“I will shew thee my faith by my works.“

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell me if I am wrong, Steve Harvey is stunned with the post you are responding too! If so LOL LOL LOL and thank you
Yes he is lol. I thought I'd try the humerous approach to saying... "Wait, is this guh serious?"

Reactions: Truth

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
WORKS OF THE LAW DOES NOT EQUAL GOOD WORKS

James 2:24 – compare the verse “a man is justified by works and not by faith alone” to Gal. 2:16 – “a man is not justified by works of the law,” and Rom. 3:20,28 – “no human being will be justified in His sight by works of the law.” James 2:24 appears to be inconsistent with Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28 until one realizes that the Word of God cannot contradict itself. This means that the “works” in James 2:24 are different from the “works of the law in Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28. James is referring to “good works” (e.g.,clothing the naked; giving food to the poor) and Paul is referring to the “Mosaic law” (which included both the legal, moral and ceremonial law) or any works which oblige God to give us payment. Here is more proof:

Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16 – Paul’s phrase for “works of the law” in the Greek is “ergon nomou” which means the Mosaic law or Torah and refers to the teachings (legal, moral) and works (ceremonial) that gave the Jews the knowledge of sin, but not an escape from sin. We have further proof of this from the Dead Sea Scrolls which provide the Hebrew equivalent (“hrvt ysm”) meaning “deeds of the law,” or Mosaic law. James in James 2 does not use “ergon nomou.” He uses “ergois agathois.” Therefore, Paul’s “works of the law” and James’ “works” are entirely different types of works. Again, they could never contradict each other because the Scriptures are the inspired word of God.

Rom. 3:29 – Paul confirms that works of the law in this case refer to the Mosaic law by rhetorically asking “Or is God the God of the Jews only?” It does not mean “good works.”

Rom. 4:9-17 – Paul provides further discussion that righteousness God seeks in us does not come from Mosaic law, but through faith. But notice that Paul also never says “faith alone.”

Rom. 9:31-32 – righteousness is pursued through faith, not works of the law. Again, “works of law” does not mean “good works.”

Rom. 11:6,11 – justification is no longer based on “works” of the law, but on the grace of Christ. Why? Because salvation is also for the Gentiles.

Rom. 15:9-12 – Paul explains that Christ also saves the Gentiles. Therefore, “works of law” are no longer required.

Acts 13:39 – Luke also confirms this by providing that we have been “freed from the law of Moses.” This is the “works of the law” from which we have been freed.

Rom. 3:20,28 – in addition to the Mosaic law, as stated above, “works of the law” can also refer to anything that makes God a debtor to us. This is because law requires payment, but grace is a free gift from God. Therefore, faith must be behind every good work in order for it to be a work of grace. If not, it is a work of debt, and we cannot obligate God to do anything for us.

Rom. 4:3-4 – Paul refers to works apart from God’s grace. We do not obligate God to give us grace like an employee obligates his employer to pay wages. Faith in Christ must be behind our good works in order for it to be considered a work of grace; otherwise, it is a work of law or obligation.

Rom. 6:23 – this is why Paul says the “wages” of sin is death. Eternal life is a free gift from God. We cannot obligate God to pay us for our works; otherwise, we are in a system of law, not a system of grace.

Rom. 11:35 – it is impossible to obligate God for payment, and sinful to think we can. We cannot do “works of the law” to obligate God. We are not in a debtor/creditor relationship with God. He owes us nothing. Instead, we are in a Father/child covenant relationship with Him, and He will reward us for being faithful.
Justification

“ergon nomou” (works of the law) and “ergois agathois”, (good works) are different words with different meanings and cannot be used interchangeably.

7 acts.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LC: It is my guess that if you would take the time to actually read the Bible you may be able to understand it.

The New Covenant has not started yet as is explained in Ezekiel 34,37; Jeremiah 30 and Hosea 3.

Sacrifices stopped in 70 AD after the Gentile Romans plundered and destroyed Yahweh's Holy Temple. The good news is that non animal sacrifices will start again during the coming New Covenant. Read the chapters I posted above so you may be able to understand this more than important Truth.

What you really mean is, "if you take the time to read 'your' bible", which naturally leaves out everything opposed to you. That's handy. I find it very telling that the Truth of God's Word, those 66 books of the Bible, is so perfect that in order for false teaching to enter in, there is almost always an adding to the Scripture, or a taking away from Scripture. In your case the latter.

Concerning your Old Testament verses, without a doubt, Israel has yet to experience the New Covenant. That is not because it isn't in place. It is. It is because of her constant rebellion and rejection of God and those He sends. Jesus Christ being the last One. They rejected Him just like they rejected the prophets of God. So they as a nation have yet to experience the New Covenant, but they will one day. For now, the Church is being called out and is enjoying the benefits of the New Covenant. All of which is described very well by the apostle Paul and others in the New Testament.

As for the Mosaic Law, there is nothing wrong with the Law. The problem always lies with the believer and his inability to keep the Law. It is that which Jesus Christ has taken care of. He fulfilled every aspect of the Law. And now the believer is in Christ. Now the believer is dead, buried, and resurrected with Christ, in the eyes of God. Which means what? The Law can't reach him. The Law has no power over a dead man. That is why it is called Grace.

The bottom line, don't try and take the New Covenant away from the Church, just because Israel is so stiffnecked and unbelieving.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he one that (James) wrote that was a Jew, under the Law of Moses and the first verse in his book shows his book to be only to the Jews who were under the law of Moses. It is not for the grace gospel.

Do not understand how you say James teaches works of the Law and not faith. James 1:3 says "Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." Faith in who? And James 1:6 "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that waverereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted."

"...let him ask in faith..." Faith in Christ
"A double minded man is unstable..." be single-minded in Christ
"Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted." --in Christ

James teaches faith in Christ. James is fit for the instruction to the Jew, which we are inwardly. ?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One must remember this one fact about works, Most works go unseen because we are not to let our right hand know what our left hand is doing!
When a Soul can reach out to someone, without there knowledge, and help them it only leaves them thankful to God for the Blessing, sometimes seen by man, but always seen By God.
Peoples outward works of being kind, and respectful, and compassionate, are what makes, some to have a good report among other believers! you know our interactions with our community, but true works come from the Heart, seeing that needs are met, secretly as possible!

I understand but again James had no problem showing his faith in Christ. We are told that when others ask where our hope comes from and how we have it, we are to tell them. Which means it is something others see and inquire about. Honestly, I didn't know where this thread would go and it really unraveled fast. The goal was, to offer testimony of how our faith is demonstrated and applied to life. Something different than quoting countless verses supporting a view. Instead demonstrating, again how our faith in Christ is applied to life. A teaching tool by example.

Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe That the message here is..we can do all kinds of "works" but unless our heart is firmly rooted in faith in the Lord Himself ...those works are just empty dead works.

Consider 1 John 3:14 "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death."

Reactions: TRU434

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not understand how you say James teaches works of the Law and not faith. James 1:3 says "Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." Faith in who? And James 1:6 "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that waverereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted."

"...let him ask in faith..." Faith in Christ
"A double minded man is unstable..." be single-minded in Christ
"Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted." --in Christ

James teaches faith in Christ. James is fit for the instruction to the Jew, which we are inwardly. ?

People act like the word "works" is like some kind of kryptonite to faith in Jesus. James did not at any point propose a works based salvation. All James was saying is that if you are really a christian, it would show by the way you carry yourself, by your fruits. Can you really call someone who carries himself like a dog, a viper, or a swine a christian? Of course not.

Reactions: bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
esus said that we must not seek to preserve our lives. By doing so, we no longer walk by faith but by sight; we no longer trust God for His unseen provision, but trust in the security we can see and have secured ourselves through covenants with the world. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. (Matthew 16:25).

We must forsake all covenants and commitments that bind us to the world and step into the realm of faith. Only then can we be completely in the will of God; that we may serve Him and receive His divine promises. We as brethren should be helping one another to forsake the world and live in this faith.

He said narrow is the way and few find it. "We as brethren should be helping one another to forsake the world and live in this faith." Helping one another … yes! But it is as if each of us believes we are competing against each other when we are not. We don't need to elbow and push and shove others out of the way of the path or else they get in our way... that is what the world does.

Reactions: TRU434

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love that quote. I may steal it. Lol. :p

Works without Christ are just done in vain for man's approval. I think it is easy to tell when someone is working in Christ. Christ's love just shines from them.

Go right ahead! Lol, there is nothing new under the sun! :)

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe the works are what we do to substantiate our faith. Peter believed he could walk on water but he had to prove his belief by doing something - stepping out of the boat.

Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1). Do we really live in this faith? I believe that unless we apply this faith to every area of our lives we can not be completely in the will of God. We may say to God, "I am ready to serve you Lord, use me to do your will". But are we really ready? Have we analysed all areas of our lives to see if there is anything we are 'doing' that contradicts the definition of faith.

Do you have a mortgage for example? Can you be a servant of God, as well as the bank? Can we serve two masters? Do we believe in God as our provider, yet make worldly covenants for security? We only demonstrate our lack of faith! "But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. But let your “Yes” be “Yes,” and your “No,” “No,” lest you fall into judgment." (James 5:12).

Jesus said that we must not seek to preserve our lives. By doing so, we no longer walk by faith but by sight; we no longer trust God for His unseen provision, but trust in the security we can see and have secured ourselves through covenants with the world. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. (Matthew 16:25).

We must forsake all covenants and commitments that bind us to the world and step into the realm of faith. Only then can we be completely in the will of God; that we may serve Him and receive His divine promises. We as brethren should be helping one another to forsake the world and live in this faith.
Is burning your house down an act of faith or an act of stupidity?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 2:17-18
[17] Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. [18] Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

There are multiple threads on works. This thread is not to debate “I will shew thee my faith by my works.” But to show what others may believe are the “works” that show their faith.

Do you have “works” you believe reveal your faith? What are those works? How have your demonstrated faith in the Son of God? How can others see your faith? Is it mere words that you have put your faith in the Son of God?

James was addressing the church's abuse of the poor in disrespecting the poor in the assembly at the start of James 2 nd chapter. Then James was addressing another abuse where they were verbalizing faith in God's Providence to the poor in getting out of helping the poor after service.

So to show that faith in God's Providence to the poor by their works is to meet the immediate needs of the poor from the bounty that was collected at church service, thereby showing faith in God's providence that He has provided not only to meet the immediate needs of the poor but what is necessary for the church to run on for the rest of the week until next service.

James was never talking about faith in Jesus Christ for salvation as that can only come without any works of our own les we take away the glory of Jesus Christ being our Saviour in how we were saved by the grace of God by faith in Jesus Christ at the calling of the gospel.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I will shew thee my faith by my works.“ I've been in court so many times over the past couple of years that I know my way around a building that was once confusing. God has put enemies in my life that bear false witness. It hurts me and I want them to stop and for others to know none of it is true. I used to be a manipulative person and a fearful person. Sometimes, when He is not leading I still am. I'm certain the faith I have is His and comes from God and He is the supplier and builder and maintainer of that faith. It is not in me to "work" anything. Most of the time I don't even understand. Sometimes I still wake up with this gnawing in my stomach, in a panic on how "this is insane! I have to force something to happen. I have to do something to fix this." It is in me to want to "control" the circumstances around me. The show of my faith in Him is that I no longer have to control or manipulate anything to work in my behalf. And here is my faith: Jesus stood before Pontius Pilate and didn't defend himself. He didn't manipulate the outcome. He didn't go around collecting evidence to prove His innocence. It is clear by the world that still mocks Him, "the world" has yet to see every knee bow and realize there is only One that has authority over all. The Son is still waiting to be declared or realized by all His enemies as the only authority that counts. It wasn't Pontius Pilate. For me, this shows the long-suffering of God that as we see in the other post here pertaining to Paul, it has yet to be seen "fully" that while yes Paul was a murderer...He was also chosen by God to declare God's mighty mercy to forgive.

My sister called the other night and was out of breath, sounding as if she was about to have a heart attack from stress. She said, "momma called and told me what is going on. You have to do something." The panic I sometimes feel was in her voice. I was given the opportunity to show my sister through peace that "God defends His." He has given me many opportunities to say the same to others. This is the faith He has given me, that even though it makes absolutely no sense...I trust. I don't have to prove I'm innocent to anyone; my innocence rest in the Son. I don't understand how Jesus's enemies will ever know He wasn't guilty, since the Son never went around trying to prove it. I don't understand how I will ever prove anything without manipulation, or producing evidence or defending myself...but He says it is not necessary. My trust is in God's action, which when you think about it: action=acts. It is not in me to allow others to think the worst without a defense. But my defense is God.

Last edited:
Reactions: quietthinker

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Victory: It is more than obvious that James was talking about the "Works" of following Yahweh's Laws, Torah and Commands. James made it clear that Paul's "faith and grace" without following Yahweh's Laws, Torah and Commands were as worthless as worthless can possibly be. Supposedly Jesus said that He did not come to do away with one jot or tittle of Yahweh's Laws, Torah and Commands:

Matthew 5:17-19
Matthew 5:17-19 17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven".

It is NOT so obvious when James was addressing the church's abuse of the poor in disrespecting the poor in the assembly as stated at the start of the second chapter of the Book of James. James continues on to another of the church's abuse of the poor and that was verbalizing faith in God's Providence without leading by example to the poor after church service.

So faith in God's Providence was what James was talking about needing works to follow, especially when the church was just verbalizing faith in God's providence to get out of helping meet the immediate needs of the poor after church service.

It was the murderer, tare and false apostle Paul that conjured/dreamed up the detestable tall tale that Yahweh's Laws/Torah/Commands were nailed to the Cross and that those Blessed and Holy Laws/Torah were a curse to man. Paul was the servant of the evil one/satan/devil.

Moses, the Prophets, Jesus and the true 12 Apostles followed/Observed Yahweh's Laws, Torah and Commands to the very end of their lives. The only way anyone will be resurrected into the New Covenant/Paradise/Heaven is to faithfully follow/observe Yahweh's Laws, Torah and Commands. There is absolutely no shortcuts or any other way. Take the murder, tare and false apostle Paul's heathen and pagan detestable teachings with a grain of salt.

Paul was known as Saul when he was a murderer. Saul became Paul after his conversion by Jesus Christ Himself. That is certainly a Good News to any murderer out there to know that Jesus can save even him from hell and damnation to have a reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ, and not through the Law. Since His teachings are higher than the works of the Law, it stands to reason that where man failed by the Law, God will succeed without the Law by helping believers who put their trust in Him as their Good Shepherd to help them to follow Him and abide in His words.

So are you going to out Peter as an accomplice to the murderer, Paul? Because Peter considered Paul's writings as the same as the rest of scripture.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

If not, then you best repent of that false teaching that Paul was a false apostle since Peter regards the writings of Paul as equal to scripture when Paul was led by the Holy Spirit to write those epistles.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I will shew thee my faith by my works.“ I've been in court so many times over the past couple of years that I know my way around a building that was once confusing. God has put enemies in my life that bear false witness. It hurts me and I want them to stop and for others to know none of it is true. I used to be a manipulative person and a fearful person. Sometimes, when He is not leading I still am. I'm certain the faith I have is His and comes from God and He is the supplier and builder and maintainer of that faith. It is not in me to "work" anything. Most of the time I don't even understand. Sometimes I still wake up with this gnawing in my stomach, in a panic on how "this is insane! I have to force something to happen. I have to do something to fix this." It is in me to want to "control" the circumstances around me. The show of my faith in Him is that I no longer have to control or manipulate anything to work in behalf. And here is my faith: Jesus stood before Pontius Pilate and didn't defend himself. He didn't manipulate the outcome. He didn't go around collecting evidence to prove His innocence. It is clear by the world that still mocks Him, "the world" has yet to see every knee bow and realize there is only One that has authority over all. The Son is still waiting to be declared or realized by all His enemies as the only authority that counts.

It has been written by Paul that if He was not resurrected, then their preaching would be in vain. So in that sense, Jesus proved Himself by His resurrection.

1 Corinthians 15:12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. 16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: 17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. 18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. 20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

It wasn't Pontius Pilate. For me, this shows the long-suffering of God that as we see in the other post here pertaining to Paul, it has yet to be seen "fully" that while yes Paul was a murderer...He was also chosen by God to declare God's mighty mercy to forgive.

Well due to an errant brother in this thread, we should be clear that when Paul was known as Saul, he was a murderer, but after his conversion in becoming a new creature in Christ, he became known as Paul, but other than that, I agree with your assessment.

My sister called the other night and was out of breath, sounding as if she was about to have a heart attack from stress. She said, "momma called and told me what is going on. You have to do something." The panic I sometimes feel was in her voice. I was given the opportunity to show my sister through peace that "God defends His." He has given me many opportunities to say the same to many others. This is the faith He has given me, that even though it makes absolutely no sense...I trust. I don't have to prove I'm innocent to anyone; my innocence rest in the Son. I don't understand how Jesus's enemies will ever know He wasn't guilty, since the Son never went around trying to prove it. I don't understand how I will ever prove anything without manipulation, or producing evidence or defending myself...but He says it is not necessary. My trust is in God's action, which when you think about it: action=acts. It is not in me to allow others to think the worst without a defense. But my defense is God.

God is our defense and He will help us in our defense when it is warranted.

The only defense required from us is to defend our faith in Him when so many things out there are leading believers astray from our faith in Him. That is considered as loving one another for abiding in Him as His disciples which we can only do by faith in Him in being our Good Shepherd to help us to do it.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave you a like, only because I can't give a Half like, you see I Agree with half of your Post!
Paul was an accomplice to the death of Steven, but was not a Murder, And if you can take what Paul stated about the Law, you can trace it back to the OT. Paul was the Perfect choice for a Apostle to the Gentiles, Paul studied under the Greatest Torah Teacher, according to Jewish Rabbi's to this day! The only real objection Paul had with the Pharisees, that had so called converted to the Way, was that they were trying to convince the Gentiles to be Circumcised According to the Covenant and Keep the added laws of the Pharisees!
You Shall Not Add to or Diminish from the Word of God!
1- Circumcision was a part of the Covenant that only had to do with the Land- the Gentiles will never need to be granted any part of the Land! In the End the Land will not be the Issue!
Question!
Are you aware that there are Two Torah's !!!
I hope for your response, so we can continue with the Half I do Agree with!

I hope I have shown with the Lord's help, the necessity to clarify that when Paul was Saul, he was a murderer, but after conversion, he became known as Paul as being a new creature in Christ Jesus and thus no longer Saul, the murderer. One should differentiate Paul from Saul's act of murders as not being Paul's since he did not murder any one when he became Paul when he was "born again of the Spirit".

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus knew that it would require churches (communities) for us to come out of the world as one. Those of the first church came together with one accord, in one mind to help one another forsake the world and live for Jesus. They all sold their possessions and put the money together collectively to make sure each one had food, water, clothing, shelter etc. And because their necessities were taken care of by the body they could live completely in the will of God. And the divine nature came upon them; they lived in the promise of health and healing, the promise of provision, the promise of power - all by the Holy Spirit that lived within them.

The churches today have abandoned their flocks. They leave us to fend for ourselves in the world, telling us that conforming to the world is acceptable. But it is not! A friend to the world is an enemy of God. We shouldn't live in the world and 'go to church', we should separate ourselves from the world and 'be the church'. We are supposed to be a brotherhood just like the first church.

Imagine if we all realised this and set our hearts on doing this. No more sickness, no more diseases, no more surgery or medication, no more slaving away for the necessities of life. Living completely for Jesus, in His divine nature - bringing lost souls into His kingdom through the signs and wonders done through us.

While I would agree with a lot of what you said, then there is some I wouldn’t agree with. Blaming the body for a lack of love being one.(maybe you didn’t but I just misread.)

Acts 11:27-29
[27] And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch. [28] And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth(famine) throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar. [29] Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:

Yes, while it seems that love has been smothered out, it is God that stirs up the people. Philippians 1:29-30
[29] For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; [30] Having the same conflict which ye saw in me, and now hear to be in me.

We speak of faith, but what about the faith that even though it may appear the church(the body) is lacking and hurting, God has equipped her for endurance.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the works are what we do to substantiate our faith. Peter believed he could walk on water but he had to prove his belief by doing something - stepping out of the boat.

Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1). Do we really live in this faith? I believe that unless we apply this faith to every area of our lives we can not be completely in the will of God. We may say to God, "I am ready to serve you Lord, use me to do your will". But are we really ready? Have we analysed all areas of our lives to see if there is anything we are 'doing' that contradicts the definition of faith.

Do you have a mortgage for example? Can you be a servant of God, as well as the bank? Can we serve two masters? Do we believe in God as our provider, yet make worldly covenants for security? We only demonstrate our lack of faith! "But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. But let your “Yes” be “Yes,” and your “No,” “No,” lest you fall into judgment." (James 5:12).

Jesus said that we must not seek to preserve our lives. By doing so, we no longer walk by faith but by sight; we no longer trust God for His unseen provision, but trust in the security we can see and have secured ourselves through covenants with the world. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. (Matthew 16:25).

Who do you feel you need to ''prove'' your faith to? If you are truly regenerated, then rest assure, Jesus already knows. Did Jesus not know whether or not Peter could walk on the water until AFTER He tried? And what about the part where he sinks, and Jesus has to yank him back up, and basically tells him he didn't have strong enough faith? Does this mean that he wasn't saved because he couldn't fully and truly prove his faith?

Reactions: Mayflower

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Good post. Welcome to the Forum.

welcome-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif