Cessationism vs continuationism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cessationist or continuationist?

• Cessationist

• Continuationist

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lucian Hodoboc

Jul 17, 2017
Craiova
Faith
Christian
Country
Romania
Are you a cessationist or a continuationist? Which of the two doctrines do you consider to be true? Do miracles and the gifts of The Holy Spirit still happen after the apostolic age?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you a cessationist or a continuationist? Which of the two doctrines do you consider to be true? Do miracles and the gifts of The Holy Spirit still happen after the apostolic age?

I believe that the Holy Spirit is "alive and well" in the lives of 'believers who believe' TODAY!! :) I don't consider it "a doctrine'...I consider it a normal part of the Christian life.
By Grace....

Reactions: GodsGrace

Lucian Hodoboc

Jul 17, 2017
Craiova
Faith
Christian
Country
Romania
I believe that the Holy Spirit is "alive and well" in the lives of 'believers who believe' TODAY!!
What about the cases of the non-believers who are healed by the "so-called" Christian faith-healers? I've seen atheists and Muslims being healed by Christian preachers who prayed over them.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about the cases of the non-believers who are healed by the "so-called" Christian faith-healers? I've seen atheists and Muslims being healed by Christian preachers who prayed over them.

True. Many people have been healed that were not believers.
Many missionaries preached healing and masses were healed...that later on, led them to be believers. Are you saying that for some reason they shouldn't be??

I prayed healing for my babies and children...long before they became "believers."
God honours His Word.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They still happen and have happened in every age.

Reactions: Lucian Hodoboc

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well thats the Gospel so why wouldnt they get healed if a believer prayed for them

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Mark 16
15 And he said unto them,Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

A few centuries back, protestant missionaries who were American and the British came to our region and preached the Gospel. Unlike the time of Lord Jesus' disciples, there were no miracles such as casting out of demons or spiritual healing. Instead, there was better education and medical facilities when compared to what was there earlier.

God doesn't stop us to take care of our health with exercise and also medicine.

John 5
17 But Jesus answered them,My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

John 14
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Although no miracles happened with them, God The Father, God The Son and God The Spirit were actively working or else we would not have been Christians today. I have always been amazed by the miracles done by Lord Jesus and His disciples during the times of the Bible. I also believe that God would pour out His Spirit during the last days(if the last days are the present), and I also know that they are always as amazing as ever to show his glory and not like the ones which are done in the neighboring lanes these days.

I am not the first one to believe this, there are many in the world and would continue to be, until we see the glory of God.

All glory to God.

Reactions: Helen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Material manifestations of spiritual reality still happen. Miracles are all around us.

All material things are miracles because they reflect the spiritual.

Just like the material bulk of trees is actually carbon collected from thin air......all atoms are manifestations of spirit

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not big on 'isms...so I had to look them up.

But it would appear to be a ridiculous question - of course the gifts of the Holy Spirit continue...these are the days of which it is written: "I will pour out My spirit on all flesh."

Reactions: Helen

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:) This may inform this thread prior to sisters and brothers launching their vote.

Question: "Is cessationism biblical? What is a cessationist?"
Answer:
Cessationism is the view that the “miracle gifts” of tongues and healing have ceased—that the end of the apostolic age brought about a cessation of the miracles associated with that age. Most cessationists believe that, while God can and still does perform miracles today, the Holy Spirit no longer uses individuals to perform miraculous signs. .....

Question: "What is continuationism? What is a continuationist?"
Answer: Continuationism is the belief that all the spiritual gifts, including healings, tongues, and miracles, are still in operation today, just as they were in the days of the early church. A continuationist believes that the spiritual gifts have “continued” unabated since the Day of Pentecost and that the demonstration of “signs, wonders, and miracles” (2 Corinthians 12:12), as witnessed in the apostolic era, should be a hallmark of today’s church as well......

Reactions: Lucian Hodoboc

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know why this thread is in the Christian Apologetics forum. What does this forum mean?
Christian Apologetics is the defense of Christian doctrine, but the term doesn't even hold true across denominations that call themselves Christian. When you get down to eternal considerations, its the proclamation of the gospel that has real power to save, while self justification of belief is an exercise in vanity that proves nothing and convinces no one of anything but the appologist's ability to argue. Overcoming intellectual barriers to truth does not convince of truth, but it's more challenging than a urination contest and at least as messy.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Christian Apologetics is the defense of Christian doctrine, but the term doesn't even hold true across denominations that call themselves Christian. When you get down to eternal considerations, its the proclamation of the gospel that has real power to save, while self justification of belief is an exercise in vanity that proves nothing and convinces no one of anything but the appologist's ability to argue. Overcoming intellectual barriers to truth does not convince of truth, but it's more challenging than a urination contest and at least as messy.

:D

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not big on 'isms...so I had to look them up.

But it would appear to be a ridiculous question - of course the gifts of the Holy Spirit continue...these are the days of which it is written: "I will pour out My spirit on all flesh."
I haven't done that. It would be nice if the writer of the OP would provide his definition of the words. I might guess at their meaning, but I really do not know.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@amadeus .
...look at the post #11 it gives the definitions :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guess what? I am a tongue talker from way back, but not from before it ceased. Unless I am way out of order tongue talking has not ceased. I do not believe that I am.

I pray each to the Lord. Sometimes I pray in English, but I always pray in an unknown tongue because I don't want to leave out anything important due to of my own poor memory.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guess what? I am a tongue talker from way back, but not from before it ceased. Unless I am way out of order tongue talking has not ceased. I do not believe that I am.

I pray each to the Lord. Sometimes I pray in English, but I always pray in an unknown tongue because I don't want to leave out anything important due to of my own poor memory.
Cool. Tongues is the official sign of Christ's church, that of the body receiving words by the spirit of God, just as Peter came to know that Jesus is the Son of God. Such gifts were to be evident throughout the church age.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Cool. Tongues is the official sign of Christ's church, that of the body receiving words by the spirit of God, just as Peter came to know that Jesus is the Son of God. Such gifts were to be evident throughout the church age.

not at all - here you say Peter alone which is correct but elsewhere you say 'all flesh' - even witch doctors and red indian medicine men babel in tongues and perform miracles of healing and also hypnotists - but it is not understood or properly grasped and understood that even Jesus could not perform miracles or healing and when He did it goes unnoticed that He said 'go thy faith has made they whole' = physician heal thyself - twinc