Does evil exist?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(jeffhughes;59612)
logabe,You say that I cannot screw up the plan of God. This means that God's plan is sovereign, and no matter what, everyone will do God's will. Correct? Therefore, everything that I do is in accordance, ultimately, with his will. Even my rejection of Christianity, then, was already foreseen and planned out by him, before I even existed. Why would this be part of God's plan?But more importantly, if God can do anything he wants to, and he has planned out everything that will happen, why, again, does evil exist? God could just as easily have accomplished everything without the need for evil or sin or suffering at all. Therefore, God knowingly included evil into the plan, despite the fact that he could have done without it. This denies the all-loving nature of God, for why would anyone intentionally add in evil and suffering when it was not necessary?
No, everyone is not doing God's Will. (Ex. John 8:44) Satan tried and still trying to destroy God's ultimate plan... and it won't happen.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(Jordan;59623)
No, everyone is not doing God's Will. (Ex. John 8:44) Satan tried and still trying to destroy God's ultimate plan... and it won't happen.
Excuse me. Perhaps I was being unclear by mixing the two terms. I don't think it makes any difference, but here we go.God's plan is sovereign, correct?If so, then God's plan will always succeed, and no one will be able to destroy or thwart it.God is timeless, correct?If so, then He has established his plan from before the beginning of the universe.Now, if these two are true, then it appears to be the case that God's plan and God's will should be equivalent. After all, why would God include something in his plan that was not his will? That would be like saying, "Well, I know that if I don't do something, my wife is going to die in a car crash, but I have the power to stop it. I'd also like very much for that not to happen. But whatever. I'm going to go get some Chinese food instead." The whole idea would be ridiculous. If people can not do God's will and yet they will always be going along with God's ultimate plan, then God seems to be kind of an idiot for putting things in his plan that he didn't want to happen...

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Jeffhughes;59662)
(Jordan;59623)
Excuse me. Perhaps I was being unclear by mixing the two terms. I don't think it makes any difference, but here we go.God's plan is sovereign, correct?If so, then God's plan will always succeed, and no one will be able to destroy or thwart it.God is timeless, correct?If so, then He has established his plan from before the beginning of the universe.Now, if these two are true, then it appears to be the case that God's plan and God's will should be equivalent. After all, why would God include something in his plan that was not his will? That would be like saying, "Well, I know that if I don't do something, my wife is going to die in a car crash, but I have the power to stop it. I'd also like very much for that not to happen. But whatever. I'm going to go get some Chinese food instead." The whole idea would be ridiculous. If people can not do God's will and yet they will always be going along with God's ultimate plan, then God seems to be kind of an idiot for putting things in his plan that he didn't want to happen...Both of the questions you said are correct.God is the positive side of His plan. Satan is the negative side of His plan. There is a thing called FREE WILL. Your "quote sentence" actually prove my case except calling God is an idiot. Do you really believe that God would want us to be robots?

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Okay, so we have a problem with the Planof God. Jeff, you don’t like the way God is running things. Paul seen some injusticein God’s Plan also. (Rom. 9:14)14 What shall we say then? [Is there] unrighteousness with God? God forbid.He went on to say…in 19-21…19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why dothhe yet find fault? For who hath resistedhis will?20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?In other words…if you want to argue aboutwhat you think is injustice, argue with Logabebecause you don’t know what you are talkingabout when it comes to the sovereignty ofGod. Argue with some "clay" that is on your levelof authority and understanding. How dare we question God’s competency ortell God how to run His Universe? We must first recognize our place (clay) and we must agree that God is sovereign and that He knowswhat He is doing.Do we think we are so wise and powerful? Dowe dare to tell God He has “no hands”. Do wethink of Him as handicapped and in need of our help and advice. Boy…do we have a littlegod in our minds.Yes…I see a lot of injustice in the world thatGod has allowed in His sovereignty but I knowthat it is all “Temporary”. I know that God knows what He is doing and He will bring thisEVIL to an ultimate climax where the ones thathave FAITH now, will be compensated forknowing that God is in complete control.(Rom. 8:18)For I reckon that the sufferings of this presenttime [are] not worthy [to be compared] with the glory which shall be revealed in us.Let’s get in God’s Plan and except what God is doing so His Mercy and Grace will cause usto grow and understand He does all things forour GOOD..."even evil".(Rom. 8:28)28 And we know that all things work together forgood to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.Logabe

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(Jordan;59663)
God is the positive side of His plan. Satan is the negative side of His plan. There is a thing called FREE WILL.
If God's plan is timeless and sovereign, then free will is an illusion. But that is another argument for another time, so let's not get into that. I believe you missed the point of what I am saying. Why does God have a "negative side" of his plan to begin with? If God could plan out things any way he wanted before the universe was even around, then why the heck would he plan to have evil, suffering, and all sorts of crap? You say that Satan is trying to destroy God's plan, and then you go and say that Satan is part of God's plan - so in other words, the whole thing is a set-up. God planned to have Satan rebel against him, and God planned to have Adam and Eve be tricked by the serpent and sin. But why? So God could thousands of years later go and send his Son down, kill him, and then correct the problem that he planned to have happen right from the beginning anyway? This still does not redeem God from being sadistic and cruel.(Jordan;59663)
Do you really believe that God would want us to be robots?
No, but if God is as you say he is, then he is loving, and a loving person would not knowingly inflict pain and suffering on someone he "loves". I'm pretty sure an omnipotent God could figure out how to be loving without making us into robots.(logabe;59668)
Okay, so we have a problem with the Planof God. Jeff, you don’t like the way God is running things. Paul seen some injusticein God’s Plan also. (Rom. 9:14)...How dare we question God’s competency ortell God how to run His Universe? We must first recognize our place (clay) and we must agree that God is sovereign and that He knowswhat He is doing.
I am not trying to tell God how to run his universe. You're right - if God is really up there, then he can run it however the heck he wants. However, if God has chosen to make all sorts of evil things happen and create suffering, misery, and pain, then don't try to sell me on the whole "God is love" bit. God is sovereign and can choose not to be loving if he so desires, but we have a fundamental problem with the revealed nature of God conflicting with the observed world. Perhaps God was lying to us when he said he was love? Maybe that's it. But then, what's to stop him from lying about heaven? Maybe he'll send us all to hell.(Jordan;59663)
Do we think we are so wise and powerful? Dowe dare to tell God He has “no hands”. Do wethink of Him as handicapped and in need of our help and advice. Boy…do we have a littlegod in our minds.
I'm not trying to tell him anything. I'm just observing and making logical conclusions based on that.(Jordan;59663)
Yes…I see a lot of injustice in the world thatGod has allowed in His sovereignty but I knowthat it is all “Temporary”. I know that God knows what He is doing and He will bring thisEVIL to an ultimate climax where the ones thathave FAITH now, will be compensated forknowing that God is in complete control.(Rom. 8:18)
The idea that you can "know" this is a misrepresentation of the word. You equate "belief" with "knowledge". The only way you "know" this is because it's apparently revealed in God's word, but we've just established that God can do whatever he wants, right? So how do you know he isn't lying to you?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Jeffhughes;59726)
(Jordan;59663)
God is the positive side of His plan. Satan is the negative side of His plan. There is a thing called FREE WILL.
If God's plan is timeless and sovereign, then free will is an illusion. But that is another argument for another time, so let's not get into that. I believe you missed the point of what I am saying. Why does God have a "negative side" of his plan to begin with? If God could plan out things any way he wanted before the universe was even around, then why the heck would he plan to have evil, suffering, and all sorts of crap? You say that Satan is trying to destroy God's plan, and then you go and say that Satan is part of God's plan - so in other words, the whole thing is a set-up. God planned to have Satan rebel against him, and God planned to have Adam and Eve be tricked by the serpent and sin. But why? So God could thousands of years later go and send his Son down, kill him, and then correct the problem that he planned to have happen right from the beginning anyway? This still does not redeem God from being sadistic and cruel.Free Will is not illusion. Secondly, God never intended to have evil in His plan to begin with. It was by Satan's by his own choice to create evil, so Satan became God's negative plan.(Jeffhughes;59726)
(Jordan;59663)
Do you really believe that God would want us to be robots?
No, but if God is as you say he is, then he is loving, and a loving person would not knowingly inflict pain and suffering on someone he "loves". I'm pretty sure an omnipotent God could figure out how to be loving without making us into robots.It's not love if one doesn't stop evil. And also look above....By the way, some of these quotes you quoted is not even in my posts... so don't add words to my mouth.

Shornaal

May 20, 2008
(Jordan;59738)
Free Will is not illusion. Secondly, God never intended to have evil in His plan to begin with. It was by Satan's by his own choice to create evil, so Satan became God's negative plan.
But why doesn't he stop Satan's evil?If he lets Satan continue he's just as evil as him or of he's powerless to stop Satan then he is not almighty.Give me a straight answer for once please...

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Shornaal;59748)
(Jordan;59738)
Free Will is not illusion. Secondly, God never intended to have evil in His plan to begin with. It was by Satan's by his own choice to create evil, so Satan became God's negative plan.
But why doesn't he stop Satan's evil?If he lets Satan continue he's just as evil as him or of he's powerless to stop Satan then he is not almighty.Give me a straight answer for once please...I just gave you a very straight answer. Guess I will have to repeat it but in more depth.Free Will. Every single soul must come to exist in the flesh (human) body (past, present, future) to choose the ultimate decision. It is a person's choose Christ or THE Anti-Christ (Satan) And God will desroy evil in His time, not on our time.

Shornaal

May 20, 2008
(Jordan;59753)
I just gave you a very straight answer. Guess I will have to repeat it but in more depth.Free Will. Every single soul must come to exist in the flesh (human) body (past, present, future) to choose the ultimate decision. It is a person's choose Christ or THE Anti-Christ (Satan) And God will desroy evil in His time, not on our time.
Great, so he's letting evil be for now, then he's just as evil as Satan himself.But then again he's known for killing firstborn...

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
We are called to get to know the God of the Bible, so that we begin to comprehend Him and the way He thinks by the mind of the Spirit. This is often difficult, especially the more evil we see and the more that bad things happen to us personally. Our perspective is simply too limited, too personal, too myopic, and so it is fortunate that we ourselves are not God. We must ultimately come to the same conclusion as Joseph did, after being sold as a slave by his own brothers, and after being imprisoned for years through false accusation. In Gen. 50:19, 20 he said, 19 Fear not; for am I in the place of God? 20 But as for you [brothers], you thought evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save many people alive. This attitude is the primary mark of spiritualmaturity in Scripture. All the bitterness and anger of his youth had melted away, once he saw the greater purpose of God in all the “evil” done to him. He had ceased to think of good and evil dualistically. He now saw both good and evil with a singular mind as proceeding from God and having an ultimate good purpose . Logabe

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Shornaal;59764)
(Jordan;59753)
I just gave you a very straight answer. Guess I will have to repeat it but in more depth.Free Will. Every single soul must come to exist in the flesh (human) body (past, present, future) to choose the ultimate decision. It is a person's choose Christ or THE Anti-Christ (Satan) And God will desroy evil in His time, not on our time.
Great, so he's letting evil be for now, then he's just as evil as Satan himself.But then again he's known for killing firstborn...In your mind that you think this way, because you only look at your own perspective and others human perspective and not God. And no, God is no where near evil. In fact there is none in Him.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(Jordan;59738)
Then you deny the omnipotent nature of God and the sovereignty of his plan. Do you know what "sovereignty" means? It has to do with the idea of supreme power. If Satan can thwart God's plan (by bringing evil into the world apart from God's plan, as you mentioned), then God's plan is not supreme. This makes Satan have at least the same amount of power, if not more, than God.(Jordan;59738)
It's not love if one doesn't stop evil. And also look above.
Um, yeah that's what I'm saying. If God doesn't stop evil, then it's not love he's giving us. I don't really know what it is, but it sure doesn't fit any definition of love.(Jordan;59738)
By the way, some of these quotes you quoted is not even in my posts... so don't add words to my mouth.
I was responding to both you and logabe. I wasn't trying to misrepresent you, only respond to both posts at the same time. Sorry for the confusion.(Jordan;59753)
Free Will. Every single soul must come to exist in the flesh (human) body (past, present, future) to choose the ultimate decision. It is a person's choose Christ or THE Anti-Christ (Satan) And God will desroy evil in His time, not on our time.
Unfortunately, this only confuses the problem. You say that God will destroy evil in his own time, not ours. That's fine. But again, that's not love. For with every moment that passes where evil is still in this world, there are countless millions that suffer and die. There are millions that die every day without the knowledge of Christ - or they die in rebellion to him. By not doing what is in his power to do, he is condemning millions to death - both physical and spiritual. Is this love?To give you an example, imagine a mother whose child has just been trapped under a building that has collapsed. They are pinned under a large concrete slab and are crying out for their mother to come and save them. The mother tells them, "Just a minute!" and waits until the end of her television show. Then she goes upstairs, has a shower, changes her clothes, puts on makeup, does her hair, and fixes a meal for herself. Only after a couple hours does she saunter out the door and then go rescue her child. Would you call that love? What is God waiting for? Does he not love us? Does he not care? Apparently not, for he has been waiting for thousands of years to come stop evil, and it doesn't appear that he's going to come resolve it anytime soon either.(Jordan;59774)
In your mind that you think this way, because you only look at your own perspective and others human perspective and not God. And no, God is no where near evil. In fact there is none in Him.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize evil when they see it out there. The only reason you say "There is no evil in God" is because that's what he apparently has told you. There's no guarantee that the Bible's words are actually the words of God, but even if they are, we have no basis for knowing whether he is lying to us. The only way to determine this is to compare what he says with what we see in the world around us, and these two do not match. That is how we determine whether anyone is lying - do their words match up with reality? When we see that God's words do not, we are left with only one conclusion - he has lied to us. His words are untrue.At any rate, so I don't confuse anyone again, this is all for Jordan's posts. Now I will discuss logabe's.(logabe;59767)
We are called to get to know the God of the Bible, so that we begin to comprehend Him and the way He thinks by the mind of the Spirit. This is often difficult, especially the more evil we see and the more that bad things happen to us personally. Our perspective is simply too limited, too personal, too myopic, and so it is fortunate that we ourselves are not God.
This is not, in fact, the case, however. Christians believe that God has indeed given them almost the entire timeline of human history in the Bible. We don't have such a narrow vision, because we can read about all the highlights of history as revealed in the Word of God himself. Do you not believe that the Bible is there to help us understand the mind of God himself? Perhaps we cannot know perfectly, but I think it paints a pretty clear picture. It gives us a baseline for how God apparently acts throughout history, and tells us about his plan for the future as well. I don't have to rely on my own personal experience to show me that God, if he exists, is evil. He has already portrayed that for us all throughout the entire timeline of history - if indeed the history given in the Bible is accurate.(logabe;59767)
This attitude is the primary mark of spiritualmaturity in Scripture. All the bitterness and anger of his youth had melted away, once he saw the greater purpose of God in all the “evil” done to him. He had ceased to think of good and evil dualistically. He now saw both good and evil with a singular mind as proceeding from God and having an ultimate good purpose .
You point to an example of Joseph, and yet he relied only on his own personal experience to see God's hand at work. How is this a less narrow view of things? God may use evil for good, but it stands to reason that an omnipotent God could do so much better. Why not use good for good, and skip evil altogether? Right, right. Free will. Well then it still stands to reason that an omnipotent God could figure out a way to give us free will but no capacity to sin - kind of like the character he apparently has himself. He has free will, yet his nature will never cause him to sin. So why could he not do the same with us? The fact that he has to use evil at all implies that he was not strong/smart/loving enough to do away with it altogether.Why didn't he simply destroy Satan right after he rebelled? He has let that rivalry simmer and fester for thousands upon thousands of years without doing anything about that. If he had gotten rid of the problem at its source, then Mr. Satan wouldn't have been around to tempt Eve, and the whole mess could have been avoided.Boy, it's pretty scary when you have better foresight than God. A six-year-old child could have thought of that solution...

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you deny the omnipotent nature of God and the sovereignty of his plan. Do you know what "sovereignty" means? It has to do with the idea of supreme power. If Satan can thwart God's plan (by bringing evil into the world apart from God's plan, as you mentioned), then God's plan is not supreme. This makes Satan have at least the same amount of power, if not more, than God.
The sovereignty as you describe it does not exist. For I think it's you who don't understand this term. It means control over what you rule, but simply because it's not absolute, does that make it not sovereign? You clearly confuse sovereign with absolute.
Unfortunately, this only confuses the problem. You say that God will destroy evil in his own time, not ours. That's fine. But again, that's not love. For with every moment that passes where evil is still in this world, there are countless millions that suffer and die. There are millions that die every day without the knowledge of Christ - or they die in rebellion to him. By not doing what is in his power to do, he is condemning millions to death - both physical and spiritual. Is this love?
You're clearly looking at this from the perspective of the here and the now. It's the life vs. eternity debate. Assuming for just an instant that God is real, what is he more concerned with, the relative instant of time you are "alive" on this Earth or eternity? It's an obvious answer. If you continue to look at God in the perspective of a man, you'll spend the rest of your life in the same boat.When you reason out something, you don't reason out the properties of a lightbulb from a piece of paper. One operates in one capacity, the other in another.
Well then it still stands to reason that an omnipotent God could figure out a way to give us free will but no capacity to sin - kind of like the character he apparently has himself.
Why ever would God create another one of him? That in its very nature does not make sense.
Why didn't he simply destroy Satan right after he rebelled? He has let that rivalry simmer and fester for thousands upon thousands of years without doing anything about that. If he had gotten rid of the problem at its source, then Mr. Satan wouldn't have been around to tempt Eve, and the whole mess could have been avoided.
Love.Revelation 12:4
And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
In the end, he'll gain at least some of those that would have been otherwise lost. This is the same love that makes him leave the flock to save the one.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(jeffhughes;59776)
(Jordan;59738)
Then you deny the omnipotent nature of God and the sovereignty of his plan. Do you know what "sovereignty" means? It has to do with the idea of supreme power. If Satan can thwart God's plan (by bringing evil into the world apart from God's plan, as you mentioned), then God's plan is not supreme. This makes Satan have at least the same amount of power, if not more, than God.Nobody is saying that Satan has the same power of God either. To say so is absurb.(jeffhughes;59776)
(Jordan;59738)
It's not love if one doesn't stop evil. And also look above.
Um, yeah that's what I'm saying. If God doesn't stop evil, then it's not love he's giving us. I don't really know what it is, but it sure doesn't fit any definition of love.The bible says He will, not on our human time, but on His own time. So I have no problem with that as long He won't lie. But I already know He can't lie.(jeffhughes;59776)
(Jordan;59738)
By the way, some of these quotes you quoted is not even in my posts... so don't add words to my mouth.
I was responding to both you and logabe. I wasn't trying to misrepresent you, only respond to both posts at the same time. Sorry for the confusion.It's ok, forgiven.(jeffhughes;59776)
(Jordan;59753)
Free Will. Every single soul must come to exist in the flesh (human) body (past, present, future) to choose the ultimate decision. It is a person's choose Christ or THE Anti-Christ (Satan) And God will desroy evil in His time, not on our time.
Unfortunately, this only confuses the problem. You say that God will destroy evil in his own time, not ours. That's fine. But again, that's not love. For with every moment that passes where evil is still in this world, there are countless millions that suffer and die. There are millions that die every day without the knowledge of Christ - or they die in rebellion to him. By not doing what is in his power to do, he is condemning millions to death - both physical and spiritual. Is this love?To give you an example, imagine a mother whose child has just been trapped under a building that has collapsed. They are pinned under a large concrete slab and are crying out for their mother to come and save them. The mother tells them, "Just a minute!" and waits until the end of her television show. Then she goes upstairs, has a shower, changes her clothes, puts on makeup, does her hair, and fixes a meal for herself. Only after a couple hours does she saunter out the door and then go rescue her child. Would you call that love? What is God waiting for? Does he not love us? Does he not care? Apparently not, for he has been waiting for thousands of years to come stop evil, and it doesn't appear that he's going to come resolve it anytime soon either.You see God works in people IF they decide to let God work through them. It is impossible for Him to work through people IF they decide not to. It is ALL about a person choice. God can't force it on them.Secondly God cares about the condition of the soul and the heart is on.(jeffhughes;59776)
(Jordan;59774)
In your mind that you think this way, because you only look at your own perspective and others human perspective and not God. And no, God is no where near evil. In fact there is none in Him.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize evil when they see it out there. The only reason you say "There is no evil in God" is because that's what he apparently has told you. There's no guarantee that the Bible's words are actually the words of God, but even if they are, we have no basis for knowing whether he is lying to us. The only way to determine this is to compare what he says with what we see in the world around us, and these two do not match. That is how we determine whether anyone is lying - do their words match up with reality? When we see that God's words do not, we are left with only one conclusion - he has lied to us. His words are untrue.At any rate, so I don't confuse anyone again, this is all for Jordan's posts. Now I will discuss logabe's.And to your mind to say that God is evil... that's difinately what Satan has told you. God says only one thing and He has repeating it numerous times He never changes. If a person's mind says God is saying something different and makes contradiction to Himself... The problem is their mind, cause of lack of understanding. And yes the bible is a reality.At any rate, I don't think I can convince you of Truth at all, so I'll let it be. Going to give it in God's Hands. And if you want to hear from me again. Read page 7 & 8 of this thread.

Shornaal

May 20, 2008
(Jordan;59779)
And to your mind to say that God is evil... that's difinately what Satan has told you.
God kills firstborn in the bible is that not evil or are you saying Satan wrote the Bible?If killing firstborn is being good then perhaps I got a better chance at getting into heaven if I do the same.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Shornaal;59781)
(Jordan;59779)
And to your mind to say that God is evil... that's difinately what Satan has told you.
God kills firstborn in the bible is that not evil or are you saying Satan wrote the Bible?If killing firstborn is being good then perhaps I got a better chance at getting into heaven if I do the same.Of course you wouldn't understand what I'm going to say anyway... but firstly...Nobody can enter in good works...our works are just filthy rags. What kind of killing? If any and all form of killing is wrong... then it contradicts God's Words. God said, thou shalt not murder. We know God can't be the murderer at all. Again God cares for the state the soul and the heart is on.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
“The bottomless pit is the Vanity (EVIL) in (Romans 8:20). Let me explain.Vanity, according to Webster, is: excessive pride, conceit, lack ofusefulness, worthlessness, something vain or futile. According to theGreek, it means: depravity, empty, profitless, idol, vain, through the ideaof tentative manipulation, unsuccessful search, folly, to no purpose, tochew, gnaw.Okay…here we go. The bottomless pit is your belief system. What youbelieve or eat is what you become. Adam ate the fruit from the tree ofthe knowledge of good and evil and he broke the LAW of GOD. Wewere all in Adam and we have to suffer the pain and heartache of thatact. We are paying for Adam’s sin. That’s why JESUS came. He came toget us out of the pit of our thinking. It’s called the carnal mind.Paul said…“to be carnally minded (thinking the way the world systemthinks) is death.” This means you are dead to the things of God becauseof your interpretation of God. It is impossible to please God in thecarnal mind. Until you have been begotten of God, you cannot help butbelieve what the carnal mind is telling you.Back in the 80’s I saw on the front page of a magazine a man that was inthe middle of a desert buried in the sand with just his head sticking up.The sun was beating on top of his head and he was sweating profusely,but he thought that was going to save him. Now…this guy believed inwhat he was doing. My question is…Where did he get that from? I thinkhe got it from the carnal mind. What do you think?Now we have thousands (if not tens of thousands) of ways in the world tobe saved. Some people believe that cows will save them. Where do youthink they got that from? Some think the sun will save them. Somethink that if they kill enough infidels, they will get 100 virgins. Somethink that they are the only ones that are going to be saved because theyare living for God, while all the sinners are going to hell forever becausethey deserve it.Are you getting the point? Sounds like a bottomless pit to me. Exodus21:33-34 states…“If a man opens or digs a pit, and not cover it, andan ox or an ass fall therein; the OWNER of the pit shall make itgood, and give money unto the owner of them; and the dead beastshall be his.”God dug a pit and did not cover it. In essence, HE allowed the serpentin the Garden. According to GOD’S LAW, the OWNER (“GOD”) isresponsible. That’s why God sent JESUS to pay for the beast (man’snature), and the ass (man’s stubbornness), and the dead beast shallbe His. When God paid the price we were still dead. While we were yetin sin CHRIST died for us. He paid the wages of sin which is death. Healso had a plan to bring us out of the pits of hell. I haven’t heard thatphrase since the 90’s, but I’m going to use it anyway.In other words, God is changing the way we see Him. We have beenseeing Him through the wrong mind, which is bottomless. You cancome up with anything in the carnal mind that you and I think is ofGod, but until you study HIS WORD you have absolutely nothing tostand on. Studying HIS WORD does not save you, but it does put afoundation under your feet. It gives you something to stand on. It’s notbottomless.I have one last point to make. It is this: Jonah prayed from the fish’sbelly (Jonah 2:6), and the earth with her bars was about him forever(olam: undetermined time). In Jonah’s case it was three days. He sawhimself in prison on the earth. The point is that he recognized wherehe was without God. He said…“yet have You brought “UP” my lifefrom corruption.” Jonah gets specific and says in verse eight…“they thatobserve “LYING VANITIES” forsake their own mercy.” In other words,(according to Logabe) those that eat, believe, or walk in excessive pride,emptiness, vanity, conceit, folly, manipulation, or worthlessness are inthe prison of their own mind (the bottomless pit). There's our "evil" thats keeping us from God.God is in the process of bringing every man and woman out ofthe bottomless pit of their carnal minds. The carnal mind has nobottom. Some will come sooner, and some will come later, but everyonewill come in his own order (out of the bottomless pit)!” God has Promised that ( Act's 3:26).Logabe

Shornaal

May 20, 2008
(Jordan;59787)
Of course you wouldn't understand what I'm going to say anyway... but firstly...Nobody can enter in good works...our works are just filthy rags. What kind of killing? If any and all form of killing is wrong... then it contradicts God's Words. God said, thou shalt not murder. We know God can't be the murderer at all. Again God cares for the state the soul and the heart is on.
But the bible even states he killed them and killing is killing, whether you're a god or not therefor if he were to exist he would be evil so I am glad he doesn't.What I glean from your posts it seems your faith is just an excuse for not having to act and not having to think since your god looks down upon those things.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
Swamp Fox;59778]The sovereignty as you describe it does not exist. For I think it said:
You're clearly looking at this from the perspective of the here and the now. It's the life vs. eternity debate. Assuming for just an instant that God is real' date=' what is he more concerned with, the relative instant of time you are "alive" on this Earth or eternity? It's an obvious answer. If you continue to look at God in the perspective of a man, you'll spend the rest of your life in the same boat.[/QUOTE']1. This essentially is saying that God has no interest in what we do in this life or how much we suffer. Yes, okay, it's a fraction of time in the glimpse of eternity, but this life is still very much real. And how much time it comprises makes no difference. Suffering is still suffering. An omnipotent God should not have to use suffering anywhere in his plan if he is really a loving God. Try spouting this paragraph off to a small child in Africa dying of AIDS. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.2. For those who believe in hell (although if I remember correctly, you may be one of the ones that does not), suffering comprises a much larger portion of time. Namely, eternity.
Swamp Fox;59778]Why ever would God create another one of him? That in its very nature does not make sense.[/QUOTE]I did not say another one of him. We would not need the same amount of power as him. But we are already apparently made in his image said:
He loves Satan, so he's keeping him around? Well...he's already foretold his destruction. Doesn't sound like love to me. And why didn't he keep the Assyrians, or the Hittites, or the Amorites around? Didn't he love them too?
Swamp Fox;59778]In the end said:
Nobody is saying that Satan has the same power of God either. To say so is absurb.
Then you explain how an omnipotent God with a sovereign plan foretold from before the foundations of the earth could have said plan thwarted by Satan. Either God's plan will come about or it will not. If Satan's already messed up his plan once' date=' it doesn't give much assurance that it won't happen again.
Swamp Fox;59778' said:
The bible says He will, not on our human time, but on His own time. So I have no problem with that as long He won't lie. But I already know He can't lie.
And how do you know he can't lie? Because he told you so? Hah. But would you believe a liar if he said, "I'm not lying?" No, you can't trust a person's words, especially when they do not line up with their actions.
Swamp Fox;59778]You see God works in people [b][u]IF[/u][/b] they decide to let God work through them. It is impossible for Him to work through people [b][u]IF[/u][/b] they decide not to. It is [b][u]ALL[/u][/b] about a person choice. God can said:
Impossible' date=' eh? Hmm....so God isn't omnipotent?
Swamp Fox;59778']And to your mind to say that God is evil... that's difinately what Satan has told you. God says only one thing and He has repeating it numerous times He never changes. If a person's mind says God is saying something different and makes contradiction to Himself... The problem is their mind said:
Nobody can enter in good works...our works are just filthy rags. What kind of killing? If any and all form of killing is wrong... then it contradicts God's Words. God said' date=' thou shalt not murder. We know God can't be the murderer at all. Again God cares for the state the soul and the heart is on.[/QUOTE']How is killing innocent children and babies not murder? My understanding is that the difference between murder and killing is premeditated forethought (usually the distinction is made between murder and war). Well, God planned it out ahead of time (a long time ago, actually), and he certainly wasn't at war with little children. So therefore, it's murder. God murdered innocent children. Lovely.I will respond to logabe's post later today. I'm a little short on time right now.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(logabe;59799)
“The bottomless pit is the Vanity (EVIL) in (Romans 8:20). Let me explain.Vanity, according to Webster, is: excessive pride, conceit, lack ofusefulness, worthlessness, something vain or futile. According to theGreek, it means: depravity, empty, profitless, idol, vain, through the ideaof tentative manipulation, unsuccessful search, folly, to no purpose, tochew, gnaw.
Okay, so here we have a definition. Great. No problems there. I don't see how you link "the bottomless pit" to that verse, since it's not mentioned, but okay. So you're making an arbitrary connection between them. Great.(logabe;59799)
Okay…here we go. The bottomless pit is your belief system. What you believe or eat is what you become. Adam ate the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and he broke the LAW of GOD. We were all in Adam and we have to suffer the pain and heartache of that act. We are paying for Adam’s sin. That’s why JESUS came. He came toget us out of the pit of our thinking. It’s called the carnal mind.
Again, you're arbitrarily linking the concept of original sin to this "bottomless pit." Where is the justification for this? At any rate, my question to this would be, "Why is God punishing us for Adam's sin?" Seems like an act of cruelty to punish Person 2 for Person 1's mistake. But at any rate, we'll set that aside.(logabe;59799)
Paul said…“to be carnally minded (thinking the way the world system thinks) is death.” This means you are dead to the things of God because of your interpretation of God. It is impossible to please God in the carnal mind. Until you have been begotten of God, you cannot help butbelieve what the carnal mind is telling you.
Oh, so we can't help but believe our carnal mind before God changes things. So it is God's fault that unbelievers do not believe? Well isn't that just sweet. He doesn't change their minds, and then he punishes them for not believing in something they can't believe in. Again, nothing but cruelty here. You have not redeemed your God's morality.(logabe;59799)
Back in the 80’s I saw on the front page of a magazine a man that was in the middle of a desert buried in the sand with just his head sticking up.The sun was beating on top of his head and he was sweating profusely,but he thought that was going to save him. Now…this guy believed inwhat he was doing. My question is…Where did he get that from? I thinkhe got it from the carnal mind. What do you think?
I don't see what this has to do with the "carnal mind" at all. He obviously was in a desperate situation and made a decision. A bad one, yes, but so what? At least he chose something and followed through with it. When you're stranded in a desert, following through could be the difference between life and death. But at any rate....why did you mention this?(logabe;59799)
Now we have thousands (if not tens of thousands) of ways in the world to be saved. Some people believe that cows will save them. Where do you think they got that from? Some think the sun will save them. Some think that if they kill enough infidels, they will get 100 virgins. Some think that they are the only ones that are going to be saved because they are living for God, while all the sinners are going to hell forever becausethey deserve it.
Where did they get this? From their own minds, where else? You really think that your religion has more justification than worshipping cows or blowing yourself up to get to heaven? The only criteria you have for classifying these as "carnal" is this: I don't believe it, therefore it's from the carnal mind. You fail to realize that all these other religions say the exact same thing about you. The ones who worship cows believe that you are out of your mind and being "carnal" too. So who says which one is right? Obviously we need some outside justification here.(logabe;59799)
Are you getting the point? Sounds like a bottomless pit to me. Exodus 21:33-34 states…“If a man opens or digs a pit, and not cover it, and an ox or an ass fall therein; the OWNER of the pit shall make itgood, and give money unto the owner of them; and the dead beastshall be his.”
Cool. Alrighty then.(logabe;59799)
God dug a pit and did not cover it. In essence, HE allowed the serpent in the Garden. According to GOD’S LAW, the OWNER (“GOD”) is responsible. That’s why God sent JESUS to pay for the beast (man’s nature), and the ass (man’s stubbornness), and the dead beast shallbe His. When God paid the price we were still dead. While we were yetin sin CHRIST died for us. He paid the wages of sin which is death. Healso had a plan to bring us out of the pits of hell. I haven’t heard thatphrase since the 90’s, but I’m going to use it anyway.
So you say that God allowed the serpent into the garden, huh? This single act is what is responsible for (according to Christians, anyway) all the suffering in all of human history. You're saying that God either a) set up this problem for some odd reason, or
cool.gif
made a mistake and then had to go and correct it. Why else would God "dig a pit and not cover it" in the first place? By saying this you have done nothing but put the blame for sin and suffering square on the shoulders of God.(logabe;59799)
In other words, God is changing the way we see Him. We have been seeing Him through the wrong mind, which is bottomless. You can come up with anything in the carnal mind that you and I think is ofGod, but until you study HIS WORD you have absolutely nothing tostand on. Studying HIS WORD does not save you, but it does put afoundation under your feet. It gives you something to stand on. It’s notbottomless.
Circular reasoning. You are assuming that the Bible is true, then using it to justify itself. Let's use some outside justification here. Why should I believe the words of a book that do not match up with our observations about this world? What confidence can I have in such a book? Simply asserting its truth does not solve anything.(logabe;59799)
I have one last point to make. It is this: Jonah prayed from the fish’s belly (Jonah 2:6), and the earth with her bars was about him forever (olam: undetermined time). In Jonah’s case it was three days. He sawhimself in prison on the earth. The point is that he recognized wherehe was without God. He said…“yet have You brought “UP” my lifefrom corruption.” Jonah gets specific and says in verse eight…“they thatobserve “LYING VANITIES” forsake their own mercy.” In other words,(according to Logabe) those that eat, believe, or walk in excessive pride,emptiness, vanity, conceit, folly, manipulation, or worthlessness are inthe prison of their own mind (the bottomless pit). There's our "evil" thats keeping us from God.
You are again arbitrarily connecting this verse to your whole "bottomless pit" thing. What justification do you have for this? But even if we are in this "prison of our own mind," then we have no escape unless God does something. Since he has not, it is his responsibility, and he is to blame. You consistently fail to provide any justification for your God's actions that rescue him from the charge of cruelty - or at least neglect.(logabe;59799)
God is in the process of bringing every man and woman out of the bottomless pit of their carnal minds. The carnal mind has nobottom. Some will come sooner, and some will come later, but everyonewill come in his own order (out of the bottomless pit)!” God has Promised that ( Act's 3:26).
Then by your reasoning, I have no choice but to argue against you on this matter until God does his little thing. You had better hope for your own sake that that moment is sooner rather than later, because right now I don't see you as having even a leg to stand on with this issue. You cannot accept that your God is cruel, so you make ridiculous rationalizations to try and justify his actions - none of which completely cover all of his hideous deeds. Face it - your God is not full of love. His actions completely show otherwise. Is not someone who murders a murderer? Is not someone who lies a liar? Is not someone who steals a thief? God, who is apparently in control of all things, has done all these and more. His actions have no justification that could allow for one to call him "loving".