'I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you’

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DeHare

Jan 28, 2024
Ampang
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
But to whom does Genesis 12:3 refer to? Let’s explore some scriptural facts and historical evidences.

It was a promise made to the patriarch Abraham way before the 12 tribes of Israel came into existence and the seed was none other than Jesus Christ. As the apostle Paul clearly stated in Gal 3:16: “Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He does not say, ‘And to seeds,’ as of many, but as of one, ‘And to your Seed,’ who is Christ” (Gal. 3:16). This is the promised “seed” of the woman that would crush the serpent’s (satan’s) head (Gen. 3:15).

This clearly establishes the true identity of the Messiah and to whom the blessings and curses of Gen 12:3 are applicable. Therefore, any entity or nation that blesses Christians would be blessed by God. Leaving Christians communities alone to practise their faith is indeed a blessing. Persecuting, abetting or celebrating their persecution invites divine wrath.

Gen 12:3 can be tested and validated by observing the blessing and curses visited on nations based on their treatment of Christians.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But to whom does Genesis 12:3 refer to? Let’s explore some scriptural facts and historical evidences.

It was a promise made to the patriarch Abraham way before the 12 tribes of Israel came into existence and the seed was none other than Jesus Christ. As the apostle Paul clearly stated in Gal 3:16: “Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He does not say, ‘And to seeds,’ as of many, but as of one, ‘And to your Seed,’ who is Christ” (Gal. 3:16). This is the promised “seed” of the woman that would crush the serpent’s (satan’s) head (Gen. 3:15).

This clearly establishes the true identity of the Messiah and to whom the blessings and curses of Gen 12:3 are applicable. Therefore, any entity or nation that blesses Christians would be blessed by God. Leaving Christians communities alone to practise their faith is indeed a blessing. Persecuting, abetting or celebrating their persecution invites divine wrath.

Gen 12:3 can be tested and validated by observing the blessing and curses visited on nations based on their treatment of Christians.

Very true. The promises initially applied to the nation Israel can now be applied to Christian nations or to Christian individuals. But there is no question that at one time those blessings were applied primarily to Israel, the only nation on earth that served the true God as a nation.

One thing I might point out for your consideration... It is often thought that the singular "seed" promised to Abraham necessarily excludes Israel and any nation, since Christian theocracies have virtually ceased to exist with Israel in ancient times, and more recently with the decline of Christian Europe.

In reality, the singular "seed" was never meant to exclude Israel since it was, ultimately, a theocracy devoted to the true God as a nation. The blessing was *not* reserved only to the time after Christ had come! Clearly, it applied to Abraham before Christ had come, and extended to Isaac, Jacob, and to the 12 tribes of Israel.

I could likely prove this from how the blessing was applied in OT times, biblically. For example, that appears to be how the book of Esther was intended to be interpreted. And in the story of Balaam, the prophet could not curse Israel. However, my intention here is to explain how Paul meant Gal 3.16 to be understood.

I think Paul was explaining that the promise was not purely racial or biological, but primarily, of faith. Christ is a collective singularity, and not purely individualistic. To say Christ was a singular "seed" is to say that he incorporated and incorporates all those of faith, OT and NT. This would, of course, include those in Israel of faith in the OT period. It would, on the other hand, exclude a multiplicity of people if it included those who did not have faith.

DeHare

Jan 28, 2024
Ampang
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
I agree. It's through the seed of Abraham that all the families of the earth shall be blessed.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. [29] And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise.(Galatians 3:28-29)

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think Paul was explaining that the promise was not purely racial or biological, but primarily, of faith
True. In fact it always was exclusively of faith and obedience. God slew racial biological Israelites by the tens of thousands when they rebelled and apostasized into unfaithfulness and disobedience.

God was not, is not, and never will be, a racist.

Notwithstanding the incessant efforts of those of "Christian" Zionism et al who attempt to contort Him into one.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

I would paraphrase Genesis 12:3 in this manner which puts a very different spin on this verse: -

3 I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And through you shall be blessed
All the families {of this world}, who inhabiting My fertile field/soil.
(1)"
Note 1: - The Hebrew Root of הָאֲדָמָֽה, H:0127, is adamah which has the meaning of soil, and the Hebrew Word hā·’ă·ḏā·māh is akin to the fertile field/face of the land/world.

הָאֲדָמָֽה is also found in Genesis 2:7 where it has the same meaning: -

Genesis 2:7: - 7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of His fertile soil/field, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

One could argue that what is being said here is that all of the peoples of the world that occupy God’s fertile field/soil will be blessed. The flip side of this covenant Promise is that all of the people who do not occupy God’s fertile field/soil will not be Blessed but rather will die the Second Death.

Shalom

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. In fact it always was exclusively of faith and obedience. God slew racial biological Israelites by the tens of thousands when they rebelled and apostasized into unfaithfulness and disobedience.

God was not, is not, and never will be, a racist.

Notwithstanding the incessant efforts of those of "Christian" Zionism et al who attempt to contort Him into one.
Yes, though I would have to add one caveat--those who have been judged or who have yet to be liberated from judgment can still be saved. Can saved Christians be judged? Yes, not eternally, but they can pay the consequences of severe sin. A Christian who commits murder, and then repents, can be saved and still face the electric chair.

Not all Israelites who died in the wilderness will, I think, be damned to Hell. Not all Christians who suffer death because of their foolishness will go to Hell. But your racial makeup will never guarantee your Salvation. That's true! One must embrace Christ by faith to be saved, regardless of how successful we are in life.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

I agree. We must always balance the knowledge of this (a) with the fact that the promise applied to a nation called Israel before the time of Christ (as Randy Kluth pointed out), and most important of all we need also to balance it with this statement-of-fact:

"They are beloved for the father's sakes."

"As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as concerning the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes." -- Romans 11:28.

If "they" in the above verse refers to the elect who believe in Christ, then it makes no sense to say that they are enemies concerning the gospel, but we know that "they" refers to the natural seed who were broken off from the elect due to unbelief. It does not say they are saved or still part of the elect for the sake of the fathers, but God does still love them for the sake of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Meaning they are now Christ's lost sheep - and we know how He feels about His lost sheep.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
God returns to dealing with the Jew, right after the "time of the Gentiles" ends.

Set your watch, as its soon... very soon.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That idea which God said to Abraham in Genesis 12:3 is included in God's Birthright first given to Abraham. The Birthright included The Gospel of Jesus Christ (see Galatians 3 and Romans 4).

1. From Abraham that Birthright went to his son Isaac.

2. Then from Isaac, it went to his son Jacob whom The Angel gave the new name of Israel to represent God's Birthright Promises.

3. Then it went from Jacob to his son Joseph.

4. Then God's Birthright finally wound upon Joseph's two sons Ephraim and Manasseh where it still is to this day. Jacob said Ephraim's seed would become "a multitude of nations" (Gen.48).

5. God had made Jeroboam of the tribe of Ephraim king over the northern ten tribes, called the "kingdom of Israel" and "house of Israel".

6. Because the northern ten tribes fell away into Baal idol worship, God scattered them and removed to captive to Assyria and the lands of the Medes. To this day they have never returned to the holy land as a people, but became as Gentiles, living among Gentiles, and losing their heritage as part of old Israel.

7. God moved the ten tribe "house of Israel" into the wilderness, further scattering them to new lands, and took the names of Baali out of their mouths, and gave them a new covenant (see Book of Hosea). There He would speak softly to them, and they would call Him "Ishi".

8. The tribe of Ephraim became the head tribe over the ten tribes, their making up the majority.

The ten tribes were further scattered to the West, to the lands of Asia Minor and Europe. This is why when Apostle Paul after Christ was crucified, wanted to go preach The Gospel in Asia, but The Holy Spirit would not allow it, because Jesus had said that He was not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel (ten scattered tribes). This is why Paul wound up in Rome as a prisoner, and allowed to preach The Gospel there at his house for two years. And Paul mentioned wanting to visit the brethren in Spain, and also wrote greetings to Pudens, Claudia, and Linus who had history in Roman service in Britain. Their son Linus would become the first bishop of Rome.

Where do you think Ephraim's "multitude of nations" were established? Certainly not in the holy land. They are represented by the western Christian nations of history established first in Asian Minor and Europe. And from there, ambassadors in Christ would be sent to other nations and peoples in all lands would become members of Christ's Church!

DeHare

Jan 28, 2024
Ampang
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Paul warned us against obsessing with foolish genealogies. "But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." (Titus 3:9). The law Paul was referring to dealt with Old Covenant era Jews. In my opinion 20th century history, theology (especially escathalogy) had been reinterpreted in tandem with the rise of modern Zionism (there were other nationalist/internationalist forces at work at the same time). The Young Turks and Marxist phenomena are just two examples.

I am still wondering whether anyone has ever written or preached on the subject of blessings or curses which befall a nation based on its treatment of Christian believers. If anyone has any link or book to recommend, I'd be obliged. That was the both the crux and intention of the main article posted.

DeHare

Jan 28, 2024
Ampang
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
A few more points to ponder. Pontius Pilate himself was cursed the moment he allowed Jesus to be condemned to a painful death and subsequently died a horrible death as a result. Based on Pilate's troubled conscience during Jesus' sham trial, God had warned Pilate's wife in a dream. He apparently wanted to give Pilate a chance to spare himself of an impending judgement. Even so, one of Jesus last words to Pilate was "Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin" (John 19:11).

Since we are the Body of Christ, aren't we protected the same way by the Blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony (Revelation 12:11)?

We have had false prophets invoking "the touch not my anointed" verse many times but isn't this actually applicable to the faithful church?

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

I would paraphrase Genesis 12:3 in this manner which puts a very different spin on this verse: -

3 I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And through you shall be blessed
All the families {of this world}, who inhabiting My fertile field/soil.
(1)"
Note 1: - The Hebrew Root of הָאֲדָמָֽה, H:0127, is adamah which has the meaning of soil, and the Hebrew Word hā·’ă·ḏā·māh is akin to the fertile field/face of the land/world.

הָאֲדָמָֽה is also found in Genesis 2:7 where it has the same meaning: -

Genesis 2:7: - 7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of His fertile soil/field, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

One could argue that what is being said here is that all of the peoples of the world that occupy God’s fertile field/soil will be blessed. The flip side of this covenant Promise is that all of the people who do not occupy God’s fertile field/soil will not be Blessed but rather will die the Second Death.

Shalom
Yes regarding Gods People ! for they are as Jesus said regarding, such as the ones who said Lord Lord look what we have done for you ? But Jesus turned to them and said, I do not know you !
So the fact is that only they who are truly born again do know who Jesus truly is in fact and that they are his and he is theirs in fact and anyone who Blesses such will be blessed and who is not worthy is cursed in fact ! for carnal people live under a curse in fact ! and religious people are only religious in fact, but one Must be born again in fact, for the Bible says so in fact ! that's the Key !

It's all about Christ Jesus ! and if you have a shadow of doubt in him, then you are not truly born again in fact !
I have 100 % faith in Christ Jesus and not only 99.9% ! not with a shadow of doubt at all !

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul warned us against obsessing with foolish genealogies. "But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." (Titus 3:9). The law Paul was referring to dealt with Old Covenant era Jews. In my opinion 20th century history, theology (especially escathalogy) had been reinterpreted in tandem with the rise of modern Zionism (there were other nationalist/internationalist forces at work at the same time). The Young Turks and Marxist phenomena are just two examples.

So forget about the genealogies written about Lord Jesus in Luke 3 and Matthew 1? That is what you are saying.

God's Prophecies about the "house of Judah" (Jews) and the "house of Israel" (ten tribes) is not about genealogy. It's about His chosen elect of Israel. So what if only a remnant of them will be left that believe on Jesus Christ, God is NOT going to take away their INHERITANCE AS HIS ISRAEL that He promised them.

Jer 31:35-36
35 Thus saith the LORD, Which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is His name:

If those ordinances depart from before Me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before Me for ever.
KJV

It's amazing what stupid ideas country preachers come up with that barely understand common English much less simple English in a good translation like the KJV. Just because brother Apostle Paul said there's no difference between believing Jew or Gentile, they think God ended His chosen Israel's inheritance that He promised their fathers back in Old Testament history? It's clear they don't really have a clue as to what Paul meant!

For FAITH on God's Promised Savior Jesus Christ, and the promise of eternal life, there is NO difference IN THAT FAITH between the Jew and Gentile which believe. The Jews that believe on Jesus believe the SAME Faith that Abraham believed, and the SAME with believing Gentiles, and in Galatians 3 Paul said that all those of FAITH inherit with faithful Abraham.

Get that, 'inherit with Abraham' into your minds brethren in Christ, because IF... there is NO MORE ISRAEL of the 'SEED' that God CHOSE, then it would mean us GENTILES in Christ would have NO inheritance with Abraham! God gave us a brain to use, and when it comes to the idea of 'religion', some folks play that instead of using common sense in God's written Word!

Thus Jesus promised His 12 Apostles they each would sit upon a throne judging the 12 tribes of Israel IN HIS FUTURE KINGDOM! And Ezekiel 47 and 48 shows the FUTURE re-establishing of all 12 tribes of Israel in Christ's future Kingdom back in the land which God Promised their fathers!

DeHare

Jan 28, 2024
Ampang
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
So you believe this research is the foundation for making an angelic human hybrid?

Very true. The promises initially applied to the nation Israel can now be applied to Christian nations or to Christian individuals. But there is no question that at one time those blessings were applied primarily to Israel, the only nation on earth that served the true God as a nation.

One thing I might point out for your consideration... It is often thought that the singular "seed" promised to Abraham necessarily excludes Israel and any nation, since Christian theocracies have virtually ceased to exist with Israel in ancient times, and more recently with the decline of Christian Europe.

In reality, the singular "seed" was never meant to exclude Israel since it was, ultimately, a theocracy devoted to the true God as a nation. The blessing was *not* reserved only to the time after Christ had come! Clearly, it applied to Abraham before Christ had come, and extended to Isaac, Jacob, and to the 12 tribes of Israel.

I could likely prove this from how the blessing was applied in OT times, biblically. For example, that appears to be how the book of Esther was intended to be interpreted. And in the story of Balaam, the prophet could not curse Israel. However, my intention here is to explain how Paul meant Gal 3.16 to be understood.

I think Paul was explaining that the promise was not purely racial or biological, but primarily, of faith. Christ is a collective singularity, and not purely individualistic. To say Christ was a singular "seed" is to say that he incorporated and incorporates all those of faith, OT and NT. This would, of course, include those in Israel of faith in the OT period. It would, on the other hand, exclude a multiplicity of people if it included those who did not have faith.

So forget about the genealogies written about Lord Jesus in Luke 3 and Matthew 1? That is what you are saying.
Not really. Genealogies ended with Christ.

God's Prophecies about the "house of Judah" (Jews) and the "house of Israel" (ten tribes) is not about genealogy. It's about His chosen elect of Israel. So what if only a remnant of them will be left that believe on Jesus Christ, God is NOT going to take away their INHERITANCE AS HIS ISRAEL that He promised them.

Jer 31:35-36
35 Thus saith the LORD, Which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is His name:

If those ordinances depart from before Me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before Me for ever.
KJV

It's amazing what stupid ideas country preachers come up with that barely understand common English much less simple English in a good translation like the KJV. Just because brother Apostle Paul said there's no difference between believing Jew or Gentile, they think God ended His chosen Israel's inheritance that He promised their fathers back in Old Testament history? It's clear they don't really have a clue as to what Paul meant!

For FAITH on God's Promised Savior Jesus Christ, and the promise of eternal life, there is NO difference IN THAT FAITH between the Jew and Gentile which believe. The Jews that believe on Jesus believe the SAME Faith that Abraham believed, and the SAME with believing Gentiles, and in Galatians 3 Paul said that all those of FAITH inherit with faithful Abraham.

Get that, 'inherit with Abraham' into your minds brethren in Christ, because IF... there is NO MORE ISRAEL of the 'SEED' that God CHOSE, then it would mean us GENTILES in Christ would have NO inheritance with Abraham! God gave us a brain to use, and when it comes to the idea of 'religion', some folks play that instead of using common sense in God's written Word!

Thus Jesus promised His 12 Apostles they each would sit upon a throne judging the 12 tribes of Israel IN HIS FUTURE KINGDOM! And Ezekiel 47 and 48 shows the FUTURE re-establishing of all 12 tribes of Israel in Christ's future Kingdom back in the land which God Promised their fathers!

Not really. Genealogies ended with Christ, specifically in Luke 3 and Matthew 1.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not really. Genealogies ended with Christ, specifically in Luke 3 and Matthew 1.
I really don't know why you're saying this to me? Genealogies are used wherever people want to use them. Under the Law, they faded away ultimately and progressively. There were genealogies to protect the various tribal inheritances. These faded as the tribes coalesced into a nation.

Even after Israel emerged as a nation genealogies were used to identify the tribe from which Messiah would come. And they continued to be used to identify the priesthood. That ended with the death of Christ.

None of this means that the people who emerged from these 12 tribes are no longer significant as a race and nation. Israel remains valid in terms of biblical prophecy. Israel has to be restored, in my opinion.

Other nations have to maintain some distinctions because God arranged for there to be a variety of nations. Many of these nations are defined by a predominant race. In that respect, with or without genealogies the racial factor is relevant. The promise of "many nations" to Abraham has yet to be fulfilled completely, in my opinion. This will take place after Jesus' Return.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

I was referring to potential modern genetic engineering, not to Jesus.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you are going to quote people, you need to do it properly, and not add your OWN words in the middle of a quote, like you did in post #14 above. I never said that, "Not really...." part, you wrongly added that just prior to what I wrote.

And that above part, "So forget... saying," is something I wrote, that you did not.

Thus you need to learn to quote others properly, instead of twisting the words of others.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Once again, you go directly against what is written in The New Testament by Apostle Paul, showing that you do not properly understand passages like Galatians 3:28; Romans 1:16; Romans 2:9; Romans 3:29; Romans 9:24; Romans 10:12; 1 Cor.12:13; and especially the following...

Eph 2:11-13
11 Wherefore remember,
that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
KJV

The believing Gentiles have come under those "covenants of promise"? What are those "covenants of promise", and where did they originate per God's Word?

The Promises God first gave to the 'seed' through Abraham! and then Isaac! and then to Jacob who's new name God gave him is ISRAEL (Genesis 32:28).

Thus Apostle Paul referred to those "covenants of promise" in relation to that "commonwealth of Israel" idea he linked with those!

That means there ain't... no such thing as a separate Salvation for believing Gentiles like some would like to believe. We Gentiles in Christ have come under the SAME covenants of Promise from God that believing Israel has come under, which are about God's Birthright Promises and Blessing He first gave to Abraham and includes the Promise by Faith, i.e., The Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Like Jesus said at the end of John 8, that Abraham rejoiced to see Christ's day, and was glad.