Are there applicable, realistic scriptures for emotional breakdowns?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well that is hopeful because i have suspected pmdd in the past but haven tthought about it too much lol. it wont be very long til im that age.

you have good insight. but it is hard when these people are supposed to love you the most and you have a natural love for them <3

It is :) I understand what you're saying.

If you suspect PMDD, the biggest thing that helped me realize it was they said it lasts about two weeks from around day 15 to the beginning of the next. Then like the first day of THAT day, it's like a weight is lifted off your shoulders and you can feel normal.

But the two weeks before that are filled with extreme fatigue, serious depression, and suicidal thoughts can be part of that. It's worth talking about because the rate of suicide attempts with women who have PMDD is like 15%. (That's like 1 out of 7.) So I'm a firm believer that if you think you have it, it's worth talking to your doctor about because you don't *HAVE* to suffer half of the month to that extreme- and it is extreme.

I didn't really have it in my 20s, but it gets worse during perimenopause. I take EPO for those 15 days and that makes me 80% better, but next time I'm going to try 5-HTP too. :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been fine, but somehow I did that thing where you leave a pot on the back stove until it boils over, but emotionally. So I had somehow triggered myself. (This is like when a pet passed away when I was a kid and my mom said I showed no emotion until months later and woke up screaming.)

So I ended up with the screaming-in-the-pillow-and-almost-throwing-up crying where you're just not going to have a very productive day AT ALL.

Sometimes I feel like singled out scriptures I find aren't really helping because they don't resonate. I can't feel like positive things are very helpful if I'm feeling like that and it feels like trying to push the idea of false hope is borderline toxic positivity.

Hope this helps. Best scriptures to pray when down are ones in praise to God. More often times then not a Spirit of praise drives negative spirits away. Not always easy when you want to be negative. LOL

Praise the Lord ! Oh give thanks to the Lord , for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting. Psalms 106:1

I will give thanks to the Lord according to His righteousness And will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.
Psalms 7:17

I will praise the name of God with song And magnify Him with thanksgiving.
Psalms 69:30

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
Psalms 107:1

Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle.
Psalms 103:3‭-‬5

As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, And at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed, Yet from my flesh I shall see God;
Job 19:25‭-‬26

The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever.
Isaiah 40:8

For Your lovingkindness is great to the heavens And Your truth to the clouds.
Psalms 57:10

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalms 34:18

From the rising of the sun to its setting The name of the Lord is to be praised.
Psalms 113:3

But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning, For You have been my stronghold And a refuge in the day of my distress.
Psalms 59:16

Praise the Lord ! Praise the Lord from the heavens; Praise Him in the heights! Praise Him, all His angels; Praise Him, all His hosts! Praise Him, sun and moon; Praise Him, all stars of light! Praise Him, highest heavens, And the waters that are above the heavens! Let them praise the name of the Lord , For He commanded and they were created.
Psalms 148:1‭-‬5

So I will sing praise to Your name forever, That I may pay my vows day by day.
Psalms 61:8

I am precious to God and He will take care of me. Matthew 6:25-44

Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, Yet those who wait for the Lord Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.
Isaiah 40:30‭-‬31

The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You.
Isaiah 26:3

O God the Lord, the strength of my salvation, You have covered my head in the day of battle.
Psalms 140:7

The Lord your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.
Zephaniah 3:17

I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus,
1 Corinthians 1:4

I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders.
Psalms 9:1

I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well.
Psalms 139:14

Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.
Psalms 139:23‭-‬24

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;
Hebrews 10:23

If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.
2 Timothy 2:13

Bless the Lord , O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Psalms 103:1

For the Lord is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations.
Psalms 100:5

For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes, And I have walked in Your truth.
Psalms 26:3

As it is written in the law of Moses, all this calamity has come on us; yet we have not sought the favor of the Lord our God by turning from our iniquity and giving attention to Your truth.
Daniel 9:13

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9

“Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created.”
Revelation 4:11

“Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.”
Luke 2:14

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.
Psalms 23:1‭-‬3

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious oil upon the head, Coming down upon the beard, Even Aaron’s beard, Coming down upon the edge of his robes. It is like the dew of Hermon Coming down upon the mountains of Zion; For there the Lord commanded the blessing—life forever.
Psalms 133:1‭-‬3

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls . For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28‭-‬30

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1 NASB1995

Gracious is the Lord , and righteous; Yes, our God is compassionate.
Psalms 116:5

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
2 Corinthians 5:21

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39

For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
Psalms 91:3‭-‬4

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope this helps. Best scriptures to pray when down are ones in praise to God. More often times then not a Spirit of praise drives negative spirits away. Not always easy when you want to be negative. LOL
It's true! I've been trying to praise more in that time, but I go back and forth. Sometimes I just let go and I'm like, "Alright... I'm tired, God. You do it," and unleash the feelings. lol

"If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself."
2 Timothy 2:13

That's probably my favorite one out of those!

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ms. Fluffy, whatever it is that just happened, your attempts to open up, communicate what you are feeling, and the incredibly gracious way you asked for support, triggered a few things in me. I'm struggling for words atm. It's a good thing BTW. The Lord has shown me a few experiences where emotion became so strong i wondered if I was losing my mind. Much less what others thought about my sanity :). Praying for you now ill just share that I believe He witnessed to my heart. "She will be just fine, I have her. She is right where I want her and healing will come through this."

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ms. Fluffy, whatever it is that just happened, your attempts to open up, communicate what you are feeling, and the incredibly gracious way you asked for support, triggered a few things in me. I'm struggling for words atm. It's a good thing BTW. The Lord has shown me a few experiences where emotion became so strong i wondered if I was losing my mind. Much less what others thought about my sanity :). Praying for you now ill just share that I believe He witnessed to my heart. "She will be just fine, I have her. She is right where I want her and healing will come through this."
Thank you, Jostler :) I hope you are right! I think you are.
ce753479d6d9236bf0d31f2edb9b5647.gif

Reactions: April_Rose

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These emotions we can feel so strongly at times, are emotions GOD created us to be able to feel. He is not astonished by them. Those who have suffered trauma in life can mishandle them, and we end up emotionally "bent" (in a sense). Part of His redemption often involves unbending our emotional expressions...its part of turning our soul into His image. We are very familiar with the process of mental transformation:

2 Corinthians 10:5 NIV — We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

It took me a long time to realize its not just our thinking that needs to be transformed into His image after the new birth. We can't manifest an accurate image of Him in our lives just by learning to THINK as He does (though that is critical).

We have to FEEL as He does ABOUT what we think as well

Last edited:

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll hush....much more on my mind....but, I am confident HE is doing something in you through this, for your good. I'd suggest, don't deny the feelings or think they're somehow "wrong". Let Him take you through them...feel them all...and ask Him to tell you whatever it is He would like to tell you about the feelings. If the pillow won't hold the tears, get some towels and...let them flow....experience them...they will release healing, and He treasures every single drop.

Psalm 56:8 NKJV — You number my wanderings; Put my tears into Your bottle; Are they not in Your book?

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll hush....much more on my mind....but, I am confident HE is doing something in you through this, for your good. I'd suggest, don't deny the feelings or think they're somehow "wrong". Let Him take you through them...feel them all...and ask Him to tell you whatever it is He would like to tell you about the feelings. If the pillow won't hold the tears, get some towels and...let them flow....experience them...they will release healing, and He treasures every single drop.

Psalm 56:8 NKJV — You number my wanderings; Put my tears into Your bottle; Are they not in Your book?
I think you are right - especially because I was using nicotine to self-medicate and not feel those things. It was my way of controlling it to not have to go through that process. Now I don't have an option and I'm going to go journal for a little bit.

I might actually take a few days offline because it's making me feel self-absorbed and a little foggy/confused and I don't want to say too much while reacting emotionally because I can't think clearly.

Thank you <3 :) I appreciate your help.

God bless

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are right - especially because I was using nicotine to self-medicate and not feel those things. It was my way of controlling it to not have to go through that process. Now I don't have an option and I'm going to go journal for a little bit.

I might actually take a few days offline because it's making me feel self-absorbed and a little foggy/confused and I don't want to say too much while reacting emotionally because I can't think clearly.

Thank you <3 :) I appreciate your help.

God bless
I don't see you as self absorbed. You need to fill yourself too, :)

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been fine, but somehow I did that thing where you leave a pot on the back stove until it boils over, but emotionally. So I had somehow triggered myself. (This is like when a pet passed away when I was a kid and my mom said I showed no emotion until months later and woke up screaming.)

So I ended up with the screaming-in-the-pillow-and-almost-throwing-up crying where you're just not going to have a very productive day AT ALL.

Sometimes I feel like singled out scriptures I find aren't really helping because they don't resonate. I can't feel like positive things are very helpful if I'm feeling like that and it feels like trying to push the idea of false hope is borderline toxic positivity.
One of my favorite verses in the Bible is John 21:5 "Any fish boys?" (my paraphrase.) This is a reminder to me that Jesus was a real person, not the "cardboard cut-out" seen in movie depictions of the New Testament. He is able to make small talk and have breakfast by the fire with his buds.

Another verse that comes to mind is John 11:35, "Jesus wept." Profound in spite of it's brevity. Jesus knew he was going to raise Lazarus from the dead, but this information was not enough to stop him from crying with his friends over his death.

I tried to capture the emotion in my video "Lazarus come forth"

Fluffy, don't ever let anyone tell you how you should or should not feel. But also, in my humble opinion, the fact that you are able to take an objective view of your emotions is a really good sign. Don't just do something, stand there.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my favorite verses in the Bible is John 21:5 "Any fish boys?" (my paraphrase.) This is a reminder to me that Jesus was a real person, not the "cardboard cut-out" seen in movie depictions of the New Testament. He is able to make small talk and have breakfast by the fire with his buds.

Another verse that comes to mind is John 11:35, "Jesus wept." Profound in spite of it's brevity. Jesus knew he was going to raise Lazarus from the dead, but this information was not enough to stop him from crying with his friends over his death.

I tried to capture the emotion in my video "Lazarus come forth"

Fluffy, don't ever let anyone tell you how you should or should not feel. But also, in my humble opinion, the fact that you are able to take an objective view of your emotions is a really good sign. Don't just do something, stand there.
Thank you :) I haven't gotten to deal with that stuff yet, I tried today and even journaled but writing with a crayon was hard so I gave up and nothing was coming out. I know it's there, but I think part of that is there's still a survival part of me that feels like I have other things to do that require my attention and I don't have time yet. I kind of have to schedule it, I think.

And just all around fed-up numbness to where I'm emotionally disconnected from pretty much everything. I don't know if that's good or not.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I hear you. I was the same way many years ago in another place and another time. You held it all in not knowing if you could control your feelings, anxiety builds and sadness comes in and finally the dam breaks one day. And no matter how we tried to save the world, it's frustrating when it eludes us. But you have so much to offer. Be like Christ to others, even strangers you meet every day. It's their only tangible view of Him. You have to be like the Savior was to others. It reminds me of something I once wrote, and told to few, but to you maybe this will help, and maybe it was meant for you today, I don't know. I wrote of myself (from God's view perhaps): "You will be a common, ordinary man. Not many will know of your importance. Yet you will heal the sick and mend the broken-hearted. They will know I am God." But, you may say, I am broken hearted myself! to which the reply comes, "I said you will heal the sick and mend the broken-hearted." You can do this. If that's you in your picture, you look young yet like I was. Take it from this ol' 62-year-old today, it does get better. Those feelings you have I had, and now have become a stranger to me.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you :) I haven't gotten to deal with that stuff yet, I tried today and even journaled but writing with a crayon was hard so I gave up and nothing was coming out. I know it's there, but I think part of that is there's still a survival part of me that feels like I have other things to do that require my attention and I don't have time yet. I kind of have to schedule it, I think.

And just all around fed-up numbness to where I'm emotionally disconnected from pretty much everything. I don't know if that's good or not.
Hope in JESUS dear sister . you are loved and shall be prayed for as well .
let us just focus on and remember all that JESUS did for us so that we who do believe would have eternal life .
This life is but a vapor sister and we truly do not know when our last day is .
Just focus on the glorious and merciful Grace of GOD which has been given us in JESUS CHRIST .
Lift up those hands and just praise the glorious LORD sister . You are dearly loved sister .

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have done this very thing very often in my life.... survival mode. Then later, it all comes to a head and then, the "crash" and "fall apart."

I often find comfort in reading and praying the Psalms. David had many crisis moments and he didn't hide his messes from God. That's how we have to be if we're going to experience healing from what life has thrown at us.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One thing I learned at Yellowstone National Park, when you drop your car keys into the hot pool, better to let them go.

Something you just said here reminded me of something else. Perhaps I'm the only man who cries, but I'm not embarrassed to say so anymore. There are several songs that make me cry and not the obvious ones either. I cry, for instance, when I put on my headphones and listen to "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd.

"I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb"

Our life is like a cowboy song, isn't it? We all walk that lonely road. You might think that Christians never walk a lonely road, but we do. It's just that, ironically, we walk that lonely road together. (smile) The song "Comfortably Numb" reminds me of what my friend once said, "There are two kinds of people in this world. You're either a drug addict or a philosopher." I think what he meant is this. We allow ourselves to think, or we don't. The choice is a lifetime of pain or a lifetime of numbness. Pain gives birth to wisdom, which is why James warned his readers about praying for wisdom, which is a good thing but it comes at a cost.

I've never journaled with a crayon. Maybe I should start. When Zoe's mother died, she turned inward for awhile. I let her be. Eventually she cut up a bunch of magazines and created a collage. It's as if the mind needs to take feelings and issues and put them outside of itself, partly to examine, and partly as a way to say goodbye to them. The experience has made Zoe a stronger woman, wiser and more sympathetic to the pain of others.

I seem to be rambling. If I am making any sense it must be an accident.

I also cry when I hear "Carry on Wayward Son"

"Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man, well
It surely means that I don't know
On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about, I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune
But I hear the voices say . . ."

Reactions: Addy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Numbness... when one is not normally that way... can be a frightening thing.... I remember going through this exact thing 6 years ago when I moved to a new apartment... It was a culmination of hurt, disappointment, frustration, and a total disgust in Christians. ( that is honest ).

I think I was in a coma-like state of this numbness for 5 years. It was a dark place for me and there was no reprieve.
When covid hit last year... I began to wake up ( so to speak )... and YEAH... I know... what a time to wake up..LOL... but I began to FEEL... I began to SEE... and it was GOOD. I began to sing deep within my soul.

In the last year... I have begun to feel JOY for the first time in my life... that deep overflowing JOY that is NOT dependent on circumstances.... along with that JOY... has come a PEACE.... and it is GOOD.

All the above to say... that there is a season for everything... and sometimes it takes us a bit of a time to catch up with that fact.

If you are feeling numb... It's because you are FULL to the brim with as much as you can take... which means... HEALING is needed... TRUTH is needed... and God is inviting you to lay down... submit to Him... and allow Him to do open-heart surgery.

For some reason... mine took over 5 years... honestly... I was in such a state of despair over NOT being able to connect to life and emotions... everything was just DEAD in me.

WAKING up to realize that the GREAT physician had performed the most miraculous surgery on me. What an utterly delightful revelation... Sort of like the caterpillar turning into a beautiful butterfly.

BE Still... and KNOW that HE is your God. He works in mysterious ways.