Atheist objections to evidence for God's existence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
So, what is 'good evidence' that you require to demonstrate God exists?
I don't know, but I am sure god knows if he exists. This is like asking what evidence would you accept to convince you that aliens exist. There is probably evidence that I cannot think of that would convince me aliens or god exists.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Mans works only ends up with madness and nonsense of morons like Hitler and the Communist because they serve themselves and it becomes a rudderless ship of fools that's lost and condemned to hellfire.
Or they can end up with scientific discoveries that have saved hundreds of millions of lives.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Vince said:
I have no EVIDENCE the moon is made of cheese, for me to believe the moon is made of cheese.
Exactly, so you cannot choose your beliefs, they must have evidence to convince you.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Vince said:

Okay, so pointing back to your deflective (from the OP) comment...You said...

Now you just told me, you don't trust science because other men have revealed it to you....

Please take this opportunity to expound on WHAT evidence, CONVINCED you, there are HUMAN footprints on the moon.

Glory to God,
Taken
I don't trust other people with claims without supporting evidence. I don't take people word for things I don't trust without evidence. There is ample evidence that men walked on the moon. There are pictures, testimony, video, data of the flight there etc. To believe otherwise would be to believe the largest conspiracy ever. That is unreasonable.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
7 ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS FOR VINCE AND OTHER ATHEISTS

(1) Why are you an atheist instead of an agnostic?
(2) If your skepticism were wrong, what evidence do you have that discovery of your error is your highest priority?
(3) How do you know whether or not there are other types of evidence for God than the evidence you are willing to consider?
(4) What type of paranormal evidence would you accept for God's existence?
(5) If you could be convinced that there is life after death, would that convince you that there is a God?
(6) If you could be convinced that Jesus' resurrection appearances can be traced back to eyewitness testimony, would that convince you that there is a God?
(7) If Christ made Himself real to your subjective satisfaction, would you commit your life to His service?

(1) Definition of Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Definition of Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

I am an atheist because I fit the definition. I lack a belief in god. The agnostic does not believe that god can be knowable even if he exists, I don't believe that. I believe that if god exists he should be knowable.

(2) I am not sure of what is being asked.

(3) I don't. There could be other evidence I don't know about that would convince me that god exists. That is why I don't claim god doesn't exist because I cannot know that. God should know what evidence I would need.

(4) I don't know.

(5) I don't know. Do we need a god for an afterlife? An afterlife could exist without the need for a god.

(6) I don't know.

(7) I don't know. I probably would because of the threat of hell.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS FOR VINCE AND OTHER ATHEISTS

Vince: "I am an atheist because I fit the definition. I lack a belief in god...I believe that if god exists he should be knowable."

How serious are you about confirming God's existence through spiritual experiences?

(2) If your skepticism were wrong, what evidence do you have that discovery of your error is your highest priority?
Vince: "I am not sure of what is being asked."

If your quest to find God is merely casual, then you will not find God. Surely you can recognize that if there is a God of love, then He might expect the quest to find Him to be your highest priority and therefore an all-consuming passion. So God issues this challenge to you: "If you seek Me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord (Jeremiah 29:13-15)."

(3) How do you know whether or not there are other types of evidence for God than the evidence you are willing to consider?
Vince: "I don't. There could be other evidence I don't know about that would convince me that god exists. That is why I don't claim god doesn't exist because I cannot know that. God should know what evidence I would need."

The case for God's existence is only as good as the assumptions made by the arguments. But assumptions derive from our experience. Therefore, the case for God is only as good as our experience. This fact has 2 implications:
(A) The acquisition of faith in God is not really a matter of "proof," because any alleged proof is only as valid as its underlying assumptions, which are shaped by our experience. So the real issue is what truth seekers find psychologically persuasive. But seekers cannot know in advance what would persuade them because none of us know how honest and open are spiritual quest is.

Vince: "I don't know."
Because you don't know, you need to find out. Please start with these 2 evolving threads on paranormal spiritual experiences:
(A) "The Right Prayer Partner" under the Prayer section of this site
(B) 'My Life Journey through then Lens of my Paranormal and Spiritual Experiences" under the Testimony section of this site

(5) If you could be convinced that there is life after death, would that convince you that there is a God?
Vince: "I don't know. Do we need a god for an afterlife? An afterlife could exist without the need for a god."

Because you don't know, isn't it important for you to investigate the evidence? By "evidence" I mean the paranormal verifications that many Near-Death Experiences (NDEs) and After-Death Communications (ADCs) contain verifications that have no plausible natural explanation. I invite you start with my evolving thread on NDEs and ADCs under the "Unorthodox Doctrine Forum" and post your reactions to the specific cases cited. Keep in mind that many atheists and agnostics are converted through their encounters with God or Christ during their NDEs.

(6) If you could be convinced that Jesus' resurrection appearances can be traced back to eyewitness testimony, would that convince you that there is a God?

Well, for starters, consider these 2 facts:
(A) Paul gives a list of Jesus' resurrection appearances in 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 that he has received from the eyewitnesses, the Jerusalem apostles. He received this list of appearances during 2 visits to Jerusalem during which his Gospel was checked out by the apostles, Peter and John and by Jesus' brother James (Galatians 1:18-19; 2:1-10). Of course, some of these resurrection appearances are described in detail in our Gospels.
(B) Paul himself claims to have experienced a resurrection appearance of Jesus (1 Corinthians 9:1; Galatians 1:12-13) that is so bright that it temporarily blinds him (Acts 9:1-8). His resurrection experience transforms him from an aggressive persecutor of Christians into Christ's greatest and most effective apostle.

(7) If Christ made Himself real to your subjective satisfaction, would you commit your life to His service?
Vince: "I don't know. I probably would because of the fear of Hell."

I appreciate your honesty. But please realize that Christ is unlikely to makes Himself real to you just to give you a "get out of jail free" card. Christ WILL make Himself real to you to establish an intimate deeply satisfying personal relationship with you in which you strive tp please Him and serve Him in all that you do. If I lay out Christ's conditions for making Himself real to your satisfaction, are you honest enough to meet those conditions to see what happens and then report the results of your quest to me? Let me add this: I don't approve of what some posters have said to you in this thread. If you wish, we could continue this conversion and interact about the success or problems of your spiritual quest in PMs. Or if you wish, I could give you my private E-mail address.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS FOR VINCE AND OTHER ATHEISTS

Vince: "I am an atheist because I fit the definition. I lack a belief in god...I believe that if god exists he should be knowable."

How serious are you about confirming God's existence through spiritual experiences?
Can you describe a way of demonstrating the spiritual experiences are from god?

Vince: "I am not sure of what is being asked."

If your quest to find God is merely casual, then you will not find God. Surely you can recognize that if there is a God of love, then He might expect the quest to find Him to be your highest priority and therefore an all-consuming passion. So God issues this challenge to you: "If you seek Me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord (Jeremiah 29:13-15)."
I have done this. I sought for a good part of 18 years. You can say that I didn't but I know I did and I believed for a long time. Why god wouldn't reveal himself to me is either he chose not to or he does not exist.

Vince: "I don't. There could be other evidence I don't know about that would convince me that god exists. That is why I don't claim god doesn't exist because I cannot know that. God should know what evidence I would need."

The case for God's existence is only as good as the assumptions made by the arguments. But assumptions derive from our experience. Therefore, the case for God is only as good as our experience. This fact has 2 implications:
(A) The acquisition of faith in God is not really a matter of "proof," because any alleged proof is only as valid as its underlying assumptions, which are shaped by our experience. So the real issue is what truth seekers find psychologically persuasive. But seekers cannot know in advance what would persuade them because none of us know how honest and open are spiritual quest is.
Why can't the existence of god be demonstrated in a way like gravity can be demonstrated? All studies of prayer do not find any links to a supernatural effect. Why does god want to stay hidden to people that are sincerely seeking?

Because you don't know, you need to find out. Please start with these 2 evolving threads on paranormal spiritual experiences:
(A) "The Right Prayer Partner" under the Prayer section of this site
(B) 'My Life Journey through then Lens of my Paranormal and Spiritual Experiences" under the Testimony section of this site
What I mean by I don't know is that I have looked for evidence and I have not found sufficient evidence for belief. I don't know does not equal I haven't looked.

Vince: "I don't know. Do we need a god for an afterlife? An afterlife could exist without the need for a god."

Because you don't know, isn't it important for you to investigate the evidence? By "evidence" I mean the paranormal verifications that many Near-Death Experiences (NDEs) and After-Death Communications (ADCs) contain verifications that have no plausible natural explanation. I invite you start with my evolving thread on NDEs and ADCs under the "Unorthodox Doctrine Forum" and post your reactions to the specific cases cited. Keep in mind that many atheists and agnostics are converted through their encounters with God or Christ during their NDEs.
Again, I don't know does not equal have not looked. I cannot post in the Unorthodox Doctrine Forum but I will look at them.

Well, for starters, consider these 2 facts:
(A) Paul gives a list of Jesus' resurrection appearances in 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 that he has received from the eyewitnesses, the Jerusalem apostles. He received this list of appearances during 2 visits to Jerusalem during which his Gospel was checked out by the apostles, Peter and John and by Jesus' brother James (Galatians 1:18-19; 2:1-10). Of course, some of these resurrection appearances are described in detail in our Gospels.
(B) Paul himself claims to have experienced a resurrection appearance of Jesus (1 Corinthians 9:1; Galatians 1:12-13) that is so bright that it temporarily blinds him (Acts 9:1-8). His resurrection experience transforms him from an aggressive persecutor of Christians into Christ's greatest and most effective apostle.
You need to step back some and give a reason why the bible is a reliable source or supernatural events.

Vince: "I don't know. I probably would because of the fear of Hell."

I appreciate your honesty. But please realize that Christ is unlikely to makes Himself real to you just to give you a "get out of jail free" card. Christ WILL make Himself real to you to establish an intimate deeply satisfying personal relationship with you in which you strive tp please Him and serve Him in all that you do. If I lay out Christ's conditions for making Himself real to your satisfaction, are you honest enough to meet those conditions to see what happens and then report the results of your quest to me? Let me add this: I don't approve of what some posters have said to you in this thread. If you wish, we could continue this conversion and interact about the success or problems of your spiritual quest in PMs. Or if you wish, I could give you my private E-mail address.
What does a personal relationship look like with Jesus? All of my personal relationships don't look at all like the personal relationship Christians have with Jesus. I can see, feel , hear, have a conversation with my wife, friends, children etc. Not so with Jesus so how does a personal relationship with Jesus look? The reason I am not inclined to follow Jesus and his teachings is because he supports things that are immoral in my opinion. He teaches many good things but the support of bigotry and slavery are two I cannot condone. So if the gospel was true I would believe and ask forgiveness because hell sounds horrible but not because god is good.

"Then he left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples came to him,saying,“Explain to us the parable of the weeds of the field.” He answered, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, and the good seed is the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sowed them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels. Just as the weeds are gathered and burned with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear." Jesus Mt 13:36-43 ESV

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't know, but I am sure god knows if he exists. This is like asking what evidence would you accept to convince you that aliens exist. There is probably evidence that I cannot think of that would convince me aliens or god exists.

Vince,

I asked: "So, what is 'good evidence' that you require to demonstrate God exists?"

This is your reply:

I don't know....

However, it was you who stated in #225:

If it was good evidence [for God's existence] I would accept it

So you DON'T KNOW what is 'good evidence' for God's existence BUT 'if it WAS GOOD EVIDENCE' you 'WOULD ACCEPT IT'.

This is self-contradictory. You don't know what good evidence for God's existence is, but you will believe in God only if you get good evidence.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Vince,

I asked: "So, what is 'good evidence' that you require to demonstrate God exists?"

This is your reply:

However, it was you who stated in #225:

So you DON'T KNOW what is 'good evidence' for God's existence BUT 'if it WAS GOOD EVIDENCE' you 'WOULD ACCEPT IT'.

This is self-contradictory. You don't know what good evidence for God's existence is, but you will believe in God only if you get good evidence.
It is not contradictory. It is honest. We don't get to choose what evidence I accept or not. All of us are convinced by evidence or we are not convinced, we don't choose to believe evidence or not. You cannot truly believe something that you are not convinced of, try it. You cannot choose to truly believe the moon is made from cheese, can you? I am not convinced by the evidence so far but there could be evidence out there that I have not seen or been exposed to that would convince me. This is why I am not an agnostic.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Or they can end up with scientific discoveries that have saved hundreds of millions of lives.
Rubbish, all is given due to God, the creator of all. without such would never be, now would their. be it the lives of they who discovered or the millions you mention.
You are trying to make Man God bro. you are peddling on in regards to just one of the gods of an ego trip.:rolleyes:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly, so you cannot choose your beliefs, they must have evidence to convince you.

Still disagree.

Whatever knowledge and information one gains is a BASIS, an Influence, as I already said.

End of day, the individual is going to choose what they believe.

(Well, except for you.)

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't trust other people with claims without supporting evidence.

[/QUOTE]I don't take people word for things I don't trust without evidence. There is ample evidence that men walked on the moon. There are pictures, testimony, video, data of the flight there etc. To believe otherwise would be to believe the largest conspiracy ever. That is unreasonable.[/QUOTE]

Testimony ~ of moon walkers
Data ~ of moon walkers
Pictures ~ of moon walkers
Videos ~ of moon walkers

Testimony ~ of Godly men
Data ~ of Godly men
Eye sight of Gods Creation ~ most every man

You have your evidence for moon walkers that you TRUST.

I have evidence of God that I TRUST.

We all make our choices of what we TRUST to believe.

Glory to God,
Taken

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is not contradictory. It is honest.... I am not convinced by the evidence so far but there could be evidence out there that I have not seen or been exposed to that would convince me. This is why I am not an agnostic.

Sorry, mate,

What is contradictory cannot be honest. Honesty demands consistency with the evidence. You don't want any of that.

You will NEVER be convinced by the evidence God provides for you to demonstrate His existence because you move the goal posts. The existing evidence is not good enough for you but you don't know what evidence will suffice.

Yours is a self-defeating argument. You are looking for the goblin under the leaves of the golden wattle tree that does not exist.

As a result, God does not believe in atheists or agnostics or rationalists and they will stand before Him at judgment "without excuse" (Rom 1:20).

All of your huffing and puffing on this thread for more evidence, more proof goes unnoticed by God as He doesn't believe in atheists. You have more than adequate evidence for God's existence but Rom 1:18 tells us what you do to avoid that evidence.

Oz

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Rubbish, all is given due to God, the creator of all. without such would never be, now would their. be it the lives of they who discovered or the millions you mention.
You are trying to make Man God bro. you are peddling on in regards to just one of the gods of an ego trip.:rolleyes:
How is giving credit to people that actually used their brains to figure out vaccines, insecticides, how to remove a dead esophagus etc making man god. I never claimed to do any of this so how is this an ego trip? Where are these technologies in the bible? Christianity tells the world that they are the cause of all the evil in the world and any good in the world god gets the credit. Even though your god looks down and sees horrible evil happening and does nothing about it.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I don't take people word for things I don't trust without evidence. There is ample evidence that men walked on the moon. There are pictures, testimony, video, data of the flight there etc. To believe otherwise would be to believe the largest conspiracy ever. That is unreasonable.

Testimony ~ of moon walkers
Data ~ of moon walkers
Pictures ~ of moon walkers
Videos ~ of moon walkers

Testimony ~ of Godly men
Data ~ of Godly men
Eye sight of Gods Creation ~ most every man

You have your evidence for moon walkers that you TRUST.

I have evidence of God that I TRUST.

We all make our choices of what we TRUST to believe.[/quote]Equating the evidence we have for man walking on the moon with the evidence for gods existence is not even close to the same.What data are you talking about for the existence of god? There are no contemporary eyewitness testimony for the resurrection either in the bible or extra biblical sources.

What specifically in creation proves there is a god?

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Sorry, mate,

What is contradictory cannot be honest. Honesty demands consistency with the evidence. You don't want any of that.

You will NEVER be convinced by the evidence God provides for you to demonstrate His existence because you move the goal posts. The existing evidence is not good enough for you but you don't know what evidence will suffice.
This is a lie. Have you studied epistemology?

Yours is a self-defeating argument. You are looking for the goblin under the leaves of the golden wattle tree that does not exist.

As a result, God does not believe in atheists or agnostics or rationalists and they will stand before Him at judgment "without excuse" (Rom 1:20).

All of your huffing and puffing on this thread for more evidence, more proof goes unnoticed by God as He doesn't believe in atheists. You have more than adequate evidence for God's existence but Rom 1:18 tells us what you do to avoid that evidence.
I know wanting reasonable evidence and discussing this subject with objectivity and reason is "huffing and puffing" to a lot of Christians.

It is convenient to use the get out of the conversation free card or as you call it Romans 1. What specifically about creation proves there is a god?