• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course you don't get it. Self, above all, as you protest, is the natural man. Fixed on the flesh,the carnal, gratification,satisfaction,self-will.
The problem with natural man's thinking in matters of the gospel? The natural man thinks they choose Jesus, they choose to be saved, they choose to do good and work for their reward. Which is why they also think they can choose to lose all they think they work to attain; ''salvation''.
Even then they're all about self in control of what originates with and from God.

Somehow, they read the gospel books through eyes covered with scales, and through those lenses insist they choose to save themselves.
Or fall back and damn themselves again. Because that control factor is key.
They tell Christians everything that is changed in the redeemed repentant sinner who is called to Christ can be overcome,undone, by the mortal, by choice.
They can lose their salvation, the holy spirit can be evicted from indwelling them , they can lose their rebirth in Christ, they can return to their damnation state.
The power of the natural man can overcome the grace of God.

What in truth does the natural man accomplish in their self effort?
They die damned in their sins.[.b]

What do you make of verses like 1 John 3:10 that says,

“In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.”

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Somehow, they read the gospel books through eyes covered with scales, and through those lenses insist they choose to save themselves.

Or fall back and damn themselves again.

They tell Christians everything that is changed in the redeemed repentant sinner who is called to Christ can be overcome,undone, by the mortal, by choice.

The power of the natural man can overcome the grace of God.

Your error is so manifold that it boggles the mind how anyone can get so far removed from biblical truth.

“Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.” (Acts 13:43)

Now why would Paul and Barnabas persuade these believers to CONTINUE in the grace of God (denying ungodliness Titus 2:11-12)

Because:

“Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:22)

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's still putting a cloak over what is works salvation.

What about helping the poor in Matthew 25:31-46?
Does that sound like such a thing is optional?
What about 1 Timothy 5:8? If we provide not for our own (i.e. a good work), then we have denied the faith, and we are worse than an infidel (unbeliever). So I am not sure where you guys feel that you don’t have to do anything as a part of salvation. Such things are on many pages of your New Testament. Only those who are ignorant to what the Bible says will latch on to Protestant sayings over what the Scriptures say.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What about 1 Timothy 5:8? If we provide not for our own (i.e. a good work), then we have denied the faith, and we are worse than an infidel (unbeliever). So I am not sure where you guys feel that you don’t have to do anything as a part of salvation. Such things are on many pages of your New Testament. Only those who are ignorant to what the Bible says will latch on to Protestant sayings over what the Scriptures say.
Happy to help your confusion.

Works don't save.
Being in service to God's will when we're saved isn't laboring to retain nor acquire salvation.

Rather, it is evidence of salvation.

If someone does ''good'' for others thinking they're tallying merit points to save themselves their charity is hollow and false. They would have been better off to keep walking. Because their effort was selfish. Not selfless.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Your error is so manifold that it boggles the mind how anyone can get so far removed from biblical truth.

“Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.” (Acts 13:43)

Now why would Paul and Barnabas persuade these believers to CONTINUE in the grace of God (denying ungodliness Titus 2:11-12)

Because:

“Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:22)
Keep working.:vgood:

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The person who is born of God also does righteousness (1 John 2:29).
The person who is born of God also loves one another (1 John 4:7).
So it’s more than just a belief alone to show one has been born again.
That's fine for you, but I have been down that road and reject it. Once any teaching, ritual, works, certain words other than Jesus is Lord, is attached to my faith in Jesus, then what I believe no longer matters.

But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. (James 1.6-8)

I have learned to always believe I am saved, because I believe Jesus is the Christ, and I tell myself that at all times. I have learned to always believe Jesus is my Savior all the time, whether going to bed or waking up, it is the first, middle, and last thing I always keep in mind throughout the day. I have found this to be the simplest thing to do, without worrying about all the teaching and doing of things in life.

But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. (2 Cor 11.3)

I no longer worry nor care about anything else. I believe things about being a Christian, and I read the Bible to learn them, but it has nothing to do with believing Jesus is my Savior and I am saved. It matters what we do in life, because we do reap what we sow, which is nature's law, but it has nothing to do with what I believe. What I believe is all that matters to me, and it matters always while I am awake: Jesus is the Christ, and He is my Savior, and I am saved.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm with you, BH. I don't really get it, either.

To me, saying you (plural) "believe" in Jesus without practicing what Jesus taught, is like telling someone you love them, without showing them you love them. Someone could tell me they love me till the cows come home, but those words are worthless without action.

But that action has to come from the heart, and not done because we figure that if we do enough "good works", that God will "owe" us Heaven. Again, it's like a man (for example) doing a few nice things for a woman, all under the guise that she "owes" him her life.

Faith and/or 'belief' plus works go hand-in-hand. I can't be on my knees in church every week, saying, "I believe! I believe! I believe!", and then, the moment I leave church, curse at my neighbor for cutting me off in the church parking lot! I can't sit in a pew each week, and think I've done my "duty", all the while thinking, "Geez, this preacher is monotonous! We'll never get out of here before the game starts!" I can't pass a homeless guy on the street and think to myself, "Why doesn't he just get a friggin' job?"...or give the guy a dollar while I'm with someone else, thinking that the person I'm with will think how 'nice' I am.

And I agree, that talking about works/deeds is spread out all through the NT. Romans 2:5,6 in particular comes to mind: "By your stubbornness and impenitent heart, you are storing up wrath for yourself for the day of wrath and revelation of the just Judgment of God, who will repay everyone according to his works:" And Revelation 20:13. And a whole bunch of other verses that most Christians can find, without me having to post them.

If works/deeds are so unimportant, why are these and other verses in the Bible in the first place? Even Christ practiced works as an example to us!

To me, saying that all we have to do is "believe" without practicing that belief is way too overconfident.

Also, doesn't the Bible warn us about being too overconfident of our own salvation?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is your opinion.

God has the final answer.. He says that if you die a Christ Rejector, you will bear His Wrath, and that wrath will find you dead and in hell, immediately after, if you die never having done this..."Jesus said....."YOU must be born again".
If you are not, you will go directly to hell, upon your last breath.

John 3:36
Well, certainly I don't want to go to prison.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Not in the least. Read Ephesians 2:8-10 and absorb what is written there.
I have.
You should read and absorb.
Works don't save.

Ephesians 2 BSB
8For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

Now read the rest, so as not to contradict verses 8-9 as you did.
This is what we do after we are saved by God's grace.

10For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life.a
Footnotes: 10 a Literally which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 

God wrote our names in his Lamb's Book of [Eternal] Life before the foundation of the world.
We did not choose Jesus, he chooses us. John 15 BSB

No one comes to Jesus but the father calls them.And he will never lose us. Nor will anyone take us from his hand.
John 6 BSB

John 10 BSB

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone who thinks or insists they have to work to retain or gain salvation mocks Christ.

No, it’s these.

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.” (Galatians 6:7-8)

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
On the other hand, children of God must strive for perfection AFTER they are saved. So you need to present a balanced view of this, or anything else.
You misunderstand Paul.
[URL='https://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/bible.show/sVerseID/30046/eVerseID/30046']https://biblehub.com/bsb/hebrews/6.htm#fnHebrews 6:1[/URL][/B]
1Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works,a and of faith in God,

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No, it’s these.a

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.” (Galatians 6:7-8)
''GALATIANS 6
As we come to the end of Paul's letter to the Christians in Galatia, we'll see once more the major themes that have dominated the previous chapter. We'll also get another clear picture of Paul's pastoral care and concern for the people of his flock.

Take a look at Galatians 6 here, and then we'll dig in.
Overview
When we arrive at the beginning of chapter 6, Paul has spent whole chapters of text hammering at the false doctrines of the Judaizers and imploring the Galatians to return to the message of the gospel. It's a bit refreshing, then, to see Paul tackle some practical matters within the church community as he wraps up his communication.

Specifically, Paul provided instructions for church members to actively restore fellow Christians who became tangled up in sin. Paul emphasized the need for gentleness and caution in such restoration. Having rejected the Old Testament law as a means of salvation, he did encourage the Galatians to "fulfill the law of Christ" by carrying one another's burdens.

Verses 6-10 are a great reminder that depending on faith in Christ for salvation doesn't mean we should avoid doing good things or obeying God's commandments. The opposite is true -- actions that are grounded in the flesh will produce the "works of the flesh" described in chapter 5, while a life lived in the power of the Spirit will produce an abundance of good works.

Paul concluded his letter by again summarizing his major argument: neither circumcision nor obedience to the law have any chance to connect us with God. Only faith in the death and resurrection can save us.

Verses...[more reading]
A Quick Look at Galatians 6

Don't let anyone be misled. Context is key.
When ithe above article says, ''...
depending on faith in Christ for salvation[/b] doesn't mean we should avoid doing good things or obeying God's commandments.''
What it is not saying, obviously due to the truth of our being saved by Christ, is that we work to attain or retain our salvation.

Nor, it must be reiterated, can we ever lose the free irrevocable gift of God's faith and salvation.

Be aware sister's and brothers, the enemy has apostles too.
They strive to weave confusion, and obscure the truth of Christ by any avenue available.

Ephesians 6:12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this world’s darkness, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

And sometimes, those powers lead flesh and blood to serve the darkness.Pray attention.