Do you think only people aged 25 should be allowed to use and own guns?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the legal age to use guns be increased to 25?

• Total voters

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has been a massive surge in gun violence over the past year or so, and in truth, I found the incident with the elementary school deaths particularly harrowing and disturbing.

Some Democrats have been loudly calling for the legal age to be raised to 25, in order to help "prevent" future deaths. I don't know how I feel towards this, exactly. I do think young people should be taught life skills and personal responsibility from early on if possible, but today's generation is so immature and sheltered and attached to their parents well after college that perhaps they aren't mature enough to use lethal weapons. I was discussing this with a friend of mine a while ago, over whether teenagers should be allowed to use weapons or not.

I know that in the U.S. and Europe, for example, it was very common even 30 or 40 years ago, for lots of teenagers to move out, get a job and start a family after basic education, but it seems much less commonplace today. And I do think that America has one of the higher drinking ages at the age of 21, while Europeans are much more lenient in that regard.
The Invention of Adolescence
'Boys Will Be Boys'? No, Adolescence Is A 20th Century Invention

And yet, we still allow young men to join the military even at age 17, and still try teenagers as adults for very serious crimes, including very recently. And 30 states permit children before they are teenagers to use guns:
"In 30 states, it’s legal for a child to possess a rifle or shotgun, which advocates say teaches them to use guns responsibly – but critics see it laying a path for danger."
My first rifle: how young is too young to operate a gun?

So my point is, American laws and norms seem to be all the over the place, and are extremely confusing and contradictory sometimes. So regarding this specific issue, do you think the Democrats are correct, guys? I mean, should the age be increased to 25 or not? Would that help prevent future deaths by gun violence?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So my point is, American laws and norms seem to be all the over the place, and are extremely confusing and contradictory sometimes. So regarding this specific issue, do you think the Democrats are correct, guys? I mean, should the age be increased to 25 or not? Would that help prevent future deaths by gun violence?
You are apparently writing to fellow Americans about this because you wouldn't ask anyone in the civilized world outside of the US that question.
It seems as if the gun violence is directly related to your gun laws, because of which America has the highest deaths and injuries by gunshot than any other civilized nation on earth.

The rest of the world shakes their heads and wonders why you can't see the correlation. Why do you need to carry guns in the first place?
If it is to protect yourselves from your own citizens, then America must be the most dangerous country in the world to live, or to go to school in safety. How many more people have to be shot by disgruntled loonies who have legal access to firearms before the penny drops?
Are y'all still living in the wild west...? :no reply:

I just don't understand.....
dunno

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So regarding this specific issue, do you think the Democrats are correct, guys?
The Demoncrats are NEVER correct. Just ignore them. They simply want total control over everyone so that they can promote tyranny shamelessly. But if citizens own guns, the tyrants have to be afraid. Lawlessness is a Democrat specialty, but they love to project their evil deeds on to others.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There has been a massive surge in gun violence over the past year or so, and in truth, I found the incident with the elementary school deaths particularly harrowing and disturbing.

Some Democrats have been loudly calling for the legal age to be raised to 25, in order to help "prevent" future deaths. I don't know how I feel towards this, exactly. I do think young people should be taught life skills and personal responsibility from early on if possible, but today's generation is so immature and sheltered and attached to their parents well after college that perhaps they aren't mature enough to use lethal weapons. I was discussing this with a friend of mine a while ago, over whether teenagers should be allowed to use weapons or not.

I know that in the U.S. and Europe, for example, it was very common even 30 or 40 years ago, for lots of teenagers to move out, get a job and start a family after basic education, but it seems much less commonplace today. And I do think that America has one of the higher drinking ages at the age of 21, while Europeans are much more lenient in that regard.
The Invention of Adolescence
'Boys Will Be Boys'? No, Adolescence Is A 20th Century Invention

And yet, we still allow young men to join the military even at age 17, and still try teenagers as adults for very serious crimes, including very recently. And 30 states permit children before they are teenagers to use guns:
"In 30 states, it’s legal for a child to possess a rifle or shotgun, which advocates say teaches them to use guns responsibly – but critics see it laying a path for danger."
My first rifle: how young is too young to operate a gun?

it's not the age or the guns, it's the culture......maturing... you can expect more!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Demoncrats are NEVER correct. Just ignore them. They simply want total control over everyone so that they can promote tyranny shamelessly. But if citizens own guns, the tyrants have to be afraid. Lawlessness is a Democrat specialty, but they love to project their evil deeds on to others.
Are you serious? If you take on the government with your puny weapons, what do you think will happen?
I think their guns are bigger than your guns. :r.u.n:

Do the gun-toting folk in America call themselves "Christians"?.....how can you carry weapons that are solely designed to take human life?
You think God approves of politically motivated gun violence? That is not the God I know who showed us in the personality of Jesus Christ what he is like. Did Jesus carry a weapon?....did he ever use a sword on anyone? Did he advise the Jews to take action against the Romans who were oppressing the Jews? What happened when Jesus himself was threatened? Did he call on the angels to take down his enemies? NO! he quietly left the scene.

He simply said his Kingdom was "not of this world" that is ruled by God's adversary. (1 John 5:19)
Satan loves violence, so I guess he won't be leaving the US any time soon....:Broadly:

Reactions: Jim B

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you serious? If you take on the government with your puny weapons, what do you think will happen?
I think their guns are bigger than your guns. :r.u.n:

Do the gun-toting folk in America call themselves "Christians"?.....how can you carry weapons that are solely designed to take human life?
You think God approves of politically motivated gun violence? That is not the God I know who showed us in the personality of Jesus Christ what he is like. Did Jesus carry a weapon?....did he ever use a sword on anyone? Did he advise the Jews to take action against the Romans who were oppressing the Jews? What happened when Jesus himself was threatened? Did he call on the angels to take down his enemies? NO! he quietly left the scene.

He simply said his Kingdom was "not of this world" that is ruled by God's adversary. (1 John 5:19)
Satan loves violence, so I guess he won't be leaving the US any time soon....:Broadly:
A well regulated Militia of Citizens as seen in the US constitution 2nd Amendment is part of our Governments structure, and part of that is to punish evildoers

Would you say a Christian law enforcement officer shouldn't shoot and kill a person bringing a direct physical threat of death on a child, woman, man, family, or elderly person?

In America if you don't drop the weapon at the officers demand your "Dead", the evildoer is immediately punished in most cases, and God's words below support the actions taken

Jesus Is The Lord

Romans 13:3-6KJV
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are apparently writing to fellow Americans about this because you wouldn't ask anyone in the civilized world outside of the US that question.
It seems as if the gun violence is directly related to your gun laws, because of which America has the highest deaths and injuries by gunshot than any other civilized nation on earth.

The rest of the world shakes their heads and wonders why you can't see the correlation. Why do you need to carry guns in the first place?
If it is to protect yourselves from your own citizens, then America must be the most dangerous country in the world to live, or to go to school in safety. How many more people have to be shot by disgruntled loonies who have legal access to firearms before the penny drops?

dunno
America is a free land and has the right to bear arms so the people can defend themselves from a corrupt government.

I would think Mexico and south America are more dangerous areas. And any dictatorship is also more dangerous, not from the people but from the government. Try to carry a weapon in a dictatored country and find out.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A well regulated Militia of Citizens as seen in the US constitution 2nd Amendment is part of our Governments structure, and part of that is to punish evildoers
Yes and that is why we pay taxes, to benefit from the many services provided by them for all their citizens....roads, schools, hospitals and law enforcement.

Would you say a Christian law enforcement officer shouldn't shoot and kill a person bringing a direct physical threat of death on a child, woman, man, family, or elderly person?
From my perspective, no Christians would take up a profession that involved the use of weapons...especially those used exclusively on human beings.
That also applies to joining the military. We have no sanction from God to take human life. We are 'not of the world' and so we would not join in with those professions. The world will do what it does without any help from us.

In America if you don't drop the weapon at the officers demand your "Dead", the evildoer is immediately punished in most cases, and God's words below support the actions taken

Jesus Is The Lord

Romans 13:3-6KJV
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
Doesn't it seem ironic that people would take up arms against the government that you just said is a minister of God?
Dilemma? :smlhmm:

Reactions: Cassandra

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is complete non-sense from a country that has more of a dictatorship. America is a free land and has the right to bear arms so the people can defend themselves from a corrupt government.
The freedom you assume is yours, or in any nation, is an illusion.....there is no real freedom. You are at the mercy of your government. If you don't believe that governments of this world are corrupt, then perhaps the truth might be a bit confronting.
1 John 5:19-21.....
"We know that God’s children do not make a practice of sinning, for God’s Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot touch them. 19 We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the control of the evil one.
20 And we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life." (NLT)

21 Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts."

It seems to me that the patriots have indeed allowed something awful to take God's place in their hearts, but the indoctrination is so strong, that I cannot see them dropping their love affair with weapons any time soon.

I would think Mexico and south America are more dangerous areas.
You know, the saddest thing to see today, is the USA becoming like a third world country. The poverty and homelessness are overwhelming your country as well as mine and others, but America still somehow believes that it is an enviable nation....I can tell you now that it isn't. Wages are so low in your country that people can work three jobs and still be homeless. How is that possible?

And any dictatorship is also more dangerous, not from the people but from the government. Try to carry a weapon in a dictatored country and find out.
I hate to burst your bubble devin, but every nation on earth is ruled by one entity, as the scripture above confirms....and if you have ever tried to defeat the military (or the police for that matter) they will have no compunction in taking your life....:(

Reactions: Cassandra

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The freedom you assume is yours, or in any nation, is an illusion.....there is no real freedom. You are at the mercy of your government. If you don't believe that governments of this world are corrupt, then perhaps the truth might be a bit confronting.
"We know that God’s children do not make a practice of sinning, for God’s Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot touch them. 19 We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the control of the evil one.
20 And we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life." (NLT)

21 Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts."

It seems to me that the patriots have indeed allowed something awful to take God's place in their hearts, but the indoctrination is so strong, that I cannot see them dropping their love affair with weapons any time soon.

You know, the saddest thing to see today, is the USA becoming like a third world country. The poverty and homelessness are overwhelming your country as well as mine and others, but America still somehow believes that it is an enviable nation....I can tell you now that it isn't. Wages are so low in your country that people can work three jobs and still be homeless. How is that possible?

I hate to burst your bubble devin, but every nation on earth is ruled by one entity, as the scripture above confirms....and if you have ever tried to defeat the military (or the police for that matter) they will have no compunction in taking your life....:(
Well you're not from the USA, we have a citizen and military oath that includes domestic enemies of the constitution. We are currently seeing enemies of the constitution:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

dunno
Nay Brazil beats the U.S. in gun deaths by around 10,000 more each year.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Facts and Figures Facts and Figures
The human toll

There were 39,707 deaths from firearms in the U.S. in 2019. Sixty percent of deaths from firearms in the U.S. are suicides. In 2019, 23,941 people in the U.S. died by firearm suicide.1 Firearms are the means in approximately half of suicides nationwide.

In 2019, 14,861 people in the U.S. died from firearm homicide, accounting for 37% of total deaths from firearms. Firearms were the means for about 75% of homicides in 2018.

The other 3% of firearm deaths are unintentional, undetermined, from legal intervention, or from public mass shootings (0.2% of total firearm deaths).

There are approximately 115,000 non-fatal firearm injuries in the U.S. each year.

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
America is a free land and has the right to bear arms so the people can defend themselves from a corrupt government.

I would think Mexico and south America are more dangerous areas. And any dictatorship is also more dangerous, not from the people but from the government. Try to carry a weapon in a dictatored country and find out.
The poster doesn't even know that Brazil is the world's leading gun volience country on earth. foreigners haha

Reactions: dev553344

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't it seem ironic that people would take up arms against the government that you just said is a minister of God?
Dilemma? :smlhmm:
A Tyrannical Government has no blessing from God, they call evil good and good evil

The drafters of the US constitution knew exactly what they were doing, no Fidel Castro's, or Adolph Hitlers, and the likes

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If someone has 3 jobs and is homeless they got a drug addiction. What you see is from your news outlets apparently you never been to America. I don't need a gun because everyone around me has one I'm safe :)

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WE have a Constitution. Our Constitution declared that every home was capable of carrying guns. The same guns used to send the British back home. Not once but twice ....you know, the guys who still own Australia ....God Save the King .....

"The rest of the world shakes their head" Yet, you would be first in line begging for our boys to come and save you from a threat from , say, China ...

Meanwhile, comparnig a nation of 300 plus million with a country the size of one our states ...Australia 24 million and considerring you allowed your guns to be seized ....hardley justified in the descusion......

The gun laws in America are not the problem. The problem is the reluctant to enforce those laws ......Quite a huge difference.

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're old enough to fight and die for your country using a weapon provided to you thereby, you're old enough to also own a weapon outside of the military.

Perhaps...it seems like such a complex issue for lots of different people. Some Democrats seem to want to allow teenagers the right to vote as well as girls to get abortions without parental approval - but they seem to also want to increase the drinking and the gun ages.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/voting-changes/lower-voting-age/

I fight that kind of contradictory, but I don't pretend to understand the conflicting morals and constantly changing views and opinions of the American left. o_O

Do you think that young adults have become too sheltered and nihilistic, that perhaps that is partly why so many teenagers today commit such violent mass shootings? Mental illness is increasing rapidly, and society is starting to break down. I heard that in the past, most American men left home immediately after completing high school, got a decent job, and started a family shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

dunno
Illegal drugs have been illegal since before I was born but I can go to a city I've never been to before and within two hours .I could buy drugs. I did it when I worked undercover. What makes you think it would be any different with guns?

Last edited: