Christians and the Law of Moses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Commandments ? Jesus left us with only TWO....”Believe and Love”. I John 3:23.....

Matthew 19:17-19 (KJV)
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Sure does look like the 10 commandments to me

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

We read that love is the fulfilling of the law. Paul tells us explicitly what law that is...
KJV Romans 13
Love One Another
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read that love is the fulfilling of the law. Paul tells us explicitly what law that is...
KJV Romans 13
Love One Another
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Your tryin to tell me we need not keep Gods 10 commandments because we are givin a new testament commandment “to love one another”. Thing is the new testament scriptures tell us how to “love one another”.

1JOHN 5 [2] By this WE KNOW THAT WE LOVE THE CHILDREN OF GOD, when we love God, and keep his commandments. [3] For THIS IS THE LOVE OF GOD, THAT WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: and his commandments are not grievous.

To love the children of God, we are to keep the commandments

2JOHN1 [5] And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that WE LOVE ONE ANOTHER.[6] And THIS IS LOVE, THAT WE WALK AFTER HIS COMMANDMENTS. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Love one another. Keep the commandments

JAMES 2 [8] If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF, ye do well: [9] But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[11] For he that said, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, said also, DO NOT KILL. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

ROMANS 13 [8] Owe no man any thing, but to LOVE ONE ANOTHER: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.[9] For this, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT KILL, THOU SHALT NOT STEAL, THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.[10] Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

I decided to show the scripture of James 2 and Romans 13 which explain to us how we are to show our love for one another because im sure the next thing i hear is that it is not the 10 commandments being mentioned. But as you can see in these scriptures, adultry killing, stealing, bearing false witness, covetness are mentioned. And im guessing i will next hear you say that since the “keeping of the sabbath” is not mentioned or “thou shalt have no other gods before me" is not mentioned these commandments can be ignored.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, Galatians 2:16, Romans 3:20 tell us that no one can be justified by law-keeping; but that a man is only justified through the faith of Jesus Christ...which I will translate as appropriating His shed blood to your life by faith.

Most assuredly, if a person is redeemed through faith alone in Jesus Christ alone (even through His shed blood), it will produce a change of life and character.

For we receive the Holy Spirit by faith (Galatians 3:14); and the love of God through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5).

And this love is practical (1 John 3:17-18) and the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

However, it is in this order: faith --> justification --> obedience.

Not in this order: faith --> obedience --> justification.

For the latter model would indicate salvation by works / obedience / performance / law-keeping.

A man is justified and made righteous so that he can receive the Holy Spirit. Then he bears the fruit of the Holy Spirit. And there is no law against bearing the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Therefore the one who bears the fruit of the Spirit will not be violating any law in his or her behaviour.

But the righteousness given does not come through attempting to obey a set of do's and don'ts. It comes through receiving the Holy Spirit by faith; and then walking according to the Spirit, also by faith (see 2 Corinthians 5:7).

It is first imputed and then imparted.

We are given the identity of "righteous", even though we are ungodly (Romans 4:5), because of our faith in Jesus Christ.

The exhortation from there is to go and live like your new identity (1 John 3:7, Romans 5:19, Matthew 5:6).

Reactions: Brakelite

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. Let me ask you a question. How is God going to judge if you have loved or not? By what standard is He going to judge you by?

Pauli said that “ We All will be Judged according to MY Gospel”.....That would be 1Cor 15:1-4..... Did you Believe that Jesus died for your Sins?.....Did you Believe That He Rose from the Dead? Faith in the Gospel is what Saves a person......Not by reaching some Standard of Love ....If That is the case, It would not be a problem for God.....God has been looking inside hearts for many, many years....He knows who Loves and those that just “ Act” like they Love......

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, our justification is by faith. It is in this order:

faith --> justification --> obedience.

We receive the Holy Spirit by faith (Galatians 3:14) and the love of God through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5).

This love is practical (1 John 3:17-18) and is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

But justification comes at the same time that we receive the Holy Spirit; before there is any obedience associated with the love that is given.

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pauli said that “ We All will be Judged according to MY Gospel”.....That would be 1Cor 15:1-4.....

You capitalized MY. Doesnt even say that. What it does say is "according to the scriptures: ". In fact two times. Do you believe Christ was buried for 3 days and 3 nights? That he rose from the dead on a saturday sundown. Not a sunday morning.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (KJV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You capitalized MY. Doesnt even say that. What it does say is "according to the scriptures: ". In fact two times. Do you believe Christ was buried for 3 days and 3 nights? That he rose from the dead on a saturday sundown. Not a sunday morning.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (KJV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Romans 2:16.....In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to MY gospel....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 2:16.....In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to MY gospel....

Paul’s “My Gospel”
<< ARTICLE INDEX |p
TWITTERFACEBOOK
|
PRINT PAGE
By Justin Johnson
If Paul taught the same gospel as those before him, then why did he call it “my gospel” three times?

Paul uses both phrases “the gospel” and “our gospel” in his epistles, but when Paul mentions “my gospel” it shows that he had a unique message.

My Gospel: to Jew and Gentile

Paul’s gospel made no distinction between Jew or Gentile. All are counted in unbelief as sinners, and are judged by God without respect of persons whether given the law or not.

Therefore, Paul says:

“In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.” – Romans 2:16

During time past, Jesus’ earthly ministry, and up to his encounter with the Roman, Cornelius, there was a distinction between Jew and Gentile in Peter’s ministry preaching. The Jews had a special spiritual standing with the Lord. Gentiles did not.

My Gospel to Stablish

Paul says “my gospel” is how God stablishes the Romans.

“Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began…” – Romans 16:25

To the Corinthians, Paul claims to be the masterbuilder who lays the foundation of the grace of God upon which other men build.

“According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon.” – 1 Corinthians 3:10

Resurrection According to My Gospel

Resurrection was a part of Jewish prophecy, Jesus foretold his own, and Peter preached the resurrection of Christ before Paul was saved. So how could Paul say this?

“Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:” – 2 Timothy 2:8

The fact of the resurrection was prophesied, and both Paul and the twelve taught it (1 Cor 15:11). However, the resurrection of Christ was preached by Peter as proof of his Messiahship, and assurance of the kingdom come.

Paul preached the resurrection of Christ as the means of salvation and sanctification for all humanity as part of a new creature, the church the Body of Christ.

Unique to Paul

Paul’s gospel message was entirely of Christ, and so Paul stands alone in calling it “the gospel of Christ” and “Christ’s gospel”, but that he also calls it “my gospel” can only be explained by the fact that Christ gave it first to Paul exclusively.

No one else in scripture could claim “my gospel”, nor can we. We learned the gospel from Paul’s writings, and the twelve apostles taught the same gospel as John the Baptist and of which the prophets spoke (Mark 1:4; Mark 1:15; Acts 3:19-21).

Paul repeatedly says that the dispensation of the grace of God was given to him (Eph 3:2; Eph 3:7; Col 1:25; Rom 15:15).

The Lord revealed to Paul a mystery kept secret since the world began (Rom 16:25; Eph 3:3). Paul was the chosen vessel of the Lord, appointed to the office of apostle of the Gentiles (Rom 11:13; 2 Tim 1:11).

A “dispensation of the gospel” was committed unto him (1 Cor 9:17). His gospel was not received by man, nor was it of man, but given to him first by the Lord (Gal 1:1; Gal 1:11). Even Peter had to learn that God had given Paul further information about God’s grace (Gal 2:9).

It was truly his gospel from Christ, and it was his responsibility to preach his gospel wherever he went.

“If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward…to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:” – Ephesian 3:2-9

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yep.....Jesus Earthly Ministry was “ In the Age Of Law” and Law is what He preached....The rich young ruler wanted to know what “HE” could do to merit Heaven.....If this self-Righteous Fool ( “ Yes....I have kept all of the Commandments since my youth! “ Yeah, right.....) Only Jesus ever kept the Commandments, and this guy wasn’t Him.The Ruler was no different than the billions throughout history who lived their entire lives in the “ Fools Paradise”.....That is the Satanic Paradise Where Those “ Without Ears to Hear and eyes to see” dwell....Their Hearts have not been opened to receive the Truth Of The Gospel ( That “ Truth” Being that they are hopeless and helpless and Wretched Sinners That MUST have a Savior! )
Jesus quoted Law because He knew what this man needed ....Not a “Congratulations for a Job Well Done”.....NOT more “ DO’S” for this man to be able go boast about! This Blind man needed to have his eyes opened......”Opened” to the Fact That He could not keep the Law.....He did not need more Law—— He needed JESUS!
Jesus was trying to burst the “self-righteous balloon” of a man who had been blinded by Satan and he knew Exactly how to do it......
Hopefully , in later years, this Ruler might come to his senses ( repent ) and see that his “performance in Law-Keeping” was a sad joke and the “ joke” was on him......Either this guy took God’s Way Of Salvation—— Trusting in the Gospel Of Grace Plus NOTHING—- or He did not stand a chance......Satan’s “ JOKE” of being “good enough” to merit Heaven by Trying ( and failing) to muster up an adequate performance before God is still alive and well—— don’t fall for Satan's Damnable Joke—- it really IS just like the Song says —- “ Nothing But The Blood Of Jesus”......God Bless....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yep.....Jesus Earthly Ministry was “ In the Age Of Law” and Law is what He preached....The rich young ruler wanted to know what “HE” could do to merit Heaven.....If this self-Righteous Fool ( “ Yes....I have kept all of the Commandments since my youth! “ Yeah, right.....) Only Jesus ever kept the Commandments, and this guy wasn’t Him.The Ruler was no different than the billions throughout history who lived their entire lives in the “ Fools Paradise”.....That is the Satanic Paradise Where Those “ Without Ears to Hear and eyes to see” dwell....Their Hearts have not been opened to receive the Truth Of The Gospel ( That “ Truth” Being that they are hopeless and helpless and Wretched Sinners That MUST have a Savior! )
Jesus quoted Law because He knew what this man needed ....Not a “Congratulations for a Job Well Done”.....NOT more “ DO’S” for this man to be able go boast about! This Blind man needed to have his eyes opened......”Opened” to the Fact That He could not keep the Law.....He did not need more Law—— He needed JESUS!
Jesus was trying to burst the “self-righteous balloon” of a man who had been blinded by Satan and he knew Exactly how to do it......
Hopefully , in later years, this Ruler might come to his senses ( repent ) and see that his “performance in Law-Keeping” was a sad joke and the “ joke” was on him......Either this guy took God’s Way Of Salvation—— Trusting in the Gospel Of Grace Plus NOTHING—- or He did not stand a chance......Satan’s “ JOKE” of being “good enough” to merit Heaven by Trying ( and failing) to muster up an adequate performance before God is still alive and well—— don’t fall for Satan's Damnable Joke—- it really IS just like the Song says —- “ Nothing But The Blood Of Jesus”......God Bless....
@Blood Bought 1953 It's refreshing in the book of Hebrews to remember that the law was changed (7.12) and what we now have is better than the law (7.19).

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So in order to be saved in the OT you needed to be obedient to all the commandments? The "age of the law"? But in the NT, you only need Jesus.... grace?

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Law of Moses has caused a lot of confusion among Christians and continues to do so. Some Christians believe that nothing within the Torah is applicable to them. Others go in the opposite direction and imagine that everything is still valid. And that is why it is necessary to understand how the Law of Moses applies (or does not apply) today to those who are under the New Covenant.

WHERE IS IT FOUND?

The Law of Moses is frequently referred to as the Torah, but it is only the last four books of the Torah which actually contain the Law. So we need to know what is written in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

HOW IS IT FOUND?

When we study those books we find that God’s commandments are interspersed with the history of the Israelites in the wilderness. So all the laws are not found in one place, neither are they all categorized neatly into their different components.

WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF THE LAW?

There are at least ten broad components to the Law of Moses. They are laws applicable to the:

1. Tabernacle (or temple) and its sacrifices and offerings
2. Levitical priesthood
3. Levites
4. Feasts (including harvests, tithes, feasts, festivals and holy days)
5. Covenants with Israel
6. Civil and military laws (including laws applicable to physical appearance, purification, Nazarites, marriage, inheritance, vows, numbering, battles, sieges, and spoils of war, kings, division of land, etc.)
7. Criminal laws or laws of justice (including usury) which frequently had the death penalty
8. Health and disease laws
9. Dietary laws, and
10. Moral and Spiritual laws (including the Ten Commandments)

THE TEN COMMANDMENT ARE ETERNAL
The Ten Commandments are based upon the absolute holiness and righteousness of God – the character of God. Since God does not change, those laws are eternal. While they were written on tablets of stone in the Old Covenant, they are written on hearts and minds by the Holy Spirit within the New Covenant. And they are summed up in the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love. So Christians are not lawless and devoid of the commandments of God. Indeed the Law of Love is even more stringent than the Law of Moses.

WHICH LAWS ARE NULL AND VOID

According to the epistle to the Hebrews, the laws pertaining to the tabernacle or temple, the Levitical priesthood, the Levities, the offerings and sacrifices, the feasts, festivals and holy days, as well as ceremonial observances, are all null and void. Other laws pertaining to Israel as a nation cannot be applied since the temple has been destroyed. So the only laws which are meaningful are the moral and spiritual laws.

WHICH LAWS ARE STILL VALID

According to Acts 15:28,29, the Holy Spirit has applied only four laws to the Church, and they primarily forbid the consumption of blood or meats sacrificed to idols. Fornication is also forbidden:
For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye [1] abstain from meats offered to idols, and [2] from blood, and [3] from things strangled, and [4] from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Thank you for the post as it sets out clearly one of the more controversial aspects of the scriptures. I realize not everyone would agree with what you have said but it gives us some concrete information for rational discussion which is always welcome.

The one aspect in particular that I try to get my head around is when people say that the 10 commandments are no longer valid. If that is the case, then it must be OK to murder. Mumble, mumble, mumble. Apart from the fact, the basis for dismissing the 10 commandments seems to be that we meet on Sunday, not the Sabbath so that negates all 10 commandments

That sounds like to me that we are trying to make scripture fit our theology rather than making our theology fit scripture. If you think about it, if we all kept the 10 commandments we would be living in paradise. The fact that we are not, is evident by the hell of a place that we have made planet earth and the fact that we are constantly at each other's throats.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Paul said the Law was good if one knew how to use it....I knew how to use it....I used it to show me I can’t keep it and I must have a Savior. Now That this has been accomplished, I’m done with ....let somebody else use it now so that they too can see themselves for the sinners that they are and get Saved.
Laws engraved on stone for everybody to read and memorize and try to obey aren’t bad— much better than nothing! It’s a shame that they could do no more than show Laws but had no POWER to help you obey them . That’s why Paul called them “ weak and useless”—- they had No Power to Save.I don’t want to be connected to anything weak and useless and does nothing but cause Sin to increase . I go where the “ Power” is at. Paul said that the Gospel Of 1cor15:1-4 is “ God’s Power” to Save....let’s trust in the Gospel to Save us and also trust in our New Hearts to guide us and do a better job of pleasing God than trying to obey rules carved in Stone......

I had my spiritual birth in 1953. Still going strong.

I remember a well knows minister who explained things this way. Under the Old Covenant, we were under the law as in Thou shalt not. Under the New Covenant, it is a promise. Because of your position in Christ you shall not....

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
YES!.......Christianity 101....
Stop being so combative and follow the conversation. You may learn something. The "no" I offered as a reply was to a question put to me by @BOWnQUIVER , as it seems to misunderstand my earlier response. So first, you've butted in on a conversation that was interpersonal, and second, your response above is meaningless in that context.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I had my spiritual birth in 1953. Still going strong.

I remember a well knows minister who explained things this way. Under the Old Covenant, we were under the law as in Thou shalt not. Under the New Covenant, it is a promise. Because of your position in Christ you shall not....
As per post #205 on this thread.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yup. It was given to the Jews BUT NOW

EPHES. 2 [11] Wherefore remember, that ye being IN TIME PAST GENTILES in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; [12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANTS OF PROMISE, having no hope, and without God in the world: [13] BUT NOW IN CHRIST JESUS ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. [14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

We {gentiles}were once STRANGERS from Gods covenants of promise, having no hope. BUT NOW in Christ, should we take hold of those covenants, we have hope

ISAIAH 56 [6] Also the sons of THE STRANGER, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one THAT KEEPETH THE SABBATH from polluting it, and TAKETH HOLD OF MY COVENANT; [7] EVEN THEM WILL I BRING TO MY HOLY MOUNTAIN, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for ALL PEOPLE.

Even them (us gentile STRANGERS mentioned in Ephes.2) will He bring to His holy mountain, if we should take hold of His sabbath covenant. Jesus will bring us to the 1000yr period of rest

EXODUS 31 [16] Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the SABBATH, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a PERPETUAL COVENANT.

The above scripture points to one of those covenants spoken of in Ephes.2

ROMANS 1 [30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, [31] without understanding, COVENANTBREAKERS, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: [32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

And you can see who Paul lumps in with the covenantbreakers. Not good company
You not SDA too, we retssin Christ because of what Christ done, the OT was all about works, teh flesh, teh NT is all about teh Spirit and grace, make your choice, only one gets you into heaven and its not teh first.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953