Write in Ballot...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
Does anyone else on this forum ever consider a write in for presidential candidate?

I did last season... I am considering it again...

I was never happy with Obama, and I don't care for Romney, especially since he is just sitting back and saying almost nothing of substance...

If you had your way, would you stick with the two candidates we have been stuck with, or would you find someone else?

Does anyone know about the write in option?

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Eltanin.

Sure. The write-in box or window is a place on the ballot where one can write the name of the candidate of your choice, if you want someone other than those of the two majority parties and all the minority parties. It's usually the last line of the selections available. You will notice, too, that there are other candidates than those of the two majority parties. We DO have alternate, minority parties that like to throw their hats into the ring. That is your prerogative.

HOWEVER, such write-ins are seldom successful. Many who use the write-in option do so to make a statement. They will write in "Mickey Mouse" or "Charlie Brown" or even "Snoopy" to say that ANY CHARACTER would be better than the majority candidates! I used to work in a polling district as one of the voting machine custodians. It was our job, on occasion, to perform the recounts manually, and I've seen some real DOOZIES written in! "Paul Bunyan," "Superman," "Gene Wilder," "Hannibal Smith," "Mr. T," "J. R. Ewing," "Eliot Ness," "Captain James T. Kirk," "Big Foot," you name it! Many have chosen their OWN names; some put in a relative's name; some put in a teacher's name. The only problem is that it is basically a non-vote.

Now, if a political group was large enough and could convince enough people to vote for ONE particular candidate, it might be possible to truly make a difference, but it is unlikely, primarily because of the Electoral College. Who you are REALLY voting for is the electoral member who will vote on behalf of his/her constituents for a candidate, and he or she will most likely vote for the majority-party choice of his constituency. Ah, America! Who else in this world has so twisted a system?

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
Shalom, Eltanin.

Sure. The write-in box or window is a place on the ballot where one can write the name of the candidate of your choice, if you want someone other than those of the two majority parties and all the minority parties. It's usually the last line of the selections available. You will notice, too, that there are other candidates than those of the two majority parties. We DO have alternate, minority parties that like to throw their hats into the ring. That is your prerogative.

HOWEVER, such write-ins are seldom successful. Many who use the write-in option do so to make a statement. They will write in "Mickey Mouse" or "Charlie Brown" or even "Snoopy" to say that ANY CHARACTER would be better than the majority candidates! I used to work in a polling district as one of the voting machine custodians. It was our job, on occasion, to perform the recounts manually, and I've seen some real DOOZIES written in! "Paul Bunyan," "Superman," "Gene Wilder," "Hannibal Smith," "Mr. T," "J. R. Ewing," "Eliot Ness," "Captain James T. Kirk," "Big Foot," you name it! Many have chosen their OWN names; some put in a relative's name; some put in a teacher's name. The only problem is that it is basically a non-vote.

Now, if a political group was large enough and could convince enough people to vote for ONE particular candidate, it might be possible to truly make a difference, but it is unlikely, primarily because of the Electoral College. Who you are REALLY voting for is the electoral member who will vote on behalf of his/her constituents for a candidate, and he or she will most likely vote for the majority-party choice of his constituency. Ah, America! Who else in this world has so twisted a system?
Cool. LOL

A point that I was going to make was the idea that you can make a statement, even though a write in doesn't have a real shot because of the electorate...

But imagine if all those Mickie Mouses and Supermans were actual candidates that had been if the race before the candidates were narrowed down to the red and blue...

Yeah, they probably wouldn't make it into office, but the nation and our elected officials would have a better idea of what platforms might make them better...

And if it were reported that certain people actually had enough write-ins to be noticeable, well maybe the rest of the nation would begin to feel like a change can be put in place... I think we all realize by now that change isn't going to be initiated by a person we put in office, it is going to have to be started by the people...

Just imagine if people were writing in candidates that were forced out of the race earlier by the bipartisan monster...

Ron Paul
Rick Santorum
Newt Gingrich
Rick Perry
Buddy Roemer
Jon Huntsman Jr.
Gary Johnson
Michele Bachman
Thaddeuas Cotter
Herman Cain
Tim Pawlenty

When the polls rolled in, and people saw the masses in which other candidates were voted for, then maybe those who feel they only have a choice between red and blue will start considering other candidates as having a chance.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
The politicians are not responsable for Americans lack of choice,Americans are....everything the founders who were students of human nature warned us about we have embraced with the results they predicted.

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
The politicians are not responsable for Americans lack of choice,Americans are....everything the founders who were students of human nature warned us about we have embraced with the results they predicted.
I agree with this, and that is why I think people should take the write in option seriously.

When people take one step forward, it is usually easier to take additional step.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Eltanin.

Cool. LOL

A point that I was going to make was the idea that you can make a statement, even though a write in doesn't have a real shot because of the electorate...

But imagine if all those Mickie Mouses and Supermans were actual candidates that had been if the race before the candidates were narrowed down to the red and blue...

Yeah, they probably wouldn't make it into office, but the nation and our elected officials would have a better idea of what platforms might make them better...

And if it were reported that certain people actually had enough write-ins to be noticeable, well maybe the rest of the nation would begin to feel like a change can be put in place... I think we all realize by now that change isn't going to be initiated by a person we put in office, it is going to have to be started by the people...

Just imagine if people were writing in candidates that were forced out of the race earlier by the bipartisan monster...

Ron Paul
Rick Santorum
Newt Gingrich
Rick Perry
Buddy Roemer
Jon Huntsman Jr.
Gary Johnson
Michele Bachman
Thaddeuas Cotter
Herman Cain
Tim Pawlenty

When the polls rolled in, and people saw the masses in which other candidates were voted for, then maybe those who feel they only have a choice between red and blue will start considering other candidates as having a chance.

It's not impossible, just highly improbable. IF the candidate was supported by a lesser party, an independent party, then it would still be possible to swing the votes to that candidate through that party. However, there's just too many variables. It would be like trying to win the $1,000,000 on Wheel of Fortune; all the factors have to fall in place just so in order for it to happen.

Y'know, the Electoral College should not really be constitutional because it is a form of legislation without representation in the sense that we have NO choice whatsoever as to who will be representing us in the Electoral College! Furthermore, the Electoral College was invented because of the sheer size of a Presidential election across all the states and territories. With today's technology advances, we probably don't really need the College anymore.

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
I am not expecting to get someone beside our two candidates into the WH... Enough people would never agree on the same candidate...

What the point would be is to send a message to the politicians AND the people who have given up is that there are ways to make our voices heard, and we are ready to take them back...

Imagine if everyone who wasn't going to the polls at this point because they feel it doesn't matter anyway, realized that they DO have a voice, and began to look at election time as a way to be heard...

Each election more people would stand up because they saw the reports from the last go around, and realize that there is more than 2 choices... If you want to endorse one of the main candidates, then do what you need to do, but if you are abstaining from a vote because you don't like either, maybe you should go to the polls and write in what you feel this country should look like...

We need a revolution, and I prefer the bloodless kind... Don't know if it is possible, but revolution starts in people's minds... People need to change the way they think before they can make physical changes in the world around them...

I don't like the fact that so many Christians are just giving up and rolling over because they don't see how they can make a difference... If Jesus, Paul, any of the 12, Mary, Abraham, ANY person in the Bible would have given up because they felt they couldn't make a difference, we wouldn't be here now, would we?

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Eltanin.

I am not expecting to get someone beside our two candidates into the WH... Enough people would never agree on the same candidate...

What the point would be is to send a message to the politicians AND the people who have given up is that there are ways to make our voices heard, and we are ready to take them back...

Imagine if everyone who wasn't going to the polls at this point because they feel it doesn't matter anyway, realized that they DO have a voice, and began to look at election time as a way to be heard...

Each election more people would stand up because they saw the reports from the last go around, and realize that there is more than 2 choices... If you want to endorse one of the main candidates, then do what you need to do, but if you are abstaining from a vote because you don't like either, maybe you should go to the polls and write in what you feel this country should look like...

We need a revolution, and I prefer the bloodless kind... Don't know if it is possible, but revolution starts in people's minds... People need to change the way they think before they can make physical changes in the world around them...

I don't like the fact that so many Christians are just giving up and rolling over because they don't see how they can make a difference... If Jesus, Paul, any of the 12, Mary, Abraham, ANY person in the Bible would have given up because they felt they couldn't make a difference, we wouldn't be here now, would we?

You're right. It won't happen this time around, but if we survive and are still here come 2016, maybe we should do a little better with the Tea Party, making it a true contender to the GOP and the DP. I would really like to see candidates who can truly balance the budget, or even better, put our nation in the black again, for a change!