Being a Christian on the Internet

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
Wherever I go online, I often find Christians engaged in vigorous debate with people on social media, forums and in the comments of websites. It seems that it is difficult for people to draw a line between a strong defense of truth and behavior that seems to conflict with our Biblical guidance on our own personal behavior. There is also the issue of making ourselves a barrier to the Gospel by the way we treat those we are interacting with.

I recently wrote an article on being friends on social media to address some of those issues. I would love your feedback.

Being “Friends” on Social Media

In general, do you believe that you personally are able to keep these things in balance? What helps you to do that?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wherever I go online, I often find Christians engaged in vigorous debate with people on social media, forums and in the comments of websites. It seems that it is difficult for people to draw a line between a strong defense of truth and behavior that seems to conflict with our Biblical guidance on our own personal behavior. There is also the issue of making ourselves a barrier to the Gospel by the way we treat those we are interacting with.

I recently wrote an article on being friends on social media to address some of those issues. I would love your feedback.

In general, do you believe that you personally are able to keep these things in balance? What helps you to do that?

I liked this part:

Friends see their friends as more than their position on one issue. People are complex and to label and write people off for one issue that you disagree with them on is not true friendship. We used to live in a world where most people’s views and opinions were held in private. That is no longer true for many. Social media has given people the opportunity to express these things without restraint. If you choose to call someone friend and they express an opinion that you disagree with, you should practice empathy first and give them the benefit of the doubt. Think about what would lead them or even yourself to hold a similar view. Value their friendship by making sure they are fully heard. If necessary, engage them in loving, honest debate to learn more and share your difference of opinion in a way that doesn’t belittle or demean them. (Proverbs 27:9).

I've discovered that if you truly love someone, you can sit through hearing all sorts of strange perspectives and still be willing to listen patiently.

That said, the question is do you love everyone like that. I'm getting better. I still have certain things that set me off. Not keen on dishonesty or dodging. That tells me their heart is not in the right place. But eventually even that I think I may be able to deal with.

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
It's definitely tough. Fortunately, we are not called to be perfect, but rather to grow in Christ daily. Part of that is the mistakes that we make and learning from them. I've found that repentance and forgiveness after a mistake can deepen friendships as well.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
FIRST OF ALL, CHRISTIANS SHOULD TOTALLY BOYCOTT FACEBOOK, TWITTER, LINKEDIN, INSTAGRAM, ETC. Boycotts are powerful weapons.

The word "friend" has been debased by the social media, which are all manipulating the general population. I believe iPhone addiction and the social media are connected, but what most people glued to iPhones do not understand is that all the media -- particularly the social media -- are manipulating the public to think as Leftists and Communists, rather than free people with free speech who should value their freedoms.

The heavy censorship of conservative, Christian, truthful, and factual news shows that ONLY ONE narrative is allowed. And that is because those in government have neglected to hold these billionaires accountable for violating the constitutions. Now the Democrats in the USA are actually begging the social and mainstream media networks to shut down everything opposed to their Communistic ideas. This is no different than the tactics of Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Castro.

As to how Christians should communicate, we need to be simply polite but firm about the difference between truth and lies. Whether the lies are in the spiritual or religious realm, or within the political and social context. There is currently a huge movement to promote Black Racism and White Guilt. This should be condemned without hesitation. There is also a huge movement to promote the LGBTQ agenda. Once again, no Christian should condone sexual perversion. There is also a huge movement to promote the agenda of the New Word Order, which includes the Great Reset and the bogus COVID pandemic. All such lies should be exposed for what they are -- garbage. We know that the Father of Lies is behind all this, but what is happening currently is unprecedented.

Reactions: Cooper

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For me, I try to keep a distinction between having a perspective on a particular matter and trying to debate or persuade others. For me, the latter is absolutely useless. Trying to debate in a bid to convince someone else of my position would be guaranteed to fail 99.9% of the time. This helps reduce the temperature or volume of the discussion and keeps it civil.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Irwin
I am on Facebook , but just use it to keep in contact with many. Years ago I would post much more but the platform itself has become a place of adverts more than real connection and ‘ it ‘ decides who you see and don’t see. People who are my friends have that role prior to me linking with them there. I can’t say I have ever ‘ made friends ‘ through Facebook itself. In my younger days on there I would get into discussions and arguments, mainly because of immaturity and lack of spiritual judgment !
On forums, and I am only on Christians ones, I only use the term ‘ friend ‘ with those few I feel a true connection with and have had private conversations with away from the forum itself. Many I see as true brothers and sister in Christ, but even within that relationship there are differing levels of trust.
So it varies what I share and where, sometimes on the forum and sometime through Private messages.
Then again I would say I ‘ get involved ‘ with heard discussions less than I use to and tend to ‘ think ‘ before I respond much more. I have also learned to walk away, immaturity sometimes dictates that a person needs and desires to have the last word.
I do tend to have a concern about ‘ how ‘ some people talk to others on this forum.
I do not class every acquaintance as a friend, many are superficial relationships with very little depth or connection. So I am probably more like your wife.
Like the article xxx

Reactions: Irwin Fletcher

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Christians are a BARRIER to THE Gospel by being brainwashed by their churches rather than studying the Bible themselves.

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
For me, I try to keep a distinction between having a perspective on a particular matter and trying to debate or persuade others. For me, the latter is absolutely useless. Trying to debate in a bid to convince someone else of my position would be guaranteed to fail 99.9% of the time. This helps reduce the temperature or volume of the discussion and keeps it civil.
Argumentation is definitely not effective. I have tried to present truth to people and offer alternative perspectives. Respectfully disagreeing with people can also turn the temperature down on these types of conversations. I think Jesus' example of teaching in parables is helpful. A parable is truth, but it is illustrated in a way that makes people think.

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
Christians are a BARRIER to THE Gospel by being brainwashed by their churches rather than studying the Bible themselves.
A Church that follows the Bible and preaches the Gospel of Jesus is not a barrier because it will teach people to study the Bible and lead them to do it both when they gather corporately and individually.

Reactions: Rita

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
Hi Irwin
I am on Facebook , but just use it to keep in contact with many. Years ago I would post much more but the platform itself has become a place of adverts more than real connection and ‘ it ‘ decides who you see and don’t see. People who are my friends have that role prior to me linking with them there. I can’t say I have ever ‘ made friends ‘ through Facebook itself. In my younger days on there I would get into discussions and arguments, mainly because of immaturity and lack of spiritual judgment !
On forums, and I am only on Christians ones, I only use the term ‘ friend ‘ with those few I feel a true connection with and have had private conversations with away from the forum itself. Many I see as true brothers and sister in Christ, but even within that relationship there are differing levels of trust.
So it varies what I share and where, sometimes on the forum and sometime through Private messages.
Then again I would say I ‘ get involved ‘ with heard discussions less than I use to and tend to ‘ think ‘ before I respond much more. I have also learned to walk away, immaturity sometimes dictates that a person needs and desires to have the last word.
I do tend to have a concern about ‘ how ‘ some people talk to others on this forum.
I do not class every acquaintance as a friend, many are superficial relationships with very little depth or connection. So I am probably more like your wife.
Like the article xxx

Thanks Barbara, I appreciate your perspective, it shows Christian maturity. For the most part, the division I see is driven by politics, whether it is between friends of acquaintances. As Christians, we should care about political and social issues, but our Kingdom is not of this world and it seems important to remember that as we enter into these discussions.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Barbara, I appreciate your perspective, it shows Christian maturity. For the most part, the division I see is driven by politics, whether it is between friends of acquaintances. As Christians, we should care about political and social issues, but our Kingdom is not of this world and it seems important to remember that as we enter into these discussions.
I agree with regards to the politics, but that does equally need to be balanced with being aware of what is going on and seeking the Lords guidance as to how go forward. I do think many are obsessed with certain aspects of what is going on right now and it seems to be there main focus. I often wonder how many spend endless hours searching the web for confirmation of their viewpoint and insights ! Rita

Reactions: Irwin Fletcher

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Church that follows the Bible and preaches the Gospel of Jesus is not a barrier because it will teach people to study the Bible and lead them to do it both when they gather corporately and individually.
But how many Churches follow the Bible? We have thousands of churches that preach different doctrines. Is God confused?