Evangelical Universalism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone heard of this? I first heard about this yesterday when I was talking to a Brother while waiting around as I was getting tires put on my vehicle.

What he stated was that the lost go to hell and some are purified and go to heaven and those who aren’t burn up and cease to exist. This may not be verbatim, as I am paraphrasing what he said from memory.

I find this to be a horrible teaching. I told him that the longevity of eternal bliss is the same longevity of those in the lake of fire. This belief stems from a false view of God and His hatred of sin.

Thoughts and comments much appreciated. Thanks bunches in advance.

D

Dave L

Has anyone heard of this? I first heard about this yesterday when I was talking to a Brother while waiting around as I was getting tires put on my vehicle.

What he stated was that the lost go to hell and some are purified and go to heaven and those who aren’t burn up and cease to exist. This may not be verbatim, as I am paraphrasing what he said from memory.

I find this to be a horrible teaching. I told him that the longevity of eternal bliss is the same longevity of those in the lake of fire. This belief stems from a false view of God and His hatred of sin.

Universalism (UNITARIAN-UNIVERSALIST ASSOCIATION). Universalism holds that all living beings will attain complete salvation. Many religious groups outside the pale of traditional CHRISTIANITY hold to universalist views. It represents an undeniably important, albeit unorthodox, tradition within the history of Christianity. The doctrine is considered heretical in traditional Christian circles. In its place, »orthodox Christianity teaches that the saved are those who have been baptized into Christ and who exercise saving faith in his finished work of redemption. Early theologians such as Clement (ca. 150–ca. 215) and Origen (ca. 185–ca. 254) developed ideas of universalism, and it is carried on in full force by the Unitarian-Universalist Association in modern times. See also »Socinianism.

Socinianism (CHRISTIANITY). Anti-trinitarian movement of the sixteenth century that is believed to be the forerunner of »unitarianism. Led by F. P. Sozzini (1539–1604), Socinianism traces its roots back to the radical anti-trinitarian and »Anabaptist traditions and is characterized by a rationalism that denied the deity of Christ, original sin, the vicarious atonement, and the resurrection. In its more conservative expression, Socinianism rejected the deity of Christ in the interest of preserving the oneness of the Godhead over and against the plurality of the doctrine of the »Trinity.

Nichols, L. A., Mather, G. A., & Schmidt, A. J. (2006). In Encyclopedic Dictionary of Cults, Sects, and World Religions (p. 448). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

I guess what it means is that they are unBiblical unversalists, while calling themselves evangelicals...

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had never heard of the lost being purified in hell(his thought was a purgatoryesque thought) and others being burned up, and cease to exist. This is a blended ideology of purgatory and annihilationism.

Reactions: Dave L

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You mean one tire, for your unicycle.

Sounds like some form of Catholicism mixed with Watch Tower teachings.

Few today endure sound doctrine. Most take Scripture out of context and that is where their teaching comes from. Even fewer will ever allow context to correct them. It's futile to engage them when they continue to refuse to use proper context.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean one tire, for your unicycle.

Sounds like some form of Catholicism mixed with Watch Tower teachings.

Few today endure sound doctrine. Most take Scripture out of context and that is where their teaching comes from. Even fewer will ever allow context to correct them. It's futile to engage them when they continue to refuse to use proper context.
It was my tricycle thank you very much! #RingRingRing!!

It stems from their false view of God. They have Him on their potter’s wheel, and whatever attribute they don’t like, they reshape it until it looks just like them. :(

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was my tricycle thank you very much! #RingRingRing!!

It stems from their false view of God. They have Him on their potter’s wheel, and whatever attribute they don’t like, they reshape it until it looks just like them. :(
Yep, it does look JUST LIKE THEM because that is who it is!

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many on this forum, and on others, interpret Scripture in a Universalist sense. When confronted with this, they balk at it, but it is nonetheless true. Of course, most of them do not believe in Univeralism, yet they take passages and interpret them exactly that way.

Generally, this comes from a misconstrued interpretation of the word "all" that is taken out of its context and rendered every single person who has ever lived. They attempt to qualify this with "If they believe...then..." yet they've already concluded that texts like 1 Corinthians 15:22 means every person who has ever lived. This is not to mention the fact that belief is not inherent, innate, and comes from God alone, something else which is Biblical yet is rejected outright.

The text of 1 Corinthians 15:22 is speaking of all "in Christ," that they are already made alive in him, a finalized reality. There is, therefore, no prerequisite that they have to believe since this is already a finality of those in Christ and is only speaking of them.

This text then does not apply to those outside of Christ but will apply to those whom God elected once they are in Christ. It is not a general broad-brushing of all mankind, every single person who has ever lived &c. The key phrase of the text is "in Christ." One must look at how this phrase is used in the rest of Scripture, it is then seen to be addressing the converted alone. But this is too much work for some when the will is unwilling to be changed. Scripture itself and study are rejected in favor of tradition and out of context conclusions.

Another classic example is the misusage of 2 Peter 3:9. The remarkable thing is these will rarely ever allow context to correct their misinterpretation.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What he stated was that the lost go to hell and some are purified and go to heaven and those who aren’t burn up and cease to exist.
This is total nonsense, and we will be seeing more of more bizarre ideas coming out of the woodwork. There's a Wikipedia article on Christian Universalism, which is basically the same nonsense.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I told him that the longevity of eternal bliss is the same longevity of those in the lake of fire.
funny how I can agree with these words, but our diff defs of Eternity make it mean something diff.
People in the lake, souls in the lake, do you think?
So imo one bad def forces another, although I know the v in Rev you might Quote for that...in English.