How do you select which verses to memorize?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shipeichong

Jan 19, 2019
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Country
Singapore
I have a question. There are so many, so many verses in the bible. How do you actually select which verses you are going to memorize?

Reactions: Papa Smurf

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question. There are so many, so many verses in the bible. How do you actually select which verses you are going to memorize?
Choose the ones that say something to you or help you through a difficult time. Choose the ones that God uses to speak directly to you. It takes time to build up your 'armoury' of special verses.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @chongjasmine, part of my discipleship training included the Navigators' Topical Memory System. It's a Scripture memory system that is, in fact, required learning by the Navigators for all of their missionaries. It's been used for almost 90 years now and is basically, with very little variation, the very same system that they started with 90 years ago (IOW, it is a very proven way to memorize Scripture :)).

The only major change/upgrade has been the additon of Apple and Android apps, which I highly recommend (all we had when I went through the training 30 years ago were flash cards).

The verses/passages themselves were carefully chosen by the Navigators to help their missionaries with both their ministries, as well with their personal walks/Christian living in general, and the topical "system" was created to help facilitate memorization, both immediate and longterm.

So, if you'd care to, go to The Topical Memory System and check it out (you will see the memory topics and the verses/passages that go with each topic there) and then further, the Apple App and the Android App. Both apps are available at either the Apple or the Android app store, just FYI.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - if you'd like some help getting started with Scripture memorization, please don't hesitate to ask me, either here or via PM, and I'll tell you what I know/what has worked best for me over the years.

Psalm 119
9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word.
11 Thy word I have treasured (hidden/stored) in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee.

• Love
Reactions: marks

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my morning Bible reading, I look for a verse that seems to have a special relevance; something I never noticed before, or something the Lord seems to be placing on my heart; that's my verse of the day. Sometimes it's a verse or just part of a verse; I try to keep it simple. I used to memorize long lists of scriptures or passages but that became very tedious.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is good to memorise key verses and ones that mean something special to you, but don't forger the bible is the living word of God. And as you read the Holy Spirit can give freshness and understanding. I'm not sure that would work just by memorising it all.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listen to Pearl in number 2. You will memorize verses as you go. Just keep reading and studying. Put it in and God will use it in your life even if it is not memorized yet.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that bible verses to memorize choose us rather than us choosing them. You see, reading the Bible is like looking into a mirror, where we see ourselves. It is good to look in the mirror every day.

I'll be reading and a verse or passage will like jump off the page and stick to me in some way because I have seen myself in that scripture. When a scripture speaks to us like that, it is called receiving a Rhema.

John 14:26
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.../KJV

Now we all know that things with God are transactional in a sense. All through the OT it says, if my will my people will repent and turn from their wicked ways then I will...Bless them and heal their land and so forth. So much of what God does for us is because we have obeyed Him. When I read that in John 14 it sounded to me like code talk for read the entire Bible, cover to cover. Because How can the Holy Spirit bring a scripture to our remembrance if we have not ever read it for our selves and input it into our mind in the first place. So I started reading the Bible once per year, 3 chapters a day, so I know that I have input all of the data into my mind and heart. So the Holy Spirit has something to work with!

So I've never really tried to memorize scripure refrences. I can tell you what it says, but not always chapter and verse.

• Love

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't choose, I just keep reading the passages over and over until I know them. Sometimes they jump out at me, God speaking personally, and those places I learn much more quickly.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is good re memorise key verses and ones that mean something special to you, but don't forger the bible is the living word of God. And as you read the Holy Spirit can give freshness and understanding. I'm not sure that would work just by memorising it all.
It does work, because I can then recall to mind passages that I can then meditate on, as God speaks still through them.

Much love!

Reactions: Papa Smurf

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I've never really tried to memorize scripure refrences. I can tell you what it says, but not always chapter and verse.
For a long time I could tell you what various passages said, but I couldn't quote them, and I often didn't remember the references.

The day I was to begin teaching my first weekly home fellowship, I was driving home from work, and I realized that as I was mentally reviewing my intended study, that I was quoting to myself complete passages, and knowing the reference, and ever since that day, I've remembered it as the day God switched on my Scripture Memory.

Much love!

Reactions: MA2444

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It does work, because I can then recall to mind passages that I can then meditate on, as God speaks still through them.

Much love!
Have you memorised all the bible?