Death - Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 2:20 is a keystone verse for believers to really understand what took place on the cross. It is quoted in our day more than any other verse, probably even more than John 3:16 at least among believers. John 3:16 is quoted by unregenerate people in the world but that has no meaning. So Galatians 2:20 is very popular verse to quote. I believe because it is so explanatory to look at in the natural that we are drawn to it.

What stands out to me is the verse before it, verse 19.

For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. - Galatians 2:19.

Paul could see by Christ's death on Calvary he was dead to the law, he had died with Christ on the cross. When you look at the deep root of religion Paul had ingrained in him you can get a better perspective on Paul's understanding of the cross.

More zealous than you all, a Hebrew of Hebrews, circumcised the eighth day, of the tribe of Benjamin.

Paul was a Pharisee, he was a lawyer, he knew law as good or better than any. I believe the reason Paul spent so much time in the Arabian desert is because of the law being so deep in him. Everyone at that time had it ingrained in them and Paul still says "I am more zealous than you all."

So as you study Paul and watch him he is laying out a life, a lifestyle that only exsists for believers. We start to see a principle in God from scriptures that life only comes out of a death. You can start putting together a pattern if you will, in scripture, that allows you to understand that death is going to be very important for your life. It goes as far as saying there is no life without death. We can use a verse such as "lest a corn of wheat fall in the ground it abideth alone." So this death is not a self enduced death, but one that took place on a tree 2000 years ago.

Closing note that has stuck with me for all my study years: Galatians 2:20 is a starting place in understanding the things of God correctly. There is an old saying "if you don't start right, you can't finish right." You have to start with basics, understanding basics is a principle of learning. It is the first principle of learning and will have everything to do with you learning.

Example: if the Holyspirit has something to work with he will. When I don't start right my basics are messed up right off the bat and it will be a lot harder for me to come to proper understanding. The Holyspirit will work with whatever I give him, but if you give him something to work with your coming to knowledge will be less of a journey. He is taking you one place and one place only in understanding. So the old adage is "the way the crow flies" is the shortest distance-the shortest distance between A and B is a straight line. When we talk about going round and round the mountain that is what we are talking about. We need a fixed way and that way is found solely in the written scriptures. Bless you.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Galatians 2:20 is a keystone verse for believers to really understand what took place on the cross. It is quoted in our day more than any other verse, probably even more than John 3:16 at least among believers. John 3:16 is quoted by unregenerate people in the world but that has no meaning. So Galatians 2:20 is very popular verse to quote. I believe because it is so explanatory to look at in the natural that we are drawn to it.

What stands out to me is the verse before it, verse 19.

For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. - Galatians 2:19.

Paul could see by Christ's death on Calvary he was dead to the law, he had died with Christ on the cross. When you look at the deep root of religion Paul had ingrained in him you can get a better perspective on Paul's understanding of the cross.

More zealous than you all, a Hebrew of Hebrews, circumcised the eighth day, of the tribe of Benjamin.

Paul was a Pharisee, he was a lawyer, he knew law as good or better than any. I believe the reason Paul spent so much time in the Arabian desert is because of the law being so deep in him. Everyone at that time had it ingrained in them and Paul still says "I am more zealous than you all."

So as you study Paul and watch him he is laying out a life, a lifestyle that only exsists for believers. We start to see a principle in God from scriptures that life only comes out of a death. You can start putting together a pattern if you will, in scripture, that allows you to understand that death is going to be very important for your life. It goes as far as saying there is no life without death. We can use a verse such as "lest a corn of wheat fall in the ground it abideth alone." So this death is not a self enduced death, but one that took place on a tree 2000 years ago.

Closing note that has stuck with me for all my study years: Galatians 2:20 is a starting place in understanding the things of God correctly. There is an old saying "if you don't start right, you can't finish right." You have to start with basics, understanding basics is a principle of learning. It is the first principle of learning and will have everything to do with you learning.

Example: if the Holyspirit has something to work with he will. When I don't start right my basics are messed up right off the bat and it will be a lot harder for me to come to proper understanding. The Holyspirit will work with whatever I give him, but if you give him something to work with your coming to knowledge will be less of a journey. He is taking you one place and one place only in understanding. So the old adage is "the way the crow flies" is the shortest distance-the shortest distance between A and B is a straight line. When we talk about going round and round the mountain that is what we are talking about. We need a fixed way and that way is found solely in the written scriptures. Bless you.
Yes, it's very hard to not live by sight, which I believe is the essence of this passage. That is, this is a promise, or a principle that is intangible, it is only apprehended by faith. I died to the law, and to the world, and it is only in Christ that I have hope in an eternal life. I have no empirical evidence for this, and it can only be manifested if I believe it, and consequently, act accordingly.

Reactions: soul man