Coffee Shop (let's chat)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a powerful testimony. God has very much been talking to me this week about renewing my mind. I just hope it doesnt take something like that for me. I know God has been speaking to me loud and clear this week about renewing my mind...Thanks for sharing.

I always recommend just believing the Word, but if not, there's always my way! I seem to routinely get caught between God's hammer and anvil!

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just trying to understand that passage, because I don't want to run out of oil. My other thought were these weren't true believers.

Here's a little snippet from Oil as Symbol of God's Holy Spirit (Forerunner Commentary)
There are several scripture verses linking The Holy Spirit with oil. Perhaps the anointing of some special service where, The Holy Spirit's power is poured out on one of God's servants? I am not at all sure but, pretty good article :)

Matthew 25:7
"A lamp is trimmed when the wick is turned either up or down to regulate the amount of flame. If a lamp is empty of oil, it does not matter how much one trims it—the lamp will go out when the oil is consumed."

'Apparently, when events make it obvious Christ's return is immediate, the whole church wakes up in surprise. Its members get out their Bibles to find the answer to where Christ is waiting for them, but with the oil of the Holy Spirit producing only a dim light, they lack the spiritual insight to find Him. It is as though the foolish virgins are stumbling around in the dark trying to understand the Word of God, but they cannot.

At this point, the foolish are in a state of panic; they realize they cannot understand and do not have the faith to believe. They ask the wise for help in understanding"

His blessings!
nancy ♥

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you know what fixed me? Having a major panic attack, with a "chest stress injury", which, I learned, was a physical muscular-skeletal injury which "hurt" in the feeling of fear. And even a moment's apprehension sent fresh pain to my chest, and re-injured, keeping it tender.

After about a week of this - and, mind you, fear had pretty much characterized my entire life - after about a week I had realized that I wasn't getting better, had done some research, and knew what was going on. If I was to heal, I had to not be afraid. It took about 2 weeks to heal from that point, but by then I got the message. Fear is of the flesh, something the body does, and when ignored, goes away, and, when the mind is anchored in God, is not even there.

Much love!

Amen I like that ...not your pain( ;)) but the testimony.

It plagued me for about 60 years. I'd be a 'spiritual giant' one moment...walk on water for a month or two...then bam... Something threw me off centre and I'd have a panic attack. Id shake and shake. Dave used to hold me very very tight and rock me. The only thing that stopped it at that point was for the Holy Spirit to drop a scripture into my heart. ( Or Dave to pray over me and by the Spirit speak a scripture which zapped me ..and the shaking would stop.

Decades of that. I could lead people to the Lord, even cast out devils...and then bam, something would grip me and off I went one the merry go round again.

Then the content of the book broke the spirit of fear.
A hard taskmaster.

Thank you.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See, vs. 14 through 29 of the same chapter go into the parable of talents. I believe the two are related more I read about it. :) I believe the message is Christ wants us to grow and develop in our Christian walk, so that we gain the power of Christ in our Lives. Without that oil we do not see. We are lost... Oh snap!!! Praise God!!!

I wonder if all believers will be going to the marriage supper of the lamb. I don't know much about that subject and would like to study that next.
The Parable of the Ten Virgins

1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Luke 19:11-27)

14For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. 15And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. 16Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents. 17And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. 18But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

19After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. 20And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. 21His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

22He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. 23His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

24Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: 25And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

26His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: 27Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. 28Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

29For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. 30And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The Sheep and the Goats

31When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

King James Bible

Bible Commentary:

Matthew 25 Commentary - Adam Clarke Commentary

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a little snippet from Oil as Symbol of God's Holy Spirit (Forerunner Commentary)
There are several scripture verses linking The Holy Spirit with oil. Perhaps the anointing of some special service where, The Holy Spirit's power is poured out on one of God's servants? I am not at all sure but, pretty good article :)

Matthew 25:7
"A lamp is trimmed when the wick is turned either up or down to regulate the amount of flame. If a lamp is empty of oil, it does not matter how much one trims it—the lamp will go out when the oil is consumed."

'Apparently, when events make it obvious Christ's return is immediate, the whole church wakes up in surprise. Its members get out their Bibles to find the answer to where Christ is waiting for them, but with the oil of the Holy Spirit producing only a dim light, they lack the spiritual insight to find Him. It is as though the foolish virgins are stumbling around in the dark trying to understand the Word of God, but they cannot.

At this point, the foolish are in a state of panic; they realize they cannot understand and do not have the faith to believe. They ask the wise for help in understanding"

His blessings!
nancy ♥

Wow...I think I have been a foolish virgin before. I know how to study the Word. But I have been complacent and just googled other opinions, because it is easier then doing the work myself. We have ALL been there...I think the difference between the wise and foolish virgins though is when they got drowsy and fell asleep, they had studied enough to be able to use their spiritual insight, Holy Spirit power, to light their way to the banquet. On the other hand, the foolish gave so much without taking anything in, when it was time for them to need the oil, it was out.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It plagued me for about 60 years. I'd be a 'spiritual giant' one moment...walk on water for a month or two...then bam... Something threw me off centre and I'd have a panic attack. Id shake and shake. Dave used to hold me very very tight and rock me. The only thing that stopped it at that point was for the Holy Spirit to drop a scripture into my heart. ( Or Dave to pray over me and by the Spirit speak a scripture which zapped me ..and the shaking would stop.

Decades of that. I could lead people to the Lord, even cast out devils...and then bam, something would grip me and off I went one the merry go round again.

A hard taskmaster.

Thank you.

As a longtime fearer, then you know . . . what a different sort of life this is now!

:)

Much love!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basically do something with the Holy Spirit, or that will be taken away also.

So maybe there will be Christians in the Tribulation...if the Holy Spirit is taken from the earth, the foolish virgins would be left with the unbelievers, because that is basically how they have been acting.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow...I think I have been a foolish virgin before. I know how to study the Word. But I have been complacent and just googled other opinions, because it is easier then doing the work myself. We have ALL been there...I think the difference between the wise and foolish virgins though is when they got drowsy and fell asleep, they had studied enough to be able to use their spiritual insight, Holy Spirit power, to light their way to the banquet. On the other hand, the foolish gave so much without taking anything in, when it was time for them to need the oil, it was out.
I can't take any credit, one day some years ago, it was like God flipped a switch in my head, and I suddenly stopped reading anything except the Bible, and became immediately fascinated with learning all God said. He must have done that.

Much love!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As a longtime fearer, then you know . . . what a different sort of life this is now!

:)

Much love!

AMEN!!!
A Mighty Deliverance. :)

A few times 'back then' I got free by shouting ..."Oh just go away you are nothing but a stupid spirit".

It came like a black cloud descending on me, and when it left it was a total freedom ( until the next time) But...no more. :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A hard taskmaster.

Thank you.

Wow. Confirmation after confirmation. :) Thanks for discussing with me y'all. The trick now is to remember things like this. Not forget and go back to sleep...get reserve oil for my lamp while there is still time. Because the time really is close.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose everyone has a story of their Journey. Their ups their downs, and when they decided to make a decision with full intent.

I can never remember NOT believing. Mom said believe, so I did. But then, I can not say during that time, I had a relationship with the Lord either.

I was not raised in the Church, and Don't attend any Church. I have attended a few Churches, and wasn't impressed with the Pastors, or the "fashion shows" "entertainment", "gossip whispers", "outbursts"......

I tried to read the Bible, unknowing, I tried to read it like a Novel, of course that failed.
One day we decided to Study Laws, Fed and State Laws....WOW that was a shock...and Found we needed to Learn HOW TO Study. After that, we began to study the Law for several years....and then HELLO, applying the same Study techniques...decided to take on the Bible. We did that for about Five years, daily for hours.
AWESOME...we had FOUND "our Church"!!
Christ's Church. It didn't require particular clothes, entertainment, outbursts, gossip, a special room, etc.
A direct Line to the Lord...
Requires No phone, internet, cell towers....
(Pretty awesome for one of our daughters, who is Excellent at reading, and profoundly deaf...)
Just a Desire to know AND Understand.
Study, reading, bugging the Lord, tell us what this means. And wow oh wow, How the Lord is Awesome, Never disappoints to set before us what we ask and have need of and enough to give to others, short in needs and poor in spirit.

I know some are critical BECAUSE, I do not GO to a Man-made "Church". No issue with me, I ATTEND Church every day, no set times, no set room. And while we have our homestead out in the Sticks, we are not isolated and do travel frequently, and funny thing, People are everywhere to share the Gospel with. To me it is a pleasure, a good feeling of sorts, to strike up a short conversation to see if an other is open to speaking about the Lord. My experience is, and it matters not an others station in life, most people I speak with are Very Open to chat awhile about the Lord.
Even one day, back when we had a LANDLINE phone, had one of those annoying telemarketers from East India called, I said I was not interested, but would she be interested in hearing about Jesus Christ....she said Yes, and we were on the phone for over 30 minutes!
We've had our daughters deaf friends come to the house. My daughter all happy to see her friends, then they say, we are not here to play around we want to learn and talk about Jesus Christ!
Guess we all have our ways of walking on the path God has set before us. Praise and Glory He has given us the Directional Path and helps each one Along that their Journey be Fruitful and Glorify Him.

God Bless,
Taken

(PS ... yes "ByGrace"... I know it's a long post...LOL ;):D)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Parable of the Ten Virgins

1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Luke 19:11-27)

14For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. 15And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. 16Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents. 17And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. 18But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

19After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. 20And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. 21His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

22He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. 23His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

24Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: 25And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

26His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: 27Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. 28Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

29For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. 30And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The Sheep and the Goats

31When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

King James Bible

Bible Commentary:

Matthew 25 Commentary - Adam Clarke Commentary

That commentary is pretty interesting. I like how it breaks things down. I didn't read all of it, but I do like the part about the sleeping representing inactivity/not seeing the danger in it.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just feel the Spirit of the Lord moving in this thread. I know it is in me. :) I have put things over God. Gameboy, phone, even my own daughter. But I desperately need the oil to keep my lamp burning. And I want to renew my mind continually. So I can stay burning. God is so amazing and good for all He has done. He is still teaching and helping prepare us for shen He returns. To Help with every Spirit that tries to distract or hinder me in any way, in Jesus Name!

By Grace, stupid spirit not of God. :D I laughed out loud when you said that.

Reactions: Helen

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tried to read the Bible, unknowing, I tried to read it like a Novel, of course that failed.
One day we decided to Study Laws, Fed and State Laws....WOW that was a shock...and Found we needed to Learn HOW TO Study. After that, we began to study the Law for several years....and then HELLO, applying the same Study techniques...decided to take on the Bible. We did that for about Five years, daily for hours.

When I made the conversion from atheism to Christianity, I had prayed the Sinner's prayer first and accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. After that, I felt the Holy Spirit guide me to the Word. After my conversion, I had been given a free NLT New Testament from the teacher of a new believer's class that my first church had sponsored. The teacher of that class told me to read and absorb the Word, and not to rush through it. I read through the gospels 4-5 times before moving on to Acts and the subsequent NT books. I felt the need to stay in the Gospels in order to learn the basics before moving on to the other books. After reading the NT, my wife bought an NLT study bible for me and I dove into the OT.

But don't beat yourself up for first reading it like a novel, @Taken. It sounds like you weren't given much guidance on reading/studying, but good on you for taking the initiative on reading the Bible, though! And look where you're at now!