Daring Death - a Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
if I knew it wouldn't send me to hell, there are ways out with 100% certainty - apart from counteracts of god.

I have a close friend who took pills three times. Every time someone found her and called 911..three times she had her stomach pumped.
She is a fine Christian, Spirit filled, loves the Lord...but was at that time totally miserable.
She saved up all her medication for her attempted suicides...she could never get it done.
One time their tiny dog picked up the empty bottle which had rolled off the bed, and ran into the living room hoping this lady's husband would play with it...obviously he immediately called 911.
There are no 100% guarantees when God is involved!!! He knows the number of your days.....each time this happened I'd say to her on the phone ( she moved far away) "What were you thinking?!! For heaven sake...you could have just been left a vegetable drooling in a wheelchair."
Her answer was..." People who do this are NOT thinking clearly...we get to the place of not caring, so we don't 'think it through'....I just wanted to be happy and with the Lord."

Praying for you 'John Brown.'

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the beginning of this thread a person in need laid out their situation with a hope to not only get some answers, but also some support from true believers. I will Pray for you John, for Body, Soul, and Spirit. as far as Suicide, thou shall not commit Murder, murder is a premeditated action. when someone contemplates Suicide, he or she premeditates the taking of their own life, which is Premeditated self murder. Truth! Sagula is a Hebrew word that means that God holds you in his hands- like one would hold water, cupped as if He was holding a treasure that He won't let go of, cherished to Him! try to set your mind on this concept, for all of His, He holds fast to in this way. May God Bless You and Keep You, May God Make His Face To Shine Upon You And Be Gracious, May God Lift Up His Countenance Upon You And Give You Peace, In The Name Of Yeshua {Jesus} The Prince Of Peace, Amen

John Brown

Jul 13, 2017
Orlando
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the beginning of this thread a person in need laid out their situation with a hope to not only get some answers,

yeah, I wasn't sure I'd come back when it turned into clowns debating health-wealth heresy... as if that's appropriate now.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
pills require precision; it's not surprising she failed.

John,

What is your relationship with Jesus? Was there a point in your life where you responded in faith to the Gospel message and you were born again? Have you continued living in that relationship with God? Are you receiving fellowship and assistance through a local church.

In spite of your disability, have you continued to trust God for your life and death?

I write as a person with a disability. There have been moments when I didn't want to live and planned suicide, but I knew it would be wrong to go against God's will in taking my life.

You may gain some insight from my articles:
Voluntary Active Euthanasia – a Compassionate Solution to Those in Pain?

Euthanasia: Mercy or Murder?

The fear of God

Oz

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that this is about someone looking for answers, with other needs. this is a statement with a point, Christians try like crazy to convert Jews, by telling them that they won't get to Heaven unless they except Jesus!! so the Jewish man say's, do you mean that my Grandparents, and my Great Grandparents will burn in Hell? and the Christian reply's Yes! Who knows the Mind of God or Christ, to make that Judgment. there is only ONE who will decide the fate of people!!! I know that I am not worthy to Sit on that Great White Throne of Judgement. Take heed to how we judge, for we will be judged likewise.

Reactions: aspen

John Brown

Jul 13, 2017
Orlando
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John,

1 What is your relationship with Jesus? Was there a point in your life where you responded in faith to the Gospel message and you were born again?
2 Have you continued living in that relationship with God?
3 Are you receiving fellowship and assistance through a local church.
4 In spite of your disability, have you continued to trust God for your life and death?

I write as a person with a disability. There have been moments when I didn't want to live and planned suicide, but I knew it would be wrong to go against God's will in taking my life.

You may gain some insight from my articles:
Voluntary Active Euthanasia – a Compassionate Solution to Those in Pain?

Euthanasia: Mercy or Murder?

The fear of God

Oz

1-yes
2-hard to say, which makes #1 questionable in hindsight.
3-was going to church 3 times a week. but now, with what happened in the last few days - I've given up. I don't want anyone around, I just want to sleep.
4-I don't follow.

but no one has really addressed my question - whether I can dare death or not. :\

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You can dare death and do whatever you like...God leaves us free to do whatever we want to do..but there is a law of sewing and reaping.
Whatever you do, pills , or otherwise, *only God knows the outcome.
No one here can
guarantee you the outcome that you seem to be wanting.

No one here is going to say ..."yep, you will be happy then..just go ahead." None of us here have that much spiritual authority over your life.
Sorry that we
aren't giving you the answer that you want.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but no one has really addressed my question - whether I can dare death or not. :\

If you want to test God this way, then knock yourself out. I can't in all honesty tell you no because I've never been in your situation. You can call it "death daring" if you want, its still like committing suicide regardless. How exactly do you plan on making this happen? Do you want to shoot it out with the pigs in the hopes that they pump you full of hot lead? Whats the plan here? Whatever it is you think you're going to do, I would seriously consider the following alternative, because it seems like you care too much about your own life and others, putting too much of a burden on yourself.

(1 Peter 5:5-10) "Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. {6} Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: {7} Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. {8} Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: {9} Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. {10} But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
nice. i might point out that Gehenna is on earth, whereas even that concept of hell in some afterlife is not.

i think our definition of "eternal life" is skewed tbh, because we fear for the "i" as we know it, and wonder what its future will be; when it is the part that is fallen and separate from God. And so "i" can actually rest assured in the fact that "i" will not end up anything like i might imagine, i guess we will even have a different name. But see i am all worried about whether i will go to heaven or hell after i die. iii. lol.

when it is i that has to die in order to get a new name. i can't get a new name if i don't die (to self)
no matter how religious i am

anyway, Tartarus, Hades, these are all Greek gods, why are they in the Bible you think?
funny to me that Gehenna, the only one on earth, is also the only one whose root, Hinnom, has no definition derivable from the name, whereas the others are well known

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
A person who smokes then asks for healing . God is not looking at them the way you do. He loves them and knows there lost condiction. His love runs way deeper than your shallow thinking does. This is not tempting testing God

FWIW: As a smoker, fully knowing the risks of smoking, I have to agree with Groper and Job in this instance. While I think smoking is not the best of examples, for the purposes of this, it is good enough. For in reading this thread, "do not tempt" was exactly what passed through my mind.

Jesus could have thrown himself down, but he knew better.

Sword also has a point though. For let's say that someone smoked all their life and then came to know Christ. In such an instant as that, I agree with Sword.

However for such as myself, one who has repeatedly ignored all the warnings regarding such, I would have no right to expect to be healed. To continue to smoke and think, "Oh, God will just heal me", would in my opinion be to test / tempt.

We have to consider the variables in each case, for not every case is the same.

Just my 1/2 cent.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
it's the only thing of importance stopping me.
it's depressing to be stuck in life just because of this possibility.

if someone could *prove* to me that I wouldn't go to hell, I'd start working toward that objective.
Its not about your works or mine its about His finnised work, pilipian jailer said what must I do to ne saved. Peter said believe in the lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have learned: God chooses how and when we die - no method can change this.

In the meantime, we are called to love through all diversity. I needed to start with myself
Not true we can shorten or lenthen out lives. God knows when and how but He does not chosse it thats not in scripture.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
FWIW: As a smoker, fully knowing the risks of smoking, I have to agree with Groper and Job in this instance. While I think smoking is not the best of examples, for the purposes of this, it is good enough. For in reading this thread, "do not tempt" was exactly what passed through my mind.

Jesus could have thrown himself down, but he knew better.

Sword also has a point though. For let's say that someone smoked all their life and then came to know Christ. In such an instant as that, I agree with Sword.

However for such as myself, one who has repeatedly ignored all the warnings regarding such, I would have no right to expect to be healed. To continue to smoke and think, "Oh, God will just heal me", would in my opinion be to test / tempt.

We have to consider the variables in each case, for not every case is the same.

Just my 1/2 cent.

So if God is better than us? Who here would let there child die of cancer just because they knew what they were doing when they started smoking an a ddiction btw. If you had the ability to set them free you are telling me you would let them die. That would be completly wicked. So hiow is God holy if He would allow them to die. We are sick and dying because of a lack of knowleadge james tells us. Don not temp is what we have been taught thats why it passed your mind. Salvation and healing are the same Jesus said so. Is it easier to heal or forgive your sin. Same. Who actully smokes to test God no one. Forget the variables. God paid the highest price for you for both healing . Come on He died for you whist you were in your sin.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true we can shorten or lenthen out lives. God knows when and how but He does not chosse it thats not in scripture.

It actually is in scripture. The number of our days is determined by God. We cannot lengthen or shorten the number of days that has been determined for us.

Job 14
5 Since his days are determined,
The number of his months is with You;
You have appointed his limits, so that he cannot pass.

n

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
(cue the passage about Hezekiah here)
Who here would let there child die of cancer just because they knew what they were doing when they started smoking an a ddiction btw. If you had the ability to set them free you are telling me you would let them die.
the thing is sword is that children with cancer die every day after having sought healing, and praying for healing in faith; so this "ability" is not borne out IRL, it seems. Why are there no faith healers in children's wards, iow

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Death Seekers are those who actively try to commit suicide. They might use a gun, poison, etc.

Death Darers are those who don't try to kill themselves, they just put themselves in dangerous situations they normally wouldn't.

I want to know if I can do the latter.

I'm very unhappy with life. I'm disabled and poor; I've tried multiple times to make myself a useful member of society so I can stop leeching, but every time I get knocked down.

I'm always one step away from having my life ruined and not being able to recover.

Constantly I'm in pain - because my disabilities and now my circumstances.

I'm in school, but I was just placed in one of those circumstances that I can't get out of. My new problem has me feeling sick / being in pain most of the day, and most days. (This isn't disability related, except that I don't have/can't earn the money to get away from it.)

I believe in God. In the past, I was certain I cherished him - but anymore I feel so beaten that it seems like I can't feel it, although I want to.

I know that if I were with christ now, I'd be happy. I'd feel loved, and my pain would be gone.

Most of all, I just want to be free.
I want my pain to end...

Can I intentionally put myself in bad situations? Will I go to hell?

My husband’s profession is Heating and Air Conditioning. A couple of years back he went to a home where a mother and father were caring for their thirty-year-old son with Cerebral Palsy. The man was undeveloped, small as a child, wearing a diaper. The mother had sacrificed everything to care for her son that could not get out of bed. It had been that way for thirty years. Shortly after my husband went out on the call, we heard of the mother's passing and wondered who would care for the man? A couple of days ago the Father dropped by our home to ask about his air conditioning. My husband was shocked when he saw the man’s son lying in the back seat of the car. Still alive and suffering. Yet another thirty-year-old suffering from emotional pain but otherwise healthy slips right out of this world without notice. Basically painless and quick. I cannot tell you why God allows those in extreme pain to remain with us. I cannot pretend to understand how you feel or what you go through daily. My biggest hurdle in my relationship with God has been… why? Why such suffering? There are a few, only a few, that when you look at them…you truly see Christ. For me, as I was growing up, that was one woman. I admired her walk with Christ even when I didn’t know Him myself. God had transformed her. Yet, tragedy struck the only model of Christ I had witnessed in the midst of selfishness and her grandson shot himself in the head. I know she had prayed for him, although she never announced it. I know, by the way she loved her grandson and how he was always with her, that he had often been in her prayers. Shortly after his death, she was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease and died a slow and miserable death. She never lost faith. Instead, her relationship with God grew. It destroyed my faith. I couldn’t get past why God did not answer a daughters prayers. It made me question God's existence. I know people will freak and be appalled at the answer I believe God finally gave me not long ago regarding Peggy. He told me that I wasn’t there in their intimate moments. He told me that Peggy and He were intimate in ways I had yet to understand. He told me they had both experienced the pain of watching a child suffer and what He had given Peggy was an honor I could only criticize from my limited view.

I have prayed for my husband and I to be more intimate. It is similar to asking for patience. You know God is going to allow things in your life that bring about patience. And God will allow things to bring about intimacy, true intimacy; suffering that two share in that strengthens and solidifies a bond, forming roots that go deep. I could tell you about Scarlett and her rare form of cancer; her case one of two in the United States and how I have witnessed and felt the presence of Christ more than ever when I am with her. How can a woman dying of cancer, speak such tender loving words of Christ? Scarlett has taught and shown those around her many things they could have never seen otherwise. Her love for Christ has made an impact. Her husband? There are no words. He is the first example of a true head and leadership I have ever seen; a true display of sacrifice, commitment, and love.

Don’t say you have nothing to give this world. Obviously, He has kept you here for a reason. Again, I cannot disrespect you by claiming I understand your constant daily suffering, but maybe, instead of thinking of ways you could challenge death and remain of Christ…maybe you should ask God how you can be fortified and live to demonstrate Christ in a way this world needs more of. Maybe God is calling you to let go of all those disappointments this world serves, into deeper intimacy with Him and those around you. You have SO MUCH to give! Hope. You can ask God to bless you with the opportunity to demonstrate Christ's power to overcome the brutal circumstances of life. You can praise God with every breath you have left and shame the devil.

Or you can give up.

Last edited: