• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
(I really didn't aim to go down this road.)
If we are true to the gospel, 'this road' is inevitable.
KJV Psalms 19:7-11
7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

But... Wait... It's coming.... Waaiiit...:rolleyes:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi, Aunty!
wave.001.gif

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)​
@Qoheleth Interestingly, this verse's context is really about believers' communion with Christ, rather than an evangelistic appeal.......

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we are true to the gospel, 'this road' is inevitable.
KJV Psalms 19:7-11
7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

But... Wait... It's coming.... Waaiiit...:rolleyes:
I just meant in this particular thread and this early.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I just meant in this particular thread and this early.
Yeah, I know. And I'll take the blame for that in suggesting that the state of the dead and the Godhead controversies/errors/debates while important, paled into insignificance compared to the Sabbath question. A question not yet resolved as you said above. Sorry.:(

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
seems like just a diff kind of death to me,
How so?

and one that also violates There is only One Immortal and maybe some others
This is a point of interest for me actually, because I used to think that eternal life and immortality were one and the same thing. But Bible study has clarified that issue for me. They are not the same at all.

An immortal cannot die....it actually means 'possessing the power of an indestructible life'....'deathless'. But those granted unending life in Eden were 100 % mortal, yet there was no 'natural' cause of death ever mentioned.

Giving his free willed creatures immortality would have been foolish because it would have meant that even God could not destroy them if they decided of their own free will to go against his commands. But giving his creatures the means to gain everlasting life, meant that they had to obey God in all things.....the unending life offered to the humans, was therefore conditional.

Death was the penalty for disobedience, so they had to be mortal. They were not robots and could decide for themselves what to do in any given situation, but God made them aware of the consequences.
Imagine if all the evil men in existence down through time, were immortal....? :eek:

The "tree of life" in Eden was the means God gave the humans to live forever...they lost access to that means when they disobeyed their Sovereign and stole something that belonged to him. (Genesis 3:22-24)

In the beginning, when God was all alone and content in his own space, he was the only immortal in existence.....
So it isn't really "eternal" life that he offered to his creatures, but "everlasting" life, solely dependent on their obedience to his commands.

Learning to drive free will has taken a very long time for some to learn....the vast majority of humankind in existence will perish because they misused it and failed the test, just like the first two did. Jesus however was also a sinless man and he stood up to the devil's temptations proving that Adam and his wife could have done so as well. Their unfaithfulness got us into this mess, and faith in Christ's blood gets us out of it. What they lost for us....Jesus gets back for us.

it does seem inevitable that there are other habitable planets for us, ya. And im not seeing three score and ten as much more than a statement of what currently is, even considering the rest of the v
Just observing all the myriad lifeforms that already exist on planet Earth, we see that the creativity of God is boundless. Why would he not want to fill his Universe with many other lifeforms and have a whole Universe of beings to praise his efforts and enjoy his creation as much as he does? That is what "love" does....it is mutually shared between those who have affection for one another. Both God and his son have proven their love for us....we have to prove our love for them by complying with all of the requirements given to us.
Obedience is all God has ever asked of any of his intelligent creation.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi, Aunty!
wave.001.gif

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)​
Hey Qo.
hello

Since this is picturing the UN and we believe that this organization features strongly in the Revelation, and its relationship to world rulership, (1 John 5:19) the UN is the last place that I would imagine seeing Jesus go knocking.
no

Way back in 1953, only eight years after its rebirth, (formerly known as the League of Nations) Dag Hammarskjöld, then secretary-general of the UN, confessed: “Where our predecessors dreamed of a new heaven, our greatest hope is that we may be permitted to save the old earth.” Twenty-six years later, C. William Maynes, a United States assistant secretary of state, was forced to admit: “The main purpose of the Security Council and the General Assembly was the maintenance of international peace and security. . . . You have evidence that the organization has failed in its central purpose.”
It has failed because it does not have God's backing. Man-made kingdoms will never achieve what only God's Kingdom can accomplish.
It is the counterfeit Kingdom set up by the devil with a promise to bring "peace and security" to the earth....but, as history attests, it has failed utterly.

Its "peace-keeping" forces are armed to the teeth with tanks and guns....but Jesus said the "peacemakers" were the ones who followed his example.
The peace that comes from God does not need to be forced or threatened into compliance. It comes from a grateful heart. We make peace because we have laid down our carnal weapons, and replaced them with spiritual ones. (Isaiah 2:2-4)

Romans 12:17-21....
"Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good."

2 Corinthians 10:3-5.....
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things. 5 For we are overturning reasonings and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are bringing every thought into captivity to make it obedient to the Christ".

Spiritual warfare requires spiritual weapons....these are what are "powerful by God", able to "overturn strongly entrenched things", like nationalism and patriotism....both of which make it easy to emotionally justify bloodshed. (Isaiah 1:15)

Isn't this the path we see Christendom take?
What position do SDA's take in this regard? Will you take up military service and fight the "enemy" with carnal weapons? (Matthew 5:43-44)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, Aunty!
wave.001.gif

Hey Qo.
hello

Since this is picturing the UN and we believe that this organization features strongly in the Revelation, and its relationship to world rulership, (1 John 5:19) the UN is the last place that I would imagine seeing Jesus go knocking.
no

Way back in 1953, only eight years after its rebirth, (formerly known as the League of Nations) Dag Hammarskjöld, then secretary-general of the UN, confessed: “Where our predecessors dreamed of a new heaven, our greatest hope is that we may be permitted to save the old earth.” Twenty-six years later, C. William Maynes, a United States assistant secretary of state, was forced to admit: “The main purpose of the Security Council and the General Assembly was the maintenance of international peace and security. . . . You have evidence that the organization has failed in its central purpose.”
It has failed because it does not have God's backing. Man-made kingdoms will never achieve what only God's Kingdom can accomplish.
It is the counterfeit Kingdom set up by the devil with a promise to bring "peace and security" to the earth....but, as history attests, it has failed utterly.

Its "peace-keeping" forces are armed to the teeth with tanks and guns....but Jesus said the "peacemakers" were the ones who followed his example.
The peace that comes from God does not need to be forced or threatened into compliance. It comes from a grateful heart. We make peace because we have laid down our carnal weapons, and replaced them with spiritual ones. (Isaiah 2:2-4)

Romans 12:17-21....
"Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good."

2 Corinthians 10:3-5.....
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things. 5 For we are overturning reasonings and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are bringing every thought into captivity to make it obedient to the Christ".

Spiritual warfare requires spiritual weapons....these are what are "powerful by God", able to "overturn strongly entrenched things", like nationalism and patriotism....both of which make it easy to emotionally justify bloodshed. (Isaiah 1:15)

Isn't this the path we see Christendom take?
What position do SDA's take in this regard? Will you take up military service and fight the "enemy" with carnal weapons? (Matthew 5:43-44)
I'll answer backwards like a Hebrew. Not something I like to talk about, since it stirs up political dust within my own denomination, but as I would not take up arms against other men, I also would not hesitate to serve in some other non-combatancy capacity as a draftee. I doubt I would be called to become a hero as was my brother Desmond Doss (I was casually acquainted with him 30 years ago). The point is mostly moot, anyway, at my age. I did do a 4-year hitch in the U.S. Air Force long before I became an Seventh-day Adventist. Adventism has historically been identified with non-combatancy but, unfortunately (as is the case with too many other issues), the tide of sympathy has turned toward more mainstream evangelical thought. During the last 20 years, many more prayers have gone up for military troops than for missionaries.

The painting by prolific Adventist artist Harry Anderson called "Prince Of Peace" was finished before the UN had the reputation and criticism it 'enjoys' today and the building was used merely as a symbol of the many peoples of the world. The image was intended to convey the Savior knocking on the doors of hearts the world over, no more, no less. The ideal role of Adventism in politics was traditionally limited to cooperation with humanitarian efforts and the private exercise of voting according to ones own (hopefully sanctified) conscience. That, too, has changed.

Liberty of the individual conscience has been prized to an extraordinary degree in the Adventist church/culture, and millions of dollars have been expended toward this aim, but the love of many having waxed colder and colder has made this pursuit increasingly challenging. We have been warned that the Adventist church will actually appear as though about to fall near the very end of time which is hard for many to imagine with the membership rolls increasing faster than in any other non-Catholic Christian denomination in the world. We have an organized presence in 202 of 232 nations, a new believer in the Everlasting Gospel and the 3 angels' messages of Revelation 14 is baptized every 25 seconds, and a new church building goes up every 2 hours and 20 minutes.

If this sounds impressive, it probably shouldn't. It merely means that we're keeping the outside of the cup pretty clean. The leadership is aware of this and they try to encourage people to seek revival and reformation as best they can. And it is right to do so, but we also know that when the fiery trial of the 3rd angel's message fully comes, as many as 95% of our brethren will go out from us and be replaced with countless numbers of God's people from every nation, tribe, kindred, tongue and people of the earth. They will see the trampling of liberty of conscience and mark it as being not from God.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I know. And I'll take the blame for that in suggesting that the state of the dead and the Godhead controversies/errors/debates while important, paled into insignificance compared to the Sabbath question. A question not yet resolved as you said above. Sorry.:(
No worries, mate. :)

Don't give it another thought.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
no children, just a bunch of pious old farts sitting around getting older? i mean id pass
What they lost for us....Jesus gets back for us
well, i would say keep an open mind there eh? And be prepared for that to not happen the way you imagine
Just observing all the myriad lifeforms that already exist on planet Earth, we see that the creativity of God is boundless. Why would he not want to fill his Universe with many other lifeforms and have a whole Universe of beings to praise his efforts and enjoy his creation as much as he does?
i could think of a couple reasons, but idk. I am persuaded of the possibility of ET, mostly bc Carter claims to have seen one, but given our nature it strikes me as a recipe for disaster :)

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not something I like to talk about, since it stirs up political dust within my own denomination, but as I would not take up arms against other men, I also would not hesitate to serve in some other non-combatancy capacity as a draftee.
Why is there political dust in your church? I would be alarmed if such “dust” was floating about in my brotherhood. (1 Corinthians 1:10) We will not serve even in non-combatant roles if it supports the war effort. Our support even in that capacity would be seen as complicity. That is why you will find JW’s in jail for conscious objection....we will not compromise on neutrality.

Adventism has historically been identified with non-combatancy but, unfortunately (as is the case with too many other issues), the tide of sympathy has turned toward more mainstream evangelical thought. During the last 20 years, many more prayers have gone up for military troops than for missionaries.
Responding to political propaganda as well as to strong patriotic indoctrination from childhood, often results in emotionally created ‘strings’ that pull the heart towards patriotism, which in many nations is as strong, or stronger than any emotional ties to God or his Christ. It creates a dividing of loyalties, (just as it did with Adam in the garden of Eden). If our loyalty to God is weakened by our loyalty to our nation, (or to our family members) we will most often follow the strongest emotion.

We cannot “return evil for evil”, (Romans 12:17-21) so military service would be unthinkable for those taught by Jesus to ‘love their enemies and to pray for our persecutors’. (Matthew 5:43-44) For us there is no question. We are not anti-government, but we will not break God’s law to obey man’s law. (Acts 5:29) God does not sanction man’s bloodshed. (Isaiah 1:15)

The image was intended to convey the Savior knocking on the doors of hearts the world over, no more, no less. The ideal role of Adventism in politics was traditionally limited to cooperation with humanitarian efforts and the private exercise of voting according to ones own (hopefully sanctified) conscience. That, too, has changed.
We will not vote. To support the world’s political efforts is to support the power behind them. (1 John 5:19) If we supported one political party over another, then we would be held accountable for what they did with the power we helped to give them. Giving them our consent makes us guilty by association. (Romans 1:28-32)

Liberty of the individual conscience has been prized to an extraordinary degree in the Adventist church/culture, and millions of dollars have been expended toward this aim, but the love of many having waxed colder and colder has made this pursuit increasingly challenging. We have been warned that the Adventist church will actually appear as though about to fall near the very end of time
The Bible warns that “Babylon the great” will suffer destruction before “the end” comes. (Revelation 18:4-9; 20-21) God will put it into the hearts of her immoral political partners to completely devastate her, even against their own interests.
To be ‘friends with the world, is to be at enmity with God’ (James 4:4) so Babylon the great feels secure in her relations with satan’s world.....but without warning, she will be utterly destroyed....never to be seen again. (Revelation 18:21)

What is “Babylon the great” to SDA’s? How do you see that part of the prophesy?

It merely means that we're keeping the outside of the cup pretty clean. The leadership is aware of this and they try to encourage people to seek revival and reformation as best they can.
Wow...is this not a directive from the leadership down? God’s people have always had spiritual shepherds, appointed to guide and take care of the flock in their care. (Hebrews 13:17) If only the outside of the cup is clean, how does that make Adventists any better than the Pharisees?

Shepherds were to keep the congregations clean, both spiritually and morally, so that all knew what was expected of them. Compliance was not just hoped for, but expected because everyone was to be on the same page. Where there is disunity, God’s spirit cannot exist. The Holy Spirit unites those inside the congregation, whilst God deals with those in disunity outside in the world. (1 Corinthians 5:9-13)

And it is right to do so, but we also know that when the fiery trial of the 3rd angel's message fully comes, as many as 95% of our brethren will go out from us and be replaced with countless numbers of God's people from every nation, tribe, kindred, tongue and people of the earth. They will see the trampling of liberty of conscience and mark it as being not from God.
There is a reason why “few” are on the road to life...when the crunch comes, and we are all standing before the same judge, he will not look at the label we wear....he will judge by what we accepted in our hearts as truth. As these last days progress, many thousands of people are being gathered from all nations as “the good news of the kingdom” is preached in every land. (Matthew 24:14) This is the testimony that separates the sheep from the goats.....when Jesus arrives as judge, we will have already made our decisions and our destiny will be set.
“Many” who think that their “Christianity” is true, will find out to their horror that Jesus “never knew” them. (Matthew 7:21-23) This is the stark reality....because God is carefully choosing the citizens that he will welcome into his Kingdom.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To get as close you can to the truth, is to read the bible (even going far as to check out hebrew and greek and what words meant to them).

Truth is that God desires a relationship with all people - He sent his Son in order to reconcile everything back to the nature that it once was, in the ability to have direct connection with God, through the holy spirit and the spirit of Christ.

Jesus is the only answer from what I can tell in this world.

Now when it comes to more defined truths, such as a certain topic that also comes from reading and looking at the bible.

Marriage - is a ceremony - when two become one flesh. (It is not material wedding in which is supposed to be ordained by a priest or a minister) So Sex, is some that should be taught however, the template in which God had set everything up is for male and female to become one, and bond together. God loves when people are able to join together in this ceremony (which was done at the first time of having sex with someone), so many of us have probably been married and divorced, not really understand that until one comes to the truth of, so this is how God sees marriage, now it makes sense for it is the truth.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
no children, just a bunch of pious old farts sitting around getting older? i mean id pass
I have no idea what gives you that awful picture....but go back to Eden and see what future God offered to his human creation. There was no natural cause of death in Eden, which means that ageing and sickness would not have taken place. It only came into the sphere of human existence with the advent of sin. Sinless beings are not subject to ageing, sickness or death.

So replace that sad picture with those who enjoy perpetual youth and a body that is able to take on any assigned task. We were to transform the whole earth into a park-like garden, which is what “paradise” means. Imagine what it would mean to be able to have everlasting life in perfect health to explore all the wonders of creation and to have the mental capacity to take in endless knowledge. Life would be a never ending journey of discovery. Some spend an entire lifetime studying just one species of plants or animals or insects.....how many species are there to explore, do you think?

Does enjoying God’s creation conjure up scenes of unhappiness? Our limitations now are all the product of sin......imagine what life would be like with perfection of mind, body and spirit, with something new to do or explore, every blessed day.....we don’t have to go to heaven to achieve that.

well, i would say keep an open mind there eh? And be prepared for that to not happen the way you imagine
My heart fully identifies with God’s original purpose for humankind. He did not create us for this life, we all know that because tragedy, pain and suffering are never readily accepted as “normal” to anyone. We identify with paradise because that is where God ‘programmed’ us to live. Death was never supposed to happen, and even though we all die, it never feels right.....we never lose loved ones without grief. Who, in good health, wants to die? We are programmed to go on living. Age is a state of body, not a state of mind. Many old people are still young inside. If you could give them a new body, they would be happy to go on living forever. We were never meant to age.

i could think of a couple reasons, but idk. I am persuaded of the possibility of ET, mostly bc Carter claims to have seen one, but given our nature it strikes me as a recipe for disaster :)
When you think about it....what is an “extra terrestrial”? That simply means “not from this earth”....so with that definition, the angels qualify as extra-terrestrials. We have never been alone in the Universe.
We have had visitations from extra terrestrials since our beginnings. Think about it....

But as far as material creation is concerned, I believe this planet is a proving ground where all the ‘bugs’ get sorted out...a prototype if you will, so that any other “life” that God wants to distribute anywhere in the universe, the same rules will apply to all who are brought into existence by him. All the precedents are set so that no rebellion will ever take place again. Not that it means no rebel will ever try to misuse their free will, but there will be no basis for them to keep living and to spoil the paradise conditions for any others. This guarantees that paradise will always be a joyous place to live...in true peace and harmony.

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But, most importantly of all, it testifies of Him Who is fairest among ten thousand, One altogether lovely, the Rose of Sharon, the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world, the One in Whom the Father’s soul delights, the One Whose yoke is easy and Whose burden is light, the One Who gives rest to all who come to Him, the High Priest touched with the feeling of our infirmities, the One with Whom we are seated in heavenly places, the One Who overcame the world, laid down His life of Himself that He might take it up again, so that we might live as He lives, die to self, and be raised to newness of life everlasting, but also more abundantly even in the here and now.

This is beautiful!

Pax et Bonum

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how can we have eternal life in Christ without an immortal soul?

Immortality is a gift.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
It does not say that we are immortal. It says immortality is a gift to those who believe. That is how we have eternal life in Christ.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wave.001.gif

Wow...is this not a directive from the leadership down? God’s people have always had spiritual shepherds, appointed to guide and take care of the flock in their care. (Hebrews 13:17) If only the outside of the cup is clean, how does that make Adventist any better than the Pharisees?

Shepherds were to keep the congregations clean, both spiritually and morally, so that all knew what was expected of them. Compliance was not just hoped for, but expected because everyone was to be on the same page. Where there is disunity, God’s spirit cannot exist. The Holy Spirit unites those inside the congregation, whilst God deals with those in disunity outside in the world. (1 Corinthians 5:9-13)
We read the Bible as though certain parts do not apply to us—that we have certain things covered or under control.

Any appearance of purity in a denomination is an illusion. Men cannot keep other men clean. Religious liberty precludes it. Church discipline is and should be administered in the Adventist church. But we are all like the Pharisees. Were they not of the opinion that they were keeping themselves clean? To say we are not like them is to prove that we are.

"The Witness/Adventist stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—Pharisees,..."

It just doesn't work, Aunty.

None are fully consecrated. We do not hunger and thirst after righteousness, that we might be filled.

We are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
(Isaiah 64:6)

It's just another biblical paradox that we must wrap our heads around if we would be like Jesus.

We have His righteousness through the baptism of the Spirit; yet we are always getting our feet dirty and need them washed again.

It's not a matter of whether or not we are lukewarm, wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked, but in what manner, to what extent, and what is being done to promote revival and reformation.

Men will not have Jesus to rule over them in every particular. The sooner we realize it, the sooner we can get down to the business of pleading as the woman to the unjust judge, who prevailed by her persistence:

Luke 18
1Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, 2saying: “There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. 3Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ 4And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, 5yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’ ”

6Then the Lord said, “Hear what the unjust judge said. 7And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? 8I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”

I know this is a bit disheveled for a deserved reply, but it's been a rough day and I'm all in. More, maybe tomorrow?

I will say that to a very great extent, your last post was 'preaching to the choir,' so to speak.

But the Adventist church was never meant to be governed by 'directive from the leadership down.' The church was never meant to be governed at all. It is organized for work and administered with due consideration given to discipline. Every effort is made to encourage and help people to make the right decisions, but individual religious liberty is a line we won't cross. Non-combatancy, I believe, has never been a test of fellowship.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We cannot “return evil for evil”, (Romans 12:17-21) so military service would be unthinkable for those taught by Jesus to ‘love their enemies and to pray for our persecutors’. (Matthew 5:43-44) For us there is no question. We are not anti-government, but we will not break God’s law to obey man’s law. (Acts 5:29) God does not sanction man’s bloodshed. (Isaiah 1:15)
lol....yet you are quiet willing to out me because I hold a different view to you.....and call you on your stuff.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To get as close you can to the truth, is to read the bible (even going far as to check out hebrew and greek and what words meant to them).
Good advice there Matthew. Original language word studies clarify many things that can get muddled in translation. It always pays to check.

Truth is that God desires a relationship with all people - He sent his Son in order to reconcile everything back to the nature that it once was, in the ability to have direct connection with God, through the holy spirit and the spirit of Christ.

Jesus is the only answer from what I can tell in this world.
Jesus is the answer to everything.....without Jesus, getting back to the original purpose of God, could not have come about.
According to scripture, creation was made "through him, and for him" (Colossians 1:15-17) meaning that creation came "through" the son, but not "from" him. IOW, Jesus is not the Creator, but the agency through whom it was all fabricated, using the raw materials that Jehovah brought in to existence "in the beginning". If it was made "for him" then, was it a gift from Father to son to have his own project to oversee? God and his son love the earthly creation so much that they were both willing to make sacrifices to see it through to its rightful conclusion. All will return to the way it was meant to be at the beginning. Paradise will be returned to the human race as God intended. When God's Kingdom "comes" there will be no more pain or suffering, and no more death. (Revelation 21:2-4) God's will can then be "done on earth as it is in heaven".

Now when it comes to more defined truths, such as a certain topic that also comes from reading and looking at the bible.

Marriage - is a ceremony - when two become one flesh. (It is not material wedding in which is supposed to be ordained by a priest or a minister) So Sex, is some that should be taught however, the template in which God had set everything up is for male and female to become one, and bond together. God loves when people are able to join together in this ceremony (which was done at the first time of having sex with someone), so many of us have probably been married and divorced, not really understand that until one comes to the truth of, so this is how God sees marriage, now it makes sense for it is the truth.
Marriage is the God sanctioned union of two individuals, ideally committed to God and to each other.....a man and his wife, whose love will produce children, raised in a family where they are loved and cherished....this is the purpose of sex.....children should not be an unwanted side effect of one's sex life.

God made marriage to be a lifelong commitment....in fact the only two ways to dissolve a marriage scripturally, is adultery or death.
Divorce on any ground apart from unfaithfulness of a mate, makes one guilty of adultery if they wish to marry again.

Those who have fallen 'out of love' for their marriage mate try to grab hold of whatever legal grounds they can to break the marriage tie, such as mental cruelty, refusal of conjugal rights, drunkenness, insanity, desertion or abandonment, incompatibility, change of one’s religion, and so on, besides adultery. But are all these legal grounds Scripturally right, valid for the Christian?

The Jewish Pharisees once tested Jesus with this question: “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife on every kind of grounds?” Jesus did not answer by referring to Caesar’s laws concerning divorce, but referred to his Father's law. He said: "Did you not read that he who created them at the beginning made them male and female and said: “For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh”? So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart."

I know this subject will make some people uncomfortable, but the truth does that sometimes....you cannot run away from it.

Reactions: MatthewG

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rest up and talk some more tomorrow....

We read the Bible as though certain parts do not apply to us—that we have certain things covered or under control.
Every part applies to us, otherwise what is the point of it? If we are not comparing ourselves to the first century model in all things, (both good and bad) we are certainly not near Christ at all. Why was it written if not to keep comparing to test whether we are following Christ to the letter or not?
2 Corinthians 13:5, 11...
"Keep testing whether you are in the faith; keep proving what you yourselves are. Or do you not recognize that Jesus Christ is in union with you? Unless you are disapproved. . . . .Finally, brothers, continue to rejoice, to be readjusted, to be comforted, to think in agreement, to live peaceably; and the God of love and of peace will be with you."
These are words from the elect, to the elect, who have to keep testing themselves, and proving themselves, because their heavenly reward depends on it.
Christian conduct is clearly set out in the scriptures.....we are either living up to Christ's teachings, or we aren't...elect, or not. It is a daily battle as Paul said....so who do we blame, if we aren't? No one is perfect and no one can do all things perfectly....but God knows if what we offer him is our best. He gave us his best, so we are under obligation to give him our best as well.

Any appearance of purity in a denomination is an illusion. Men cannot keep other men clean. Religious liberty precludes it. Church discipline is and should be administered in the Adventist church. But we are all like the Pharisees. Were they not of the opinion that they were keeping themselves clean? To say we are not like them is to prove that we are.
What is "religious liberty"? Can you define that...?
Imperfection and sin cannot produce 'purity'....at best, all we can offer is what God requires of us. Are we in some doubt about what that should be? I do not believe that God sees our "denomination" as such, because claiming to be a "Christians" doesn't make you one. (Matthew 7:21-23)

God sees our obedience to his commands and compliance with the teachings of the son he sent to redeem and instruct us. He doesn't want mere performance.....all he wants is our compliance without complaint....and that from the heart....

It is not the elders' job to be the spiritual police, but discipline was necessary in the first century for clear breaches of Christian teachings, and it is just as necessary in this time of the end. (1 Corinthians 5:9-13) Religious liberty cannot mean "believe and do whatever you wish".

Hebrews 12:5-7, 11...
"And you have entirely forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not belittle the discipline from Jehovah, nor give up when you are corrected by him; 6 for those whom Jehovah loves he disciplines, in fact, he scourges everyone whom he receives as a son. . . . .True, no discipline seems for the present to be joyous, but it is painful; yet afterward, it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.”

1 John 5:2-4....
"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and carry out his commandments. 3 For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome, 4 because everyone who has been born from God conquers the world. And this is the conquest that has conquered the world, our faith."

"The Witness/Adventist stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—Pharisees,..."

It just doesn't work, Aunty.

None are fully consecrated. We do not hunger and thirst after righteousness, that we might be filled.
Speak for yourself :p....God's elect have standards to follow and it is God who "fills" them with his spirit. He doesn't expect perfection because sin will not allow for that, but it doesn't mean that they, or we, stop trying.

It's just another biblical paradox that we must wrap our heads around if we would be like Jesus.
I see no paradox.....conforming to the standards set out in the scriptures is all that is asked of us, whether we are heaven bound or part of the "new earth". We are the drivers of our own life. We hand the reigns only to God, not sin. Yet, if we do fall, we can get back up again, confident that if we are truly repentant, Christ's blood provides forgiveness.

It's not a matter of whether or not we are lukewarm, wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked, but in what manner, to what extent, and what is being done to promote revival and reformation.

Men will not have Jesus to rule over them in every particular. The sooner we realize it, the sooner we can get down to the business of pleading as the woman to the unjust judge, who prevailed by her persistence:
Sorry but you lost me on this one....I don't think I got out of that parable what you did....
unsure

the Adventist church was never meant to be governed by 'directive from the leadership down.' The church was never meant to be governed at all. It is organized for work and administered with due consideration given to discipline. Every effort is made to encourage and help people to make the right decisions, but individual religious liberty is a line we won't cross.
As above, you will have to define what that means....."individual religious liberty". Where will I find Jesus advocating that?
dunno

Non-combatancy, I believe, has never been a test of fellowship.
I don't remember saying it was.... but if you join the military or support politically motivated bloodshed, its a test of one's "Christianity" IMO.
How can you be "no part of the world" if you are up to your neck in its political agendas?

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnPaul