Do animals have souls?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those were resurrected from the dead!
What? The passage does not even hint at that. The question that the Sadduces asked was "in the resurrection whose wife of them will she be?” The implication being that everyone will be resurrected around the same time at some time in the future.

They are not physically resurrected because none shall be physically resurrected before an hour coming when the last trumpet sounds. Why do you not read the passage in context?
I was reading it in context. Where are you getting from the context that there are two separate resurrections, and of death not being death of the person until they are resurrected? It says "the resurrection" not "the resurrections". You're reading into the passage things that are not there.

If Christ was speaking of the physical resurrection that shall come, why would He say those who obtain "that world" do not marry, cannot die anymore, and they are equal/like the angels of God?
You're relying on a single poor translation (KJV) of the verse. Most modern translations say "those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage", implying that the resurrection occurs in a future age. The Mark and Matthew passages of this story have Jesus simply saying:

Mark 12:25 (WEB):
(25) For when they will rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.​
Matthew 22:30 (WEB):
(30) For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like God’s angels in heaven.​

There is only one resurrection to life from death. At that resurrection, in a future age, people will be given a new human body. There is a special resurrection for the Church, the "first resurrection", in which the saints are given an immortal divine spirit body. There is no preceding resurrection and living existence as a bodyless spirit for anybody.

That is a description of a spirit being made alive after the physical body has died.
No it's not!

Luke writes "NOW that the dead are raised"! IOW NOW, through the advent of Christ, God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
Again, you're relying on a poor KJV translation of one word, and not reading the word in context. Better translations say, for example:

Luke 20:37 (WEB):
(37) But that the dead are raised, even Moses showed at the bush, when he called the Lord ‘The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’​

The Greek word is "de", which Strong's Greek Lexicon says means "but, and, etc.: - also, and, but, moreover, now [often unexpressed in English]". So it should be either unexpressed and just say "That the dead are raised", or it should be translated as "But that the dead are raised".

The equivalent Mark and Matthew passages say:

Mark 12:26 (KJV):
(26) And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?​
Mark 12:26 (WEB):
(26) But about the dead, that they are raised; haven’t you read in the book of Moses, about the Bush, how God spoke to him, saying, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’?​

Matthew 22:31 KJV):
(31) But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,​
Matthew 22:31 (WEB):
(31) But concerning the resurrection of the dead, haven’t you read that which was spoken to you by God, saying,​

Even if you insist (unreasonably!) that it must be "Now that the dead are raised", it still doesn't mean "That the dead are raised now"!

The context is that the Sadduces did not believe there would be a resurrection of the dead, and they quoted the law given by Moses concening men dying having not had any children, that the man's brother should marry his wife. So as evidence that there will be a resurrection of the dead, Jesus quotes from the writings of Moses back to them.

Our spirit alive ascends to heaven if before death we have been born again of His Spirit.
Where do you get such nonsense?!

John 3:13 (KJV):
(13) And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.​

Again Ps 146 in context is speaking of those who die in unbelief.
Where in the context does it mention anything about people dying in unbelief? It only mentions princes. Psalms 146:1-4 (WEB):

(1) Praise Yah! Praise Yahweh, my soul.​
(2) While I live, I will praise Yahweh. I will sing praises to my God as long as I exist.​
(3) Don’t put your trust in princes, each a son of man in whom there is no help.​
(4) His spirit departs, and he returns to the earth. In that very day, his thoughts perish.​

I'm tired of spending so much time pointing out so many errors in your understanding of the Scriptures. I'm going to stop responding to your posts on this subject now. It's too time-consuming.

Last edited:

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity. 20 All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows whether the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of the beast goes down into the earth?
Yups to dust, all of them, correct.
Except human beings are promised heaven.
The body goes to dust. Soul goes to heaven as long as one accepts what Christ did on the cross.
Animals are not saved.
Point me to a church where they preach salvation for animals and I point you to false teachings.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yups to dust, all of them, correct.
Except human beings are promised heaven.
The body goes to dust. Soul goes to heaven as long as one accepts what Christ did on the cross.
Animals are not saved.
Point me to a church where they preach salvation for animals and I point you to false teachings.
You don't understand the verse.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm tired of spending so much time pointing out so many errors in your understanding of the Scriptures. I'm going to stop responding to your posts on this subject now. It's too time-consuming.

I have come to feel the same way regarding how little you understand of biblical doctrine. I won't be wasting any more time replying to you because you have not at this point in time ears to hear or eyes to see. You have become too indoctrinated by false teachers!

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Christ Jesus came to save ones Soul in fact ! He did not come to save your pet's in fact for they do not have a Soul like Humans in fact.
The Stain of original Sin ? understand that issue ?
Does a Dog have the Stain of original Sin ? No ! so it can not be born again can it in fact !

Who puts a Cross above their Cats grave ? only a moron would.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought anything that breathes has a soul since that's what a soul is breath life.

Every living breathing creature is a living soul. That means having a physical body endowed with the breath of life (spirit). What separates mankind from all other living creatures is that man may also possess the eternal life giving Spirit of Christ, if they have been born again.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every living breathing creature is a living soul. That means having a physical body endowed with the breath of life (spirit). What separates mankind from all other living creatures is that man may also possess the eternal life giving Spirit of Christ, if they have been born again.
I agree

Reactions: rwb

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ Jesus came to save ones Soul in fact ! He did not come to save your pet's in fact for they do not have a Soul like Humans in fact.
The Stain of original Sin ? understand that issue ?
Does a Dog have the Stain of original Sin ? No ! so it can not be born again can it in fact !

Who puts a Cross above their Cats grave ? only a moron would.
That's a bit harsh. No,animals don't sin. They're not cursed for the sin of the first couple,as we are.

However,all that our Father creates is of and from him.
Father breathed into Adam and he became a living soul.

That's important to remember I think. Because prior to that he was dust formed into a human man.
When we die we return to that dust. While our souls return to Father.

So it is with every living thing in creation. It is all of God. And unto God all returns.

God,the Creator,the Source of all living.
What is that? "All living"? Everything that is. Because ours is the Living God.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's a bit harsh. No,animals don't sin. They're not cursed for the sin of the first couple,as we are.

However,all that our Father creates is of and from him.
Father breathed into Adam and he became a living soul.

That's important to remember I think. Because prior to that he was dust formed into a human man.
When we die we return to that dust. While our souls return to Father.

So it is with every living thing in creation. It is all of God. And unto God all returns.

God,the Creator,the Source of all living.
What is that? "All living"? Everything that is. Because ours is the Living God.
How do you get to Heaven ?

Now how can your cat get to Heaven ? better take the cat to church with you ?

Their are Spirits ? But the Holy Spirit is what one needs in fact, such is clear different to the other Spirits in fact. So does youe cat have the Holy Spirit ? or does it have a spirit ? who were into spirits even a Cat Spirits ?

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Their are Spirits ? But the Holy Spirit is what one needs in fact, such is clear different to the other Spirits in fact. So does youe cat have the Holy Spirit ? or does it have a spirit ? who were into spirits even a Cat Spirits ?
Read the Bible. :)

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why do you assume that because man was made separately with a specific purpose and a mind that has the ability to reason and free will that man can and will ultimately choose where
he will spend eternity (Yes, that is an over simplification but I am giving you the doubt and believe you understand what I mean)

Anyway, why do you assume that the animals that God designed and created must have the same abilities as man... for we are made to be ... no I will restate that...

In Genesis 1: 26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [ak]sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [al]sky and over every living thing that [am]moves on the earth.”

The people were to rule over and take care of the animals.

That does not mean that God created the animals to be throw aways.

And it also does not mean the animals were meant to be food. Not even the fish......... not then.

Genesis 1 states... 29 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the [an]surface of all the earth, and every tree [ao]which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the [ap]sky and to every thing that [aq]moves on the earth [ar]which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so.

We were originally intended to be vegetarians... as were the living things of the earth.

The fish... Well guppies and Beta are cannibals and then the sharks eat them so...

Now look at Adams life.

Genesis 2.... God made a garden and he mad the man Adam.

God wanted Adam to have a companion of sorts... a helper.

Isn't it odd that in Genesis 1: 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [al]sky and over every living thing that [am]moves on the earth.”

In Gen 1 God made male AND female and together they were to rule over the animal kingdom.

But when He made Adam, His first thought was to find him an animal for a helper.... Not a woman.

Anyway... Animals were special to God, and to be taken care of by man.

They were not made disposable and if God chooses to bring a dead pet into heaven
or even a cow or chicken... they do not need to have spirits, or to be born again for they were made for man and man to care for them

Reactions: Gabriel _Arch

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you assume that because man was made separately with a specific purpose and a mind that has the ability to reason and free will that man can and will ultimately choose where
he will spend eternity (Yes, that is an over simplification but I am giving you the doubt and believe you understand what I mean)

Anyway, why do you assume that the animals that God designed and created must have the same abilities as man... for we are made to be ... no I will restate that...

In Genesis 1: 26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [ak]sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [al]sky and over every living thing that [am]moves on the earth.”

The people were to rule over and take care of the animals.

That does not mean that God created the animals to be throw aways.

And it also does not mean the animals were meant to be food. Not even the fish......... not then.

Genesis 1 states... 29 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the [an]surface of all the earth, and every tree [ao]which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the [ap]sky and to every thing that [aq]moves on the earth [ar]which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so.

We were originally intended to be vegetarians... as were the living things of the earth.

The fish... Well guppies and Beta are cannibals and then the sharks eat them so...

Now look at Adams life.

Genesis 2.... God made a garden and he mad the man Adam.

God wanted Adam to have a companion of sorts... a helper.

Isn't it odd that in Genesis 1: 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [al]sky and over every living thing that [am]moves on the earth.”

In Gen 1 God made male AND female and together they were to rule over the animal kingdom.

But when He made Adam, His first thought was to find him an animal for a helper.... Not a woman.

Anyway... Animals were special to God, and to be taken care of by man.

They were not made disposable and if God chooses to bring a dead pet into heaven
or even a cow or chicken... they do not need to have spirits, or to be born again for they were made for man and man to care for them
Well said.

With all the references in Genesis to that which God has givenife,every living thing, I think it becomes obvious God is speaming of souls in the living.

He breathed into Adam and Adam became a living soul. We are not the only living souls. We're just the ones cursed to sin.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Latin word for soul is anima...

...which is also the etymological root of our word animal.

This question doesn't seem all that complicated.
Amen. There ya go.

Some are newborn Christians who don't know the awesome breadth of God's power.

As if God could create something without his living power manifest within it.

Genesis 1
And then God said, "Let the waters produce animals with a living soul, and flying creatures above the earth, under the firmament of heaven."