Apostolic councils?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I have clearly emphasized that I do not hold to any denomination or church as my sole authority. No indoctrination over here, that's why I am adamantly non-denominational - no name, comes before Jesus' name.
You don’t trust the men of a denomination but you trust YOU??? If there were 500 men that led a denomination that all agree on an interpretation of Scripture that leads to their doctrine they are all wrong if YOU say they are wrong??? Fascinating....

There is a man that comes before Jesus name....That man is DNB!!! Everyone comes in second.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So let me see if I have got your theory correct.

I can believe/practice the truth that I want to believe and practice (like you do) as long as I am not indoctrinated into some denomination BUT if I find a denomination that believes and practices what I believe to be the truth I can’t do that? I have to be my own sole authority??

I can’t find that teaching in Scripture. Can you point it out to me?
Yes, it is in the Book of DNB 1:1

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lol....and there is no reasoning behind the theories you have put forth. You have yet to show me in Scripture where it says that each individual Christian for the last 2,000 years can “rightly divide the truth”. Ya’ know why you can’t show me? Because it’s not in Scripture.

I agree....no one (man) can be trusted. Scripture makes that clear.

So why do you trust yourself?
Because God expects that from me - I was created in His image.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You don’t trust the men of a denomination but you trust YOU??? If there were 500 men that led a denomination that all agree on an interpretation of Scripture that leads to their doctrine they are all wrong if YOU say they are wrong??? Fascinating....

There is a man that comes before Jesus name....That man is DNB!!! Everyone comes in second.
You don't understand what I'm saying.
Go your way, Mary. Your a Catholic, and you will have that title on your head on Judgment Day, and then you will pressed to explain how infallible you feel that your 'God ordained Church' was. And before you know it, God will hold YOU accountable for every word that proceeds from your mouth, in your defense of them. Now Mary, tell me, is not every man on his own?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, you Catholics are easily just as nasty as the meanest Protestants on here. I am glad that the admin is tolerant, perhaps you should be too, since we are still allowed to be here
Coming from a guy who doesn't have the first clue as to what a Catholic is . . .

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't understand what I'm saying.
Go your way, Mary. Your a Catholic, and you will have that title on your head on Judgment Day, and then you will pressed to explain how infallible you feel that your 'God ordained Church' was. And before you know it, God will hold YOU accountable for every word that proceeds from your mouth, in your defense of them. Now Mary, tell me, is not every man on his own?
I am being pressed to explain how infallible you feel YOU are.

I have never claimed to be infallible. But you don't understand what I am saying. The pillar and foundation of truth is infallible...remember that part?

Thanks for the laughs...gotta go....Mary

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You believe you are the pillar and foundation of
you cannot help yourself.
Right here is another straw man. It's so easy to criticise and debate against people who believe they are the source of truth isn't it. Except there's no-one here to my knowledge that actually believes that. Certainly not me. Those people you keep telling us that believe they themselves are the source of truth are figments of your imagination.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you cannot help yourself.
Right here is another straw man. It's so easy to criticise and debate against people who believe they are the source of truth isn't it. Except there's no-one here to my knowledge that actually believes that. Certainly not me. Those people you keep telling us that believe they themselves are the source of truth are figments of your imagination.
And you can’t help yourself from dodging legitimate questions. Why did You CUT OUT this part:

Sooooooo instead of being a troll how about if you either defeat my posts (statements) with logic OR with Scripture?

Let’s start with the 8th quote in your post: Why do you follow the men that taught you that?

You know why I follow the men that I follow. Soooooo why do you follow your men Backlit???

Or another way to ask it: Why are the men you follow right and the men I follow wrong???

In summary: WHO DO YOU Backlit GO TO FOR THE TRUTH or PROPER INTERPRETATION OF SCRIPTURE???

Patient Mary

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why do you follow the men that taught you that?
Mary. You aren't listening. That's another straw man. Yep, of I was blindly following man's teaching then your accusations against me would have substance. But you've changed the whole debate. It isn't about me. And it isn't about my teachers. It's a truth. And that quote of yours above was in a conversation you were having with DNB. Altering the direction of the conversation from what DNB was actually discussing to a random challenge against what you imagine are his "teachers"... Something only you and other Catholics uphold as a principle as per the magisterium. Protestants, and you know this, teach scripture. You have the opportunity to argue against that concept by
A. Teaching scripture that refutes the Protestant argument ( and that's why you are here right?) or
B. Prove that those traditions of Catholicism that contradict scripture come from God.
By claiming a verse of scripture applies to the Catholic Church unconditionally: claiming the "truth" it teaches must be truth because Jesus promised to be the guide to all truth for His church, totally ignores the fact that there are Catholic teachings which are diametrically opposed to scripture, and others which have no basis in scripture whatsoever without assumptions and much conjecture. Jesus told us how to judge whether teachers or prophets were telling the truth. Fruit. It isn't a surprise that Catholic apologists have scrambled to hide, confuse, and change history altogether to justify their grasping for authority and power.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary. You aren't listening. That's another straw man. Yep, of I was blindly following man's teaching then your accusations against me would have substance. But you've changed the whole debate. It isn't about me..
It is about you following man's teaching since you follow your teaching and no one elses....Are you not a man?

You follow your teaching I follow the 2,000 year teaching of the men of The Church. You have your man (singular) I have my men (plural).

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
totally ignores the fact that there are Catholic teachings which are diametrically opposed to scripture, ....
Says who??? You??? A fallible man!!! And YOUR teachings are not diametrically opposed to Scripture???? How confident are you about that?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Says who??? You??? A fallible man!!! And YOUR teachings are not diametrically opposed to Scripture???? How confident are you about that?
I am 100% confident. If I am not confident in what I believe on a particular topic, I don't teach it and am honest as to why. As for Catholic doctrines opposed to scripture, i can point out one very obvious one that even Catholics freely admit to. Sunday sacredness. Your church boasts of its own authority to do away with even a commandment of God. Boasts that she has changed one of God's laws. Based on her claim to have been given such authority. But we know where that authority came from.
Revelation 13:2. And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Marymog Why would we trust that God unconditionally promised His church and its fraudulently convened councils to be the foundation of truth when that same church spent centuries justifying its own greed, covetousness and political ambitions based on a forgery? (The Donation of Constantine). Even after it was proved a forgery, popes used it to formulate policy and justify war.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am 100% confident. If I am not confident in what I believe on a particular topic, I don't teach it and am honest as to why. As for Catholic doctrines opposed to scripture, i can point out one very obvious one that even Catholics freely admit to. Sunday sacredness. Your church boasts of its own authority to do away with even a commandment of God. Boasts that she has changed one of God's laws. Based on her claim to have been given such authority. But we know where that authority came from.
Revelation 13:2. And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
Your 100% confident but your not confident???o_O

The Church did away with a commandment of God???o_O

Oh goodness......I can’t do this anymore!!

Thank you for your time....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Marymog Why would we trust that God unconditionally promised His church and its fraudulently convened councils to be the foundation of truth when that same church spent centuries justifying its own greed, covetousness and political ambitions based on a forgery? (The Donation of Constantine). Even after it was proved a forgery, popes used it to formulate policy and justify war.
Backlit,

If the Catholic Church is not The Church spoken of in Scripture then which Church is The Church?

Curious Mary

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Backlit,

If the Catholic Church is not The Church spoken of in Scripture then which Church is The Church?

Curious Mary
Whichever individual or group that continued in the faith throughout history and didn't apostatize. And there were many, all of whom refused to accept the traditions and innovations of Rome. Do you understand that the true church was always the church in the wilderness, not the state sanctioned persecuting church of the empire,?

KJV Revelation 12:6, 13-14, 17
6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.
14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.