Graham: Romney's Mormonism Doesn't Bother Me

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Franklin Graham: Romney's Mormonism Doesn't Bother Me

Evangelical minster Franklin Graham said voters should look past a candidate’s personal religion when considering whom they should support for office. Graham offered his advice in a recent interview with The Christian Broadcasting Network when asked if Christians could vote for someone who is a Mormon.
Yes, the fact that Mitt Romney is a Mormon doesn’t bother me at all,” Graham told CBN.

Two candidates seeking the GOP nomination for president who are Mormons are Romney and Jon Huntsman. They are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Graham said voters should select a candidate who is most qualified, beyond anything else.
“You can have the nicest guy and he can be a Christian and just wonderful but have absolutely no clue as to how to run a country, you don’t want that … Mitt Romney is a very capable fellow, I know him. I know Newt Gingrich, another capable person; Michele Bachmann, a very capable lady; Rick Santorum, I like a lot, very gifted guy, a very sharp person and so there are some good candidates out there.”

Graham’s primary concern about the 2012 election is that he feels the country is heading in the wrong direction, saying the next election is “the most critical election of my lifetime.”

The evangelist sees the direction of the country as the number one priority for the next president.

“Our country is heading on the wrong course,” said Graham. “There are millions and millions of people out there that are out of work and there are people out there now that have been out of work so long they are not even looking for work because they are so discouraged.”

Praying for our leaders and our country is what Graham suggested of Christians, saying that irrespective of political party, the country needs elected officials “who will put God’s standards above everything else and who will take us back to the God of our fathers.”

“[O]ur country is going in the wrong direction and we need to make a change.”

http://www.christianpost.com/news/franklin-graham-romneys-mormonism-doesnt-bother-me-65240/

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
If it came down to a believing Mormon and a President whose spiritual advisor for the last 20 years was Jeremiah Wright, I choose the Mormon.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it came down to a believing Mormon and a President whose spiritual advisor for the last 20 years was Jeremiah Wright, I choose the Mormon.

At least you got the right religion.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I've stated, when it comes for 'President' Romney to have the nation to call upon God....as a polytheist, which god?

Also, I still have reservations of an individual to be put in such a high office who can't cleary discern/make judgements to see through such as Mormonism. Didn't we learn the lesson with Obama?

Also Also, the ironic thing is that Joseph Smith had his beginning attacking the Christian faith, coming up with one of his own; NOW the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints wants to call themseves Christians and be identified with us.Hey, after all they have the words 'Jesus Christ' in their title Go figure.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
As I've stated, when it comes for 'President' Romney to have the nation to call upon God....as a polytheist, which god?

Also, I still have reservations of an individual to be put in such a high office who can't cleary discern/make judgements to see through such as Mormonism. Didn't we learn the lesson with Obama?

Also Also, the ironic thing is that Joseph Smith had his beginning attacking the Christian faith, coming up with one of his own; NOW the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints wants to call themseves Christians and be identified with us.Hey, after all they have the words 'Jesus Christ' in their title Go figure.

-- There have been Presidents strong in their faith that has been dismal Presidents.
There have been Presidents who, by their own admission do not spent much time worrying about what God things, who have been outstanding.

Using the person's faith as the main litmust test to decide whether or not they are fit to run this country is extremely narrow thinking.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-- There have been Presidents strong in their faith that has been dismal Presidents.
There have been Presidents who, by their own admission do not spent much time worrying about what God things, who have been outstanding.

Using the person's faith as the main litmust test to decide whether or not they are fit to run this country is extremely narrow thinking.

I am not so much using his faith (he probably is a nominal Mormon) but rather evidence of misguided judgement which can extremely affect everyday and international discisions.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Utah has a greater than average rate of scams involving money than the rest of America - lots of Mormons trust the burning in the bosom to determine truth........

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently the religious right is spending the weekend trying to find some else to support besides Mitt Romney according to Time Magazine

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
Apparently the religious right is spending the weekend trying to find some else to support besides Mitt Romney according to Time Magazine
I surrendered my life to my Master January 1, 1990 and in doing so I did not find a religion! I found a God, a Master, a
friend and a Brother to whom I am joint heir and yet less than He. My LORD has placed a truly dispicable servant of Satan into the Oval Office to test the mettle of this nations people and as an American War Veteran, I am ashamed! At this time, though I pray, I cannot begin to tell anyone the next Presidents name though by this time last election, God had made known to me the fate we were to endure. And though I voted not for the man to bring America low, God put him in office anyway.

In 2Chron. 7:14 we see the truth. God has not caloled the Lost to worship and to call on Him, He has called the Christian! And ythose of the Christian Religion either. God expects and demands this obedience of His followers, His sons and people must get past this heretic idea that Church membership makes a Christian and go back to the basics, Godś basics. I have been on a number of ¨Christian¨ forums for the p0ast 17 or so years and Iǘe been told many times that a Child of Christ must vote for the Democrats and a few have told me that I cannot be voting for Christ unless I vote straight GOP. Stupid Satanic tricks!!

I´ll admit that the President has not always been a Christian and I know that until the Second Coming that the rulers of any nation, state or city might not be Christian, however, if any man or woman does not prayerfully and by the leading of the Hoily Spirit consider vtheir vote, they are at the very best, a carnal Christian and very likely wrose.

If Romney is the GOP nominee, I will vote for the lessor of the two evils. He is an American Citizen and Obama has never been one, don even get me started on the general cowerdice that keeps him in the Oval Office. There are two better qualified running and my prayer is for them and that Ron Paul will be stricken to keep him out of the Spoiler position he has already sworn to run in.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I surrendered my life to my Master January 1, 1990 and in doing so I did not find a religion! I found a God, a Master, a
friend and a Brother to whom I am joint heir and yet less than He. My LORD has placed a truly dispicable servant of Satan into the Oval Office to test the mettle of this nations people and as an American War Veteran, I am ashamed! At this time, though I pray, I cannot begin to tell anyone the next Presidents name though by this time last election, God had made known to me the fate we were to endure. And though I voted not for the man to bring America low, God put him in office anyway.

In 2Chron. 7:14 we see the truth. God has not caloled the Lost to worship and to call on Him, He has called the Christian! And ythose of the Christian Religion either. God expects and demands this obedience of His followers, His sons and people must get past this heretic idea that Church membership makes a Christian and go back to the basics, Godś basics. I have been on a number of ¨Christian¨ forums for the p0ast 17 or so years and Iǘe been told many times that a Child of Christ must vote for the Democrats and a few have told me that I cannot be voting for Christ unless I vote straight GOP. Stupid Satanic tricks!!

I´ll admit that the President has not always been a Christian and I know that until the Second Coming that the rulers of any nation, state or city might not be Christian, however, if any man or woman does not prayerfully and by the leading of the Hoily Spirit consider vtheir vote, they are at the very best, a carnal Christian and very likely wrose.

If Romney is the GOP nominee, I will vote for the lessor of the two evils. He is an American Citizen and Obama has never been one, don even get me started on the general cowerdice that keeps him in the Oval Office. There are two better qualified running and my prayer is for them and that Ron Paul will be stricken to keep him out of the Spoiler position he has already sworn to run in.

Well, Romney will need all the votes he can get. As for me, I am happy to vote for Obama for a second.term

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Here's a little prediction for you.

Mitt Romney will win the Republican nomination as well as the fall election.

Why?

Two big reasons.

1) He is a plastic man who will yield himself to the directions of the oligarchs, the real rulers of America (the military industrial complex and the financial cartel).
For example, Richard Nixon was a Quaker a member of a society thought to be moral and honest. He resigned his office as president because he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
Bottom line is that religion has nothing to do with American politics, except in the minds of fickle gullible voters.

2) Republicans are already hard at work manipulating the vote and the election.
NAACP representatives have complained to the United Nations about voter fraud against Latinos and poor blacks. The US is now a third world country as far as honest elections is concerned.

The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do.
Joseph Stalin

VOTE FOR NOBODY
Nobody will keep election promises.
Nobody will listen to your concerns.
Nobody will help the poor and disadvantaged.
Nobody cares.
If nobody is elected things will be better for everyone.
Nobody tells the truth.

In America today, if voting actually accomplished anything it would be illegal.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Here's a little prediction for you.

Mitt Romney will win the Republican nomination as well as the fall election.

-- I am of the opinion that Mr. Obama will win a second term. Not becaue God is pleased with America and is doing it to bless us.

In fact, I feel Mr. Obama is a product of God NOT looking out for America.

We have, over the last thirty years slowly and methodically turned out back on God. He has begun returning the favor.

2) Republicans are already hard at work manipulating the vote and the election.
NAACP representatives have complained to the United Nations about voter fraud against Latinos and poor blacks. The US is now a third world country as far as honest elections is concerned.

And what voter fraud is that exactly? Requiring a photo ID in order to vote?

You need a photo ID to:
- Cash a check
- Rent a DVD
- Buy alcohol
- Rent a car
- Board a plane
- Enter a bar
- Get a library card
- Buy cigarettes
- Pick up a prescription
- Purchase certain over-the-counter medications

If you can't find the time between now and Nov. of this year to go to your local courthouse with a copy of your utility bill or phone bill and get your FREE gov't approved photo ID, then not being able to vote in the Nov. elections is a self-inflicted wound and the sympathy meter pegs out at zero for you.

In 2005 Indiana put ID requirements in place for those wishing to vote (Crawford vs. Marion County Election Board).
The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that it is Constitutional.

Liberal Justice Stevens, voting in the majority said The law "is amply justified by the valid interest in protecting 'the integrity and reliability of the electoral process,'"
He also said that it did not put an undo burden on those wishing to vote.

Liberal rants about how this "disenfranchises" is a bunch of hooey.
The REAL "disenfranchisement" is knowing that your legal vote (and those of many others) can be cancelled out by the illegal vote of someone who has no right to be in the voting booth.

The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do.
Joseph Stalin

-- That is absolutely true........when one party (like the Communist party) is in control. No oversight. No one to appeal to. etc. etc. etc.

But in every single state of the union there is two-party oversight. Members of both parties are present when votes are counted and certified.

I have seen Stalin's quote used many times.

Those who use the quote seem to think it negates the validity of ensuring only legal voters vote, by saying "why bother? the vote is going to be fixed anyway."

NOT the best selling point when you are trying to sell the idea that it is the voter ID laws that actually "disenfranchise." ;)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, the voter ID argument is a non-issue. It is reasonable to require ID - however, let's be honest, Republicans are not raising this issue to decrease voter fraud - they want to decrease Liberal votes.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I would have to disagree.

One of the groups strongest hit by the requirement is a group that most strongly supports Republicans in most cases: The Elderly
As many get older they move into care facilities and do not drive, and thus their driver's licenses expire.

They, because of their age and lack of experience, do not know how to navigate the bus system and have the toughest time to get to the DMV or the county courthouse to get a non-driver gov't photo ID. Even one that is free.

Republicans understand this puts additional requirements on one of their strongest voting blocks.
Yet a simple Google search will show how many times they have been on the receiving end of fraudulent voter registration and voter fraud.
Washington state
Minnesota
Indiana

As a sidebar, the recent New Hampshire primary showed how much we need voter ID laws.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/12/activists-use-dead-voters-names-at-nh-primary/
Activists Use Dead Voters’ Names At NH Primary

By Lauren Leamanczyk, WBZ-TV's New Hampshire Bureau Chief

Manchester, NH (CBS) – An activist group obtained ballots for several deceased voters during New Hampshire’s primary elections. The group called Project Veritas captured the possible voting fraud on camera.

Now the New Hampshire Attorney General has initiated an investigation and a review of the state’s voting procedures.
The secretly recorded video shows activists requesting ballots for recently deceased voters. In most cases, they receive the ballot with no questions asked.

In one case, the person asks a poll worker, if there are any other dead people on the voting rolls.
“How would I know if there were dead or not?,” she asked.

The group tried the same stunt again and again and they succeeded at least nine times in using the names of recently deceased voters.
“It shows what can happen,” says Ryk Bullock. He is the election moderator in Bedford and was videotaped by Project Veritas.

When they came to his polling place, they were stopped by his staff’s diligence. Still Bullock says they did point out flaws in the system.
“Am I saying it could never happen here? I’d be a fool. But the likelihood of it is minimal,” he explained.

New Hampshire law doesn’t require any ID to vote, so the poll workers didn’t do anything wrong. However, some say Project Veritas may have broken wiretapping laws related to secret recordings.

New Hampshire Governor John Lynch, who has vetoed bills that would require photo ID, called it, “outrageous that these out-of-staters invaded our polling places and misrepresented themselves in an attempt to push a political agenda.”

Advocates of requiring photo ID to vote say this video gives them new ammunition.
“I think it gives concrete evidence in a really embarrassing way for our state that the fraud that we’ve been describing all along exists,” said Speaker Bill O’Brien (R-Mont Vernon).

No fraudulent ballots were actually cast. The attorney general’s office says they have no complaints of illegal voting in Tuesday’s primary.
WBZ contacted Project Veritas at their Washington D.C. office. They did not return a phone call.

-- The second-to-last sentence is wrong. It should actually read: "No fraudulent ballots were cast by the activists, but they have no way of knowing if anyone else showed up and fraudulently voted."

Authorities in New Hampshire are very angry at the stunt, but that is because the stunt made them look bad.

If the voter ID law had been in place, these activists would have been thwarted at every corner - just like anyone else trying to vote illegally.

But let's pretend you are right.
The effort can be easily neutralized.
Again, all it takes in one trip to a local courthouse with a utility or phone bill to get a free approved gov't I.D.
Liberals can use this as a rallying cry to get those who rarely vote to the polls.

But I think the real outrage from Liberals is that the law interferes with their "vote early, vote often" mantra.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Yesterday I was in a UPS store getting something laminated.

There is a large sign on its counter that says in order to ship anything from this location, a legal gov't recognized photo ID is required.

I thought that strange so I checked the UPS web site:

1.gif
Photo ID Requirement at Retail Shipping Locations
1.gif
The safety and security of our customers, business partners, and employees is of utmost concern. Our approach is a multi-layered approach to security, implementing additional security precautions to protect people, shipments, or our facilities.

As a result, UPS is enhancing security measures around shipments that originate at retail shipping locations worldwide.

Effective December 7, 2010, consumers who originate and tender a shipment to any retail shipping location will be required to show a government-issued photo ID as a form of identification. The photo must match the person tendering the shipment.

This procedure is already in place in some UPS locations and is being expanded to include all retail shipping locations worldwide, including authorized shipping outlets, alliance and MBE locations, plus The UPS Store[sup]®[/sup] franchisees.

Customers who have already prepared a shipping label--for example, through their business or personal UPS account--are not currently required to present an ID.

If sufficient verification of identity is not obtained at the retail shipping location, customers will not be allowed to ship via UPS services. Acceptable forms of ID include:

• State-issued driver's license or Department of Motor Vehicles ID
  • U.S. or foreign government-issued passport
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card or "Green Card"
  • U.S. military ID
  • Native American Tribal Photo ID
As always, we thank you for your business and for helping to enhance safety.

-- I doubt anyone would argue that the requirement of a legal photo ID is designed to "disenfranchise" anyone.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some Arguments Against ID Requirements For Voting

by BENJAMIN T. GREENBERG on 30. JAN, 2005 in ELECTION, RACE AND RACISM, VOTING RIGHTS

(emphasis added)

New York
excerpt from:
http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/voting/20020401/17/728

First, there is the straightforward practical concern. As many as 3 million New York City voters do not have a driver’s license. Indeed, 1990 census data showed that less than 50 percent of New York City’s voting age residents had a driver’s license compared with 91 percent of the state’s residents overall. Also, members of minority groups are far less likely to have a driver’s license than whites; recently naturalized citizens (and new immigrants from Puerto Rico) are also less likely to have a driver’s license. For many of those potential voters, it may also prove onerous for them to have another valid form of identification handy when they go to the polls. This requirement, then, could depress the voting power of New York City and members of minority groups.

Second, application of the identification requirement is likely to create a host of problems. An identification requirement will require poll workers to use their discretion and judgment. More discretion and judgment will be required when the voters use a form of identification other than a driver’s license. Unfortunately, poll workers often get the rules wrong. The more complicated the rules, the more likely they will not be applied properly – and this set of rules could seem complicated. A study of New York City’s 2001 general election by the New York Public Interest Research Group demonstrated that most poll workers did not know basic rules about where someone should vote if they moved or who could help a disabled person vote. This suggests that poll workers will not be able to apply an identification requirement properly. Under the bill, the first-time voters who fail to provide proper identification should be permitted to vote with an affidavit or paper ballot, with which they sign an affidavit promising that they are who they say they are. But, again, given the reliability of the poll workers, it is quite likely that significant numbers of voters could be wrongly turned away. In fact, New York election lore is full of stories about poll workers who do not know when someone should use such a ballot and denying voters access to such ballots.

The i.d. requirement also creates opportunities for discriminatory treatment. African-Americans have a history of being subjected to special scrutiny at the polling place – as have members of other minority groups and recently naturalized citizens. Stories abounded in Duval County, Florida of African-American voters being asked to show a form of identification – sometimes two – while white voters were allowed to sign in without presenting any i.d. Similarly, a survey conducted by the Asian American Legal Defense Fund found that in the 2001 New York City general election one in six Asian voters was improperly asked to show identification before voting.

Finally, there is no evidence that such a rule is needed. In even the closest elections, there is rarely any evidence of voter fraud at the polls. And, the experience of states with same-day voter registration suggests that identification is not needed to protect against fraud.

As you can see, not one of these main reasons to not have the requirement for voter ID holds water.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
First, there is the straightforward practical concern. As many as 3 million New York City voters do not have a driver’s license. Indeed, 1990 census data showed that less than 50 percent of New York City’s voting age residents had a driver’s license compared with 91 percent of the state’s residents overall.
Also, members of minority groups are far less likely to have a driver’s license than whites; recently naturalized citizens (and new immigrants from Puerto Rico) are also less likely to have a driver’s license.

-- That argument is based on the FALSE presupposition that a drivers license is the only photo ID that is acceptable to use for voting.

Of those 3 million....

- Do none of them drink? - you need a legal photo ID to buy alcohol or enter a bar
- Do none of them smoke? - you need a legal photo ID to purchase cigarettes
- Do none of them gamble in a casino? - most casinos require photo ID for their own protection against minors trying to gamble
- Do none of them have a library card? - The New York Public Library requires a photo ID before you or your child are allowed to obtain a card or use their public computers.
- Do none of have a savings or checking accounts, a mortgage, safety deposit box, etc.? - none of them be done without a legal photo ID
- Do none of them ever fly on a plane? - You are not allowed to board the plane without one, even if you have a ticket in your hand.
- Do none of them have prescriptions? - You can't pick up a prescription or purchase certain over-the-counter medications without a photo ID
- Do none of them have children in day cares? - Many day care centers require the person present a photo ID to pick up their child(ren)
- Do none of them have their taxes done by H&R Block or similar companies? - They won't even begin processing your taxes without a photo ID
- Do none of them rent an apartmentment? - Rental agencies require a valid photo ID before they will consider renting to someone
- Do none of them have post office boxes? - USPS, Fedex, and UPS all require a photo ID to allow someone to rent a box.
- Do none of them rent a hotel or motel room? - A valid photo ID along with a credit card is required to do that, even at a Super 8.

Obviously, the majority of 3 million people you speak of have SOME sort of legal gov't-accepted photo ID.
If not, they would not be able to do any of the things I listed above. And OF COURSE most if not all do more than one of them.

But how? Photo ID, of course.

-- U.S. or foreign national passport
-- U.S. passport card
-- U.S. active military or retired military I.D. card
-- Native American Tribal I.D. card
-- Matrícula Consular de Alta Seguridad (Given by the Mexican Consulate. They give them to illegals who can't use them to vote, but to do just about everything else on the list. But hey, Illegals aren't supposed to be voting anyway,)
-- Official state photo ID. Given through the DVM and is legal identification, but cannot be used to drive.
-- State approved ID, given for free through the courthouse for people who can validate their ID via 3 or more methods: birth certificate. Social Security card, bank statement less than 3 months old. Utility bill less than one month old. Current renter's contract,
-- Legal Immigrant ID. Issued by the State Dept. One of the requirements legal immigrants must agree to in order to get the ID and be allowed to remain in the United States is that they must carry the ID on them AT ALL TIMES.

Guess what? With the exception of the Matricula Consula de Alta Sguridad, a foreign passport and the State Dept. issued legal immigrant ID, every one of those IDs will allow you to vote.

Again, the article's argument has a false premise that people will only use a drivers license to vote.

For many of those potential voters, it may also prove onerous for them to have another valid form of identification handy when they go to the polls. This requirement, then, could depress the voting power of New York City and members of minority groups.

-- First off, it is no more "onerous" (burdensome, troublessome) than it is to carry the ID in order to buy cigarettes or enter a bar. Or any one of the other options I listed that you KNOW many of them do. ID in purse or wallet. Period. That's it. Problem solved.
I hate to break it to people, but having to carry a photo ID does not fall into the category or 'onerous.'

Second off, the United States Supreme Court has already decided that it is NOT an undo burden.
Liberal Justice Stevens, voting in the majority said The law "is amply justified by the valid interest in protecting 'the integrity and reliability of the electoral process,'"
He also said that it did not put an undo burden on those wishing to vote.

As I said before, if you can't find the time in the nine and a half months before the Nov. elections to get a free gov't approved ID, then not being able to vote is a self-inflicted wound.

Second, application of the identification requirement is likely to create a host of problems. An identification requirement will require poll workers to use their discretion and judgment. More discretion and judgment will be required when the voters use a form of identification other than a driver’s license. Unfortunately, poll workers often get the rules wrong. The more complicated the rules, the more likely they will not be applied properly

-- Another specious argument.
When I was a poll worker in 2010 (and sat with my wife who was one in 2008) each and every poll worker was given a 3 or 4 page document with color examples of every single type of acceptable voter ID.
-- That state's drivers license (front and back)
-- That state's legal non-license ID (front and back)
-- Military ID, both active duty and retired (front and back)
-- Tribal Indian IDs (front and back) there were four examples for the four federally recognized tribes
-- American passport (photo page and front cover) and passport card (front and back)

It was stressed that college IDs, work IDs, organization IDs (even Red Cross and VFW) are not allowed as legal ID, even if they are photo IDs.
Must be government issued and approved.

If you can't handle even that much responsibility, you really shouldn't be a poll worker.

– and this set of rules could seem complicated. A study of New York City’s 2001 general election by the New York Public Interest Research Group demonstrated that most poll workers did not know basic rules about where someone should vote if they moved or who could help a disabled person vote. This suggests that poll workers will not be able to apply an identification requirement properly.

-- See previous response.
The integrity of the vote is important enough to ensure the validity of the voter.

The i.d. requirement also creates opportunities for discriminatory treatment. African-Americans have a history of being subjected to special scrutiny at the polling place – as have members of other minority groups and recently naturalized citizens. Stories abounded in Duval County, Florida of African-American voters being asked to show a form of identification – sometimes two – while white voters were allowed to sign in without presenting any i.d. Similarly, a survey conducted by the Asian American Legal Defense Fund found that in the 2001 New York City general election one in six Asian voters was improperly asked to show identification before voting.

-- You miss the obvious point that the new law would actually help eliminate this issue.

These descriminatory practices have nothing to do with the current law we are discussing and if the new law is enforced, every person (regardless of race) that had a legal photo ID would be allowed to vote. Period. These shenanigans would stop.

Most polling stations have multiple workers. If one tries to pull the garbage listed in the article, others can be approached to have it addressed.
Some polling stations have police stationed there. Some have police frequent throughout the day. They are no more than a phone call away.

But again, NONE of that has to do with the voter ID law, although the law itself will go a long way to addressing that issue.

If you show up and want to vote, you present a legal photo ID. Period.

Finally, there is no evidence that such a rule is needed. In even the closest elections, there is rarely any evidence of voter fraud at the polls. And, the experience of states with same-day voter registration suggests that identification is not needed to protect against fraud.
As you can see, not one of these main reasons to not have the requirement for voter ID holds water.

-- I assume you the author is serious and not trying to be clever.

Their argument is immediately negated by one.......simple.......fact:
If you do not check the ID of people who show up to vote and just take their word on it, you have no way of knowing if they actually had the legal right to vote.
Translation: They have no way of knowing just how frequent voter fraud occurs.
And since it has been documented as occuring, only a dishonest or none-too-bright person would claim that it has only occured when it was caught.

Bush won FL by 537 votes. Voter fraud could have easily changed that outcome.
Less than 200 people spread across the entire state of FL managing to vote just 3 times (large cities have dozens to over a hundred different polling stations to go between) or just 538 people voting illegally JUST ONCE anywhere in the state.........could have changed the course of history.

(And please spare me the "Bush stole the FL election" rant. Time, Newsweek, CNN, FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, CNBC, the Wall Street Journal, and the New York Times all paid for their own individual recounts after the results were certified and each and every one acknowledged that Bush won.)

To sum up, the US Supreme Court has already determined that there is no undo burden on a person required to present a legal ID in order to vote.

The article presents arguments that hold no water.

Voter fraud DOES happen. Chicago and Daley's sanctioned "vote early, vote often" practices are just one example.

People talk about "disenfranchisement" but they ignore the fact that one of the greatest disenfranchisements is the fact that your vote can be negated by someone who legally has no right to cast a ballot or is casting multiple ballots.

The integrity of the vote is too important to not ensure that only those entitled to vote are the ones voting.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Umm...those were some lame examples for not supporting voter ID. I found them and decided to post them as examples of why opposing voter ID doesn't hold water.....

I am for voter ID, remember?