Dear Addy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THERE.... I don't have to feel bad about posting so much on the Late Night Thread...

I thought the title was brilliant.... Dear Abby is long gone... but Addy is not.
Be careful about patting yourself on the back too much. That also may cause a strain... or? Having said, that I must also admit that it is a good title!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Truman the Levite .... I got cookies!!!!!!

iu

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember Ann Landers and Dear Abby... they were quite the hit.
There is still a "Dear Abby" column in our local paper but I believe the original columnist is long since gone with only a replacement answering people's questions using the "Dear Abby" name and fame.

Early last year before the lockdowns began we still had a person physically delivering the newspapers to us 6 days a week. There was no Monday paper. Not long after the lockdowns began, the newspaper cut back in two ways.

They reduced the number of papers to three per week and they started having them delivered by the United States mail. Our paper now comes to us along with our mail. Eventually, the paper will go out of business completely as has happened in other places. The end of an era? The end of something for certain!

Reactions: Truman

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is still a "Dear Abby" column in our local paper but I believe the original columnist is long since gone with only a replacement answering people's questions using the "Dear Abby" name and fame.

Early last year before the lockdowns began we still had a person physically delivering the newspapers to us 6 days a week. There was no Monday paper. Not long after the lockdowns began, the newspaper cut back in two ways.

They reduced the number of papers to three per week and they started having them delivered by the United States mail. Our paper now comes to us along with our mail. Eventually, the paper will go out of business completely as has happened in other places. The end of an era? The end of something for certain!
I'm really surprised to hear they still have a Dear Abby in some papers.
Here in my small city... they still deliver the paper daily... but they don't use bikes anymore... LOL
The paper still misses the step sometimes.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm really surprised to hear they still have a Dear Abby in some papers.
Here in my small city... they still deliver the paper daily... but they don't use bikes anymore... LOL
The paper still misses the step sometimes.
Aha!
I remember my own paper delivery days. I was not a child but married and newly transferred on my government job from a city in California where it never snowed to Rock Springs, Wyoming. It was our first winter in Wyoming and the rest of my family's first winter anywhere with snow. [I had wintered in West Berlin prior to marriage.]

My beloved 12 year old son got a newspaper delivery job and promptly got sick. We had just had a heavy snowstorm and in Rock Springs, once the cold sets in... any snow remains until spring.

To cover for our son, my wife drove our car and I walked along side the car to throw the papers to the doors beginning about 3 hours before I had to be at my regular office job at 8:00A.M.

It was my second newspaper job, [the other one being earlier in our marriage but in sunny California]... but there I was in Wyoming in my late 30's trudging through the snow with temperatures about 20-25 [Fahrenheit] degrees below freezing. I knew I should have been home sleeping.

When we finished the route my wife would go to bed and I would get ready to go to work... We did that for a couple of weeks until my son got well and then he quit the job... LOL... Oh the memories!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When we finished the route my wife would go to bed and I would get ready to go to work... We did that for a couple of weeks until my son got well and then he quit the job... LOL... Oh the memories!
Oh my goodness... that is FUNNY!!!

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Aha!
I remember my own paper delivery days. I was not a child but married and newly transferred on my government job from a city in California where it never snowed to Rock Springs, Wyoming. It was our first winter in Wyoming and the rest of my family's first winter anywhere with snow. [I had wintered in West Berlin prior to marriage.]

My beloved 12 year old son got a newspaper delivery job and promptly got sick. We had just had a heavy snowstorm and in Rock Springs, once the cold sets in... any snow remains until spring.

To cover for our son, my wife drove our car and I walked along side the car to throw the papers to the doors beginning about 3 hours before I had to be at my regular office job at 8:00A.M.

It was my second newspaper job, [the other one being earlier in our marriage but in sunny California]... but there I was in Wyoming in my late 30's trudging through the snow with temperatures about 20-25 [Fahrenheit] degrees below freezing. I knew I should have been home sleeping.

My younger sister had quite a long paper round when we were girls - no bikes - and when she went away for two weeks with her friend's family she asked if I would do it for her so she didn't lose the job. I agreed and struggled morning and evening with a very heavy bag of papers, magazines and comics in the am round and evening papers including the sports papers on Saturdays and the Sunday supplements. Oh yes, she kept the job but took the money I had earned and didn't even share it!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My younger sister had quite a long paper round when we were girls - no bikes - and when she went away for two weeks with her friend's family she asked if I would do it for her so she didn't lose the job. I agreed and struggled morning and evening with a very heavy bag of papers, magazines and comics in the am round and evening papers including the sports papers on Saturdays and the Sunday supplements. Oh yes, she kept the job but took the money I had earned and didn't even share it!
Yes, unfortunately, especially young people do things like that. Sometimes they improve their ways with maturity...

Reactions: Pearl and Truman

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
THERE.... I don't have to feel bad about posting so much on the Late Night Thread...

I thought the title was brilliant.... Dear Abby is long gone... but Addy is not.

Dear Addy

I hope you are happy to receive this message.

Kind regards,
Josh

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Dear Addy

I hope you are happy to receive this message.

Kind regards,
Josh
Dear Josh....
It never occurred to me that your real name might actually be JOSH.... HAHAHA...
Thank you for stopping by my office.... We are closed until tomorrow because it is Labour Day here in Canada.
However.... your post has been received with much LOVE...
Respectfully... Addy Bo Baddy

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I get something stuck in my head... It likes to linger... Anyways... this thread is for my random thoughts... and NO off topic limits...
I felt bad for posting in the Late Night thread in the middle of the day.... LOL

Only really Aussies and those that live in East Asia should be posting in the late night thread right now according to the late night rules.

Reactions: dev553344