Zechariah 14 . . . Fulfilled? or Future?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah 14:1-9 KJV
1) Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.
2) For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
3) Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.
4) And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
5) And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.
6) And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark:
7) But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
8) And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.
9) And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

Already fulfilled? Or are we still waiting for these things to happen?

As for me, no, these events have not happened yet.

Much love!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah 14:1-9 KJV
1) Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.
2) For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
3) Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.
4) And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
5) And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.
6) And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark:
7) But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
8) And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.
9) And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

Already fulfilled? Or are we still waiting for these things to happen?

As for me, no, these events have not happened yet.

Much love!

There are so many passages in that 14th Chapter about the end of this world, and about the world to come, that only the Biblical illiterate could make the mistake of thinking that was past history.

Now those who 'claim' to know God's Word, and claim to be studied, IF they deny that is for the future, then it means those are clearly out to deceive, and serve the devil as crept in unawares.

Thus the Zechariah 14 Chapter is an easy read, and simple to understand, so there is no excuse.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You highlighted a part of Zech 14:2 - ...I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle... So what is your interpretation of these words through the eyes and thoughts of Zechariah and his audience? What would the audience think of 'all nations'?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You highlighted a part of Zech 14:2 - ...I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle... So what is your interpretation of these words through the eyes and thoughts of Zechariah and his audience? What would the audience think of 'all nations'?
Did you have an answer to my question? Fulfulled already? Or not yet? I highlighted several things that for me indicate that no, this has not been fulfilled.

To answer your question, "all nations", I interpret it to mean just that. I think the Hebrew word there is goyim? Please excuse my greatly limited knowledge of Hebrew! But that's the word for Gentiles, right? "All the Gentiles", I'm thinking is what they would have understood.

There is a parallel passage in Ezekiel,

Ezekiel 39:17-20 KJV
17) And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood.
18) Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan.
19) And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.
20) Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chariots, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord GOD.

Another parallel passage,

Zechariah 12:1-3 KJV
1) The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
2) Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.
3) And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

Much love!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you have an answer to my question? Fulfulled already? Or not yet? I highlighted several things that for me indicate that no, this has not been fulfilled.

To answer your question, "all nations", I interpret it to mean just that. I think the Hebrew word there is goyim? Please excuse my greatly limited knowledge of Hebrew! But that's the word for Gentiles, right? "All the Gentiles", I'm thinking is what they would have understood.

There is a parallel passage in Ezekiel,

Ezekiel 39:17-20 KJV
17) And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood.
18) Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan.
19) And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.
20) Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chariots, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord GOD.

Another parallel passage,

Zechariah 12:1-3 KJV
1) The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
2) Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.
3) And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

Much love!
marks, addressing your OP question. This prophecy has been fulfilled based on my extensive analysis of this Prophet's writing and others in the OT and the words of Christ in the NT, where the NT writings takes precedence.

One area of this analysis of mine forced me to look at common phrases, say used by Zechariah.

He used the term 'in that day 'some 17 times and they all applied to Jesus and his generation and never extended beyond his generation. Check it out.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He used the term 'in that day 'some 17 times and they all applied to Jesus and his generation and never extended beyond his generation. Check it out.
The Day of the LORD?

Much love!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Day of the LORD?

Much love!
No, not that term. 'In that day,' 'in the future,' 'on that day' depending of the Bible version. Some examples Zech 2:11; 3:10; 12:11; 13:1,2; 14:4, 20, 21 a few times. I just wanted to point out that Zechariah focused his messages a great deal on Christ and his generation. It is worth considering as evidence in the pursuit of truth and what the prophet was saying and why, and especially WHEN in this case marks.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you say, "takes precedence", do you mean "to settle disputes"? I see the Bible as being written in complete harmony.

Much love!
Yes in harmony indeed. Although when it is unclear between scriptures, then the NT should take precedence.

Reactions: Marty fox

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is all talking about destruction of Jerusalem … it happened in 70ad. Which established the new covenant.

If you have a Bible search tool program search

“the day” and see what you find in the New Testament.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is all talking about destruction of Jerusalem … it happened in 70ad. Which established the new covenant.

If you have a Bible search tool program search

“the day” and see what you find in the New Testament.
Here's a handy short parallel list:

Zechariah 14 Olivet Discourse - Siege of Jerusalem (v. 1-2) / Siege of Jerusalem (Mt. 24:2f)
Day of the Lord (v. 1, 5) / Coming of the Son of Man (24:30-31.)
Coming with his holy ones (vs. 5) / Coming with his angels (24:31).
Jews led away captive into the nations (v. 2) / Jews led away captive into the nations (Lk 21:24).
Flight from judgment (v. 5) / Flight from judgment (v. 15f)
Day known only to the Lord (v. 7) / Day known only to the Lord (v. 36).

Reactions: Marty fox

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not that term. 'In that day,' 'in the future,' 'on that day' depending of the Bible version. Some examples Zech 2:11; 3:10; 12:11; 13:1,2; 14:4, 20, 21 a few times. I just wanted to point out that Zechariah focused his messages a great deal on Christ and his generation. It is worth considering as evidence in the pursuit of truth and what the prophet was saying and why, and especially WHEN in this case marks.

Zechariah 14:1-4 KJV

In that day, that is, the day of YHWH.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes in harmony indeed. Although when it is unclear between scriptures, then the NT should take precedence.
All the Bible is equally true, I should say. Whichever passage seems more ambiguous should be understood by those less ambiguous, but there is no ambiguity in saying, The day of YHWH comes, and in that day, such and such will happen.

Much love!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah 14:1-4 KJV

In that day, that is, the day of YHWH.

Much love!
Yes, in this example of yours it works although they always do not have the same meaning. I would just be cautious into being too general and loose in the Hebrew/ Aramaic to English translations. I an very cautious and conservative when I do analysis work such as this...try to avoid generalizations and slow to draw conclusions and especially not draw unbaked/or premature conclusions.

Reactions: MatthewG

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, in this example of yours it works although they always do not have the same meaning. I would just be cautious into being too general and loose in the Hebrew/ Aramaic to English translations. I an very cautious and conservative when I do analysis work such as this...try to avoid generalizations and slow to draw conclusions and especially not draw unbaked/or premature conclusions.
Where am I generalizing? Where am I "loose"?

Making general and loose comments like this leave me wondering what you are referring to.

I'm looking at a fairly plainly stated (imo) passage for what it is saying.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, and yes . . . let us DO avoid "unbaked" conclusions, shall we? Poke them with a toothpick, make sure it comes out clean.

:)

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marks, addressing your OP question. This prophecy has been fulfilled

Could you explain this part?

Zechariah 14:3-4 KJV

Thank you!

Much love!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is this speaking of and what is the spoil?
Thank You
Hugs
This first verse is spoken by the prophet to the victors or the conquerors of the literal city called Jerusalem. They will leave the city in ruins and plunder it, and take the spoils they can see, grab, and can carry out of it. All valuable artifacts and materials will be taken, even people for slaves and the raping of women. They are all spoils of war.

And the unbelievers in Christ will see all this happening in front of their eyes.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Exodus 14:21-28 KJV
21) And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.
22) And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground: and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.
23) And the Egyptians pursued, and went in after them to the midst of the sea, even all Pharaoh's horses, his chariots, and his horsemen.
24) And it came to pass, that in the morning watch the LORD looked unto the host of the Egyptians through the pillar of fire and of the cloud, and troubled the host of the Egyptians,
25) And took off their chariot wheels, that they drave them heavily: so that the Egyptians said, Let us flee from the face of Israel; for the LORD fighteth for them against the Egyptians.
26) And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand over the sea, that the waters may come again upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots, and upon their horsemen.
27) And Moses stretched forth his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to his strength when the morning appeared; and the Egyptians fled against it; and the LORD overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea.
28) And the waters returned, and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the host of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them; there remained not so much as one of them.

Revelation 14:19-20 KJV
19) And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.
20) And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.

The winepress of God's wrath, pouring out a river of blood.

Much love!