical look at our relationship with FIFA in the coming period."

jeffweeder

Jul 6, 2007
South Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

For others who may not know about the meaning of the rainbow armband.

World Cup teams abandon rainbow armband after learning of consequences

The European soccer teams that were planning to wear rainbow armbands during the World Cup have decided against the decision.

The Royal Dutch Futbol Association, which had spearheaded the movement, said FIFA told them a player wearing the OneLove armband would receive a yellow card.

The OneLove armbands were to be worn by the team captains of the Dutch, England, Wales, Belgium, Switzerland and Denmark.

The OneLove campaign is meant to show solidarity with all people across the globe. The rainbow lettering is commonly seen as a nod to the LGBTQ community.

Qatar, which is hosting the World Cup, has faced criticism for human rights abuses.

The Royal Dutch Futbol Association said it was willing to pay a possible fine for the captain to wear an armband. It was critical of FIFA for alerting them of the decision a day before their game and threatening to punish the players.

"This goes against the spirit of our sport that connects millions of people," the association said.

The Royal Dutch Futbol Association added it would take a "critical look at our relationship with FIFA in the coming period."
Hi Angel
I understand what the arm band means, I just wasn't sure if you agreed with me giving them the thumbs up for not wearing it.
Another poster gave me an angry rating for it.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
England are a bit unpredictable ( lol ) they can either be on good form and play well against the big teams or they can play really badly and be beat by the teams they should beat easily. I love it when they play Germany , but France I simply don’t like.
Japan beat Germany and Saudi Arabia beat argentina and Italy didn’t even make it in , so there have already been some surprises !
I actually want Iran to get through because of the courage they showed with their protest xx
Iran absolutely belted Wales defence in the 2nd half, and got 2 late goals to win it.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Iran absolutely belted Wales defence in the 2nd half, and got 2 late goals to win it.
Yes, both in extra time - I kind of feel sorry for Wales as a home team, they play England on Tuesday !
And the Iran team sang there anthem today - I respected them not singing it , but it goes to show how fear of a regime can change your minds x

Reactions: Josho

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Welsh goalie was sent off for dangerous play I think.
Really, I was only following part of the match on my phone and checked the final score……

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just watched the highlights from the Wales match , yes the goalie messed up. Feel really sorry for the player that took his place. I believe that they have to beat England on Tuesday to stay in !!!!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a funny post on Facebook- whoever loses the match tonight ( uk v us ) must keep James Cordon !!! Lol

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Right my son and granddaughter and her friends are about to arrive to watch the match xx

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a funny post on Facebook- whoever loses the match tonight ( uk v us ) must keep James Cordon !!! Lol
He was good in 'One Chance' the film about Paul Potts.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He was good in 'One Chance' the film about Paul Potts.
Yes,that was a good film. I don’t dislike him but do think his status in the US has gone to his head a bit and most people I speak to don’t like him. …….

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Welsh goalie was sent off for dangerous play I think.
He ran out from the box and bumped into an Iranian player, he was also caught with a high boot. Unlucky that the ref reviewed the foul, in what was probably just a little brain fade moment for the Welsh goalie, but was doing pretty well to protect the goal before that, with the amount of pressure Iran was putting on.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Australia beat Tunisia 1-0, next game against Denmark won't be an easy one, depending on France vs Denmark, Australia are either gonna have to beat Denmark or draw with them.

Reactions: Rita