A real Christian ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely! A person could read only the OTand never gain salvation. It can't be attained. However a person could receive salvation having never opened the OT at all.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
If you're stating can one be a Christian and yet discredit the Penteceach or however you spell it, :p then my answer would be, "No."

Once you remove ANY book in the Bible, you have just thrown a shadow over the authenticity of it all. If the books of Moses are flawed, what about the rest of the Bible? You can't remove anything from the Bible without serious ramifications.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I got saved because I knew that God was real based on personal experiences. Then a little further down the track someone told me what Jesus did for me on the cross and I believed them. I became familiar with the bible later on in my walk not before I accepted Jesus into my life. :)

Shalom!!!

winc

Jul 25, 2012
UK/England
so are we to ignore what Jesus said and rely on what humans think and say ad infinitum and ad absurdum - winc

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
so are we to ignore what Jesus said and rely on what humans think and say ad infinitum and ad absurdum - winc

Ummm, I've got no idea what you're trying to spark here, but Jesus himself was FULFILLING the Prophets! All throughout the books of Moses were typologies that pointed to Jesus, from the set-up of the tabernacle, to the very items inside it. They all pointed to Jesus and his fulfilment of the law.

In a direct answer, definitely not. We LIVE by the Bible. Not human opinion.

winc

Jul 25, 2012
UK/England
Ummm, I've got no idea what you're trying to spark here, but Jesus himself was FULFILLING the Prophets! All throughout the books of Moses were typologies that pointed to Jesus, from the set-up of the tabernacle, to the very items inside it. They all pointed to Jesus and his fulfilment of the law.

In a direct answer, definitely not. We LIVE by the Bible. Not human opinion.

see Jn.5 : 46-47 - winc

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with BigAndy.

I understand that people can be saved without knowing anything about Moses, but if you have read his witness and deny it - you are denying Christ.

Reactions: day

winc

Jul 25, 2012
UK/England
And I agree with BigAndy and aspen2.

Of course, otherwise one is not in reality.

it seems you do not understand like most Catholics I have known - who only ever had a slight interest in the Bible and reading it was even banned and it was on the index and this was later followed by an interest in the NT only - winc

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it seems you do not understand like most Catholics I have known - who only ever had a slight interest in the Bible and reading it was even banned and it was on the index and this was later followed by an interest in the NT only - winc

I see how it is.....

You have already answered your own question in the OP........and anyone who disagrees with your unstated answer is 'just like the catholics' you know who hate the Bible....

how clever and mysterious!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
A friend of mine made an interesting point.

He said that Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, but Moses' death is also documented in the first five books.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Arn, that is not the question asked though. Can a person who does not believe or rejects Moses be a Christian. By default the question assumes the person in question HAS knowledge of Moses... how else can Moses be rejected if not first read?

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Can anyone be a Christian if they do not believe and/or accept what Moses wrote ?

If a person knows what Moses wrote, well enough to reject it, then they are rejecting many important prophetic words. There are many which refer to Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ Himself referred to Moses.

So, if a believer is intends to exercise intellectual integrity towards all the teachings of Jesus Christ, no matter what he thought of Moses before he became a Christian (or since), he has to acknowledge that Moses not only recorded the historical narrative which he had received, which contained indications of who the Messiah would be, but also prophesied Christ, himself. Peter refers to this in very strong terms.

Acts 3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 23 And it shall come to pass, [that] every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. [Deu 18:18, 19]

The other point which Peter brings to the fore, is that 'the promise' - which Christians must come to understand - was made to Abraham. No matter a person's ethnic origin, the promise of God to Abraham which was fulfilled through Jesus Christ, is key to understanding how and why salvation was ever extended beyond Israelites to include Gentiles.

Lastly, there was no New Testament - except in the blood of Christ - when the first apostles were preaching the gospel. They only had Moses, the prophets and the other historical books, which had preserved their record of how to recognise the Messiah when He arrived, and the many promises of the Holy Spirit and eternal life.

If you don't accept their testimony, how do you know that the Jesus you believe in - and hopefully have a relationship with which accords with the testimony of apostles - is the same Jesus as theirs?

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can anyone be a Christian if they do not believe and/or accept what Moses wrote ? -winc
winc

the answer is yes according to God's word. there is only one way to get salvation and that is to believe and call upon the name of the Lord. if you can do these 2 things then you will be saved. the bible does not teach that you must know and believe the bible is true to be saved. many people preaching the gospel in africa do not even have a bible or any teaching but what they themselves heard from another. yet they are being saved by the millions.

what a lot of others here are referring to is getting the promises of God. but that is another lesson in and of itself.

God bless

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Arn, that is not the question asked though. Can a person who does not believe or rejects Moses be a Christian. By default the question assumes the person in question HAS knowledge of Moses... how else can Moses be rejected if not first read?

Instead of assuming Andy, ask Winc...He asked it.
I reject the Book of Mormon and the Satanic Bible and trust me I have never read them.
Cursory knowledge means very little.

If a person knows what Moses wrote, well enough to reject it, then they are rejecting many important prophetic words. There are many which refer to Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ Himself referred to Moses.
So, if a believer is intends to exercise intellectual integrity towards all the teachings of Jesus Christ, no matter what he thought of Moses before he became a Christian (or since), he has to acknowledge that Moses not only recorded the historical narrative which he had received, which contained indications of who the Messiah would be, but also prophesied Christ, himself. Peter refers to this in very strong terms.

The OP was about a person entering into a belief of Jesus, not someone who has been saved and gets to KNOW the Bible. New believers will eventually read God's Word and begin to know Moses was real and accept Him. Just as they learn to accept ALL the Bible.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Stan,

If the question had been about becoming a Christian without knowing Moses' writings, then I would have said 'Of course it is', but I read the OP differently -

'Can anyone be a Christian if they do not believe and/or accept what Moses wrote ?'

I think it was biggandyy who pointed out that in order to reject Moses, a person would have to know what he'd written. In that light, I don't think it's either spiritually or intellectually sound..... for a professing Christian.