Entire sanctification in this life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What is entire sanctification?
entire sanctification
ANSWER

Entire sanctification, also known as Christian perfectionism or sometimes sinless perfection, is the teaching that a Christian can reach such a state of holiness that he or she ceases to sin in this life.

The words sanctification, sanctify, saint, holy, and consecrate all come from the same root and all have to do with being “set apart.” God is holy in that He is set apart from every other thing and especially set apart from any sin. When applied to creatures, sanctification has two senses. The first refers to the formal declaration that something has been set apart for God. For instance, the various pieces of equipment used in the tabernacle and temple were consecrated—set apart for specific use by God. Likewise, the priests were consecrated for service to God. When people come to faith in Christ, they are sanctified—they are formally designated as belonging to God. They are a holy people (1 Peter 2:9). Even the Corinthian church, which had members participating in all sorts of ungodly behavior, could be referred to as a group of “saints” (1 Corinthians 1:2) because they were children of God through faith in Christ. This is often called “positional sanctification.”

There is a second sense in which sanctification applies to believers. When they initially come to faith and are set apart for God, their actions may not be much different from their actions before. They have been formally (positionally) sanctified, but now they need to be practically sanctified—that is, they need to start living in a way that is set apart to God; they need to practice holiness. As believers grow in their relationship with the Lord, their behavior should change to be more conformed to what God desires—they will become more and more sanctified. This is often called “progressive sanctification.”

Using these two senses of the word sanctified, it is fitting to say that all believers are sanctified, but they also need to increasingly be more sanctified. They are holy, but they need to increase in holiness. They are saints, but they need to live like saints. The question regarding entire sanctification is, can any believer become fully sanctified in the practical sense? Can a believer reach a point in this life where he is so in fellowship with God and so in tune with the Holy Spirit that he no longer commits sin?

Those who hold to the doctrine of entire sanctification believe that it is indeed possible for Christians to be so sanctified in their behavior that they no longer sin. According to the concept of entire sanctification, it is possible not to sin, and some believers actually fulfill this possibility in their daily lives. Entire sanctification is then presented as an ideal that is attainable for any believer. The command to “be holy” in Matthew 5:48 is just one verse that is used as proof of this possibility. Why would God command us to do something that is impossible for us to do? Perhaps 1 John 3:6 is the most powerful proof-text: “No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.”

Those who deny the possibility of entire sanctification agree that holiness is the goal and should be the desire of every believer, but that it simply cannot be attained here on earth—sin is simply too pervasive. Interpreting 1 John 3:6, they would point out that the verb sins is in the present tense and indicates an ongoing, habitual pattern of unrepentant sin. They would also point out that the epistle of 1 John also speaks of Jesus being the Advocate for sinning believers and that, if we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves (1 John 2:1; 1:8).

In the final analysis, there is nothing in Scripture that teaches that believers will become perfect in this life. Entire sanctification will take place when we reach heaven, but not until. The expectation is that believers on earth will continue to sin and need to be cleansed (1 John 1:9). It is realistic to expect that Christians will not live in conscious sinful rebellion against God, but sin is too pervasive to ever escape its contaminations in this life. The goal is that, even though sin is present, it should not dominate us. “Count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace” (Romans 6:11–14). At any given moment, a believer may be cooperating with the Holy Spirit’s leading rather than actively rebelling against it, but, even in our best moments, we have not reached sinless perfection.

The commands of God and the demands of Scripture upon our lives are encompassing; it strains credulity for any believer to claim that he is living in perfect obedience to all that God has said. Jesus said that the greatest commandment is “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind” (Matthew 22:37) and that the second is similar: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:38).

It is one thing for a believer to say that there is no known area of rebellion against God in his or her life, but it is quite another to say that he or she loves God wholly and perfectly. It is one thing to say that a believer does not harbor any hatred for his neighbor, but quite another to assert that the believer loves his neighbors the way he loves himself.

First Thessalonians 1:17 commands believers to “pray without ceasing.” A believer may have a robust prayer life, but can any believer in all honesty claim to fully obey this command? Most believers find that, when they are convicted of one area of sin and repent of it, they will then become aware of another area that they may not have been aware of before. If a Christian has come to the place where he simply cannot identify any areas of sinfulness in his own life, he should not assume he has attained entire sanctification. Rather, he would be well advised to ask his spouse or other close friends or relatives for their perspective. He might be surprised at how blinded he has become to areas of sinfulness in his own life that are readily evident to others.

What is entire sanctification? | GotQuestions.org.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that matter answered fully by Paul,

1 Corinthians 4:1-5 KJV
1) Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2) Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
3) But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
4) For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5) Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

No one but God Himself is qualified to judge us. We certainly are not qualified to judge ourselves.

So the one who thinks they are without sin, the most truthful statement they could make about themselves is, "I'm not aware of any sins I am committing".

While I've come across those who claim sinlessness, either they have some weird logic about how the sins they commit don't really count, or, their definition of sin is incomplete, or some such. And in most cases, simply being the one to challenge their statements has put me on the receiving end of their sinful acts. Interesting how that works out!

There is nothing in the Bible that says we cannot live sanctified lives, but there are several things in the Bible that speak as though we will not be perfected in this life.

Philippians 3:20-21 KJV
20) For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21) Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The OP denies abiding in Christ (where there is no sin) is possible. When we are forgiven we are cleansed of ALL unrighteousness. How long can we stay pure for after being cleansed? That is the question. We remain pure for as long as we remain in Christ. His keeping power keeps us in a heavenly resurrection walk until we fall from grace.

If you look at this from a carnal standpoint you will use human reasoning and go by your previous experience. If you have not yet experienced the grace of God as the power over sin...you will take the same stance as an unbeliever in regard to grace (as it really is).

Most people come here with stiff necks. Ready to repeat everything they have been taught but unable to discuss, reason, and remain honest.

There is NO process of sanctification. There is instant sanctification IN Christ. He is already holy. Having a works mindset in regard to grace is to frustrate the grace of God. Most people here see sinless perfection as an effort...rather than being located in Christ.

Why do people not think that Jesus is perfect? In Him is NO sin. In Him we are as He is in the world. As He is so are we in this world. That is....when we are located in Him.

Why do people think the righteousness of God is as filthy rags? Sure people see their own sinfulness. But to think that one can bring that sinfulness INTO Christ with them proves they don't know Him. How many have never known Him who claim to be covered by grace? We will find out soon enough. Many will weep and be angry that they approached sound teaching with pride rather than with an open mind.

Why do people believe in a sinful holiness? Why? Because they have been conditioned and indoctrinated to resist sound doctrine. And it works so well because it already lines up with an innate unbelief in the outer religious nature of man in all things that pertain to the works of Christ.

Reactions: faithfulness

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I find that matter answered fully by Paul,

1 Corinthians 4:1-5 KJV
1) Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2) Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
3) But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
4) For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5) Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

No one but God Himself is qualified to judge us. We certainly are not qualified to judge ourselves.

So the one who thinks they are without sin, the most truthful statement they could make about themselves is, "I'm not aware of any sins I am committing".

While I've come across those who claim sinlessness, either they have some weird logic about how the sins they commit don't really count, or, their definition of sin is incomplete, or some such. And in most cases, simply being the one to challenge their statements has put me on the receiving end of their sinful acts. Interesting how that works out!

There is nothing in the Bible that says we cannot live sanctified lives, but there are several things in the Bible that speak as though we will not be perfected in this life.

Philippians 3:20-21 KJV
20) For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21) Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Much love!

I am learning a lot of wacko, not to be find in scriptures, teachings on this platform @marks...and am on the receiving end, like you.
Welcome brother, a fresh breeze, till you see my comments to flippant members...
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You are flippant incorrect.
J.
What is progressive sanctification?
progressive sanctification
audio
ANSWER

The word translated “sanctification” in most Bibles means “separation.” It is used in the New Testament, according to Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, of the separation of the believer from evil, and it is the result of obedience to the Word of God. Progressive sanctification is what gradually separates the people of God from the world and makes them more and more like Jesus Christ.

Sanctification differs from justification in several ways. Justification is a one-time work of God, resulting in a declaration of “not guilty” before Him because of the work of Christ on the cross. Sanctification is a process, beginning with justification and continuing throughout life. Justification is the starting point of the line that represents one’s Christian life; sanctification is the line itself.

Sanctification is a three-stage process – past, present, and future.

The first stage occurs at the beginning of our Christian lives. It is an initial moral change, a break from the power and love of sin. It is the point at which believers can count themselves “dead to sin but alive to God” (Romans 6:11).

Once sanctification has begun, we are no longer under sin’s dominion (Romans 6:14). There is a reorientation of desires, and we develop a love of righteousness. Paul calls it “slavery to righteousness” (Romans 6:17-18).

The second stage of sanctification requires a lifetime to complete. As we grow in grace, we are gradually – but steadily – changing to be more like Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:18).

This occurs in a process of daily spiritual renewal (Colossians 3:10). The apostle Paul himself was being sanctified even as he ministered to others. Paul claimed that he had not reached perfection, but that he “pressed on” to attain everything Christ desired for him (Philippians 3:12).....ARE YOU GREATER THAN PAUL!

The third and final stage of sanctification occurs in the future. When believers die, their spirits go to be with Christ (2 Corinthians 5:6-8). Since nothing unclean can enter heaven (Revelation 21:27), we must be made perfect at that point. The sanctification of the whole person—body, soul, and spirit—will finally be complete when the Lord Jesus returns and we receive glorified bodies (Philippians 3:21; 1 Corinthians 15:35-49).

God’s work in sanctification involves all three members of the Trinity. God the Father is constantly at work in His children “to will and to work for His good pleasure” (Philippians 2:13). He changes our desires, making us want to please Him, and He empowers us to do so. Jesus earned our sanctification on the cross and, in essence, has become our sanctification (1 Corinthians 1:30) and the “perfecter of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2). The Holy Spirit is the primary agent of our sanctification (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Peter 1:2), and He is the one who produces in us the fruit of sanctification (Galatians 5:22-23).

Our role in sanctification is both passive and active. Passively, we are to trust God to sanctify us, presenting our bodies to God (Romans 6:13; 12:1) and yielding to the Holy Spirit. “It is God’s will that you should be sanctified” (1 Thessalonians 4:3), and God will have His way.

Actively, we are responsible to choose to do what is right. “Each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable” (1 Thessalonians 4:4). This involves putting to death the “misdeeds of the body” (Romans 8:13), striving for holiness (Hebrews 12:14), fleeing immorality (1 Corinthians 6:18), cleansing ourselves from every defilement (2 Corinthians 7:1), and making every effort to supplement our faith (2 Peter 1:5-11).

Both the passive role and the active role are necessary for a healthy Christian life. To emphasize the passive role tends to lead to spiritual laziness and a neglect of spiritual discipline. The end result of this course of action is a lack of maturity. To emphasize the active role can lead to legalism, pride, and self-righteousness. The end result of this is a joyless Christian life. We must remember that we pursue holiness, but only as God empowers us to do so. The end result is a consistent, mature Christian life that faithfully reflects the nature of our holy God.

John makes it clear that we will never be totally free from sin in this life (1 John 1:8-10). Thankfully, the work God has begun in us He will finish (Philippians 1:6).
Source
What is progressive sanctification? | GotQuestions.org).

J.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are flippant incorrect.
J.

Even you, Johann has an inner man somewhere in there. You are allowing your religious outer man to make arguments...and I'm sure you would want to add carnal force to your words with expletives...if you could. Why can't you see where your reasoning is coming from? It's coming from the sinful part of you.

You need to learn more about yourself...before trying to argue points from the wrong part of you.

Love is easy to entreat. It rejoices in the truth. But religion divides people because it is based on pride.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is progressive sanctification?
progressive sanctification
audio
ANSWER

The word translated “sanctification” in most Bibles means “separation.” It is used in the New Testament, according to Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, of the separation of the believer from evil, and it is the result of obedience to the Word of God. Progressive sanctification is what gradually separates the people of God from the world and makes them more and more like Jesus Christ.

Sanctification differs from justification in several ways. Justification is a one-time work of God, resulting in a declaration of “not guilty” before Him because of the work of Christ on the cross. Sanctification is a process, beginning with justification and continuing throughout life. Justification is the starting point of the line that represents one’s Christian life; sanctification is the line itself.

Sanctification is a three-stage process – past, present, and future.

The first stage occurs at the beginning of our Christian lives. It is an initial moral change, a break from the power and love of sin. It is the point at which believers can count themselves “dead to sin but alive to God” (Romans 6:11).

Once sanctification has begun, we are no longer under sin’s dominion (Romans 6:14). There is a reorientation of desires, and we develop a love of righteousness. Paul calls it “slavery to righteousness” (Romans 6:17-18).

The second stage of sanctification requires a lifetime to complete. As we grow in grace, we are gradually – but steadily – changing to be more like Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:18).

This occurs in a process of daily spiritual renewal (Colossians 3:10). The apostle Paul himself was being sanctified even as he ministered to others. Paul claimed that he had not reached perfection, but that he “pressed on” to attain everything Christ desired for him (Philippians 3:12).....ARE YOU GREATER THAN PAUL!

The third and final stage of sanctification occurs in the future. When believers die, their spirits go to be with Christ (2 Corinthians 5:6-8). Since nothing unclean can enter heaven (Revelation 21:27), we must be made perfect at that point. The sanctification of the whole person—body, soul, and spirit—will finally be complete when the Lord Jesus returns and we receive glorified bodies (Philippians 3:21; 1 Corinthians 15:35-49).

God’s work in sanctification involves all three members of the Trinity. God the Father is constantly at work in His children “to will and to work for His good pleasure” (Philippians 2:13). He changes our desires, making us want to please Him, and He empowers us to do so. Jesus earned our sanctification on the cross and, in essence, has become our sanctification (1 Corinthians 1:30) and the “perfecter of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2). The Holy Spirit is the primary agent of our sanctification (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Peter 1:2), and He is the one who produces in us the fruit of sanctification (Galatians 5:22-23).

Our role in sanctification is both passive and active. Passively, we are to trust God to sanctify us, presenting our bodies to God (Romans 6:13; 12:1) and yielding to the Holy Spirit. “It is God’s will that you should be sanctified” (1 Thessalonians 4:3), and God will have His way.

Actively, we are responsible to choose to do what is right. “Each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable” (1 Thessalonians 4:4). This involves putting to death the “misdeeds of the body” (Romans 8:13), striving for holiness (Hebrews 12:14), fleeing immorality (1 Corinthians 6:18), cleansing ourselves from every defilement (2 Corinthians 7:1), and making every effort to supplement our faith (2 Peter 1:5-11).

Both the passive role and the active role are necessary for a healthy Christian life. To emphasize the passive role tends to lead to spiritual laziness and a neglect of spiritual discipline. The end result of this course of action is a lack of maturity. To emphasize the active role can lead to legalism, pride, and self-righteousness. The end result of this is a joyless Christian life. We must remember that we pursue holiness, but only as God empowers us to do so. The end result is a consistent, mature Christian life that faithfully reflects the nature of our holy God.

John makes it clear that we will never be totally free from sin in this life (1 John 1:8-10). Thankfully, the work God has begun in us He will finish (Philippians 1:6).
Source
What is progressive sanctification? | GotQuestions.org).

J.

You are confusing PURITY with MATURITY. No one improves themselves into holiness. That's beyond ridiculous to think that.

With religious people up is down and down is up.

Religious people will say that sanctification is a process of improvement into holiness. THAT is a gospel of works. YET...they will claim (being upside down) that an INSTANT gift of sanctification by the grace of God is a human work!
One cannot be more confused than to get things exactly backwards.

What is a process is salvation INTO the full stature of Christ. Not the full stature of the Father. It is the gravest of sins to want to be like the Most High. But is desirable and the will of God that we be conformed to Christ in maturity and character.

Time is running short.

It is time to abandon the traditions of men and look to God to be enlightened by His Spirit. :)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a [sinful] irony to the idea of living in the world without sin. It's even an oxymoron. The problem comes in settling into life in the world, rather than life above. This is a form or an admitted level of unbelief--an acceptance of the lie that salvation is not the passing from death to life, but is rather a "process." The lie is that we "will" pass from death to life, rather than we "have" (past tense) passed from death to life, as the scriptures say. Therefore, if one "has been" sanctified..."It is finished."

To belief otherwise, is rather mere philosophy taught by those who hold to the things and ways of this world.

Alternatively...just as Jesus asked "Do you believe this?"...perfection is only attained by belief.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
keeping power keeps us in a heavenly resurrection walk until we fall from grace.

If you look at this from a carnal standpoint you will use human reasoning and go by your previous experience. If you have not yet experienced the grace of God as the power over sin...you will take the same stance as an unbeliever in regard to grace (as it really is).

Most people come here with stiff necks. Ready to repeat everything they have been taught but unable to discuss, reason, and remain honest.

There is NO process of sanctification.
Another one advocating sinless perfection...from you of all people.

The OP denies....no, we are IN Christ, sealed with the Holy Spirit brother, and we are not sinless.
Are you smug in your beliefs, and these "stiff necks" unable to discuss, reason and remain honest?
No process of hagiosune/sanctification?

Which "denomination" are you affiliated with?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Religious people will say that sanctification is a process of improvement into holiness. THAT is a gospel of works. YET...they will claim (being upside down) that an INSTANT gift of sanctification by the grace of God is a human work!
One cannot be more confused than to get things exactly backwards.
What is progressive sanctification? Progressive sanctification is a process by which the Spirit produces in believers a gradual increase likeness to Christ. It is a life long process. The extent of progress varies in believers but should be gradually increasing. Since progressive sanctification forms the crux of the believer's life on earth, it is vitally important to understand it. These notes will not attempt to address every theological nuance, but give a plain, simple explanation of progressive sanctification with the prayer being that you will (1) truly understand the importance of this truth for your Christian life and (2) that you will put it into everyday practice and grow, grow, grow, until you "go" (to be with Jesus)!

First look at the word progressive which means

gradually advancing in extent;
characterized by progress;
happening or developing gradually or in stages
moving forward or onward
change that occurs gradually over a period of time.
Second sanctification is defined as..

the act or process of acquiring sanctity, of being made or becoming holy.
act or process of being set apart as or declared holy; consecrated
the state of growing in divine grace as a result of Christian commitment after conversion
process by which a Christian believer is made holy through the action of the Holy Spirit (Secular dictionary!)
The act of making holy. In an evangelical sense, the act of God’s grace by which the affections of men are purified or alienated from sin and the world, and exalted to a supreme love to God. The act of consecrating or of setting apart for a sacred purpose. (Webster's 1828 Dictionary)
the process of God’s grace by which the believer is separated from sin and becomes dedicated to God’s righteousness. Accomplished by the Word of God (John 17:7) and the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:3–4), sanctification results in holiness, or purification from the guilt and power of sin. Sanctification as separation from the world and setting apart for God’s service is a concept found throughout the Bible. (Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary)
Note that there are three aspects in the sanctification of a believer which are depicted in the Table below (with Scriptures supporting each phrase of sanctification) often described as the Three Tenses of Salvation -

Past Tense - Positional Sanctification at time of Justification by faith, a one time event when a person passes from spiritual death to spiritual life, becoming a new supernatural creation in Christ (2 Cor 5:17). It is also known as "Initial Sanctification" and "Past Tense Salvation" = We have been saved.
Present Tense - Progressive Sanctification that begins at the time we are justified by faith and continues throughout our life on earth. It is also known as "Growing in Christlikeness," and "Present Tense Salvation" = We are daily, moment by moment being saved. "He Who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Php 1:6).
Future Tense - Perfect Sanctification most commonly known as Glorification which is a one time event. A synonym is Perpetual, Eternal Sanctification.

You have a problem with this?

And you are right, time is running out for "religious folks"
J.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is entire sanctification?
entire sanctification
ANSWER

Entire sanctification, also known as Christian perfectionism or sometimes sinless perfection, is the teaching that a Christian can reach such a state of holiness that he or she ceases to sin in this life.

The words sanctification, sanctify, saint, holy, and consecrate all come from the same root and all have to do with being “set apart.” God is holy in that He is set apart from every other thing and especially set apart from any sin. When applied to creatures, sanctification has two senses. The first refers to the formal declaration that something has been set apart for God. For instance, the various pieces of equipment used in the tabernacle and temple were consecrated—set apart for specific use by God. Likewise, the priests were consecrated for service to God. When people come to faith in Christ, they are sanctified—they are formally designated as belonging to God. They are a holy people (1 Peter 2:9). Even the Corinthian church, which had members participating in all sorts of ungodly behavior, could be referred to as a group of “saints” (1 Corinthians 1:2) because they were children of God through faith in Christ. This is often called “positional sanctification.”

There is a second sense in which sanctification applies to believers. When they initially come to faith and are set apart for God, their actions may not be much different from their actions before. They have been formally (positionally) sanctified, but now they need to be practically sanctified—that is, they need to start living in a way that is set apart to God; they need to practice holiness. As believers grow in their relationship with the Lord, their behavior should change to be more conformed to what God desires—they will become more and more sanctified. This is often called “progressive sanctification.”

Using these two senses of the word sanctified, it is fitting to say that all believers are sanctified, but they also need to increasingly be more sanctified. They are holy, but they need to increase in holiness. They are saints, but they need to live like saints. The question regarding entire sanctification is, can any believer become fully sanctified in the practical sense? Can a believer reach a point in this life where he is so in fellowship with God and so in tune with the Holy Spirit that he no longer commits sin?

Those who hold to the doctrine of entire sanctification believe that it is indeed possible for Christians to be so sanctified in their behavior that they no longer sin. According to the concept of entire sanctification, it is possible not to sin, and some believers actually fulfill this possibility in their daily lives. Entire sanctification is then presented as an ideal that is attainable for any believer. The command to “be holy” in Matthew 5:48 is just one verse that is used as proof of this possibility. Why would God command us to do something that is impossible for us to do? Perhaps 1 John 3:6 is the most powerful proof-text: “No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.”

Those who deny the possibility of entire sanctification agree that holiness is the goal and should be the desire of every believer, but that it simply cannot be attained here on earth—sin is simply too pervasive. Interpreting 1 John 3:6, they would point out that the verb sins is in the present tense and indicates an ongoing, habitual pattern of unrepentant sin. They would also point out that the epistle of 1 John also speaks of Jesus being the Advocate for sinning believers and that, if we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves (1 John 2:1; 1:8).

In the final analysis, there is nothing in Scripture that teaches that believers will become perfect in this life. Entire sanctification will take place when we reach heaven, but not until. The expectation is that believers on earth will continue to sin and need to be cleansed (1 John 1:9). It is realistic to expect that Christians will not live in conscious sinful rebellion against God, but sin is too pervasive to ever escape its contaminations in this life. The goal is that, even though sin is present, it should not dominate us. “Count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace” (Romans 6:11–14). At any given moment, a believer may be cooperating with the Holy Spirit’s leading rather than actively rebelling against it, but, even in our best moments, we have not reached sinless perfection.

The commands of God and the demands of Scripture upon our lives are encompassing; it strains credulity for any believer to claim that he is living in perfect obedience to all that God has said. Jesus said that the greatest commandment is “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind” (Matthew 22:37) and that the second is similar: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:38).

It is one thing for a believer to say that there is no known area of rebellion against God in his or her life, but it is quite another to say that he or she loves God wholly and perfectly. It is one thing to say that a believer does not harbor any hatred for his neighbor, but quite another to assert that the believer loves his neighbors the way he loves himself.

First Thessalonians 1:17 commands believers to “pray without ceasing.” A believer may have a robust prayer life, but can any believer in all honesty claim to fully obey this command? Most believers find that, when they are convicted of one area of sin and repent of it, they will then become aware of another area that they may not have been aware of before. If a Christian has come to the place where he simply cannot identify any areas of sinfulness in his own life, he should not assume he has attained entire sanctification. Rather, he would be well advised to ask his spouse or other close friends or relatives for their perspective. He might be surprised at how blinded he has become to areas of sinfulness in his own life that are readily evident to others.

What is entire sanctification? | GotQuestions.org.
Those who are called to be Saints/ Holy Ones/ Bride of Christ/ Anointed/ Elect/ Chosen Ones/ etc, become such with their anointing with holy spirit Joe. They receive their reward and will be perfect if they remain faithful upon their resurrection. Neither they, nor the other sheep not among their fold are perfect in this life. The other sheep will all be perfect prior to satans release from the abyss.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification is part of a believers life in the spirit, by mortifying the deeds of the body to live by the spirit instead. Totally subjective between God and the human looking towards him in faith.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Entire sanctification in this life?​

OP ^

Possible to Have, Possess, “entire sanctification in this (mortal) life”?
According to Gods Order and Way......YES.

Gods “Order and Way” is revealed in Gods own Word.

The MYSTERY is...
God is invisible, and Gods created creatures are visible..
The visible created creature (ie called a man-KIND of creature) is Offered (by Gods Word) WITHOUT Observation (ie SEEING) an Order and Way to establish an exclusive Permanent (Forever) One on One relationship With the Lord God Almighty...

The CONFLICT is...
Establishments (synagogues, churches, teaching, councils, doctrines, rituals, rules, “dominations” etc.)
OF created men DICTATING, their councils interpretation OF Gods Order and Way.

The CONFLICT “grows like a cancer”...
BECAUSE... (IMO)
The EYES of (many) OBSERVING SEEING manKIND of Creature Focuses his PRIMARY attention ON...BEHAVIORS (ie called Precepts) among and between men...AS IF...relationships between and among men...JEOPARDIZES....and CAN CAUSE a mans “established relationship WITH” the Lord God to BECOME Severed.