gay christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet you seem so literate. Hm. Regardless,

When Peter wrote that prophecy is not of private interpretation, he used a Koine Greek work "ginetai", which tells us that Peter is speaking of where prophecy comes from, and not how we go about interpreting prophecy.

So when someone claims Peter is teaching us that we are not to use private interpretations to understand prophecies, this shows that they do not know the real meaning of the passage.

To be sure, it's somewhat obscured in some translations, though not all.

You asked for context:

2 Peter 1:15-2:3 KJV
15) Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
16) For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17) For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
18) And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
1) But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2) And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3) And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

We haven't followed fables, we actually saw Jesus transfigured, we actually heard the voice from the cloud.

Be even so, more so, we have the prophecies. But it doesn't matter what we heard or saw, because we have the prophecies, more certain, because they came from God. Not fables.

And we need to heed the prophecies, because the prophets didn't just make them up, or write what they thought. No, it was holy men of God, that is, men set apart for His use, whom He carried along by His Holy Spirit to write what God said.

But there were false teachers also, just as there will be among you. False teachers among you, bringing in damnable heresies.

The context here is of the surpremecy of prophecy over personal experience, because prophecy is not person experience, it didn't come from just the prophet, it came from God.

But we have to be careful, because there are many people, even "among you", and they will have many followers.

Peter is saying, there is personal experience, even ours, which was real. And there are false teachers, who are going to turn you into cash cows. But stick with the more sure word of prophecy. Stick to what is written. Not your perceptions, and beware the false teachers.

Here is a great example of the very passage being misused is the very passage that refute the doctrine.

Much love!
"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost"

A great reminder.

To be sure,there are those for whom their church directs their thought. And the church interprets scripture as it prefers. Which is why we will often find a disconnect between what a church member thinks , to that what is actually of God's teaching

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is . . . that's not what it says. "is of private interpretation", that is, it did not come from - ginetai - the prophet's private interpretations.

Much love!
Sounds like a word game to me. They both mean the same thing, just worded differently.

See post 657...I think I have addressed this.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like a word game to me. They both mean the same thing, just worded differently.
The question remains . . . do you understand that this passage is speaking concerning the origin of prophecy and not how it is to be understood?

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but that’s silly. Jesus was speaking to Peter whom he himself nicknamed. That would be one heck of an unfortunate coincidence for him to have expressed himself in terms unintentional.

Actually, what you think is silly…is based on error.

Jesus did not nickname Simon Barjona…
Jesus gave Simon Barjona, a surname…
His name is thus; Simon Peter.
He was thus often addressed by his surname.

Jesus was speaking to His Disciples ASKING THEM, who people were saying THE PEOPLE
thought Jesus IS.

The Disciples were taking turns ANSWERING Jesus’s question, names which the PEOPLE were SAYING.

Then “Simon Peter” answered and said:
Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God

Whoa……How DID “Simon Peter” Know the CORRECT “answer” ?

Jesus Directly SAID….TO: “Simon Barjona”, that “the Father” had given “Simon Barjona” the Answer…THAT:
Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God

The Whole HIGHLIGHT of that conversation is NOT about Peter….

The Whole HIGHLIGHT of THAT conversation WAS expressly….WHO IS JESUS!

God the Father, revealed TO “Simon Barjona” the ANSWER…that Jesus IS the Christ and Jesus IS the Son of the Living God.[/B}

It IS the “ANSWER” upon WHICH IS the “ROCK”, the Rock solid Foundation UPON which Christ would BUILD “His” Church.

It is a denomination of Gentiles who calls themselves “catholics”, and calls their church “catholic”, who have BUILT “their church”, UPON PETER.

The Jewish Disciples, Were:
The First followers of Jesus,
The First to Believe IN Jesus,
The First to Believe that JESUS IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God,
And
The First to Confess their Belief that JESUS IS the Christ the Son of the Living God,
And
The First to be SENT out to the Jewish towns, and Jewish People and Jewish Synagogues to Preach that JESUS IS the Christ the Son of the Living God.
And
The First to have “scribes” in the crowds taking Notes of what the Disciples were Preaching, Writing Down what the Disciples were Preaching.
And
Those Writings, transferred “by Recorders” to Scrolls.
And
Additional Jews “making COPIES” from the Scrolls, to Distribute Among the Tribes of Israel.
THUS, a NEW Testament was IN the Making…BY the Jews…Beginning WITH First-Hand Testimony OF:
* The Gospel….according to Matthew.
* The Gospel….according to Mark
* The Gospel….according to Luke
* The Gospel….according to John

Continuing with Teachings of and Secret Knowledge from Jesus, Accounts of Actions, and travels and Letters of the Apostles.

Jesus Christ’s CHURCH IS built upon THE Rock foundation …
That Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Every TRUE “Christian Church”, established under the auspice of that Church being “established” and “dedicated” AS a House of God…
Has It’s Foundation as:
Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Some “churches”, MAY have an “EXPRESS”. Statement, “calling it”…
Their “Mission Statement”
Or
Their “Statement of Faith”
Or
They may have a “laundry list” of this and that, and blah, blah….maybe including…
“Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God”….maybe not.

However IN FACT…Christ’s Church, which Jesus SAID “MY CHURCH”.shall be built upon the ROCK….
“that Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God”.

Jesus IS the HEAD of His Church…the ROCK..the Cornerstone, which IS ALWAYS the Highlight and the FIRST Stone laid when BUILDING, and every member ADDED thereafter, are stones, and stones upon stones, UNtIL the CHUrCH is COMPLETED, is FULL, and DOOR for “entering” and becoming a MEMER is “exhausted…expired”.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E and marks

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question remains . . . do you understand that this passage is speaking concerning the origin of prophecy and not how it is to be understood?

Much love!
correct . they dont read the other part that says that , FOR IT CAME NOT IN OLD TIME BY THE WILL OF MEN
but HOLY MEN OF GOD spoke as they were moved by the SPIRIT .
WHEN It says its not of private intepreation , that means MEN DIDNT INVENT DOCTRINE ON THEIR OWN
but rather THE SCRIPS THEMELVES came of GOD . they miss this one often .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

See post 657...I think I have addressed this.

It’s not about a word game…

In English umpteen Different words carry similar meanings, and not every one uses precise Same meanings.
Scriptural Word have precise contextual meanings.
For example…
The Lord
The Lamb
The Christ
Each have precise contextual meanings.

Reactions: marks

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
this is how their church taught it to them so as all who sit under IT will simply believe they cannot learn on their own
but must heed their leaders etc . THIS IS NOTHING more than a means to CONTROL .
I have even seen this misinterpretation quite common in the protestant realm too .
Men have always desired to sit kings over the peoples , SO they twist doctrine to get the agenda done .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That statement is very well put. But vs 20 says that NO prophesy of Scripture is for private interpretation. 2 Peter was written in 68AD which means there was more Scripture to come that hadn't been written yet. MORE Scripture to come that unstable men could prophesy about. Vs 20 does not apply to past prophecies only. It applies to ALL prophecies, past or future. TO ME it seems you are saying it applies to PAST prophecies only? Am I misunderstanding you?
Your statement above mis-states the passage, so, no, I don't think this addresses the question. You've re-worded Peter's letter to reflect your view, but that doesn't mean it's what he wrote.

So sticking with the actual wording from Peter, well, that's what this has all been about.

Much love!

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. Clear away the smoke screen and there's nothing there.

Anyway, I've said what I've wanted to. I'm surprised you are having such a difficult time understanding what I'm saying here, but maybe there's just something you need that I can't give you so you can understand.

Much love!
If I may.
What they and those other accounts that demonstrate the same behavior need is our attention.

I think that is why they play the game. Pretending to hold an opinion on Apologetics so to bait Christians who make a genuine effort at correction.

They, the many in that house,are a travesty.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may.
What they and those other accounts that demonstrate the same behavior need is our attention.

I think that is why they play the game. Pretending to hold an opinion on Apologetics so to bait Christians who make a genuine effort at correction.

They, the many in that house,are a travesty.
I think that happens, and I think that sometimes people get triggered into fleshy states, and stay there because of the feeling of superiority, or whatever the emotional payoff is. I think some find their self-affirmation in putting others down, and this is one more way some people do that.

So we need to make sure we are staying in the Spirit, and not get triggered into the flesh.

Much love!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, what you think is silly…is based on error.

Jesus did not nickname Simon Barjona…
Jesus gave Simon Barjona, a surname…
His name is thus; Simon Peter.
He was thus often addressed by his surname.

Jesus was speaking to His Disciples ASKING THEM, who people were saying THE PEOPLE
thought Jesus IS.

The Disciples were taking turns ANSWERING Jesus’s question, names which the PEOPLE were SAYING.

Then “Simon Peter” answered and said:
Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God

Whoa……How DID “Simon Peter” Know the CORRECT “answer” ?

Jesus Directly SAID….TO: “Simon Barjona”, that “the Father” had given “Simon Barjona” the Answer…THAT:
Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God

The Whole HIGHLIGHT of that conversation is NOT about Peter….

The Whole HIGHLIGHT of THAT conversation WAS expressly….WHO IS JESUS!

God the Father, revealed TO “Simon Barjona” the ANSWER…that Jesus IS the Christ and Jesus IS the Son of the Living God.[/B}

It IS the “ANSWER” upon WHICH IS the “ROCK”, the Rock solid Foundation UPON which Christ would BUILD “His” Church.

It is a denomination of Gentiles who calls themselves “catholics”, and calls their church “catholic”, who have BUILT “their church”, UPON PETER.

The Jewish Disciples, Were:
The First followers of Jesus,
The First to Believe IN Jesus,
The First to Believe that JESUS IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God,
And
The First to Confess their Belief that JESUS IS the Christ the Son of the Living God,
And
The First to be SENT out to the Jewish towns, and Jewish People and Jewish Synagogues to Preach that JESUS IS the Christ the Son of the Living God.
And
The First to have “scribes” in the crowds taking Notes of what the Disciples were Preaching, Writing Down what the Disciples were Preaching.
And
Those Writings, transferred “by Recorders” to Scrolls.
And
Additional Jews “making COPIES” from the Scrolls, to Distribute Among the Tribes of Israel.
THUS, a NEW Testament was IN the Making…BY the Jews…Beginning WITH First-Hand Testimony OF:
* The Gospel….according to Matthew.
* The Gospel….according to Mark
* The Gospel….according to Luke
* The Gospel….according to John

Continuing with Teachings of and Secret Knowledge from Jesus, Accounts of Actions, and travels and Letters of the Apostles.

Jesus Christ’s CHURCH IS built upon THE Rock foundation …
That Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Every TRUE “Christian Church”, established under the auspice of that Church being “established” and “dedicated” AS a House of God…
Has It’s Foundation as:
Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Some “churches”, MAY have an “EXPRESS”. Statement, “calling it”…
Their “Mission Statement”
Or
Their “Statement of Faith”
Or
They may have a “laundry list” of this and that, and blah, blah….maybe including…
“Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God”….maybe not.

However IN FACT…Christ’s Church, which Jesus SAID “MY CHURCH”.shall be built upon the ROCK….
“that Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God”.

Jesus IS the HEAD of His Church…the ROCK..the Cornerstone, which IS ALWAYS the Highlight and the FIRST Stone laid when BUILDING, and every member ADDED thereafter, are stones, and stones upon stones, UNtIL the CHUrCH is COMPLETED, is FULL, and DOOR for “entering” and becoming a MEMER is “exhausted…expired”.

His surname is Peter? That's hilarious.

What do you think bar Jonah refers to?

You might call Jesus-- Jesus, but his real name was Yeshua (Joshua) Bar Yosef.

Status
Not open for further replies.