Boycott the NFL

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biting the hand that feeds them.

Exactly right. And I just read where the black ESPN anchor was benched for two weeks for her remarks about Trump, Jones, and the Cowboys.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
But they forced their racist protest on the NFL, using the NFL as a forum. And the method they used was disrespect to the flag, anthem, and country.
then a case can equally be made that those who stand are forcing their opinion on us, and that all falls into a hole at that point.

Good to see ya, hi! :)

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. And white people didnt like the protests back in the sixties either - it was such a hassle and put police at risk.....

How unbecoming.....

It is one of the saddest things for me to watch; the kicking and screaming of a dominate group losing power. I watched in South Africa, as a kid, with shock.....not even getting it that America is taking much longer to get it

HA!!!! This is golden.:D

B

Butterfly

In early 2016, I began paying attention to reports about the incredible number of unarmed black people being killed by the police. The posts on social media deeply disturbed me, but one in particular brought me to tears: the killing of Alton Sterling in my hometown Baton Rouge, La. This could have happened to any of my family members who still live in the area. I felt furious, hurt and hopeless. I wanted to do something, but didn’t know what or how to do it. All I knew for sure is that I wanted it to be as respectful as possible.

A few weeks later, during preseason, my teammate Colin Kaepernick chose to sit on the bench during the national anthem to protest police brutality. To be honest, I didn’t notice at the time, and neither did the news media. It wasn’t until after our third preseason game on Aug. 26, 2016, that his protest gained national attention, and the backlash against him began.

That’s when my faith moved me to take action. I looked to James 2:17, which states, “Faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” I knew I needed to stand up for what is right.

I approached Colin the Saturday before our next game to discuss how I could get involved with the cause but also how we could make a more powerful and positive impact on the social justice movement. We spoke at length about many of the issues that face our community, including systemic oppression against people of color, police brutality and the criminal justice system. We also discussed how we could use our platform, provided to us by being professional athletes in the N.F.L., to speak for those who are voiceless.

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former N.F.L. player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

It should go without saying that I love my country and I’m proud to be an American. But, to quote James Baldwin, “exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

I can’t find words that appropriately express how heartbroken I am to see the constant smears against Colin, a person who helped start the movement with only the very best of intentions. We are talking about a man who helped to orchestrate a commercial planeful of food and supplies for famine-stricken Somalia. A man who has invested his time and money into needy communities here at home. A man I am proud to call my brother, who should be celebrated for his courage to seek change on important issues. Instead, to this day, he is unemployed and portrayed as a radical un-American who wants to divide our country.

Anybody who has a basic knowledge of football knows that his unemployment has nothing to do with his performance on the field. It’s a shame that the league has turned its back on a man who has done only good. I am aware that my involvement in this movement means that my career may face the same outcome as Colin’s. But to quote the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., “A time comes when silence is betrayal.” And I choose not to betray those who are being oppressed.

I have too often seen our efforts belittled with statements like “He should have listened to the officer,” after watching an unarmed black person get shot, or “There is no such thing as white privilege” and “Racism ended years ago.” We know that racism and white privilege are both very much alive today.

And it’s disheartening and infuriating that President Trump has referred to us with slurs but the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, Va., as “very fine people.” His remarks are a clear attempt to deepen the rift that we’ve tried so hard to mend.

I am nevertheless encouraged to see my colleagues and other public figures respond to the president’s remarks with solidarity with us. It is paramount that we take control of the story behind our movement, which is that we seek equality for all Americans, no matter their race or gender.

What we need now is numbers. Some people acknowledge the issues we face yet remain silent bystanders. Not only do we need more of our fellow black and brown Americans to stand with us, but also people of other races.

I refuse to be one of those people who watches injustices yet does nothing. I want to be a man my children and children’s children can be proud of, someone who faced adversity and tried to make a positive impact on the world, a person who, 50 years from now, is remembered for standing for what was right, even though it was not the popular or easy choice.

Eric Reed
I do not feel qualified to be a major part of this debate , I am an outsider looking in- but there have been many times when I have heard of shootings ect where the police do appear to get away with things - although I can only go along with what the media reports, and sadly media can be manipulated and controlled. I always believe that In order to understand truly what is going on you have to speak to those who instigated something and asked them ' why ' and what lay behind the action. Only then can you truly weigh up and judge whether you agree or not.
This will lead to one action or another, acceptance of the action or a desire to not agree and take action of another kind. Both demonstrate a freedoms to choose - so I sit on my fence observing and question why some are saying it is wrong to boycott the NFL , and why some are saying it is wrong for the players to kneel - it's all about prospective. There will always be those on both sides of the fence, it's how it is - Just as these players are following their hearts , so is the person who decides to no longer support the NFL.............. The biggest problem, is people taking offence and not allowing others to express themselves in a way that they feel driven to do through conviction.
I don't know why but Rosa parks comes to mind- what an awful thing to do, sit in a white area on a bus- people were disgusted, but she stood her ground. What a brave lady - and it led to change.........
Doesnt something need to change..........

Reactions: amadeus
B

Butterfly

Very true Richard- good verse to put in to practice, definately needed in some arena's - and some forums can be likened to entering the lions den !!!

Reactions: Helen

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
Very true Richard- good verse to put in to practice, definately needed in some arena's - and some forums can be likened to entering the lions den !!!
<hearty chuckle> I have confidence in you.

Of course, I may be cheating, cuz I know He who strengthens you.

Reactions: Butterfly
B

Butterfly

<hearty chuckle> I have confidence in you.

Of course, I may be cheating, cuz I know He who strengthens you.
You do realise Richard that He who strengthens, strengthens everyone else here as well !!! Lol Right better let everyone get back into battle ............

Reactions: Richard_oti

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not feel qualified to be a major part of this debate , I am an outsider looking in- but there have been many times when I have heard of shootings ect where the police do appear to get away with things - although I can only go along with what the media reports, and sadly media can be manipulated and controlled. I always believe that In order to understand truly what is going on you have to speak to those who instigated something and asked them ' why ' and what lay behind the action. Only then can you truly weigh up and judge whether you agree or not.
This will lead to one action or another, acceptance of the action or a desire to not agree and take action of another kind. Both demonstrate a freedoms to choose - so I sit on my fence observing and question why some are saying it is wrong to boycott the NFL , and why some are saying it is wrong for the players to kneel - it's all about prospective. There will always be those on both sides of the fence, it's how it is - Just as these players are following their hearts , so is the person who decides to no longer support the NFL.............. The biggest problem, is people taking offence and not allowing others to express themselves in a way that they feel driven to do through conviction.
I don't know why but Rosa parks comes to mind- what an awful thing to do, sit in a white area on a bus- people were disgusted, but she stood her ground. What a brave lady - and it led to change.........
Doesnt something need to change..........

Welcome to the forum.

The problem is the black NFL players who are 'following their hearts' are doing so by disrespecting the flag, anthem, and country. This is in support of the black Llves matter protests of inequality for blacks. This movement only believes they have a right to free speech as they refuse any others, even the ACLU, the right to free speech.

No one is stopping the players from protesting. They can head to the streets like everyone else. But they should not use the NFL as a venue for their protest, and should not disrespect the flag, country, or anthem. Yet you say we should not take offense.

The biggest problem is not enough people take offense.

Stranger

B

Butterfly

Welcome to the forum.

The problem is the black NFL players who are 'following their hearts' are doing so by disrespecting the flag, anthem, and country. This is in support of the black Llves matter protests of inequality for blacks. This movement only believes they have a right to free speech as they refuse any others, even the ACLU, the right to free speech.

No one is stopping the players from protesting. They can head to the streets like everyone else. But they should not use the NFL as a venue for their protest, and should not disrespect the flag, country, or anthem. Yet you say we should not take offense.

Stranger
It's interesting isn't it, I see people taking offence too much - my son is always relaying info about ' black lives matter ' and some Feminist groups- they go way over board.
Maybe it's more an issue over what we take offence about ?
I know we have had football players who have refused to sing the national anthem over here, this would get pretty much the same reaction- or burning our flag, or poppies.
In some cases I think people do it to get a reaction, so they know full well they are doing something offensive - but the other side of the coin, maybe , is that sometimes you have to do something drastic to get people to wake up and smell the roses ( do you have that expression in the states? )
As I said, not sure I am qualified as I only have views of the USA from the outside, so my context is limited to what I read, not on what I perhaps know.
I do wonder about the power struggles that go on with the police in the USA though, but I guess that's not what is really being discussed here.
I do think that if the NFL lost its support it would take notice , certainly if you did that to one of our top football teams it would have an impact- so I do see that a boycott would work, in the climate of popularity and sponsorship - loss of money speaks !!!!!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You make no sense. You are saying the protest is not about the protest. If the players had taken the protest any other place, it would still have been a racist protest. It just wouldn't involve the NFL and disrespect to the flag.

But they forced their racist protest on the NFL, using the NFL as a forum. And the method they used was disrespect to the flag, anthem, and country.

Well it worked. They got a lot of peoples attention. Everyone sees their black racism for what it is.

Stranger

you say it makes no sense, but you get it. by playing it this way if you don't agree with the NFL and or the media then your are racist. which isn't true, only a perception being cultivated. in the case of, for example the VP leaving the game, its about disrespect for what represents the nation as a whole, therefore basically flipping the finger at the nation and especially those who wore the uniform for it.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Stranger

Americans are brain washed to tolerate and appease, and that you should accept all things.

B

Butterfly

Americans are brain washed to tolerate and appease, and that you should accept all things.
Yes, that is happening here- fear of upsetting or rocking the boat, of being labelled racist or anti something if you say something negative. Over here they seem to go to extremes, one era has one extreme, the next goes completely the other way- kind of be nice to be somewhere in the middle !
I find that groups, like ' black lives matter ' really want a platform - like the feminist groups- they voice an opinion about everything , but in reality they are not fighting true equality- they are out to be heard and cause a reaction - they want to be seen and heard, claim to fame kind of thing. Power !
So is this kind of action spreading to quite a few teams now, I see quite a few posts on Facebook- and about politicians walking out of stadiums- just read the Trump is going to cut tax relief, or something. So why do they not pay tax in the first place?
It all sounds a bit of a mess and kind of devides the country, depending on what side of the fence you sit- isn't that dangerous - Satan must be rubbing his grubby little hands right now- both sides of the pond are seeing the same. So perhaps we need to ask ' what would Jesus do ' - if he physically walked through both our countries right now !
Right, I am waffling !! ( English trait ! )

Reactions: Richard_oti

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that is happening here- fear of upsetting or rocking the boat, of being labelled racist or anti something if you say something negative. Over here they seem to go to extremes, one era has one extreme, the next goes completely the other way- kind of be nice to be somewhere in the middle !
I find that groups, like ' black lives matter ' really want a platform - like the feminist groups- they voice an opinion about everything , but in reality they are not fighting true equality- they are out to be heard and cause a reaction - they want to be seen and heard, claim to fame kind of thing. Power !
So is this kind of action spreading to quite a few teams now, I see quite a few posts on Facebook- and about politicians walking out of stadiums- just read the Trump is going to cut tax relief, or something. So why do they not pay tax in the first place?
It all sounds a bit of a mess and kind of devides the country, depending on what side of the fence you sit- isn't that dangerous - Satan must be rubbing his grubby little hands right now- both sides of the pond are seeing the same. So perhaps we need to ask ' what would Jesus do ' - if he physically walked through both our countries right now !
Right, I am waffling !! ( English trait ! )

Americans are like a herd of buffalo, once they start stampeding they trample down everything in their path. but in this case its a "I'm a victim" scenario going a rye only because they are going to the well one to many times. the empathy of the US citizen has been abused by the very same that say they are abused.

you don't ask for peoples help, by peeing in their Wheaties. and that is what the NFL and the US media is doing to the public, to those who love this country despite its faults. this country is built to change if necessary, no need to disrespect it, especially if your one of the few who get to receive its many benefits, no one feels sorry for that, not at all.

Reactions: Butterfly

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Welcome to the Site Butterfly.
I tell you right now...you Do need thick skin to be on this Site. :)
You will soon learn who you can disagree with in a discussion and enjoy the experience...and who if you disagree with you will get vomited upon.
As 1 John says.."discern the spirits..".
Some are here to have a good ,( sometime hot) discussion..while others are here to just prove themselves right. Like most Christian forums. :)
I think it is a very good Site with some very good hearted people.

As for the issue at hand here.
Your quote:-
"I find that groups, like ' black lives matter ' really want a platform - like the feminist groups- they voice an opinion about everything , but in reality they are not fighting true equality- they are out to be heard and cause a reaction - they want to be seen and heard, 'claim to fame' kind of thing. Power !"

I agree...and so often we as believers forget to look beyond the 'noisy issues' that we see and hear.. I believe that EVERY faction that is voicing itself right now..and even in decades past...is for the one purpose of divide and conquer. So, the issue we think we see, and the noisy issue 'at the font'..are all just pawns in the game.
Lets not forget the the real issue is kingdoms.
We know that we don't wrestle against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers in the high places.. ..
To me THAT is where our focus should be...pulling down the strongholds in the powerful name of Jesus...
The so called "issues" we are shown in the media are never The Issue...they are only the spots and the high fever,( symptoms the sidetrack ) but they are not the root of the disease itself.
There is a much bigger issue going on in the heavenlies...thankfully, we do know the end of the story. :)
That is my two cents of a ramble...
Bless you....H

Reactions: Job