Critical thinking and education is linked to loss of faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Decontructionism at its worst. The whole Bible says that - just not in so many words. Chapters 4.1-5.13 of the Book of Leviticus presents the first of three speeches[10] of God to Moses that outlines laws concerning the "ḥata't" or purification offering. In Leviticus 4:2 (CEV)
The Lord told Moses 2 to say to the community of Israel:

Offer a sacrifice to ask forgiveness when you sin by accidentally doing something I have told you not to do.

Consider also Isaiah 53 and the suffering servant at v 5 (CEV)
'He was wounded and crushed
because of our sins;
by taking our punishment,
he made us completely well.
The Qu’ran also talks about sacrifice. I think you need a Muslim to shove this verse down your throat so you can see how it feels
1675192882304.jpeg

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
My. My. Getting touchy. Atheists DO assert something came from nothing. It's called the Big Bang Theory.

It's funny to see you not take credit for all Atheists but want specific Christians to take credit for all religions.

I've pointed out the cowardice on this point before.

And life? The origins of life? Is “I don’t know” your enlightened answer to that also?

And what about the informational content in the molecules of DNA? How did this information get put into the very matter which makes us up? Is “I don’t know” your enlightened answer to that also?
Saying that atheists assert something came from nothing doesn’t make it so. I don’t take credit for all atheists because I don’t agree with all atheists but…we have a common goal.

The answer to how informational content got put into our DNA is “I don’t know, we may or may not find out.” I don’t pretend to be an arrogant know it all such as yourself whose mind is compromised by magical thinking.

It’s not my problem that you’re too much of a coward to admit you don’t know because you’re scared of uncertainty.

Last edited:

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What is this common goal? What do you stand for?
Common goal is being free of religious bondage (believe x so you can be saved). And I’ve already told you what I stand for: I stand for critical thinking, wonder, mystery. The majority of people hate uncertainty because it terrifies them which is why belief in god is so appealing.

Listening to Christians talk sounds a lot like THEY are taking the position of God while pussyfooting around the Bible. They’re too afraid of condemning you directly so they hit you with the Bible over the head instead and claim that the Bible did it. Massive cowards they are. They talk down to you as if they are God while acting like they aren’t. It’s some sort of convoluted weird bragging where they profess that they know the absolute truth on one hand and then act as if they’re all broken and sinful on another.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Common goal is being free of religious bondage (believe x so you can be saved). And I’ve already told you what I stand for: I stand for critical thinking, wonder, mystery. The majority of people hate uncertainty because it terrifies them which is why belief in god is so appealing.

Listening to Christians talk sounds a lot like THEY are taking the position of God while pussyfooting around the Bible. They’re too afraid of condemning you directly so they hit you with the Bible over the head instead and claim that the Bible did it. Massive cowards they are. They talk down to you as if they are God while acting like they aren’t. It’s some sort of convoluted weird bragging where they profess that they know the absolute truth on one hand and then act as if they’re all broken and sinful on another.
you are aware that that is all encoded in the Bible right
i could literally restate every relevant phrase up there in Bible vv
i guess phrase one might be a disputed common goal tho narf

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Not touchy, just rebuking foolishness
havent got to that part about saying “fool” being in danger of hellfire yet huh
you know any new concept is gonna sound foolish at first…you might marinate on how Jesus clowned the religious of His day, while praising the atheist and the pagan

and you like OT right? you know No son of man may die for another’s sins is in there too
you think its been annulled?

What do you stand for?
Wrangler, the truth of the matter might just be that you seek blood bc you are a fearful/violent human, just like most of us are on some level, and that having come from that culture, the concept of someone being conscious of and having empathy with his immediate peers and anyone who falls into his orbit for no reason other than that it seems like the right thing to do seems hard to fathom.

to your question, what is the point of it, if i may ask?
i mean id prolly get all idealistic and lofty and lie anyway right
so i kinda dont get it
i mean, ask my peers maybe? tbh irdk what i actually stand for, but surely they would

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
“Only fools such as yourself would promote a con artist like Ken Ham”

and there it is
i mean you get the lite version bc interwebs, but try that irl
this concludes todays lesson on hellfire

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Common goal is being free of religious bondage (believe x so you can be saved). And I’ve already told you what I stand for: I stand for critical thinking, wonder, mystery.
You really don’t get it. ‘Freedom’ is a good means but not an end. Same thing with critical thinking.

Regarding Atheists standing for wonder and mystery, does that really differentiate you from other religions? How do you achieve and maintain this wonder and mystery?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to your question, what is the point of it, if i may ask?
i mean id prolly get all idealistic and lofty and lie anyway right
so i kinda dont get it
I appreciate your honest answer.

The point of the question - what do you stand for - is that it reveals what kind of man you are. On our death bed, we really ought to know why we lived, what purpose did our existence serve, what side of the battle are we on.

Being a big 7 Habits guy - Begin with The End In Mind - so I ask now. As Socrates said, the unexamined life is not worth living. Sad to know you have yet to examine your life and what you stand for.

The Good News is that there is still time. (Pun intended)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The point of the question - what do you stand for - is that it reveals what kind of man you are
seems like some meaningful platitudes would serve just fine in a forum, i mean how might you test any of the claims
On our death bed, we really ought to know why we lived, what purpose did our existence serve, what side of the battle are we on.
ought we?
not meaning to be obtuse, but what battle?
the battle is over, the victory is won

Sad to know you have yet to examine your life and what you stand for.
aw, well ty
for being sad, i mean
really nice of you
The Good News is that there is still time. (Pun intended)
maybe ill get it later? (pun intended)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You really don’t get it. ‘Freedom’ is a good means but not an end. Same thing with critical thinking.

Regarding Atheists standing for wonder and mystery, does that really differentiate you from other religions? How do you achieve and maintain this wonder and mystery?
you dont think maybe diff ppl standing for diff things might be a good idea?

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

There doesn’t have to be an end though. There doesn’t have to be an ultimate result or purpose to our existence. It’s only people afraid of that idea which is why they fabricate fairytales such as religion.

And how do I achieve and maintain wonder and mystery? I don’t really achieve it per se, as I see it as the inherent nature of existence. Meaning it’s forever a mystery and I’m forever limited in what I can know. I maintain it by continually asking questions, leaving room for “I don’t know”.

“I don’t know” though is a paradox. Because even though I don’t know the ultimate truth, I know that I don’t know. In other words, I don’t know the ultimate truth about life. But I do know that it’s a mystery.

And “I don’t know” is a place of neutrality. I don’t have to pour effort into affirming that there is a god or rejecting a god. My existence is effortless as a result, even in times where it appears I’m putting in a lot of effort such as writing this post.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he said, with unassailable confidence
sure ok, but also nothing changed, in a way
i mean you mostly Quote OT :)
So what that I most quoted the OT? The idea that God requires sacrifice is throughout the Bible. Obvious from Genesis to Leviticus, Isaiah and even NT Romans.

Nothing changed in a way, with the arrival of the Messiah? Then again, everything changed by those called by God with the arrival of the Messiah!

Yes, unassailable confidence comes from having received the Holy Spirit.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems like some meaningful platitudes would serve just fine in a forum, i mean how might you test any of the claims
The test comes AFTER you mature and take a stand.

ought we?
not meaning to be obtuse, but what battle?
the battle is over, the victory is won
What battle? Do you find nothing but peace everywhere you look in the world today?

maybe ill get it later? (pun intended)
No. It's what you get but what you give. The Bible says YOU must seek, ask and knock. You have the burden.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So what that I most quoted the OT? The idea that God requires sacrifice is throughout the Bible. Obvious from Genesis to Leviticus, Isaiah and even NT Romans.

Nothing changed in a way, with the arrival of the Messiah? Then again, everything changed by those called by God with the arrival of the Messiah!

Unassailable confidence in thinking an imaginary sky daddy is there to hold your hand due to how broken you are? Laughable.

You’re deeply indoctrinated…and I noticed that indoctrinating kids is part of Christianity which is why they believe in having many kids. It’s an idiocracy to keep the myth going.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The idea that God requires sacrifice is throughout the Bible
and then you woke up, no offense meant. Fwiw i believed all that tripe for about forty years myself. We desire sacrifice, maybe, sure
Obvious from Genesis to Leviticus, Isaiah and even NT Romans.
and yet you cannot Quote "God requires a blood sacrifice for your sins" one single time; what does that tell you?
lol, so go with that then, ok with me
but it might also be coming from somewhere else eh