Do you trust the discernment of angry people here on this forum?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see some folks here who are clearly angry because another doesn't share their theological view and they oftentimes become insulting and abusive.

I have difficulty trusting their discernment and am more likely than not to simply skip their posts. I'm also less inclined to read and respond simply because they have demonstrated that they are hardheaded. :) So what's the point?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
So long as your own discernment isn't lacking, to understand the spirit under which they reply to you. Seems fair to me cause carnal, abusive browbeating can not be of the Spirit. So it must be useless, a waste of time.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On my way back today walking from supermarket. Two girls sitting in vacant front steps of building. Saw me across the street. They mocked me, and started laughing at me. I was minding my own business and I said nothing to them. Who do the children of darkness follow? One guess. How much love and admiration does satan have for God's Election?. Psalm 109:6. Set thou wicked man over him: and let satan stand at his right hand. If anything, I feel sorry these kind of lost souls. Their headed for sheol.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that anything that is said should be tested. Just because someone says they have discernment does not mean that they are immune from reacting, having wrong motives, or being wrong.
All of us need to test things , that’s biblical.
All of us need to pray for open hearts, minds, eyes and ears to hear and see if the Holy Spirit is part of what is being said.
Even a truth can be relayed without the Holy Spirit prompting it to be shared - truth shared at the right time and the right way can be used in a mighty way. Jesus always prayed and followed his father with regards to what he said, when he said it and how it was said ……. Often as not all of us can be guilty of sounding like resounding gongs !!
This is just my opinion xx

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that anything that is said should be tested. Just because someone says they have discernment does not mean that they are immune from reacting, having wrong motives, or being wrong.
All of us need to test things , that’s biblical.
All of us need to pray for open hearts, minds, eyes and ears to hear and see if the Holy Spirit is part of what is being said.
Even a truth can be relayed without the Holy Spirit prompting it to be shared - truth shared at the right time and the right way can be used in a mighty way. Jesus always prayed and followed his father with regards to what he said, when he said it and how it was said ……. Often as not all of us can be guilty of sounding like resounding gongs !!
This is just my opinion xx

Proverbs 15:32 ESV
Whoever ignores instruction despises himself, but he who listens to reproof gains intelligence.

Sadly, some here react angrily to correction due to oversized egos. They'd rather win an argument than know and tell the truth. They have my pity, actually.

Reactions: Gottservant

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What I often see is that when people suggest that another is angry, that they are actually throwing more oil into the already burning fire. Some are very practiced at this false argument tactic.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I often see is that when people suggest that another is angry, that they are actually throwing more oil into the already burning fire. Some are very practiced at this false argument tactic.

Sometimes our passionate beliefs get the better of us, but I wasn't referring to that. Some posters are perpetually angry and are habitually abusive to others. They lack the inner-peace that a faithful person should have. Instead their ego, pride, and vanity get in the way. My hope in this thread is that they see themselves and change for the better.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being wrong.
So, why are we afraid of being wrong?

"Half of what I just taught you is probably wrong. I just don't know which half." - Steve Brown.

Is it our pride? Isn't that a sin?

Or is it that if we're wrong, we're afraid we'll have to change, and change is hard?

Have we so bought into the notion that "faith" is equivalent to "belief" that we're afraid that if we're wrong on one point, it's equivalent to faithlessness, and God will send us to Hell?

Oh, we're fighting for "Truth". Are we so convinced we have "Truth" with a capital "T" that we're afraid that if we're wrong on one point, the whole intellectual edifice that we've built our lives around will collapse and leave us drifting rudderless on a sea of meaninglessness?

"Correcting others". *Snort*. I don't need to correct anybody. What I do need to be able to do is to articulate what I believe and why I believe it.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should respond to false doctrines with the word of God. If they have a problem with his word then their problem is with God.
Yep. All these flaming arguments are between people, each one of whom is convinced they understand the "word of God" perfectly. Every single one of them. I've been doing the forum thing for 20 years now. In every one of them, the combatants lob their scripture grenades at each other under the flag of defending "True Doctrine" against those bloody heretics.

Wonder why I'm a cynic about the whole thing?

"I don't know about being willing to die for Jesus, but we certainly seem willing to kill for Him." - Another Steve Brown-ism.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. All these flaming arguments are between people, each one of whom is convinced they understand the "word of God" perfectly. Every single one of them. I've been doing the forum thing for 20 years now. In every one of them, the combatants lob their scripture grenades at each other under the flag of defending "True Doctrine" against those bloody heretics.

Wonder why I'm a cynic about the whole thing?

"I don't know about being willing to die for Jesus, but we certainly seem willing to kill for Him." - Another Steve Brown-ism.

Yes, legalists at one another's throat because they lack the spirit of the truth.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the "Correction" paradigm is a major part of the problem. First, it assumes that I'm right and you're wrong, so neither side really listens to the other's arguments except for the purpose of rebutting them. That in turn promotes an unhealthy "us versus them" dynamic that does not permit either side to see the other as a brother or sister in Christ. Third, if the purpose is to "correct" the other, success can only be achieved if the other changes his mind. There have to be clear winners and losers. And that brings in to play all kinds of human ego problems, because nobody wants to think of themselves as "losers".

So, I stand by my previous statement. I don't have to correct anybody. I don't have to win every argument. I just have to articulate what I believe, and why I believe it.

But as always, I could be wrong....

Reactions: BarneyFife

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the "Correction" paradigm is a major part of the problem. First, it assumes that I'm right and you're wrong, so neither side really listens to the other's arguments except for the purpose of rebutting them. That in turn promotes an unhealthy "us versus them" dynamic that does not permit either side to see the other as a brother or sister in Christ. Third, if the purpose is to "correct" the other, success can only be achieved if the other changes his mind. There have to be clear winners and losers. And that brings in to play all kinds of human ego problems, because nobody wants to think of themselves as "losers".

So, I stand by my previous statement. I don't have to correct anybody. I don't have to win every argument. I just have to articulate what I believe, and why I believe it.

Some people probably shouldn't participate in a Christian DISCUSSION message board if they get upset when reading an alternative interpretation.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sometimes our passionate beliefs get the better of us, but I wasn't referring to that. Some posters are perpetually angry and are habitually abusive to others. They lack the inner-peace that a faithful person should have. Instead their ego, pride, and vanity get in the way. My hope in this thread is that they see themselves and change for the better.

Then perhaps a mirror tool is what is needed as the only person that we can change is ourselves. When we try and change other peoples' behaviour, we cross the line and begin to act "god" like. That then is indulging in idolatrous worship.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I come to discover a truth previously missed, and that overturns something I've previously thought, it's like finding buried treasure. It's the flesh that bears anger/resentment/fear/all that is against sound doctrine.

That feeling inside that rises when we are corrected, if not love/joy/peace/patience et al., it's fleshy, and should be recognized as such.

Much love!

Reactions: Lambano

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see some folks here who are clearly angry because another doesn't share their theological view and they oftentimes become insulting and abusive.

I have difficulty trusting their discernment and am more likely than not to simply skip their posts. I'm also less inclined to read and respond simply because they have demonstrated that they are hardheaded. :) So what's the point?

Yes, I suppose we are all capable of lashing out--but it is not good, for sure. Of course that is not to be confused with righteous anger. But you can tell when someone is or is not Christ-like. Chances are that axe they have to grind is personal having nothing to do with who they/we are lashing out at.

And then there are the seemingly habitually mad haters that have nothing good to say and who's emotions have got the best of them. It's hard to know if they need prayer, to be called on the carpet, rebuked, or just told no.

It's pretty sad this happens among those who are rather to be known for their love for one another. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: marks