Christ Saved Us... What Do Good Works Do?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Our spiritual food is something of the divine life. In John 6:63, the Lord Jesus said: “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words which I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.” Since the Lord's words are spirit and life, they can feed us

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope

I never stated a believer was sinless. You attributed that to me..
Anyway, since you're on my thread, please interact with the views I have already laid out. I'm not indebted to interact with your views. If you want to express yourself, you can make your own thread.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry, But Paul taught a new believer will change,, James agreed by calling out those who claimed to be believers but did nto change were fake believers.

Paul taught what Jesus did, that we will never perish but we will live forever.

The church you speak of taught non of these things..
I've already covered this material in earlier posts. If you would like to differ, you can cite where I said something you differ with and explain why. I've already cited 1 Co 10, Ro 2, Gal 6, etc.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope..

A christian can do good works. yet still fail to serve others. which is sin.

You do not get to determine what people said my friend. Thats arrogant.. and will quickly end all forms of communication.. Humble yourself..
Right, so you agree with me that good works aren't an automatic by product of salvation.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup, justified by grace through faith, and yet if you don't remain in faith, but do things you doubt, you are not justified but condemned (Ro 14:23), and, at the end, there will be another judgment at which only doers of good will be justified (Ro 2).

The difference between us is I try to believe the whole Bible.
That's a little hard isn't it when you have everything from works to Predestination supported in those 66 books?
And how those 66 books have morphed some into their personal exegesis' leading them to defend, almost to the death, as it were their preterist views.... among many others.

I too believe the whole bible.... and the defense of those parts that many would simply call analogies... inclusive of a worldwide flood... (Creation will be left out of this.)

Believing the whole bible is wonderful and admired so long as one can definitively support their view and not allow their own eisegesis to lead their interpretation of his own studies and ideas of the text, making it mean whatever he wants.

Funny thing is... I had no doubts ever on where I would be when my library card expires... UNTIL...
I happened upon a Christian Forum some 15 years ago.... and then my eyes were opened to some of the most idiotic ideas... such as the one fellow who claimed to believe in the shed blood of Christ BUT was very distressed that he would go on after he died.

AH another belief claimed to be from the bible.... eternal hell punishment or just ceasing to existtipping_hat_smiley.gif

Anyway... this fellow just wanted to believe in Jesus and worship him but when his time comes he just wants to cease to exist. Was an interesting time. Dont want to go there again.

Now I still have no doubts but wonder how so many can skew what the meaning of the word is, is.

Or eic when some transliterate it into (no pun intended) eis.

But while you are in your beliefs... perhaps you can actually explain ... if you were talking to a new Christian what is meant by works.....

I have asked many and no one can definitively give any examples

I do not call it a good work when the other day I had blood work done and when I came to the parking lot. a lady who was using a walker was going to put it into her trunk... and I offered to do that for her.

So how about giving us all a lesson on what that means cause maybe we all do them with no reward expected....

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:1-4
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you[a] free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

The 'counterfeit Christians' are the ones who do not believe this.

Posted by another member on another topic....so very true!.. @Pearl posted it.
Already addressed

This perspective is also the only way to reconcile "no condemnation for those in Christ [in Whom there is no sin (1 Jn 3:5)]" (Ro 8:1) with the fact that there is "condemnation" for the believer who "sins" by doing what he doubts (Ro 14:5,23): by infracting the second table of the *singular twofold* "Law of Faith", the believer isn't "abiding" in Christ (1 Jn 2:28), but is led away by some form of idolatry (1 Jn 5:21), whether it is the "Galatian" idolatry ("this persuasion doesn't come from Him Who calls you" (Gal 5:8) means the "false Gospel" is a "doctrine of demons" (1 Ti 4:1), and "the idols the nations worship are demons" (Dt 32:16,17; 1 Co 10:20), resulting in them "deserting Him Who calls you in the grace of Christ" (Gal 1:6; 1 Jn 2:28)) or any other form of idolatry (ie, selfishness--"no covetous man, who is an idolater" (Ep 5:5)).

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I do not agree with you.

once again, like you always do. You prove you can not understand what other people say. so you slander them with something false.
Paul commands "present your members to God as instruments for righteousness" (Ro 6:14), and commands "obey" (Php 2:12,13).

A command is not given when the thing is already being done, so, no, I can't agree that good works are a by-product of salvation. Even Christ had to pray about a decision to obey God--He didn't automatically obey God, He had to deny Himself "let this cup pass from Me, yet not My will but Yours be done"

I think your point, anyway, is that "works don't save, they prove we're saved, because while it's true we must do good works, we do them because we're saved".
If so, I've already addressed this, as well : 1 Co 9:26-1 Co 10 shows that the saved can lose salvation through sin, Gal 6:6-10 says doers of good will reap eternal life if they don't growth weary, Ro 2 says the Christian Jews in the Roman Church are storing up wrath for themselves by their stubborn Impenitence, Ro 8:12, 13 says if Christians don't walk after the Spirit, but after the flesh, they will die and not live.

Because of these passages, sorry, I can't believe as you do.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul commands "present your members to God as instruments for righteousness" (Ro 6:14), and commands "obey" (Php 2:12,13).

A command is not given when the thing is already being done, so, no, I can't agree that good works are a by-product of salvation. Even Christ had to pray about a decision to obey God--He didn't automatically obey God, He had to deny Himself "let this cup pass from Me, yet not My will but Yours be done"

I think your point, anyway, is that "works don't save, they prove we're saved, because while it's true we must do good works, we do them because we're saved".
If so, I've already addressed this, as well : 1 Co 9:26-1 Co 10 shows that the saved can lose salvation through sin, Gal 6:6-10 says doers of good will reap eternal life if they don't growth weary, Ro 2 says the Christian Jews in the Roman Church are storing up wrath for themselves by their stubborn Impenitence, Ro 8:12, 13 says if Christians don't walk after the Spirit, but after the flesh, they will die and not live.

Because of these passages, sorry, I can't believe as you do.
so you teach we are under law not under grace.

thank you. Thats good to know

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You remain under the delusion that "repay each person according to his deeds" means each person will receive eternal life based on the merits of his good deeds and earn eternal life. Elsewhere in scripture, the apostle Paul said: Romans 4:4 - Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

Paul also said that we are saved by grace through faith, not works. (Ephesians 2:8,9) He also said that it was not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us.. Furthermore, he said that God saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began. (1 Timothy 1:9) So you have some rethinking to do.

Jude 1:5 - Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. That is the heart of the issue of being an idolater which is descriptive of the unrighteous in 1 Corinthians 6.

That is a lie. More slander on your part. It absolutely is an issue of not inheriting the kingdom of God for the unrighteous and I never said otherwise. You need to stop with the false accusations.

Oh, the irony! Your true colors are really showing now, and I hope you realize that slander is sin and slanderers are mentioned alongside of haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil in Romans 1:30. Through your continued slanderous remarks, you just exposed your heart. (Luke 6:45)
Again, nothing but noise: I cite one passage, you cite another. My project is believing ALL of it, not just one or the other.

I can affirm the verses you cited, but you can't affirm the verses I've cited. That's the difference between us.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you teach we are under law not under grace.

thank you. Thats good to know
No, (I think you were complaining that I was "slandering" people and here you are "slandering" me lol): your issue is you don't understand what "under Law" means. I deny we are under Law.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a little hard isn't it when you have everything from works to Predestination supported in those 66 books?
And how those 66 books have morphed some into their personal exegesis' leading them to defend, almost to the death, as it were their preterist views.... among many others.

I too believe the whole bible.... and the defense of those parts that many would simply call analogies... inclusive of a worldwide flood... (Creation will be left out of this.)

Believing the whole bible is wonderful and admired so long as one can definitively support their view and not allow their own eisegesis to lead their interpretation of his own studies and ideas of the text, making it mean whatever he wants.

Funny thing is... I had no doubts ever on where I would be when my library card expires... UNTIL...
I happened upon a Christian Forum some 15 years ago.... and then my eyes were opened to some of the most idiotic ideas... such as the one fellow who claimed to believe in the shed blood of Christ BUT was very distressed that he would go on after he died.

AH another belief claimed to be from the bible.... eternal hell punishment or just ceasing to existView attachment 37385

Anyway... this fellow just wanted to believe in Jesus and worship him but when his time comes he just wants to cease to exist. Was an interesting time. Dont want to go there again.

Now I still have no doubts but wonder how so many can skew what the meaning of the word is, is.

Or eic when some transliterate it into (no pun intended) eis.

But while you are in your beliefs... perhaps you can actually explain ... if you were talking to a new Christian what is meant by works.....

I have asked many and no one can definitively give any examples

I do not call it a good work when the other day I had blood work done and when I came to the parking lot. a lady who was using a walker was going to put it into her trunk... and I offered to do that for her.

So how about giving us all a lesson on what that means cause maybe we all do them with no reward expected....

Romans 1 :16,17 God's righteousness is revealed from faith to faith
Romans 14:5 Let every man be fully convinced in his own mind
Romans 14:23 anything that is not from faith is sin

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, nothing but noise: I cite one passage, you cite another. My project is believing ALL of it, not just one or the other.

I can affirm the verses you cited, but you can't affirm the verses I've cited. That's the difference between us.
I properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching my conclusion on doctrine. I believe all of it. You isolate pet verses and interpret them through the lens of your biased, preconceived beliefs then try to force the rest of scripture to conform to your biased, preconceived beliefs. You don't believe all of it.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching my conclusion on doctrine. I believe all of it. You isolate pet verses and interpret them through the lens of your biased, preconceived beliefs then try to force the rest of scripture to conform to your biased, preconceived beliefs. You don't believe all of it.
In Jesus Name ...Amen!!....100% agree..imo.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, actually, you just got done calling Romans 2:6-16 which explicitly teaches "eternal life will be repaid doers of good".a "delusion", because of what some other verse said. Lol

I recognize the fact that eternal life is a gift received through faith, but I also recognize that continuing in it is due to walking in faith--eg, as Paul warns "whoever disregards this disregards not man but God Who gives you His Spirit", because only those who obey Christ abide in Him (His command : believe on the Name of God's Son, and love one another) and are supplied with the eternal life/Spirit that is in Him (1 Jn 3:23,24; 1 Jn 5:11).

This is why "there is no condemnation or those in Christ", yet believers who do not walk by faith, but do what they doubt, are "condemned" (Ro 14:23): They're not abiding in Christ by obeying, so they're not qualifying for the "no condemnation" .

So, yes, I believe it all--that's my intention, anyway.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, actually, you just got done calling Romans 2:6-16 which explicitly teaches "eternal life will be repaid doers of good".a "delusion", because of what some other verse said. Lol

I recognize the fact that eternal life is a gift through faith, but I also believe that continuing in it is due to walking in faith--as Paul warns "whoever disregards this command disregards not man but God Who gives you His Spirit", because only those who obey Christ abide in Him (His command : believe on the Name of God's Son, and love one another) and are supplied with the eternal life/Spirit that is in Him (1 Jn 3:23,24; Jn 5:11).

This is why "there is no condemnation or those in Christ", yet believers who do not walk by faith, but do what they doubt, are "condemned" (Ro 14:23): They're not abiding in Christ by obeying, so they're not qualifying for the "no condemnation" .
You simply misinterpreted Romans 2:6-16 because you teach works salvation. Perverting the gospel is neither walking by faith or abiding in Christ. You call Christians on this board names, including liar, which is not an example of loving one another either.

Status
Not open for further replies.