Baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why would Christians need to be baptized, and how is it done, lets look.

Since Jesus is the way the truth and the life, obviously you would look at His example and His revealed will, especially on being baptized. The scriptures are our guide, and through them we can learn to follow in the footsteps of Jesus and we begin at his commision to preach the gospel to the world.

...Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved; but he that believeth not will be condemned. Mark 16:15,16

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. Mark 16:16

Baptism represents the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. As Christ died, so we must die to sin; He was buried in the tomb, so we are buried in the watery grave; He was raised from the dead, so we are to be raised in newness of life. "Know you not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death? Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." Romans 6:3,4.

Some may ask if adults were immersed, but babies sprinkled as they see it done in some churches. But infants were never baptized in any form in Biblical times, either by sprinkling, pouring, or immersion. There is no text or example that proves that sprinkling or pouring was used at any time. Immersion only was practiced as the only approved mode of baptism.

Jesus said: "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto Me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 19:14. Some persons use this text to support their views on sprinkling. But they must remember that "Jesus Himself baptized not." John 4:2 Jesus received the children "and He took them up in His arms, put His hands upon them, and blessed them." Mark 10:16. Jesus blessed the children, but did not baptize them. To pronounce a blessing on children is not to baptize them.

The word "baptism" comes from the Greek word "baptizo," which means "dip" or to "immerse;" but never to "sprinkle."

John the Baptist Prepares the Way
Matthew 3
1In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, 2And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. 3For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. 4And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey. 5Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, 6And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

The Baptism of Jesus
Matthew 3
13Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
16And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Note that John the Baptist did his baptizing in the river Jordan. Ever wonder why? A clue is in the definition of baptism. Here are the Greek words used in connection with baptism, from Strong's Greek dictionary:

G907. baptizo, bap-tid'-zo; from a der. of G911; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); used only (in the N.T.) of ceremonial ablution, espec. (techn.) of the ordinance of Chr. baptism:--baptist, baptize, wash.

G908. baptisma, bap'-tis-mah; from G907; baptism (techn. or fig.):--baptism.

G909. baptismos, bap-tis-mos'; from G907; ablution (cerem. or Chr.):--baptism, washing.

G910. Baptistes, bap-tis-tace'; from G907; a baptizer, as an epithet of Christ's forerunner:--Baptist.

G911. bapto, bap'-to; a prim. verb; to whelm, i.e. cover wholly with a fluid; in the N.T. only in a qualified or spec. sense, i.e. (lit.) to moisten (a part of one's person), or (by impl.) to stain (as with dye):--dip.

Apostolic baptism was by full immersion, and that is why John the Baptist used the river Jordan. In other words, the one being baptized was fully dunked under the water, which is clear from the Greek.
The only examples we have in the Bible of persons who were baptized were adults. Let us take a look at a few more examples of men and women who were baptized. Acts 8:12; 2:41,42.

Paul was baptized after he was converted. Acts 9:18. Of the three thousand that were baptized the record states: "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers." Acts 2:41,42.

There were certain disciples at Ephesus who had been baptized, but who had not received sufficient instruction. They said, "We have not so much as heard
whether there be any Holy Ghost." Then Paul reminded them of what John had said, "that they should believe on ... Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." Acts 19:2-5. Thus they were baptized again after they received sufficient instruction.

So why immersion? What is the reason for it?

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Baptism is symbolic of burial with Christ, which is the reason for full immersion, and coming up out of the water is symbolic of being raised from the dead to a new and eternal life.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Water baptism should go hand in hand with receiving God's Spirit.

Water baptism today is for people who believe this: Jesus died for their sin so that they can & should receive His Life by receiving His Spirit.

"Baptismal regeneration" (believing that you have received the Spirit because you were baptised as a "believer") is wrong.
(Acts 8:12-16).

Paul re-baptised peoiple who hadn't heard the full message of Jesus (see Acts 19:1-6).
They believed in Jesus as lamb of God (which John preached), but didn''t understand about the receiving of the Spirit.

There must be a way of knowing you have received the Spirit otherwise Paul was asking a Q that can't be answered when he says:
Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? (v2)

Reading on we see that Paul knew they still had not received the Spirit, even after he baptised them, and he knew precisely when they received
... same way as the other apostles in Acts 2:4, 10:44-46.

Unto what "Jesus" were you baptised?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did alot of fine research there, Hobie.
Thank you.
:) Miss Hepburn

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Water baptism should go hand in hand with receiving God's Spirit.

Water baptism today is for people who believe this: Jesus died for their sin so that they can & should receive His Life by receiving His Spirit.

"Baptismal regeneration" (believing that you have received the Spirit because you were baptised as a "believer") is wrong.
(Acts 8:12-16).

Paul re-baptised peoiple who hadn't heard the full message of Jesus (see Acts 19:1-6).
They believed in Jesus as lamb of God (which John preached), but didn''t understand about the receiving of the Spirit.

There must be a way of knowing you have received the Spirit otherwise Paul was asking a Q that can't be answered when he says:
Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? (v2)

Reading on we see that Paul knew they still had not received the Spirit, even after he baptised them, and he knew precisely when they received
... same way as the other apostles in Acts 2:4, 10:44-46.

Unto what "Jesus" were you baptised?

TallMan, I greatly appreciate your referring to Paul as an example to us concerning this subject, and by doing so you honor God by maintaining the order He established for His saints. Whenever we pull truth away from the Circumcision and try to incorporate it into Paul's Gospel, the message he so aggressively defended in his Galatian letter, we err, and do not bear witness to the Holy Spirit's power in either the Lord's life or in Paul's. That Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, was one and the same in both of them.

It may be contested, and I am sure it will, but whenever the term "disciple" is used in the Holy Writings, it is used in conjunction with Hebrew believers and their proselytes to their faith, whether it be Old or New Covenant.

In Paul's ministry, which he received not from men or a man, he was obligated to reach out to the Jew first and also to the Gentile, until the time when Israel as a whole utterly refused the re-offering of the Kingdom by the Twelve Apostles and Paul's witness.

At that point, the Kingdom promises were removed from them til the times of the Gentiles find their fulfillment. The next time it is offered, it will be established without their consent, as the Son of David takes up His suzerainty in Jerusalem in glory and in power.

1C 1:17 . For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Paul makes it clear that his apostleship did not include water baptism, since his teaching and understanding of the ritual had its significance in a Jewish priesthood and Royal Nation, which was abdicating it's God-given right to rule over the earth. With the Jews, as a whole, rejecting Messiah and the laws of that Kingdom (including the Sermon, national baptism, and repentance), and the Cross of Christ becoming a stumblingblock for the majority of them, the Gospel of Grace was released by God through Paul for the nations.

Participation in water baptism was necessary for entrance into Lord's earthly Kingdom, which Paul was compelled to follow to fulfill the mandate of "to the Jew first, but also to the gentile", until the wholesale rejection by that nation took place. Paul says,

[There is]
one body
, and
one Spirit, even as ye are called in
one hope of your calling;
One Lord,
one faith,
one baptism,

One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.
AV Eph 4:4-6

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. Ro 6:3, 4

While Paul may have observed and participated in water baptism, he did not exercise the rite with the nations, as it was an act of "works and faith", which is the Jewish mandate, not ours. We are saved for grace, through faith, and that not from our own wills, it is the gift of God, according to His choosing.

He that has ears to hear, let him listen. Rightly dividing the word of truth is work, it is needed, it qualifies the student. By failing to correctly partition the word of Truth, many suffer untold loss in realizing who their Father is, and what His Son is all about.
fivesense

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
I find there are many people who tend to worry more about how someone else is baptized than they worry about themselves.

It is a religious quirk of human nature to use religious scrutiny to loudly proclaim "I am not one of them"

By proclaiming "I am not like those guy's" really means myself and my religion is much superior to theirs

The message "I am better than you are" can be conveyed under many different disguises.

The super religious love disguises. It has always been that way.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
I find there are many people who tend to worry more about how someone else is baptized than they worry about themselves.

It is a religious quirk of human nature to use religious scrutiny to loudly proclaim "I am not one of them"

By proclaiming "I am not like those guy's" really means myself and my religion is much superior to theirs

The message "I am better than you are" can be conveyed under many different disguises.

The super religious love disguises. It has always been that way.

Keep it up Martin W, and someone may send a tar and feathers committee to your house. Exposing religious spirits can be dangerous.

Essentially, this is the issue Paul was addressing. The factious among the Corinthians were using the ritual as a badge and no doubt demanding special audience in affairs with one another. Unquestionably, any Jew in the Body believing the Gospel of of a joint and equal inheritance, would still be inclined towards preferential treatment since "salvation is of the Jews". The fuller revelation of the secret given to Paul would unfold gradually as the nation of Israel continued to lose their place in God's plan; and the faith, expectation, and love that undergirded Paul's messaage would be obtained only through understanding his teachings and God's enlightenment.

Such is the nature of works, as water baptism is; it easily becomes the springboard into strife and division on earth, for that is where it is meant to be used, and that is the "ticket", so to speak, for entrance into the Kingdom on earth to come. In the heavenly realm, where Christ has seated us with Himself, where we shall ever be with Him and like Him at His return, baptism into His death is the only way in.