Communication of our faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Amplified Bible:
Philemon 6, “I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective and powerful because of your accurate knowledge of every good thing which is ours in Christ.”

God wants the communication of our faith to become effectual by our acknowledgement of every good thing (not just one thing, but everything) that is in us.

In other words, God wants us to know what has been given to us by Him, and acknowledge it. Because if we don’t know what is in us that is from Him, then we will be looking at and focusing on the worst things, the bad side, the things that are not going well, our weaknesses, our failures.

It is not wrong to notice the difficulties of life. But we must realize that a preoccupation with only the bad things will eventually lead us to a diminishing of our faith or unbelief. Rather, we should embrace His word to gain an accurate knowledge of who we are in Christ.

Speaking verses about ourselves is edifying, but using recitation for the wrong reasons can lead to exasperation, anger and a root of bitterness.

One of the phrases I used to hear while among WOF adherents was "confession leads to possession." In other words, if you say anything long enough, it will come to pass. That led me to believe, as I heard so many times. that I could speak anything I imagined into existence. We know this is not so.

Nevertheless, many believers have needs they desire so earnestly, that they will adopt methodologies that promise to meet that craving. One of those was the daily repetitive recitation of Scriptures, often written and hung on walls, mirrors and refrigerator doors, that we were told would lead to obtaining the item desired. That thing might be a car, a spouse, a new guitar, a job promotion, wealth, whatever comes to mind.

Quoting, in itself, is not wrong or bad, for it is a great way to memorize Scripture. But if it is being used to force God's hand to give you what you desire to consume upon your lusts (James 4:3), it is nothing more than a method, technique or formula. Failure and frustration is often the end to that scheme.

Reactions: marks and Pearl

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Preach the gospel always...and if necessary use words" Francis of Assissi

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the phrases I used to hear while among WOF adherents was "confession leads to possession." In other words, if you say anything long enough, it will come to pass. That led me to believe, as I heard so many times. that I could speak anything I imagined into existence. We know this is not so.

Hi Hope in God,

Interestingly, before I was a Christian, I was very "new age" in my beliefs. And we had a belief, that actually "Seemed" to happen, that we could speak/will things into existence. It worked! Obviously demonic.

We truly must know the reality of what God has actually done for and to us.

Nevertheless, many believers have needs they desire so earnestly, that they will adopt methodologies that promise to meet that craving.

This seems to be widespread, and speaks towards not dying to one's self. If we can let go of all self-ambition, only to know our Savior, then all else comes. We don't have to grasp at things, God brings all good.

I guess we sometimes may want to force things ourselves, and not just wait on God, knowing He knows best.

Much love!

Reactions: Hope in God

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Hope in God,

Interestingly, before I was a Christian, I was very "new age" in my beliefs. And we had a belief, that actually "Seemed" to happen, that we could speak/will things into existence. It worked! Obviously demonic.

We truly must know the reality of what God has actually done for and to us.

This seems to be widespread, and speaks towards not dying to one's self. If we can let go of all self-ambition, only to know our Savior, then all else comes. We don't have to grasp at things, God brings all good.

I guess we sometimes may want to force things ourselves, and not just wait on God, knowing He knows best.

Much love!
I was saved in '72, back when free love was the "liberating" start of the secular sexual revolution. Young men and women, at that time, got saved, and we met in houses. There was a large amount of discussion among the men, as well as the women. about finding someone to marry before they burned to death in their lusts. Both sexes were walking up to whoever they felt God was telling them was to be their spouse announcing exactly that. At least one couple, to this day, remains married. I knew very little about dating, even at age 19, and shied away from coupling, while others were aching for a partner.

My reluctance did one thing for me, however. It kept me singleminded in regard to my academic aspirations. One thing I did confess repeatedly was for healing, as I have had health issues since age 14. I lived only steps away from the beach which I frequently walked for miles, praying, confessing, rebuking the devil, and nothing ever manifested health-wise. It wasn't until I graduated, stumbled into a decent job, gained healthcare, and saw doctors that some progress was made.

Reactions: marks