Here's a likeable thread: Name something you like about a denomination (of Church) other than your own! (really, anything)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My background is primarily in the visual end of things. (art/design)
But I am very engaged with the textual aspect as well.
And the musical aspect as a lyricist and musician.
What is your background or interest? (in words/language)
I learned to read a 3. At 4, I was choosing my own books at the library. At 8, I was tested to have a college level vocabulary. That was in the 60's when that meant something. I've read I don't know how many 1000's of books in my life. I used to write poetry and lyrics, but that was more to keep myself sane in my late teens/early 20's. I've engaged in visual arts (oils/acrylics, sculpture of different sorts, arrangments). I've been in the print industry for 40 years or so.

My reading was mostly fiction of all sorts of genres.

One day in 2001, God did something inside me, and I completely lost interest in reading anything, with the exception of the Bible, and I was in that same moment consumed with the desire to learn all I could from it. And that's how I've been since.

Much love!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One day in 2001, God did something inside me, and I completely lost interest in reading anything, with the exception of the Bible, and I was in that same moment consumed with the desire to learn all I could from it. And that's how I've been since.
Very interesting, thanks.
I don't want us to get too far off topic, or dominate the thread. But...
Was wondering how your view of the Bible might be shaped by your background in literature and the printing industry?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very interesting, thanks.
I don't want us to get too far off topic, or dominate the thread. But...
Was wondering how your view of the Bible might be shaped by your background in literature and the printing industry?
New Thread?

Much love!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Being a baptist, everything sort of has its place.

The thing I like about Presbyterians is that they let it all down, with speaking in tongues. I find speaking in tongues helpful, from time to time, to just clear my head, sort of thing. It would go against the grain in my Church, but I'm glad it still has a place in others.

Different Churches are made with different recipes, I guess.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I like that the Catholic Church is so huge! Like it has its own city - that's immense!

Everyone has their own brick and mortar, but who has a city?!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well I happen to like the fact that the Catholic church has an enormous system of hospitals and aid networks to deal with the poor.
Yes you're quite right. Indeed I think a number of Churches all have charitable works to their name. There was a time when my Church sang to the elderly in the old people's home near us, and I still really miss it!

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friend. Favoritism is out of line. Didn't Jesus teach in gospel of Matthew, about showing partiality to rich person and scorn to poor person. Be fair to in your dealings. Corinthians chapter 3, the denominations broke away from the foundation of christ. This is rebellion. These apostates bring in heathen traditions and rituals and mix it with true worship of God. Its traditions of men and false doctrine. In numbers chapter 16, Koran started a denominations. Rebellion against God. Korah tried to install a democracy. Friends, obedience to God is the only way. Favoritism and rebellion is wrong !!. God demands discipline !!. Think about it.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devil made me do it. - LOL
And unfortunately, all the girls want me too. (sigh) - LOL
You like the "grunge". So many talented people here! The song was good compared to other music of that genre. Have you written any songs to The Lord?

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You like the "grunge". So many talented people here! The song was good compared to other music of that genre. Have you written any songs to The Lord?
Not in the sense of worship music. But I did write and record an original Christmas themed song titled Gift-Wrapped. And another VERY old recording of my personal testimony titled He Came to Faith. Links below. Thanks for your interest. These are not in the grunge style. (sorry)

https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522%2Fgift-wrapped
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522%2Fhe-came-to-faith

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thought of a couple others worthy of note. (no pun intended)
Devil Talkin' is about what the enemy is telling us and the result.
That Thing Goin' 'Round is my pandemic song. (both serious and funny)

https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522%2Fdevil-talkin
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522%2Fthat-thing-goin-round-special-thanks-to-andrea-rk-and-aaron-g

• Love

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although I do not agree with this denomination stance on musical instruments I really like worship when the singing is acapella . The church of Christ.
Nothing like that! A voice alone is an instrument, I so love listening to choirs.
None of the evangelical church's I have attended have rock n roll bands... :contemplate: It is not the same, at all. Then there are some with those lights, and fake fog even. To me, all that did was take peoples (at least me)
I do love the Methodists choirs, well...some of them.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not in the sense of worship music. But I did write and record an original Christmas themed song titled Gift-Wrapped. And another VERY old recording of my personal testimony titled He Came to Faith. Links below. Thanks for your interest. These are not in the grunge style. (sorry)

Lol, I am not a fan of Grunge music, I just likened your song to the genre...
I will start listening to your recordings, thanks for sharing!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good songs, and music. I do love the opening of the first one especially:
"Salvation came gift wrapped and swaddled in clothes"

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wonderful song, That Thing Goin Round! I wish it would go viral too. Oh the fear that brought out in so many, many people!
You're pretty good @St. SteVen have you posted these on YouTube?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Although I do not agree with this denomination stance on musical instruments I really like worship when the singing is acapella . The church of Christ.
There are precedents in scripture for using 'stringed instruments' in worship - and guitars are stringed instruments.

Reactions: ChristisGod