Are You Spirit Filled Or Still Filling?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. God be willing, I shall be around to address those other verses and passages.

Thanks. I think this is an important study, and I'm glad to be discussing it with you.
I do not agree that the term quenching is extinguishing the Holy Spirit. More like resisting or ignoring the leading of the Holy Spirit when read in context.

1 Thessalonians 5:19 Quench not the Spirit. 20 Despise not prophesyings.

Sometimes the Holy Spirit will prompt a believer to speak and that believer may not want to, fearing ridicule or rejection by his peers.

Ok, now I understand what argument you are making here, and the principle itself is sound, and referenced in passages like Ephesians 6:19.

The problem with using that interpretation here is that σβέννυμι is never actually used in the sense of resisting or ignoring, either in the NT or the LXX. It is consistently used in the NT of extinguishing fires, or putting out a lamp.

For instance, in the LXX it is frequently used in unquenchable fire (see Isaiah 34:10, Ezekiel 20:47 [LXX 21:3], Leviticus 6:9), and of the lamp of the wicked being extinguished (Job 18:5,6, Job 21:17; Proverbs 13:9; Proverbs 24:20).

And in the NT it is used exclusively of extinguishing fire:

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched, where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off. It is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched, where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire, where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:43-48)

The word used here is always σβέννυμι. Three more instances are Hebrews 11:34, Ephesians 6:16, and Matthew 12:20:
"And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gideon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens." (Hebrews 11:33-35)

"Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked." (Ephesians 6:16)

"A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory." (Matthew 12:20)

The only other two NT uses are of lamps going out (Matthew 25:8), which also is a reference to extinguishing a flame, and finally our verse here in 1 Thessalonians 5:19. The suggestion of Paul's language is that he is making allusion to Pentecost, when the Spirit of God was poured out such that they were enveloped in tongues of fire (Acts 2:3).

I cannot find any support in Greek usage, either Classical, NT or LXX, for the translations of either "resist" or "ignore." Do you know of any I am unaware of?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. I think this is an important study, and I'm glad to be discussing it with you.

Ok, now I understand what argument you are making here, and the principle itself is sound, and referenced in passages like Ephesians 6:19.

The problem with using that interpretation here is that σβέννυμι is never actually used in the sense of resisting or ignoring, either in the NT or the LXX. It is consistently used in the NT of extinguishing fires, or putting out a lamp.

For instance, in the LXX it is frequently used in unquenchable fire (see Isaiah 34:10, Ezekiel 20:47 [LXX 21:3], Leviticus 6:9), and of the lamp of the wicked being extinguished (Job 18:5,6, Job 21:17; Proverbs 13:9; Proverbs 24:20).

And in the NT it is used exclusively of extinguishing fire:

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched, where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off. It is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched, where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire, where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:43-48)

The word used here is always σβέννυμι. Three more instances are Hebrews 11:34, Ephesians 6:16, and Matthew 12:20:
"And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gideon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens." (Hebrews 11:33-35)

"Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked." (Ephesians 6:16)

"A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory." (Matthew 12:20)

The only other two NT uses are of lamps going out (Matthew 25:8), which also is a reference to extinguishing a flame, and finally our verse here in 1 Thessalonians 5:19. The suggestion of Paul's language is that he is making allusion to Pentecost, when the Spirit of God was poured out such that they were enveloped in tongues of fire (Acts 2:3).

I cannot find any support in Greek usage, either Classical, NT or LXX, for the translations of either "resist" or "ignore." Do you know of any I am unaware of?

Thank you for sharing, and I am sure you have gone to great length in establishing one definition of quench in regards to fire, but if you think about it, there has to be another definition because there is no way we can extinguish or put out the Holy Spirit in us when He is our seal of adoption. To apply your definition is to mean extinguishing the Holy Spirit as in you no longer have the Holy Spirit, and so it cannot mean the same thing as applied in those verses regarding fire.

Since the Greek words do contain several meanings and the only way one can define its meaning is by how it is used in the verse, like the Greek word pneuma, with opposing definitions of demon, mental disposition, vital principle, spirit, breath, etc. and not to mention the Holy Ghost, one can appreciate the necessity to define the term by how it is used in the verse since none of those things is the same as the Person of the Holy Ghost.

And I should point out that Strong's Concordance may not be thorough in ascertaining all the definitions by how the word quench has been used in the scripture.

So if you think about what happens to fire when extinguish, surely you cannot believe that is what is happening when we quench the Spirit. Are we stronger and more powerful than God to extinguish the Holy Spirit as in putting Him out of existence within us? No. So there has to be another definition for quench because of how it is used in regards to us quenching the Holy Spirit.

So in context of that verse by despising prophesy, I can see how we can quench the Spirit by refusing to be led by Him or even by sowing to the works of the flesh when we should be sowing to the fruits of the Spirit, but as grievous that is to the Holy Ghost, He is not going any where.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

That is why there is no continual filling of the Holy Ghost because we have been sealed unto the day of redemption which is why by the Holy Ghost in us as Spirit- filled, we can testify to others that we are saved when we had first believed in Jesus Christ and that God had raised Him from the dead.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just reading through this thread (parts of it anyway), so let me engage you. I think you are making a classic error that many Cessationists tend to make, though I'm not saying you necessarily are one; namely, that when you "receive the Holy Spirit" you are "filled" for good, and that your "cup" as it were remains full of the Spirit forever, regardless of what you do, how you act, or how close you stay to God in your walk with Him thereafter. But there are a lot of verses that contradict this.

For instance, 1 Thessalonians 5:19 talks about quenching, i.e. extinguishing the Holy Spirit. What do you do with this verse?

Secondly, Paul commanded the believers at Ephesus (who were saved people) to be filled with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18). Why would he command them to do this if they were clearly already saved and therefore had clearly already received the Holy Spirit, and it was a once and for all type of experience?

There are other verses and passages I can take you to, but let me get your answers to these first.

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden In Him

Thank you...Nice clear post.
I am no longer responding about this subject with him...I hate to see the Holy Spirit maligned as he does. I can't post to him any more.

And , you do know that you are wasting your time...he is deaf and blinkered on this subject and it's very sad. What a waste.

Bless you ...H
( PS ..I hope you are still doing well? I am praying for you. Forgotten which day you are at now..)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing

So sorry about the late response. For reasons I will not explain, my energy is not what it would be right now, but I am throughly enjoying this conversation. It's causing me to refine my positions on things, as I have never had to think things all the way through on matters concerning the indwelling of the Holy Spirit before. Very grateful you posted it, and that you are being courteous.
I am sure you have gone to great length in establishing one definition of quench in regards to fire, but if you think about it, there has to be another definition because there is no way we can extinguish or put out the Holy Spirit in us when He is our seal of adoption. To apply your definition is to mean extinguishing the Holy Spirit as in you no longer have the Holy Spirit, and so it cannot mean the same thing as applied in those verses regarding fire.

Now. Watch this. Clearly the Thessalonians had received the Holy Spirit. Paul says so in 1 Thessalonians 1:5. But you see, the question is a matter of extent. In the Book of Acts the Spirit fell so strongly that it appeared as tongues of fire. Did this manifestation last? This group would have included the apostles, and yet you don't hear anything else in scripture about tongues of fire continuing to appear upon them, or any of the other Christians in NT times. So it becomes a matter of degree.

But when he gives the command not to extinguish the Holy Spirit, IMO this would relate back to Acts 2:1-4 in that they can go from being fully caught up in the fire of God in operating in prophetic utterance to extinguishing that fire by some seeking to put a limit on what the Spirit was doing. In this sense it would not mean that they lost the Holy Spirit entirely, but simply brought it down to where the flame wasn't visible through manifestation anymore, but not that it had gone out within them any more than it went out within those on the Day of Pentecost.
Since the Greek words do contain several meanings and the only way one can define its meaning is by how it is used in the verse, like the Greek word pneuma, with opposing definitions of demon, mental disposition, vital principle, spirit, breath, etc. and not to mention the Holy Ghost, one can appreciate the necessity to define the term by how it is used in the verse since none of those things is the same as the Person of the Holy Ghost.

I agree that most Greek words have multiple meanings. But in this case the range of meanings of this particular Greek word are restricted to "extinguish, quench, quell, and put out." There is no support for anything else from what I can see, and I have access to Liddell-Scott, which is the premier Greek Dictionary. It runs the gamut in covering all ancient Greek use, and there is no use that supports your definitions. And for me, I think we need to stay as close to the actual wording in developing our theology, rather than trying to define word meanings without support simply because it doesn't seem to agree with our theology. Certainly our theology comes into play, but we have to question if our theology is indeed accurate when we are changing the clear meaning of the words used in the text.
And I should point out that Strong's Concordance may not be thorough in ascertaining all the definitions by how the word quench has been used in the scripture.

I don't go by Strong's anyway. I use Liddell-Scott, Mouton-Mulligan, and The Complete Biblical Library primarily.
Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

That is why there is no continual filling of the Holy Ghost because we have been sealed unto the day of redemption which is why by the Holy Ghost in us as Spirit- filled, we can testify to others that we are saved when we had first believed in Jesus Christ and that God had raised Him from the dead.

Now here is the compelling verse. He uses a different word here, and "grieve" carries what I believe is the general sense I was trying to convey; that congregations can dampen the flame of the Holy Spirit burning within them by getting into strife (which is often the context of what does it). He becomes grieved because of their sin, and their desire to give themselves to a spirit of anger/ resentment instead begins limiting the extent to which the fires of the Holy Spirit will build up within them. This is why Paul said to Timothy "stir up the gift of God within you." The more literal rendering of the Greek there is "fan into flame the gift of God which is in you..." It means the gift is there, but until it is fanned into a burning fire it will not manifest itself with any great power or anointing upon it.

So you see? We have the Spirit of God within us, even those who have not experienced the Baptism in the Holy Spirit yet. But the question becomes, do we fan that Spirit into flame? Do we pray for the wind of the Holy Spirit to blow that which is within us into a raging fire.

Sorry again for the late response. Even typing this wasn't easy.
Blessings in Christ.

Last edited:

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So sorry about the late response. For reasons I will not explain, my energy is not what it would be right now, but I am throughly enjoying this conversation. It's causing me to refine my positions on things, as I have never had to think things all the way through on matters concerning the indwelling of the Holy Spirit before. Very grateful you posted it, and that you are being courteous.

Well, I hope in Him that I am sharing in the spirit of meekness since it is on Him to cause the increase. Only He can minister & reveal the truth.

Now. Watch this. Clearly the Thessalonians had received the Holy Spirit. Paul says so in 1 Thessalonians 1:5. But you see, the question is a matter of extent.[/QUOTE]

To what extent when read in context? Paul is just referring to when they were saved at the calling of the gospel.

1 Thessalonians 1:4 Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God. 5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. 6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.

In the Book of Acts the Spirit fell so strongly that it appeared as tongues of fire. Did this manifestation last? This group would have included the apostles, and yet you don't hear anything else in scripture about tongues of fire continuing to appear upon them, or any of the other Christians in NT times. So it becomes a matter of degree.

That "strong" manifestation that had occurred at Pentecost was tongues being spoken in the native languages of foreign Jews visiting in Jerusalem. It was not by a degree when it is just the fulfillment of the prophesy in Isaiah 28:11-12, but ironically, that chapter is confirming what tongues are for and that is for only speaking unto the people, because it exposes what is not of Him at all.

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Those that do not hear will be led astray in the very movements they fall backwards in for following a stranger's voice, tongues without interpretation, gained by seeking another filling of the Holy Ghost.

So there can be no degree or extent of having the filling of the Holy Ghost when that filling is associated with the glory of the gospel of Jesus Christ at our salvation which is why it cannot be shared at any other time less they decrease and thus take away the glory of the Spirit of promise in His name at our salvation.

We can point to another time of a strong manifestation of the Holy Spirit on new believers when Peter & John were arrested after preaching to 5,000 Jews that were receiving the word of God as in believing in Him. After Peter's & John's release, they went into their company, the new believers, as the new believers were so impressed by Peter & John that they ready to "join" Him by praying that they too, may have the same Holy Spirit to speak with boldness the gospel of grace, and all at once, the place was shaken as the community of new believers got saved as they all spoke with one accord ( and not in tongues but in one language as in one accord ) as led by the Holy Spirit to prove that they had received the boldness of speech that Peter & John had as led by the Holy Spirit. Some will contest that they already had the Holy Spirit and that they were not new believers, but they forget to read on that this "change" in their lives had them give up everything to this "new" community of believers where everyone shared alike in that new community of believers and so they were not believers to begin with by evidence of that change in Acts 4th chapter.

To question to what degree or extent we have the filling of the Holy Spirit at any given time or at all times, we can read this.

Colossians 2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

So there is no degree nor extent to the filling of the Holy Spirit at our salvation, but to His operations for why we are not to quench the Spirit.

But when he gives the command not to extinguish the Holy Spirit, IMO this would relate back to Acts 2:1-4 in that they can go from being fully caught up in the fire of God in operating in prophetic utterance to extinguishing that fire by some seeking to put a limit on what the Spirit was doing. In this sense it would not mean that they lost the Holy Spirit entirely, but simply brought it down to where the flame wasn't visible through manifestation anymore, but not that it had gone out within them any more than it went out within those on the Day of Pentecost.

I had bold and underlines that portion in your quote because in your next quote, you are arguing for what extinguish does as restricted by its definition.

I agree that most Greek words have multiple meanings. But in this case the range of meanings of this particular Greek word are restricted to "extinguish, quench, quell, and put out." There is no support for anything else from what I can see,...

So then you are leaving no actual leeway for NOT putting out the Holy Ghost completely in a believer if you stick to that restriction. So there has to be something wrong with that definition for being limited as it is, and thus incomplete.

and I have access to Liddell-Scott, which is the premier Greek Dictionary. It runs the gamut in covering all ancient Greek use, and there is no use that supports your definitions. And for me, I think we need to stay as close to the actual wording in developing our theology, rather than trying to define word meanings without support simply because it doesn't seem to agree with our theology. Certainly our theology comes into play, but we have to question if our theology is indeed accurate when we are changing the clear meaning of the words used in the text.

I don't go by Strong's anyway. I use Liddell-Scott, Mouton-Mulligan, and The Complete Biblical Library primarily.

Well, I better check with Strong's then just to see if it is different; not that it has the final authority; only He does.

The Greek word from Strong's is;
sbennumi
sbennumi
sben'-noo-mee

"a prolonged form of an apparently primary verb; to extinguish (literally or figuratively):--go out, quench."

It is the same definition, albeit a different spelling from what you had spelled it by, and yes, I dare say it is not a complete definition for us to be using as per its meaning.

Since we both agree that the Greek word has different definitions as it can only be defined by how it is used in the verses, then it should be obvious that our educated scholars of the day are not ascertaining that another definition is missing for how it is used in that verse regarding the Holy Spirit.

We can question the Biblical scholars because at one time, in the footnotes of the King James Bible, they ascertained that the behemoth in Job 40th chapter was either a hippo or an elephant but scripture would disagree with those Biblical scholars when his tail is as long as a cedar which is a tree.

And so you & I both can see as that definition of quench being restricted to putting out the Holy Spirit in the same context as fire, that there is an alternate definition missing for the Greek word from which quench was derived from.

Now here is the compelling verse. He uses a different word here, and "grieve" carries what I believe is the general sense I was trying to convey; that congregations can dampen the flame of the Holy Spirit burning within them by getting into strife (which is often the context of what does it). He becomes grieved because of their sin, and their desire to give themselves to a spirit of anger/ resentment instead begins limiting the extent to which the fires of the Holy Spirit will build up within them. This is why Paul said to Timothy "stir up the gift of God within you." The more literal rendering of the Greek there is "fan into flame the gift of God which is in you..." It means the gift is there, but until it is fanned into a burning fire it will not manifest itself with any great power or anointing upon it.

I doubt very much that fanning the flame means seeking to fill yourself up with the Holy Ghost supernaturally. Since faith is what pleases God, then surely applying faith in serving the Lord Jesus Christ will fan the flames, so to speak.

To be continued...God be willing...

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued from last post....

So you see? We have the Spirit of God within us, even those who have not experienced the Baptism in the Holy Spirit yet.

You are complete in Christ. Having Jesus Christ in you is the fullness of God.

There is no other baptism with the Holy Ghost. That only occurs at our salvation at the calling of the gospel, and not the calling of the gospel of tongues without interpretation as gained by receiving what they believe by assumption was the Holy Spirit apart from salvation. It was not.

This goes against the warning by Paul about any one that would preach such a thing ( 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 ) and John's warning in 1 John 4:1-6. And it goes against the examination of our faith that Jesus Christ is in us ( 2 Corinthians 13:5 & 1 John 4:4 )

In addressing the falling away from the faith in 2 Thessalonians 2nd chapter, as those damned will become vessels unto dishonor in His House ( and that is in all respect a damnation when one can never be that vessel unto honor in His House ) Paul reminds believers when they had received the Holy Spirit.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Believers have fallen backwards in seeking that other baptism with the Holy Ghost by that sign of tongues apart from salvation. Isaiah 28"10-13 warned about this; Paul warned about the hypocrisy of seeking to receive the Holy Ghost again and yet the believers knew He was in them in 1 Timothy 4:1-2 and Jesus warned about how believers that are in iniquity in spite of all the wonderful works claimed by them in Matthew 7:21-23 were falling down in those movements of the "Spirit" in Matthew 7:24-27 in which all those wondrous "claims" were coming from.

But the question becomes, do we fan that Spirit into flame? Do we pray for the wind of the Holy Spirit to blow that which is within us into a raging fire.

I would say no. We apply faith in Jesus Christ, believing He will minister thru us and lead us not to minister depending on the situation involved.

Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. 7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

He will lead us to those seeking Him and away from those not seeking Him. Evidence is here.

Acts 16:6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, 7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. 8 And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. 9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.
10 And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

Sorry again for the late response. Even typing this wasn't easy.
Blessings in Christ.

I am coming to the understanding that you are not well, brother. I know the Holy Spirit has been in you since you had been saved at the calling of the gospel, and still is as promised, but as many try to claim only a second blessing by that extra phenomenon by that evidence of tongues, yet more people claim more drinks of the One Spirit where confusion reigns even more, thus we are not all speaking the same thing nor holding to the same judgment. Those who preach even one more drink of the One Spirit have departed from faith and from the traditions taught of us for why they are disorderly in regards to the faith; even tongues without interpretation is confusion even to the tongue speaker as Paul has said for himself.

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

The line has been drawn. The tradition we have been taught must be kept. The defense of the faith in Jesus Christ is the good fight. Do consider that.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Would you like me to post the scriptural reference of John 14:1-3 that I had given you?
ah, no that isn't necessary; but what i would do is go read it and ask yourself why all the "erchomai palin" there in v3 when they had a perfectly good term for "return."

"...Return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty
and receive you unto myself
when is this supposed to happen, do you reckon?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah, no that isn't necessary; but what i would do is go read it and ask yourself why all the "erchomai palin" there in v3 when they had a perfectly good term for "return."

when is this supposed to happen, do you reckon?

At the pre great tribulation rapture event when God will judge His House first. That is the moment in time when the vessels unto honor are received into their mansion in the city of God while those excommunicated shall become vessels unto dishonor in His House for not departing from iniquity by the time the Bridegroom had come.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To what extent when read in context? Paul is just referring to when they were saved at the calling of the gospel.

1 Thessalonians 1:4 Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God. 5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. 6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.

That "strong" manifestation that had occurred at Pentecost was tongues being spoken in the native languages of foreign Jews visiting in Jerusalem. It was not by a degree when it is just the fulfillment of the prophesy in Isaiah 28:11-12, but ironically, that chapter is confirming what tongues are for and that is for only speaking unto the people, because it exposes what is not of Him at all.

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Those that do not hear will be led astray in the very movements they fall backwards in for following a stranger's voice, tongues without interpretation, gained by seeking another filling of the Holy Ghost.

So there can be no degree or extent of having the filling of the Holy Ghost when that filling is associated with the glory of the gospel of Jesus Christ at our salvation which is why it cannot be shared at any other time less they decrease and thus take away the glory of the Spirit of promise in His name at our salvation.

We can point to another time of a strong manifestation of the Holy Spirit on new believers when Peter & John were arrested after preaching to 5,000 Jews that were receiving the word of God as in believing in Him. After Peter's & John's release, they went into their company, the new believers, as the new believers were so impressed by Peter & John that they ready to "join" Him by praying that they too, may have the same Holy Spirit to speak with boldness the gospel of grace, and all at once, the place was shaken as the community of new believers got saved as they all spoke with one accord ( and not in tongues but in one language as in one accord ) as led by the Holy Spirit to prove that they had received the boldness of speech that Peter & John had as led by the Holy Spirit. Some will contest that they already had the Holy Spirit and that they were not new believers, but they forget to read on that this "change" in their lives had them give up everything to this "new" community of believers where everyone shared alike in that new community of believers and so they were not believers to begin with by evidence of that change in Acts 4th chapter.

I read through this several times, and I've had trouble following your point. You seem to be falling back on standard complaints about the purpose of tongues when we were addressing infilling.
To question to what degree or extent we have the filling of the Holy Spirit at any given time or at all times, we can read this.

Colossians 2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

In the quotation of this verse, especially with the highlighted section on being complete in Him, you appear to again be just falling back on standard interpretation that supports your position without addressing mine.
You are complete in Christ. Having Jesus Christ in you is the fullness of God.

There is no other baptism with the Holy Ghost. That only occurs at our salvation at the calling of the gospel

Ok. I can tell where this is going. Listen, you are free to believe as you wish and that is perfectly fine by me, but I can promise you I was baptized in the Holy Spirit and it was a supernatural encounter with the Living God and the Lord Jesus Christ. I was already saved, and I was already a believer, but I had NOT yet received the baptism in the Holy Spirit, just as some in Acts had not yet received it after believing.

I would read the rest, but I'm already sensing we may be at the end of our conversation. If you have no ears to hear, then it serves no good purpose to maintain the conversation, so I will just offer you my thanks for the conversation and let it end in peace.

Good talking with you. Hopefully we get a chance to interact again sometime.
Blessings in Christ,
Hidden In Him

Reactions: Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read through this several times, and I've had trouble following your point. You seem to be falling back on standard complaints about the purpose of tongues when we were addressing infilling.

Well, brother, the apostate tongues that comes with no interpretation as gained by that other filling apart from salvation is connected to how believers seek a supernatural filling of the Spirit apart from salvation. It is the only reason I had pointed to it as the same as departing from faith in Christ Jesus.

In the quotation of this verse, especially with the highlighted section on being complete in Him, you appear to again be just falling back on standard interpretation that supports your position without addressing mine.

The point is there is no more filling as sated plainly in the selected scripture in countering what you seem to be inferring or implying otherwise by selected verses when those verses does not really say that.

Ok. I can tell where this is going. Listen, you are free to believe as you wish and that is perfectly fine by me, but I can promise you I was baptized in the Holy Spirit and it was a supernatural encounter with the Living God and the Lord Jesus Christ. I was already saved, and I was already a believer, but I had NOT yet received the baptism in the Holy Spirit, just as some in Acts had not yet received it after believing.

And this is where the defense of the faith has to come in, because of Romans 8:9.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

This is why some tongue speakers say that if you do not speak in tongues, you do not have the Holy Spirit, and therefore you are not saved. By supporting that second blessing, you give credence to that false teaching and that apostasy. And what is worse, it doesn't stop there. If you do not believe in some of those movements of the "Spirit" where people fall back and are in confusion like that "holy laughter", then look at the rudiment by which those confusions comes; by seeking to have the Holy Spirit fall on them apart from salvation.

This is why you have been warned by the apostle John not to believe every spirit when the Holy Spirit has been in you since your salvation at the calling of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The fact that you felt a spirit coming over you bringing any sign whatsover, it cannot be the Spirit of promise received by faith in Jesus Christ at your salvation. John's points out in 1 John 4:5-6, that those that err will speak as the world speaks in their supernatural tongue which is vain & profane babbling for why no interpretation can come.

I would read the rest, but I'm already sensing we may be at the end of our conversation. If you have no ears to hear, then it serves no good purpose to maintain the conversation, so I will just offer you my thanks for the conversation and let it end in peace.

Good talking with you. Hopefully we get a chance to interact again sometime.
Blessings in Christ,
Hidden In Him

You may not preach that about speaking in tongues means you have the Holy Spirit and thus you are saved, but the testimony of your experience and Romans 8:9 can only lead the hearers to that conclusion.

A neighbor across the street was telling me she was reading her Bible one day in the kitchen when she felt the Holy Spirit come over her and she spoke in tongues. She said that was when she was saved because she got it all at once. Then I asked her what she was reading about Jesus Christ that led her to believe to get saved. She did not know what I was talking about, but then she explained later on that she had went to her pastor and had asked him what had happened and what did that mean, because she has been a believer most of her life. The pastor pointed to Acts as if that explains everything.

I believe she still maintains that was when she was saved.. in that kitchen. Now any hearer is going to think that because they never had that experience, they must not be saved.. and so now saved believers look to receiving the Holy Spirit apart from salvation by the sign of tongues as proof that they are saved.

Just as some will take that same experience like Joyce Meyers and say that moment was God calling her into the ministry thus tempting believers to seek another filling of or baptism of the Holy Ghost by a sign of tongues as proof that God is calling them into the ministry.

No good tree will produce an evil fruit and no evil tree will produce a good fruit. This second or any other repeated filling of the "Spirit" is not of Him, because there is no other calling for a saved believer to heed and thus no other filling when they are complete in Christ as Spirit-filled as promised.

But only the Lord can reveal that to you and deliver you from it to return to your first love as we are all children of God by faith in Jesus Christ.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
At the pre great tribulation rapture event when God will judge His House first.
ah, waiting for Jesus to come save you again, eh? I wish you the best of luck with that. You didn't even read my post, did you
has nothing to do with tomorrow wadr

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah, waiting for Jesus to come save you again, eh?

I am already saved as His when I had first believed in Him. Talking about being saved from what is coming on the earth by the event called the rapture is an entirely different subject, brother.

I wish you the best of luck with that. You didn't even read my post, did you

I did. I could say the same for you. You are a hard person to follow. And usually you do not try to help either. You just leave them hanging. Something I had noticed now.

has nothing to do with tomorrow wadr

As usual, no substance to back your claim. Kind of hard not to see it as being flippant.

Okay, Brother. Reckon we are 2 ships passing in the night since you deem the discussion at an impasse by accusing me as not reading your post and I do not see you really reading mine either. Okey dokey.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
As usual, no substance to back your claim. Kind of hard not to see it as being flippant.
ah, you really think God did not mean "right now?" then my apologies, i guess i was making assumptions, yes

isn't it obvious that God meant "it is you that needs to return, not Me?"

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Reckon we are 2 ships passing in the night since you deem the discussion at an impasse by accusing me as not reading your post and I do not see you really reading mine either.
well i've reviewed, but if you find a snip of yours that i have not addressed just say ok

the usual complaint is that i won't shut up btw lol

Last edited:

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
waiting for Jesus to come save you again is a sad way to live, ok?
there is no joy in that.

Jesus is in me thus I am saved from going to hell. Waiting for Jesus to save me from what is coming on the earth is different.

And Jesus has saved me from other things like habitual sins, vain religious striving & religious bondage, as well as dark forces while I was living on this earth. That is Him being my Good Shepherd and not just my Saviour.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
JIF
Well, I am not - "saved from going to hell"
That is my book is a self serving preservation position.

I'm saved to from the darkness that fell on all mankind at the Fall...back into His marvellous light ....into a living relationship with God...as Adam had.

1 Pet 2:9 " that ye should shew forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light. "
The gospel ( Good news) is not all about hell.

Reactions: bbyrd009

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JIF
Well, I am not - "saved from going to hell"

Since all sinners as unbelievers are going to hell, I can pretty much say that because you had believed in Him, you are saved, and thus you are not going to hell. It is not the only benefit of salvation in Jesus Christ, but it is the obvious and hardly one not to be thankful for.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since all sinners as unbelievers are going to hell, I can pretty much say that because you had believed in Him, you are saved, and thus you are not going to hell. It is not the only benefit of salvation in Jesus Christ, but it is the obvious and hardly one not to be thankful for.

Oh I agree with that. But what I am saying is God did not create us 'for us' He created us for Him. To glorify Him. He wanted Israel not to be like the other nations but be His peculiar special people...He called us to Himself..for Him, not for us. Everything is about Him,it not about us...but somehow it has become " all about us".

You know I am not good at and never have been good expressing myself on paper. So you probably have no clue about what I am trying to say.

I see "Heaven" as back into union with Him..like He gave us a glimpse of ..in Eden...when He " Walked with Adam in the cool of the evening."
Union is what it is all about. Not salvation from hell...although obviously that is apart and parcel of it.