Get In A Bible Preaching Church!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you saying a church/denomination that promotes liberal, postmodern theology is Bible-believing? I have lots of those around where I live but none of them is a Bible-believing church.
Thats not quiet true, like all religions, they all believe the bible in as they see it, as Jesus put it

Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was part of the church that started the restoration movement, South Chard Christian Fellowship (Sid Purse and Harry Greenwood) and then came Bryn's movement, Terry Virgo's, Roger Forster, Michael Pusey, Gerald Coates, and Micheal Harper fired up the Anglicans and there are probably more that I haven't heard of.

Oh wow!! That is a blast from the past! We were at Chard in the late 60's. early 70's!! :) When Uncle Sid was there... Harry Green wood , Ian ? was it Craig? forgot his name, he had a stammer, great preaching there, and the most wonderful songs from the Lord. Some of the best times of our spiritual life.
Plus became the foundation and standard for a "real meeting" :)

Last edited:

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh wow!! That is a blast from the past! We were at Chard in the late 60's. early 70's!! :) When Uncle Sid was there... Harry Green wood , Ian ? forgot his name, with a stammer, great preaching and the most wonderful songs from the Lord. Some of the best times of our spiritual life.

Ian Andrews. I believe that he has some medical problems that have curtailed his ministry a bit but then he is in his 80s. Both Sid and Mill and Harry Greenwood have died and Pam his wife died last year I think it was at the age of 90. As far as I know, both of their daughters are still at South Chard and their son is in America. Their youngest daughter Ruth married Mark Powell from the church but he died at age 31 with leukemia.

I was at South Chard from 1969 to 1979 and married a girl from there. She was Australian and in 1980 we moved to Australia as she was homesick.

Reactions: Helen

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marksman What about Barney Coombs ? Is he still around?

No. he died at the age of 81 in 2018. I was at Basingstoke Baptist when he took over from Michael Pusey. He eventually went to Vancouver, Canada to head up his own movement known as Salt and Light and ran it from there. Basingstoke became part of that movement. Michael moved on to another Baptist Church, changed it to the Kings Church and out of that several other churches joined up with him, mainly Baptist Churches.

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How about, instead of the Title 'Get into a bible preaching church.'
The subject title was 'Get into a Holy Spirit Led church.' No amount of bible preaching can make up for the lack of The Holy Spirit led meetings.
Yes, the church must be Spirit led.

Reactions: Willie T

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ian Andrews. I believe that he has some medical problems that have curtailed his ministry a bit but then he is in his 80s. Both Sid and Mill and Harry Greenwood have died and Pam his wife died last year I think it was at the age of 90. As far as I know, both of their daughters are still at South Chard and their son is in America. Their youngest daughter Ruth married Mark Powell from the church but he died at age 31 with leukemia.

I was at South Chard from 1969 to 1979 and married a girl from there. She was Australian and in 1980 we moved to Australia as she was homesick.

Thank you so much for the updates...good days and very blessed ones.

We were probably in the very same meetings but never knew it! LOL
We didn't live in Chard, we lived in Bexhill on Sea , but we drove there many weekends for the meetings. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He does.

It is written to seek out those who are faithful, and do not keep moving around after finding them....

Upon re-reading your and my posts, I see what you are saying now. My thoughts were going in a different direction so yes, once we find our place in the Body, we should stay there until or unless God calls us somewhere else... :)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Upon re-reading your and my posts, I see what you are saying now. My thoughts were going in a different direction so yes, once we find our place in the Body, we should stay there until or unless God calls us somewhere else... :)
Likewise meditating on His Word and Plan, we remain with faithful believers once we find them, and live as they show in Scripture, truthfully.

A lot of sheep without a shepherd are mulling around, hanging out, watching, maybe looking, don't know where to go, and many have been hurt often.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Likewise meditating on His Word and Plan, we remain with faithful believers once we find them, and live as they show in Scripture, truthfully.

A lot of sheep without a shepherd are mulling around, hanging out, watching, maybe looking, don't know where to go, and many have been hurt often.

Yes, I see many lost sheep flailing about, no direction, no guidance. And yes indeed, many are often hurt, and understandably so. Babes need to develop alligator skin, lol...I know I did...I was about to leave this site almost as soon as joining, but an awesome lady on here @Helen ... in-boxed me and lifted me up tremendously! And, since then, I have not looked back and have grown stronger and less sensitive. Fellowship is very important to me, it is needed like we need air to breathe. If removed from it, our spark will die out, the fire will be quenched. We need one another more than I think even we know.
God Bless and keep you and yours.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, I see many lost sheep flailing about, no direction, no guidance. And yes indeed, many are often hurt, and understandably so. Babes need to develop alligator skin, lol...I know I did...I was about to leave this site almost as soon as joining, but an awesome lady on here @Helen ... in-boxed me and lifted me up tremendously! And, since then, I have not looked back and have grown stronger and less sensitive. Fellowship is very important to me, it is needed like we need air to breathe. If removed from it, our spark will die out, the fire will be quenched. We need one another more than I think even we know.
John's First Epistle chapter 1 has a lot to say about fellowship. :)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
since then, I have not looked back and have grown stronger and less sensitive. Fellowship is very important to me, it is needed like we need air to breathe. If removed from it, our spark will die out, the fire will be quenched. We need one another more than I think even we know.
Stay sensitive (in Spirit), as so much false is present. Recognising that is necessary anywhere we go in the world.
Expecting someplace to not be false, is a serious danger.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is so much sin present and condoned and promoted here - I did not expect that.
'They' , adulterers, 'like' posts, pretend to be 'good', like the scribes and pharisees Jesus REBUKED !

Abortion, Adultery, Greed, Idolatry, throughout the world approved/ let it slide/ don't make waves ! ? and tats!? What has happened to God's Truth?!

1 Timothy 5:20 ESV /

As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.
James 4:4 ESV /
You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen. Discernment!
Those present and those far off, who wilfully commit sins, and worse, who prompt or tricks others to commit sin, even against their own physical bodies, face a horrible judgment awaiting them - it would be better if they were never born, as written, as Jesus said.
They have no discernment!
AMEN.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is so much sin present and condoned and promoted here - I did not expect that.
'They' , adulterers, 'like' posts, pretend to be 'good', like the scribes and pharisees Jesus REBUKED !

Abortion, Adultery, Greed, Idolatry, throughout the world approved/ let it slide/ don't make waves ! ? and tats!? What has happened to God's Truth?!

1 Timothy 5:20 ESV /

As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.
James 4:4 ESV /
You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

The wheat and the tares must grow together...

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wheat and the tares must grow together...
EXCEPT WHEN ? (honestly, whether tares or not- WHO IS PUT OUT?, not permitted at all in the assembly (according to Jesus))
(I realize now, belatedly, on the internet is NOT the assembly of Ekklesia here or anywhere)
But back to the question,
WHO is to be put out, ( God's Own Instructions, for all who believe God, who TRUST GOD, who abide in Jesus, TO DO) ?

What is God's Simple Instruction ? (for who is to be put out/ not allowed in the assembly)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 5:11 ESV / 5 helpful votes
But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

Titus 3:10 ESV / 4 helpful votes
As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him,

1 Corinthians 5:13 ESV / 4 helpful votes
God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

1 Corinthians 5:9-13 ESV / 4 helpful votes
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

1 Corinthians 5:4-5 ESV / 4 helpful votes
"When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus,... you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh..."

Romans 16:17-18 ESV / 4 helpful votes
"I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them..."
3 John 1:9-10 ESV / 3 helpful votes
I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us. And not content with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers, and also stops those who want to and puts them out of the church.
1 Corinthians 5:12 ESV / 3 helpful votes

For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
1 Corinthians 5:2 ESV / 3 helpful votes

And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.

Matthew 18:16 ESV / 3 helpful votes
But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.
Titus 3:9-11 ESV / 2 helpful votes
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

2 Timothy 3:2-5 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.

Reactions: Bobby Jo and farouk

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EXCEPT WHEN ? (honestly, whether tares or not- WHO IS PUT OUT?, not permitted at all in the assembly (according to Jesus))
(I realize now, belatedly, on the internet is NOT the assembly of Ekklesia here or anywhere)
But back to the question,
WHO is to be put out, ( God's Own Instructions, for all who believe God, who TRUST GOD, who abide in Jesus, TO DO) ?

What is God's Simple Instruction ? (for who is to be put out/ not allowed in the assembly)
Maybe you... or me… or any of us. Who decided WE are the ones to tell others we are the "righteous" ones, and have some sort of right to "put them out?"?