Your View

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your view of God is how you will interpret the word of God. For instance; if you have a view of God still handling people the way he did in the Old Testament, then you will have an Old Testament angry God syndrome. Your view of God will carry over into the New Testament and your view of your father will be distorted.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A timely post soul man. I was thinking about the fruit of the spirit this morning and that those fruits - Love, Joy, Peace; Patience, Kindness Goodness; Gentleness, Faithfulness and Temperance/Self control - are the characteristics of God. They are who he is.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A timely post soul man. I was thinking about the fruit of the spirit this morning and that those fruits - Love, Joy, Peace; Patience, Kindness Goodness; Gentleness, Faithfulness and Temperance/Self control - are the characteristics of God. They are who he is.

Hi Pat!
The fruit! That is what we all should strive for...and striving it is! I can fail at each one of them at times yet, it does get easier with practice and faith.
xx

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Pat!
The fruit! That is what we all should strive for...and striving it is! I can fail at each one of them at times yet, it does get easier with practice and faith.
xx
I think the Holy Spirit instils these God-like qualities within us but it up to us to let them grow, for from the fruit comes the seed.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen!

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pearl A great passage from Galatians, there.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your view of God is how you will interpret the word of God. For instance; if you have a view of God still handling people the way he did in the Old Testament, then you will have an Old Testament angry God syndrome. Your view of God will carry over into the New Testament and your view of your father will be distorted.
Amen!

And if your view of God is of an infinitely loving Creator, Who has rescued His creation from death, and now gathers us back into His family, it will be different!

:)

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think I'm gonna join Brakelite on this one (Sorry to expose your true identity Backlit).

He's always been the same God to me, Old Testament or New. I think this business of not viewing Him as very serious about sin being corrected comes from an inaccurate reading of the New Testament. Judgment came in the here and now during the times of the apostles just as it did during the Old Testament, and they made numerous references to it. We just read the word with rose-colored glasses because the church has become more distant from God since NT times, and as a result it's like not being in such close contact with the ark of the covenant anymore. But those days will return for the church in the future, and with it men will once again know that the God of the New Testament was and still is the God of the Old.

God bless, and I don't mean to be contrarian, but in this case I too have to disagree with your premise.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Absultely I believe that! they are the characteristics and personality of Christ

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You really think God was angry throughout the OT?
A figure of speech, but can you see any difference in the Old Testament creator God expression and New Testament expression of a father?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A figure of speech, but can you see any difference in the Old Testament creator God expression and New Testament expression of a father?
No, not if your read below the surface. If one just read the highlights.. Flood... Sodom... Plagues... Then one will receive a very warped picture of God. What is God's name?
Gracious, merciful, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.
Jesus came in part to declare the true character of His Father. The world had lost sight of Who God is. So they invented gods after their own corrupt wicked hearts. The idols ended up warring with one another... Having children with mistresses... Demanding sacrifices of appeasement of even their own children. Even Abraham didn't question God when told to sacrifice Isaac. But God was telling Abraham through that ordeal...I am not like them.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not if your read below the surface. If one just read the highlights.. Flood... Sodom... Plagues... Then one will receive a very warped picture of God. What is God's name?
Gracious, merciful, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.
Jesus came in part to declare the true character of His Father. The world had lost sight of Who God is. So they invented gods after their own corrupt wicked hearts. The idols ended up warring with one another... Having children with mistresses... Demanding sacrifices of appeasement of even their own children. Even Abraham didn't question God when told to sacrifice Isaac. But God was telling Abraham through that ordeal...I am not like them.

So are you saying they were children of God? And are you saying if people have a bad outlook on Old Testament God they are not reading below the surface? That is alot of emphasis on the believer to read right to get it right to be right. Am I reading you right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@soul man An interesting question: so what do you make of Isaiah 63.16? :)

"Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting."

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The God of the Old Testament is the same as the God of the New Testament. Therefore we need to maintain a unified view of God (who is immutable).

In the OT we see God bringing His wrath to bear upon His enemies, and the enemies of Israel, and also destroying the world with the Flood because of sin and evil. But since the coming of Christ, God is offering grace, mercy, and pardon to humanity, AND HOLDING HIS WRATH IN ABEYANCE. We are presently in the Age of Grace, the Gospel Age, and the Church Age.

But we also see that during the Tribulation and Great Tribulation, God will once again unleash His wrath against evildoers and enemies of God and Christ. And the wrath of God will also be the wrath of the Lamb.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man An interesting question: so what do you make of Isaiah 63.16? :)

"Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting."

It's simple, God did not birth them. It's like Lucifer called the son of the morning, he was not a birthed son he was created. Israel is called the Church in the wilderness but they were not the church they were simply a chosen people. Abraham is not our father, God is our father.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The God of the Old Testament is the same as the God of the New Testament. Therefore we need to maintain a unified view of God (who is immutable).

In the OT we see God bringing His wrath to bear upon His enemies, and the enemies of Israel, and also destroying the world with the Flood because of sin and evil. But since the coming of Christ, God is offering grace, mercy, and pardon to humanity, AND HOLDING HIS WRATH IN ABEYANCE. We are presently in the Age of Grace, the Gospel Age, and the Church Age.

But we also see that during the Tribulation and Great Tribulation, God will once again unleash His wrath against evildoers and enemies of God and Christ. And the wrath of God will also be the wrath of the Lamb.

I do understand why it is so hard to see the difference! Doesn't mean God is not going to bring an end one day, but the way he handled people in the Old Testament compared to what we read and know in the New Testament is completely estranged.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's simple, God did not birth them. It's like Lucifer called the son of the morning, he was not a birthed son he was created. Israel is called the Church in the wilderness but they were not the church they were simply a chosen people. Abraham is not our father, God is our father.
I think there are several scriptures that would give cause for discussion re the above.
See Romans 4:9-12; Acts 7:38; Exod.19:5,6;
1 Peter 2:9; Revelation 12:5.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So are you saying they were children of God? And are you saying if people have a bad outlook on Old Testament God they are not reading below the surface? That is alot of emphasis on the believer to read right to get it right to be right. Am I reading you right?
They?
If you read scripture superficially you could end up with a false view of God.
can you see any difference in the Old Testament creator God expression and New Testament expression of a father?
KJV Exodus 4
22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord , Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
23 and I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.